PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you were laid off today?

killramos
06-24-2015, 06:56 AM
As an addition to the other layoffs threads i think it would be interesting to hear peoples perspective on what their plan is for a potential layoff. Also give some people ideas of what they can do if the time comes. Kind of targeted towards O&G professionals downtown but anyone can chime in.

I think i would consider writing the GMAT and getting an MBA application together to see if i could get in ( mostly a lack of work experience holding me back but who knows ). My severance would take a good chunk out of the tuition and i would go back to working as a part time student to pay the bills.

If that didn't pan out I have a buddy who just founded a startup who wants me, to risky for me to leave my job and generous salary/benefits package for but if i am hung out to dry already then why not :dunno: .

I feel like i have so many options now that the wife isn't in school :bigpimp:

So lets hear it beyond. What are your plans or lack thereof for dealing with a layoff?

A790
06-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Sell my townhouse, use the cash to pay for essential bills while I build a new business of some kind.

The_Penguin
06-24-2015, 07:06 AM
I'd finish my bottle of Glenrothes '95.
After sobering up, I'd start calling every contact I could think of, letting them know I'm available.

Boosted131
06-24-2015, 07:22 AM
I've been laid off IT oil n gas since January ... It sucks but the free time isn't so bad. Been trying to find work since January though

killramos
06-24-2015, 07:34 AM
^ That sucks to hear have you picked up a min wage job or something in the meantime to help pay the bills?

I worked at a Starbucks for 2 years in highschool, I think I could go back to it. Its not glamorous but its work.

pheoxs
06-24-2015, 07:37 AM
I keep a decent emergency fund so mostly just scale back expenses, less going out, cancel some holiday trips maybe, and such. It wouldn't be until the >3 month mark that I start looking at more drastic options.

Boosted131
06-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by killramos
^ That sucks to hear have you picked up a min wage job or something in the meantime to help pay the bills?

I worked at a Starbucks for 2 years in highschool, I think I could go back to it. Its not glamorous but its work.
Severance package. Plus EI. It works, just not that great. EI pays more than mc Donald's would pay me

Tik-Tok
06-24-2015, 07:55 AM
I would enjoy 3 months of summer, then get another job :dunno:

CompletelyNumb
06-24-2015, 08:06 AM
I'm in that camp. Got married this spring too. After paying for the wedding, i had 3 months living expenses. Now entering my 5th month.

Took me one month to get a seasonal local gig to help with groceries etc. Wife's been looking for two, no luck (paralegal diploma).

NoPulp
06-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Worst case go work at a previous job. Though I don't think it would take very long to get another job in my field, just got offered another last week.

I've never been laid off, but in the case it happens you just have to shake it off and don't take in personally. Jump back into the pool and show case your skills or go back to school to obtain some skills.

Sugarphreak
06-24-2015, 08:21 AM

mr2mike
06-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131

Severance package. Plus EI. It works, just not that great. EI pays more than mc Donald's would pay me

EI does not kick in till after your severance runs out.
As well, you may never qualify for EI for a very long time.

EI takes what THEIR calculation is to live. Divide that by your severance then that's when you could start to collect EI.
Talked to a former co-worker and with is, he is something like 4 years down the road...

dirtsniffer
06-24-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure I would ditch engineering for a while and go get into construction for a couple years.

Or try to get into working at a small brewery.

timdog
06-24-2015, 08:55 AM
in order:

1. get drunk
2. immediately start putting out feelers to various contacts
3. file for EI depending on my severance
4. start looking for jobs out of province, just for fun. never had the balls to do that and consider moving while i had a cushy job here.

either way the priority would be to keep an income coming in as quick as possible. i have some rainy day funds but i have a wife, mortgage and young child.

vengie
06-24-2015, 09:01 AM
I'd go through my contact lists and try to drum something up. If not, fall back on other gained skills, class 1 license so drive just about anything, bartend, bouncer etc... really anything necessary to get by!
But we are smoking busy again, and hiring back field employees, here's hoping its sustainable!

This is my first downturn working in O&G, and while stressful, its definitely a learning experience! I will be much better prepared for the next one.

nicknolte
06-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I've been applying for work out in BC, and even done a few formal skype interviews. While the job market does seem more active there, I have been running into road blocks. In addition to the issues I mentioned above, companies in BC are very reluctant to hire out of province.
[/B]

As much as I used to shit on newfies for coming out here and stealing our jerbs, I have a bit more respect for them now after being forced to resort to the same thing, haha

However, as you mentioned, BC companies don't seem willing to take our cast-offs

killramos
06-24-2015, 09:20 AM
^ my brother was recently laid off from a mac electrician job an decided to move out to Van Isl. with his gf and where most of my family lives. I told him he better get a new drivers license and replate his truck if he wants to find work :rofl:

He hasnt taken my advice yet and shockingly he is still unemployed.:rolleyes:

Sugarphreak
06-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Boosted131
06-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

EI does not kick in till after your severance runs out.
As well, you may never qualify for EI for a very long time.

EI takes what THEIR calculation is to live. Divide that by your severance then that's when you could start to collect EI.
Talked to a former co-worker and with is, he is something like 4 years down the road... I know, it took a few months to get my first EI check. At least it's good for like 52-54 weeks from the time it starts

BavarianBeast
06-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Start up my brewery!

HiTempguy1
06-24-2015, 09:33 AM
I get a hefty severance and additional cash out of the pension due to "over contributing" with how well the fund has been doing lately.

First step would be to clear any debts owing, which I basically have done anyways. Only obligation I have is when I take posession of my condo in May 2016... And I can sell it right away if necessary, super high demand.

From there, it would depend on what time of the year it was. First step would be to try to find a new job. While doing so, there are a lot of "housekeeping" items I'd like to take care of in life, as well as probably go on a cheap trip somewhere for a week or two.

If no success lining up a job that pays decent and/or that I want, I'd go back to school for whatever is being forecasted as being in demand. Degree in business possibly, or back to NAIT for electrical engineering technologist.

I'm getting my side business up and running, should be a cool $20k-$30k per year net in my pocket so that will help me float! :D

lasimmon
06-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Drink all the beer.

After the recovery I would hit up my network see if anything comes through.

I would likely work out a lot in an attempt to get in better shape.

If nothing comes down the pipeline, I would go sit at the parents Beach house and enjoy the summer.

nickyh
06-24-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm currently on EI for mat leave so I have first hand experience on how little EI would pay, my husband and I have cut back on any wants and only paying for our needs. It's funny how little we've spent on groceries and gas since I've been off. My credit card was getting a good workout prior to leaving work and now my whole month of transactions fits in one screen view.

We have a healthy savings account if my job is no longer available or if my company no longer exists when I get back. I would hope that I would get a decent severance and have stock options / RSU's that "could" fill the income gap for a while, of course I've learned never to bank on cash because once you do it never pans out as expected.
I would sell my car, my husband would also sell his more expensive motor bike, we would not have monthly childcare costs.
I have a reliable contact, a former boss, who will need someone with my skill set when my mat leave is over next year so depending on my company I might have something there and I have a few other industry contacts that could help me out. Again, being realistic that their words today may not mean anything next year.
I'd even consider cashing out RRSPs if it came to that.
I don't think we would need to sell the house and downsize, but at least we have equity in it right now. I teased my husband that we should sell the house and go buy a condo so I can be a full time stay at home mom, he did not find that too funny. We'd be able to live off his salary that way, oh well...

I'd be more than happy to work at Safeway stocking shelves or ringing through groceries at the checkout.

gkAeris
06-24-2015, 09:43 AM
honestly if I was laid off today, I would go and take a couple of months vacation......we been putting off our big vacation for 8 months now since last year and just working incase we get laid off. its always if you have money you have no time, if you have time you have no money.

after that I probably would just chill out for a bit, I been working for 20+ years now (with a short break in 2008 due to layoffs). it is nice to take a break and collect some EI. Maybe after a year or two I will enter the workforce again, back into O&G.

back in 2008 when I got let go from O&G I immediately went back to working at an optemetry clinic and waitressing. I hated it....but it made me to who I am today. I learned to save up the $ in case of the rainy day so that I do not need to go back to two jobs......andddddddddddddddd having a rich frugal husband doesn't hurt too. lol :bigpimp:

Chemengsait
06-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Go back to school and get a degree in engineering, also investing in stocks.

vengie
06-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Start up my brewery!

Lets do it. :clap:

Hallowed_point
06-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Move to the Oakanagan (Summerland) and pick blueberries for a living. Become a free-man of the land. Stop paying taxes. Learn how to play the bongos.

dirtsniffer
06-24-2015, 10:05 AM
I'll work for beer!

revelations
06-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Having been laid off, twice (in different careers)... the key thing is to view the setback as temporary and as a jumping board to something better.

After being let go from Air Canada back in 2003, I took 3 months off and traveled the world for pennies on the dollar (unlimited standby travel). My only regret was to not fly one way on the Concorde as I knew they would be retired soon - but 2500$ was just too much back then.

And, I cannot emphasize this enough ***do NOT simply do nothing**** Volunteer, help out others or get busy with things you know need to be done around the house (projects), this WILL look excellent on a resume, and will pay back in terms of the laws of compensation.

msommers
06-24-2015, 10:35 AM
I was looking for a change in position from Wellsite Geologist around September/October last year and decided going back to get a Masters was the way to shake things up, be more marketable to downtown and investigate if research is something I'd enjoy more. I've been accepted and will do that but my reasoning has change drastically. It's rather unfortunate that I got so little work last winter, getting 1/3 of what I normally make in that timeframe is going to strain me quite heavily while being a student again, so in some regards I did get laid-off or breakup came (quite) prematurely.

However, it's given me a lot of time to consider other options than the O&G desk job I thought was the key to happiness, what's important to me and ultimately how much constraint on my living location. If all I know and can be hired for is O&G, that really restricts my options. Not that living in Calgary would be any problem, but the lack of choice would and does bother me.

When I was done for the season, I relaxed and focused on my photography, evaluated my priorities, but soon was able to pick up a job in my field and another in something completely different. I can enjoy sitting still and lazing around but after a week I found it impossible to continue on that path and maintain my sanity.

Graham_A_M
06-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Well, so far this has been the jest of my tenure as a jobless hobo.
Step one. Order 6, eight balls and a family pack of straws.
step two. Hire a small army of Thai midget hookers... which can be surprisingly difficult, as most party rental shops don't seem to rent such a thing. Strange. That and I'm getting tired of the awkward silence on the other end of the phone line when I ask for three buses full of midgets dressed up in nothing but Tibetan loin skin thongs and glitter bombs
Step three. Buy a 43.7 liter tub of Astroglide.
Step four. Rent a another nice house through Air B&B, preferably in the NW again.
Step five. Invite my other former Co workers that were laid off the same time from the same company for an all out coke infused midget circle jerk gangbang.
Step six. Rinse and repeat on the daily until I get hired back in my trade. Which is hopefully quite soon as the 8 balls, midgets and astroglide is starting to add up $$$$ wise. :( Fricking EI is only going so far too.

ExtraSlow
06-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Top money saving tip, the fill-sized Thai hookers are cheaper than the midgets for some reason. Probably a similar risk of the ladyboy situation. All in all, much better value.

Manhattan
06-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Having been laid off, twice (in different careers)... the key thing is to view the setback as temporary and as a jumping board to something better.

After being let go from Air Canada back in 2003, I took 3 months off and traveled the world for pennies on the dollar (unlimited standby travel). My only regret was to not fly one way on the Concorde as I knew they would be retired soon - but 2500$ was just too much back then.

And, I cannot emphasize this enough ***do NOT simply do nothing**** Volunteer, help out others or get busy with things you know need to be done around the house (projects), this WILL look excellent on a resume, and will pay back in terms of the laws of compensation.

So you listed traveling 3 months on your resume? Traveling is not doing nothing but it's not something I'd throw on a job application. Same goes for projects around the house. Employers don't want your life story on a resume. Just sounds like you had an extra long vacation. :dunno:

CanmoreOrLess
06-24-2015, 11:30 AM
It takes a losing your job to do what you really want to do with the rest of your life? On your deathbed, you're not going to be satisfied putting in decades at a job you dislike.

revelations
06-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan

So you listed traveling 3 months on your resume? Traveling is not doing nothing but it's not something I'd throw on a job application. Same goes for projects around the house. Employers don't want your life story on a resume. Just sounds like you had an extra long vacation. :dunno:

No I did not list that, I did answer the interviewers question regarding missing time between jobs and they said they would have done the same (use the essentially free flights) in the same situation.

I did list my volunteer positions that I worked in my resume though.

finboy
06-24-2015, 12:19 PM
At this point, likely cry myself to sleep.

I just went through 10 months of unemployment. Before landing this job, I had savings enough to last for 6 months, and didn't expect to be out of work almost a year, and am starting from zero. My experience wasn't much unlike phreak's, a lot of people who I had helped in the past or had references either couldn't help due to the market, or wouldn't. I looked at getting into a sait fast track program, but not thinking I would be unemployed for 10 months, and not knowing when opportunities would come back, I held off and job hunted.

We're it to happen again, I would take evening/weekend shorter courses to pivot my career direction, and scrub more things off my resume. I worked semesters off while in school, thinking the experience would be of value on a resume. Unfortunately, despite directly calling out the fact it was during school, using infographics, etc. it seems a lot of people still ask "why were these job stints so short?" It became such a frustration that if I had to hunt again, I would just wipe out all experience from school, mark it down as school for 4 straight years, and rely on the year and a half experience before, and the 3 years after.

The gap on my resume is pretty brutal, thankfully that one can be described easier as taking time off after working straight for 5 years with no real time off. People seemed much more open to the idea of travelling for a few months, than working during the summer in school.

XylathaneGTR
06-24-2015, 12:47 PM
My (former) manager's plan was to go hang out in San Diego over the summer as an uber driver. He doesn't get to action that plan just yet, he was transferred out to another department.

Me, I think I'd go away for a little bit...vancouver or something. too depressing to stick around here.

KO22
06-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Can't believe I am saying this but if today I was laid off I would be happy as shit. Having worked full time in O&G downtown in a demanding job, while going to school full time at nights for the last 2 years has made me completely burnt out.

I just graduated a few days ago and can't focus on work at the moment, at all. I have been contemplating off and on to just quit my job and go on a lengthy vacation all over the world, which I said I would since starting university. I would help out my grandparents fixing up their place in Europe, live cheap and free there during the summers and just travel around there and the world. If money run's dry, I can even work on a beach in Crotia if I wanted to cause of my EU passport.

My contract run's up at the end of December, don't know if I should just wait, or just go travel. Got enough savings to be out of work for quite some time, no debt, no gf at the moment, nothing really stopping me now except a decision whether or not to give up my job.

suntan
06-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Probably start webcam sex shows.

Chandler_Racing
06-24-2015, 01:09 PM
1. Have a six pack of beer
2. Travel
3. Return home and reduce costs
4. Send resumes out; reach out to my network
5. Wait for a response
6. Profit

phreezee
06-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I'd get my PiMP and start a business :bigpimp:

Redlined_8000
06-24-2015, 01:27 PM
As my place just recently laid off 5 employees in my position, I have thought about this!

1 - Go play golf as I am right about to do in 20 min.
2 - Go get drunk.
3 - Most likely, buy a ticket to Greece, and stay there for at least a month, maybe 2.
4 - Come back to Calgary. Brush up resume, Apply for jobs in Calgary and Fort Mac in my field.
5 - Land a job. Most likely will be in Fort mac... Maybe fly in fly out.
6 - Wait for economy to rebound and try to land a decent paying job in Calgary.
7 - Worst comes to worst, sell the c63. Then sell my house.
8 - If all else fails, Either get my 2nd Class Power Eng or go to the states for Mech Engineering degree.

ercchry
06-24-2015, 01:31 PM
straight to the lake till its too cold... then maybe pick up a couple roommates when i get back, then i could live off EI like nothing happened... probably finally get around to finishing up my neglected bike, and the datsun... then i dunno, food truck? that could be fun

Tik-Tok
06-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
I'd get my PiMP and start a business :bigpimp:

You would get a pimp? So, you would be the hooker?

phreezee
06-24-2015, 02:30 PM
^^That's a professional designation.
I do refer to my recruiters as my pimps tho...

Graham_A_M
06-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Damn K022, how does a person get their EU passport? Frick I'd kill for one. I'm just so fucking sick of Alberta and Sask. Fuck I need a long change of scenery. I'd love to work in Italy or anywhere else in Europe for a while.

As for me? I was laid off on March 3rd. Which was perfectly fine with me as I had to go to the farm for spring seeding and everything else. In late Oct I'm going to sait for my third year millwright then possibly 4th right after. We'll see what happens... but in my trade, work is pretty limited unless I wanted to work in a sector well outside of O & G such as facility maintenance or the like. Problem is, OG is where the big money is... so i may have to keep busy doing something unrelated just to survive until things pick up. :( sure am glad I got into this trade last year though, wow being an essentially unskilled laborer right now would kill me, it's like starting fresh ALL over again, which I'm so Damn sick of doing.

When things do pick up though, up to Fort Mac I go to make some serious bank. I'll likely reinvest the money into expanding the farm significantry, as it's a decent investment. Just farm March to Oct, work up north between those months in my farming off season and keep doing that.

In a short while I'll be looking for additional help at the farm though, so I'll make a post if anybody wants a cash job off the books between August till early Nov.

KO22
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I was born in Europe and moved to Canada when I was 6. Plan is to later on move back, but I know the feeling of wanting to get the hell out of Alberta/Sask! I lived in Flaxcombe for a while and that was torture LOL.

flipstah
06-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Try a different field and see where it takes me.

YES TO FOOD TRUCK.

Mibz
06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Try a different field and see where it takes me.

YES TO FOOD TRUCK. As far as I can tell, your current field is "Bum".

ercchry
06-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
As far as I can tell, your current field is "Bum".

hanging around with a bad crowd... the VW life is killing his priorities, could be earning money and banking his vacation pay for rnd5 of layoffs... but no... #vwlyfe

Manhattan
06-24-2015, 03:41 PM
I'd be tempted drive around 'Murica like this...

wKPa3uVddbU

max_boost
06-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Take a nice vacation or walk across the street and get another service job lol

Condo paid. Cars paid. No care. However damn that would suck not being able to fulfill my duty as the Beyond Budget Baller.

G
06-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Thing is even if its all paid you still need to pay fixed costs like utilities, taxes, maintenance...etc...life a bitch...:banghead:

max_boost
06-24-2015, 04:28 PM
haha yup. Plan B was to charge the gf rent. lol :rofl:

killramos
06-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
haha yup. Plan B was to charge the gf rent. lol :rofl:

Works so long as you are ok ok with her charging you for... Other things :poosie:

From there it's more up to your preferences as to if its a net benefit or not :rofl:

Cos
06-24-2015, 04:47 PM

Tik-Tok
06-24-2015, 04:52 PM
I thought you already tried the "BC" thing, and didn't like it ?

max_boost
06-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Works so long as you are ok ok with her charging you for... Other things :poosie:

From there it's more up to your preferences as to if its a net benefit or not :rofl:

I like it. Keep it real. True love comes at a cost. haha

msommers
06-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I like it. Keep it real. True love comes at a cost. haha

:rofl: :rofl: Sign up for some Holt membership for life and get haggled discounts on VL purses

Cos
06-24-2015, 05:49 PM

Feruk
06-24-2015, 06:10 PM
I'd jerk off a ton and try to get in better shape...

ExtraSlow
06-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Load up the trailer with about 99 bottles of beer and go hide out in K-country for a couple weeks. Probably have to take at least one of the kids.

spikerS
06-24-2015, 07:56 PM
build more decks and fences for more beyonders. With how busy everyone here keeps me, I have to ask "what downturn?"

heavyfuel
06-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Jesus fuck.... thanks for this thread OP! I only read 2 pages and no matter how slow shit it for me right now I suddenly feel 10 million times better about everything!

What would I do tho? Rent a small commercial space and open up a booze can. Just have a runner taking the money off site every 15 minutes, or sell vouchers beforehand, that way it's a "private party" and you can serve all the liquor you want lol. Can't prove otherwise without the money haha maybe even step it up and have after hours beer delivery. $60-$80/case of 12 at 5 am lol

l/l/rX
06-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I would enjoy 3 months of summer, then get another job :dunno:

Good thing I didn't go this route; 4 months later still no job... imagine if I went on vacation, came back and no money to left to pay my mortgage.

I'm joining the reserves as my part time job/ something I always wanted to do as well as slowly working towards my designation (but again tough when there's no source of income and the classes are expensive as fuuuuck).