PDA

View Full Version : Shiba Inu v2

Robnaldo
06-24-2015, 09:13 PM
So my sister moved in with her 6 month old Shiba Inu and I am trying to help train it.

Holy shit....this dog is hard to train.

I have a 2 year old Goldendoodle I raised from 8 weeks, who is very high energy and relatively stubborn, but with time I have trained her reasonably well. (awesome walking, reliable recall)

This Shiba just doesn't give a fuck! She seems to have 0 interest in bonding or interacting with humans.

I know we have a bunch of Shiba owners on here. Any Shiba tips?

firebane
06-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Shiba trains you not the other way :nut:

lilmira
06-24-2015, 09:45 PM
It takes awhile for a shiba to trust you. When it does, you'll know. But it still doesn't mean it will do what you want it to do. They all have their own plans, the smarter ones more so. Love these dogs especially with the smiley faces.

It takes a lot of patience and consistency if you really want to train them. It can be done. Practically though, they train you 80% of the time.

spike98
06-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
It takes awhile for a shiba to trust you. When it does, you'll know. But it still doesn't mean it will do what you want it to do. They all have their own plans, the smarter ones more so. Love these dogs especially with the smiley faces.

It takes a lot of patience and consistency if you really want to train them. It can be done. Practically though, they train you 80% of the time.

And they are never ever ever ever to be trusted off leash. No matter how confident you are that you have them well trained, you always keep them attached outside.

AndyL
06-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Lol I think they covered it...

Shiba's are closer to cats than dogs. Very smart very independant.

That said - hand feeding and leashed to belt usually starts putting them into place... But yeah - not going to be easy - ever. And once you think your getting somewhere they'll pull the toddler test boundaries - if you fail - you'll be starting over fresh again...

lilmira
06-25-2015, 09:33 AM
There was a couple I met years ago at the shiba meetup thing at the dog park. They had their 2 shibas off leashed by their side. I don't know how they did it. I was mind blown. Mine would just bolt off the moment the leash comes off the collar.

spike98
06-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
There was a couple I met years ago at the shiba meetup thing at the dog park. They had their 2 shibas off leashed by their side. I don't know how they did it. I was mind blown. Mine would just bolt off the moment the leash comes off the collar.

I've seen one or two here any there. Its certainly not the norm nor would i still trust them lol. One rabbit and poof haha.

What has been surprisingly effective for mine is to have him hooked to a really really long rope. When we camp, we have him tied for the first day or so then when we get real tired of untangling him, we unhook it from the trailer. The weight of the rope (like 50ft) makes him think he is still hooked but he just wanders around not getting tangled real bad. If he does get far out, we only need to be within 50 feet of him. And with a shiba, thats easy, its the last 5 that make them run haha.

lilmira
06-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Haha, that's what Laura did when I put mine there for a few days. You are almost right about the 5m distance, it's more like 1m for mine. He'll wait for me to get close and reach out, then boom, haha jokes on me. I'll either have to set up a trap or use the slippery wood floor to my advantage. Outdoor? not a chance in hell.

klumsy_tumbler
06-25-2015, 10:17 AM
I second the umbilical cord training suggestion. It has to be consistent though, and you're probably going to have to put up with some furry tantrums happening at the other end of the leash lol

schurchill39
06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Everything here. Nailed it.

We got our adult Shiba two years ago and its only within the last 6 months that she has warmed up enough to listen (kind of). When its time for a walk she will come to the door but just as I reach down to put her leash on she bolts and does a tour of the main floor. We repeat this for about 3-4 times until I take my shoes off and heard her into the corner by the door.

Its not going to be a couple month thing to "train" it (if you can ever say they are trained). It was 6 months or so before she understood that we stop at corners. She understands "whoa" and "okay lets go" and "no" when she decides she wants to listen.

But when they finally start trusting and listening to you its ones of the best feelings.

TurboMedic
06-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Mine is 11 now, and she has started to slow down. Finally can stand at an open door and she doesn't bolt. Super smart, very loyal, very protective especially of myself, my girl, and of the chihuahua. Not in a really aggressive manner, but in a steps in and stops whats going on. Its quite cute to watch. Gets along with 90% of dogs out there, but does really have to be the alpha. No off leashing at all, I do the same thing that was mentioned above and just not tie her to something after a day. Still the risk of her seeing something and starting chase but at least you can just jump onto the lead instead of try to grab a dog. Also tried to get out of my yard, successfully, by squeezing through the post and the chain link which seemed impossibly small. As soon as she got through the first one she knew the rest would be the same so she ran yard to yard squeezing through the same gap until she got to the pathway.....Nearly impossible to get her back. I use the neighbors kids or someone she hasn't seen yet so she gets excited and wants to see them.

In the end, persistence, not being afraid to be assertive and dominant to the dog, and they'll do ok.

legendboy
06-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Shibas are weird, more like a cat then a dog lol

Adrenaline101
06-28-2015, 01:42 AM
Don't own one but a few of the people I've talked to say they have an odd habit of only listening to one dominant person. Very much like my sibe who does everything but recall for me, and could give a rats ass what the gf tells her to do.

schurchill39
06-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Don't own one but a few of the people I've talked to say they have an odd habit of only listening to one dominant person. Very much like my sibe who does everything but recall for me, and could give a rats ass what the gf tells her to do.

Simi definitely listens to me more than the wife but we are both in dominant positions over her so if I'm not around then she knows the wife is in charge.

charlie2
07-14-2015, 07:51 AM
I've had my Shiba for 6 years now. She was very difficult to train and I gave up on anything but recall. We moved to 2 acres in the country with nothing but an invisible dog fence a year ago. She got zapped twice crossing it and has never tried again. She goes outside for hours without her collar and never leaves the yard. Its great.

As a pup she was very difficult to train, but as she gets older she gets more loyal, protective and easier to train.

Like they say, they shiba trains you and once they trust you its good from there.

Good Luck.