PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding headlights, which polishers/wax?

Typical_Chinese
06-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of wetsanding my headlights, and I'm sort of stuck on what polishing compounds and sealer/finishing wax to buy!

Looked around Canadian Tire, Walmart and Amazon.ca, and there's a lot of options.

I'm thinking of buying maybe the Novus 3 Heavy Polish, and maybe something a bit lighter. Wanted to get the Mothers PowerPolish bottle but couldn't find it in stores or on Amazon. As for the sealing wax, I found a bunch that are quite expensive $30-$40, and I'm not sure if this price is average or on the higher side of things. I was looking at the Zymol Wax.

Anyone have any suggestions? Are two polishing compounds and wax overkill? My headlights aren't too bad, but could use some love.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a drill :/

Thank you!

G-ZUS
06-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Talk to Chris @ CarZilla, he knows his stuff

If you want to borrow a drill, I can lend you one of my cordless ones while you do it

Typical_Chinese
06-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the help and offer as well! I could probably get a drill from a friend, but it's just apartment parking lot policy where only "light" work is allowed and no car washing, and I got a complaint or two before, once just for opening my damn hood to check my fluids. I could do it at a friend's house but don't want to trouble anyone, so I figured going at the headlights for an hour or two by hand is sort of the best way, just plug in earphones and zone out!

Let me contact Chris!

Hallowed_point
06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
I had amazing luck with the German product "Quixx" which I picked up at Canadian Tire. For a hand wet sand type product, I was thrilled with the results. Only took ~20 minutes for both lights.

Hallowed_point
06-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Gf's hyundai accident.

Typical_Chinese
06-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Did you buy a full kit sort of deal? I'm thinking of getting like a 3M Kit, those are pretty highly praised!

Hallowed_point
06-26-2015, 01:28 PM
It was a kit with sandpaper, compound etc. can't go wrong with 3M but I have no experience with their headlight kit.

Canmorite
06-26-2015, 01:40 PM
I used the 3M kit on my old Subaru Legacy and the headlights came out almost looking new. Takes some time and elbow grease, but well worth it.

Strider
06-26-2015, 01:42 PM
All of those compounds/kits are quite unnecessary

From an old thread...

Grab 1 sheet each of 600,1000,1500,2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wetsand your headlights.
Finish with Meguiars PlastX

google for a how-to

Typical_Chinese
06-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
It was a kit with sandpaper, compound etc. can't go wrong with 3M but I have no experience with their headlight kit.

Sweet, will pick that up after work today, thanks!

Originally posted by Canmorite
I used the 3M kit on my old Subaru Legacy and the headlights came out almost looking new. Takes some time and elbow grease, but well worth it.

Not a problem, plug in some earphones, zone out a bit and just go at it haha! Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Strider
All of those compounds/kits are quite unnecessary

From an old thread...

Hm actually this would be cheaper I think, sandpaper is almost free in terms of price, and that bottle could last me a while as well. Will look into them at CT this evening!

Thanks everyone!!

Thaco
06-26-2015, 02:44 PM
i actually just went out today and bought the materials to do this... cant beat $20 and will have plenty left over for other vehicles..

UEJbKLZ7RmM

CanmoreOrLess
06-26-2015, 02:47 PM
I did the headlights on an RSX, took all of 10 minutes with a 3M kit from Canadian Tire. I'd tape off the paint area to avoid damaging it.

Modelexis
06-28-2015, 08:56 PM
When you wet sand you are removing the factory UV coating from the headlights.

The key is to seal the headlights after they're polished, otherwise they will haze up quicker and worse than before.
You need a UV proof coating, or a clear film that is UV rated.
Clear coat spray would also work if it is UV rated properly.

Hallowed_point
06-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

The key is to seal the headlights after they're polished, otherwise they will haze up quicker and worse than before.
Clear coat spray would also work if it is UV rated properly. this is also an important detail! They do need to be protected afterwards. Otherwise it's like raw skin.

Typical_Chinese
06-29-2015, 09:29 AM
I decided to buy the 3M Kit from Amazon just because I'm too lazy/busy to go out for half an hour to CT to buy the stuff (I know I know I'm really lazy). The 3M kit comes with a protectant, and I decided to say screw it and borrowed a drill as well and if anyone from my apartment complains even if I do it when everyone's at work then whatever.

Hopefully it works well, and the protectant is also a UV "shield"!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Thaco
06-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Clear coat spray would also work if it is UV rated properly.

yeah that's what the guy says in the video i posted, that's why i got the exact same one he suggested, because it's non yellowing and UV protecting

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61GulmzmeVL._SY355_.jpg

Zero102
06-29-2015, 01:51 PM
I sanded and polished the headlights on my focus last year. They looked great for about 6 months then fogged over again. I did use a headlight "sealant" but I think maybe it was just a shitty one. I'll be re-doing them this year and I like the idea of clear coating the lights - where did you find that exact paint?

Thaco
06-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I sanded and polished the headlights on my focus last year. They looked great for about 6 months then fogged over again. I did use a headlight "sealant" but I think maybe it was just a shitty one. I'll be re-doing them this year and I like the idea of clear coating the lights - where did you find that exact paint? any hardware store.. i got mine at rona specifically.

whiskas
06-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Google "Opti-Lens" it's the best headlight sealant out there right now.

Thaco
07-08-2015, 07:57 PM
here's my car after doing the method i posted above, this is right after the clear was sprayed, so it's still tacky, i'll post another pic if anything changes, but i think this is how it'll say.. if not better after wax.

The 2 sides look different because of the position of the sun, and the car is dirty so the wet sanding and cleaning of he headlight cleaned the car a bit... but it should give a basic idea

Also, don't hate on my cheapass ricer lights, they were on the car when i bought it, lol.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57875389/junk/headlights.jpg

Modelexis
09-14-2015, 10:22 PM
for optimal clarity i would suggest using the headlight polish kit to wetsand and polish the spray paint after it's dry.

You can spray a few coats, maybe 2 or 3 so that you have lots of material to remove before you end up back on the plastic below.