PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Explodes on my wife's 2014 Nissan Rogue

Pages : [1] 2

ReasonOne
06-27-2015, 04:23 PM
I wanted to share our experience of yet another exploding sunroof concern. My wife was attending a course out of town in Spruce Grove, Alberta last Thursday when without warning on a secondary road with no other vehicles nearby - and a passenger as a witness - the sunroof exploded outward without warning. As reported by many other people, the sound was not unlike a gunshot going off. My wife almost lost control of the vehicle, and fortunately they were both unharmed yet shaken by the incident. Our vehicle is a well maintained 7 month old car with 14,000 km.

I contacted Royal Oak Nissan on Friday to describe what had happened. Without seeing the vehicle the sales manager and service advisor blamed the incident on a rock striking the sunroof. How could they know? They hadn't seen the vehicle or the damage yet. The sales manager contacted their warranty advisor by email and advised I would have to go through insurance and file a claim. Warranty does not cover glass. The cost of repairs is in the $1500-$2000 range. They offered to reduce the expense by a mere $200-$300 which is pointless if I have to file a claim and pay a deductible.

When my wife returned, we brought the car to the dealer Wednesday. I filed a complaint with Nissan Canada Customer Relations that day. They took my information and gave me a file number. They advised me to call the dealership's service department to request an inspection of the vehicle to help determine the cause of the incident. They advised it will take up to 5 business days to act on my request and by that time my vehicle might already be repaired (?!??) I followed their instructions and called the dealer. Their service department had no idea what I was referring to and said call back when the supervisor was in.

I called Thursday. Supervisor is dealing with another customer and not available. Called today. Telephone tag several times, and the only reason they actually needed to reach us was to get the approval of paperwork for insurance claim. Supervisor said there is nothing they can do regarding investigating cause of incident as they have almost completed the repairs. So what was the point of my complaint?

I received a message to call back Consumer Affairs with Nissan Canada. Called them back and same story - warranty doesn't cover glass. Once again, what was the point in repeating this complaint?

I've been a loyal customer (begrudgingly) due to my wife's love of Nissans. She purchased a 2001 Nissan Sentra from Sunridge Nissan after university, and it was relentlessly faithful until it was written off for hail damage. We purchased a brand new 2013 Rogue for her from Royal Oak Nissan which was also written off for hail damage ($22,000+). Even after the hail, the sunroof stood up to the abuse even though the windshield and rear window were destroyed. After that vehicle was destroyed in the Airdrie hail, my wife insisted on a new 2014 Rogue. Now 7 months after buying this vehicle I'm refused coverage under warranty and forced to file an insurance claim. I even paid for an extended warranty on the vehicle. And the dealer still insists that a rock struck the sunroof. Trying to show online accounts of other people with the same issue made no difference to them. Most complaints support the theory of poor quality glass, airtight interior cabin compartments causing pressure issues (hence exploding from the inside out)- or both. Neither of these is the fault of the customer.. It's poor materials and poor design on the manufacturers part in my opinion... And there should be a recall in place for such a thing.

They have permanently lost our business and I will never buy a Nissan again. We will probably sell it as soon as it makes financial sense to do so. Loyalty means nothing to some manufacturers. Out of all the online complaints I've heard... A few makes have made goodwill gestures and covered the expense, but I repeatedly see Nissan as a manufacturer that leaves their paying customers in a lurch.

revelations
06-27-2015, 04:35 PM
You might as well boycott other car makers as its a problem with at least 1/2 dozen other vehicles.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vehicles+exploding+sunroof&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=2iSPVebrINLvoAT10IH4BQ

Hallowed_point
06-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Gf had a very similar story with her used smart4two with pano roof. Parked it outside in the winter. Went to go to work in the morning, closed the door and roof explodes. Mercedes told her that this could only happen from a rock or some other non covered cause. Replacement cost was astrometrical so she sold it for parts basically. Pano roofs scare me.

cloud7
06-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Boycotting moonroofs altogether is the way to go. I rarely ever open mine and they add a lot of weight up top where you do not want it. Spontaneously exploding moonroofs is enough for me not to own a car with one if I can help it.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Royal Oak will do just fine without your irrational business. They are a good dealership and aren't trying to screw you.

Every car can do this, Alberta has a high rate of sunroof explosions. I have extra insurance on my pano sunroof after seeing EVERY type of car explode. Do some homework.

Tons of gravel on our roads, lots of trucks, fluctuating cabin pressures depending on a/c load, sunshine and cargo in the back, This makes for a bad situation for a tiny rock.

I drive with my sunroof cover closed unless the roof is open specifically for this issue.

NoPulp
06-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Would have been nice if the dealership could have responded better, but like they say glass isn't covered under warranty. Glass breaks, its what happens. Cars are constantly in contact with rocks + other crap and body movement, which doesn't agree with glass that much. I have my doubts about pressure causing glass to break though... are the cabins of these vehicles actually air tight? even so, the pressure difference shouldnt be enough.

If you feel like Nissan has poor quality, don't buy Nissan. I think you'll have to spend excessive amounts of money to buy a vehicle that has a significant difference in quality though.

max_boost
06-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Must have been scary. :eek:

I don't open mine. I simply enjoy having some light coming through.

Deetz
06-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Glass breakage like this is "very" common!!! We have a lot of rocks on our roads, and go through more glass than any other province. Having options like fog lights and sunroof's are nice, but they are subject to damage driving down the road any where. It also happens when a rock or somethings is picked up by a car or truck in front of you and is kicked up high in the air, coming back downward seconds later landing on your roof causing a break.

Working for Honda, Acura and Mercedes, all of these cars/trucks run the risk if you have the option

redblack
06-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ReasonOne
I wanted to share our experience of yet another exploding sunroof concern. My wife was attending a course out of town in Spruce Grove, Alberta last Thursday when without warning on a secondary road with no other vehicles nearby - and a passenger as a witness - the sunroof exploded outward without warning. As reported by many other people, the sound was not unlike a gunshot going off. My wife almost lost control of the vehicle, and fortunately they were both unharmed yet shaken by the incident. Our vehicle is a well maintained 7 month old car with 14,000 km.

I contacted Royal Oak Nissan on Friday to describe what had happened. Without seeing the vehicle the sales manager and service advisor blamed the incident on a rock striking the sunroof. How could they know? They hadn't seen the vehicle or the damage yet. The sales manager contacted their warranty advisor by email and advised I would have to go through insurance and file a claim. Warranty does not cover glass. The cost of repairs is in the $1500-$2000 range. They offered to reduce the expense by a mere $200-$300 which is pointless if I have to file a claim and pay a deductible.

When my wife returned, we brought the car to the dealer Wednesday. I filed a complaint with Nissan Canada Customer Relations that day. They took my information and gave me a file number. They advised me to call the dealership's service department to request an inspection of the vehicle to help determine the cause of the incident. They advised it will take up to 5 business days to act on my request and by that time my vehicle might already be repaired (?!??) I followed their instructions and called the dealer. Their service department had no idea what I was referring to and said call back when the supervisor was in.

I called Thursday. Supervisor is dealing with another customer and not available. Called today. Telephone tag several times, and the only reason they actually needed to reach us was to get the approval of paperwork for insurance claim. Supervisor said there is nothing they can do regarding investigating cause of incident as they have almost completed the repairs. So what was the point of my complaint?

I received a message to call back Consumer Affairs with Nissan Canada. Called them back and same story - warranty doesn't cover glass. Once again, what was the point in repeating this complaint?

I've been a loyal customer (begrudgingly) due to my wife's love of Nissans. She purchased a 2001 Nissan Sentra from Sunridge Nissan after university, and it was relentlessly faithful until it was written off for hail damage. We purchased a brand new 2013 Rogue for her from Royal Oak Nissan which was also written off for hail damage ($22,000+). Even after the hail, the sunroof stood up to the abuse even though the windshield and rear window were destroyed. After that vehicle was destroyed in the Airdrie hail, my wife insisted on a new 2014 Rogue. Now 7 months after buying this vehicle I'm refused coverage under warranty and forced to file an insurance claim. I even paid for an extended warranty on the vehicle. And the dealer still insists that a rock struck the sunroof. Trying to show online accounts of other people with the same issue made no difference to them. Most complaints support the theory of poor quality glass, airtight interior cabin compartments causing pressure issues (hence exploding from the inside out)- or both. Neither of these is the fault of the customer.. It's poor materials and poor design on the manufacturers part in my opinion... And there should be a recall in place for such a thing.

They have permanently lost our business and I will never buy a Nissan again. We will probably sell it as soon as it makes financial sense to do so. Loyalty means nothing to some manufacturers. Out of all the online complaints I've heard... A few makes have made goodwill gestures and covered the expense, but I repeatedly see Nissan as a manufacturer that leaves their paying customers in a lurch.

I don't think any car manufacturer covers glass damage. Your going to have to suck it up and go through insurance or pay out of pocket.

Tik-Tok
06-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by redblack

I don't think any car manufacturer covers glass damage. Your going to have to suck it up and go through insurance or pay out of pocket.

But they've bought TWO whole cars from them! Royal Oak should be giving them back massages while fixing their broken sunroof and apologizing profusely for their shoddy glass in a $25k car!

ReasonOne
06-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Now I fully understand that the sunroof issue is common on late model vehicles. We had extra insurance, it was covered as a no fault issue claim and I accepted the costs. My concerns lie with how I was treated at the dealership. I've been told "No" with much more grace and civility by other dealers in the past.

I've done my research. No rocks were involved during the incident. It occurred on a deserted secondary road with no other vehicles present. I've owned over 250 vehicles in my lifetime, and this is the first time such an incident has occurred. I buy older cars with an excellent track record on the whole. Whenever I have ever had had an issue in the past, dealers have been more accommodating or helpful.

It's funny, though. My 11 year old Acura has already been written off for hail damage. It has been through 3 hailstorms and the sunroof has been struck at least a dozen times directly by rock... And the original sunroof exists to this day. It's been such a reliable vehicle I intend to continue driving it until it stops running. I've owned many vehicles with sunroofs and have never had such an issue, even after being struck by rocks and various other debris.

spikerS
06-27-2015, 07:17 PM
XFOQbPhMHbk

rage2
06-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Now I fully understand that the sunroof issue is common on late model vehicles. We had extra insurance, it was covered as a no fault issue claim and I accepted the costs. My concerns lie with how I was treated at the dealership. I've been told "No" with much more grace and civility by other dealers in the past.

I've done my research. No rocks were involved during the incident. It occurred on a deserted secondary road with no other vehicles present. I've owned over 250 vehicles in my lifetime, and this is the first time such an incident has occurred. I buy older cars with an excellent track record on the whole. Whenever I have ever had had an issue in the past, dealers have been more accommodating or helpful.

It's funny, though. My 11 year old Acura has already been written off for hail damage. It has been through 3 hailstorms and the sunroof has been struck at least a dozen times directly by rock... And the original sunroof exists to this day. It's been such a reliable vehicle I intend to continue driving it until it stops running. I've owned many vehicles with sunroofs and have never had such an issue, even after being struck by rocks and various other debris.
No rocks were involved at the time of explosion, but this happens well after a rock strike, or whatever weakened the glass. Older cars don't suffer from this because we want our cars to be more comfortable, airtight, which results in a much higher pressure differential at speed. It also doesn't help that roof glass size has grown dramatically in the last couple of years. Blame the consumers for wanting a more comfortable and luxurious driving experience.

You admitted that your 11 old vehicle's sunroof has been struck by rocks and various debris, what have you changed to ensure your new vehicle is never hit by rocks or debris?

There's a trick to protecting your pano roofs. Go to shadow tinting. Get the roof glass covered in the headlight protection film. It stops small rock strikes from weakening the tempered glass. That glass is designed to shatter when it's weakened. The pressure differential accelerates the process. The faster you drive, the larger the pressure differential, and force exerted on the glass. Just like most cases, your wife was on the highway. Boom.

These incidents happens so often these days that any dealership will simply reject the claims. They pay for one and they'll have to pay for all of them. Maybe if you had bought more than 3 vehicles in a decade and a half Nissan might goodwill warranty it for you.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this isn't anything new, and everyone seems to try to get warranty when it happens instead of being proactive about it.

16hypen3sp
06-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Now I fully understand that the sunroof issue is common on late model vehicles.

What's funny is it seems this issue is only on late model vehicles. And not on every model ever released equipped with this option.

AndyL
06-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Well yeah - look at the race on weight reduction in the past 5 years alone - my old 280zx t tops were ¼" or thicker glass... When the unibody finally let go catastrophicaly - they held the car together (literally - roof wrinkled glass held)

Nowadays - roof glass is at best 3mm (less than 1/8") - why do you think it shatters easy in late model vehicles...

And now they're starting to use laminated glass - not tempered. So weaker still...

The_Rural_Juror
06-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
XFOQbPhMHbk

"You are not allowed to swear...":rofl:

CanmoreOrLess
06-27-2015, 11:27 PM
I wonder if Lexus knows something about all this and chooses to ignore a pano roof option completely? If you are going pano, you have to 3M the thing, no question about it.

relyt92
06-27-2015, 11:37 PM
I had the sunroof explode in my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero years ago, same deal, nobody infront of me just on my way to work one sunday morning and a loud bang and then glass falling on me. ~$1300 to get repaired. Went through insurance and just had to pay my $250 comprehensive deductible. Do you not have that coverage on your brand new vehicle?

M.alex
06-28-2015, 01:25 AM
I agree with the others - a rock probably hit it at some point and weakened it.

All of my dad's cars have sunroofs, and all of them show signs of rock damage (i.e., chips from rock impacts), so rocks do "frequently" hit a roof panel.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-28-2015, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I wonder if Lexus knows something about all this and chooses to ignore a pano roof option completely? If you are going pano, you have to 3M the thing, no question about it.

Pano's are actually less likely to explode in my experience, usually have better glass for the size. Lexus/Toyota both have lots of panoramic roofs to chose from. They can still have issues.

I imagine truck sunroofs have less pressure on them due to smaller cabins and no unibody flexing. I've never changed a truck sunroof.

RickDaTuner
06-28-2015, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by rage2

No rocks were involved at the time of explosion, but this happens well after a rock strike, or whatever weakened the glass.

This^

Tempered glass gains it strength, and ability to break into small blocks from the fact that it is under its own pressure, as a result of the tempering process.

Rock chips that occurred days, or even weeks before the damage took place; will slowly grow until the crack is big enough to cause the glass to explode.

As a Technician I understand your concern having seen this first hand, but the fact of the matter is: If the glass had any defect in its manufacturing, it would have exploded during it tempering process, long before it made it onto the Vehicle during manufacturing.

I apologize for the dealerships lack of empathy, but this is part of owning a vehicle. You wouldn't demand a shop pay for your windshield after it took a rock chip, which then grew into a full on crack would you?

ToXicXxX
06-28-2015, 01:51 AM
Big issue on E9X 3 series too. I've personally seen the sunroof randomly explode in a 335d. Did a pull on a deserted road and BAM, glass everywhere.

God bless my carbon fibre roof...

googe
06-28-2015, 08:58 PM
This forum has this weird mentality that everything that happens or goes wrong must have been your fault, mostly because they did it once and it didn't happen to them. It's pretty bizarre.

This is obviously a design defect. It's not simply a fact of life and a cost of ownership that sunroofs randomly explode. How ridiculous.

Anyway, several manufacturers have had to issue recalls over the issue. Obviously, they don't want to admit it's defective, because then they have huge liabilities. Eventually, they'll have to change designs and/or recall older vehicles.

Audi recall:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/shattering-sunroofs-audi-latest-issue-recall-8C11490627

Hyundai recall:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/27/hyundai-recalls-6-071-more-velosters-over-shattering-sunroofs/

It's also possible to prove that it wasn't a rock based on how it breaks. Obviously these manufacturers would not be issuing recalls unless they were forced to, meaning it's been thoroughly investigated and there is no doubt about who is at fault.

If it's a design defect, warranty "not covering glass" doesn't matter. The damage is directly caused by improper design, so they're responsible either way. You'd have to fight them over it though, so it's not likely to go anywhere. Nissan definitely knows about the issue, and it's highly likely that the dealers have been advised to deny everything and insist it was a rock.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM444940/RCDNN-13V448-8558P.pdf

"Due to a production process issue with a sunroof glass supplier..."
"...two production runs were identified as not being to specification. The supplier had implemented a production process change to slow the cooling process of the glass, which resulted in poor glass tension quality."

rage2
06-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by googe
This forum has this weird mentality that everything that happens or goes wrong must have been your fault, mostly because they did it once and it didn't happen to them. It's pretty bizarre.

This is obviously a design defect. It's not simply a fact of life and a cost of ownership that sunroofs randomly explode. How ridiculous.

Anyway, several manufacturers have had to issue recalls over the issue. Obviously, they don't want to admit it's defective, because then they have huge liabilities. Eventually, they'll have to change designs and/or recall older vehicles.

Audi recall:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/shattering-sunroofs-audi-latest-issue-recall-8C11490627

Hyundai recall:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/27/hyundai-recalls-6-071-more-velosters-over-shattering-sunroofs/

It's also possible to prove that it wasn't a rock based on how it breaks. Obviously these manufacturers would not be issuing recalls unless they were forced to, meaning it's been thoroughly investigated and there is no doubt about who is at fault.

If it's a design defect, warranty "not covering glass" doesn't matter. The damage is directly caused by improper design, so they're responsible either way. You'd have to fight them over it though, so it's not likely to go anywhere. Nissan definitely knows about the issue, and it's highly likely that the dealers have been advised to deny everything and insist it was a rock.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM444940/RCDNN-13V448-8558P.pdf

"Due to a production process issue with a sunroof glass supplier..."
"...two production runs were identified as not being to specification. The supplier had implemented a production process change to slow the cooling process of the glass, which resulted in poor glass tension quality."
Come on, look at Zhariak's issues with his Escalade, you don't see anyone saying it's his fault. If this is a design defect, you might as well say rock chips are design defects too, because old cars didn't suffer nearly as much rock chipping in the paint.

Your recalls are specific issues to those manufacturers where the glass was weakened prior to deliver. Hell, they even talk about rock and hail strikes that typically weaken the glass.

The fact that it's happening to pretty much every manufacturer and every car model goes to show that it's not a single design issue. Exploding sunroofs aren't a fact of life nor a cost of ownership. The issue is easily remedied as I've explained above. Just like how you can prevent rock chips by 3Ming your car.

Cos
06-28-2015, 10:02 PM

spikerS
06-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Cos
This could be easy to test. I wonder how many trucks or tall SUV's have had their sunroofs explode? I am sure the height of my truck helps minimize rock hits on the sunroof.

I don't think height matters too much. I can't count the number of times I hear a rock ping off the top of my roof. Codetrap even went so far as to 3M the portion above his windshield after hearing it happen to mine.

I think those plastic aftermarket deflectors are about the only sure thing to stop rocks and such from striking the sunroof.

rage2
06-28-2015, 11:26 PM
I too doubt height matters. Ive been able to see some of the rocks hat hit my roof, they fucking bounce off the road and get some ridiculous heights before landing on me. Back in my convertible days, I'd get pelted on my head non stop on deerfoot.

revelations
06-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I too doubt height matters. Ive been able to see some of the rocks hat hit my roof, they fucking bounce off the road and get some ridiculous heights before landing on me. Back in my convertible days, I'd get pelted on my head non stop on deerfoot.

:werd:

Even when I used to ride a bike, I shuddered at some of the rocks I saw coming off trucks and wondered what one would do if it hit me in the neck. Then there was the continuous sand-blasting effect on bare skin.

Its appalling - even in the summer.

rage2
06-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
I think those plastic aftermarket deflectors are about the only sure thing to stop rocks and such from striking the sunroof.
They'll also create a bit of a high pressure pocket that will reduce the amount of pressure differential between the inside and outside surfaces. At least, on the leading edge of the glass.

OU812
06-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Loyalty means nothing to some manufacturers.

I dont think loyalty means jack to any large international company.

heavyD
06-29-2015, 09:35 AM
It's a Nissan which is a 2nd tier Japanese manufacturer. Quite frankly you should be happy the sunroof is the only thing on that thing to explode.

GTS Jeff
06-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX
Big issue on E9X 3 series too. I've personally seen the sunroof randomly explode in a 335d. Did a pull on a deserted road and BAM, glass everywhere.

God bless my carbon fibre roof... When I was in a rolled E90, the entire roof was sunken in by a few cm, but the sunroof was still in one piece.

Tik-Tok
06-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by OU812

I dont think loyalty means jack to any large international company.

Nope. The only ones who care about loyalty are (some of) the salesmen themselves. No one higher than that cares.

rage2
08-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Random bump. Test drove a Rogue today, Jesus Christ is there a lot of glass on the roof. The whole roof glass section is absolutely massive, biggest pano roof I've sat under. It's not even a fair fight against debris, this thing will get hammered hard wherever there's gravel thrown up in the air. Definitely getting the roof protected/tinted if we're picking one up.

rage2
03-20-2019, 07:57 AM
Good thing I listened to my own advice and tint all my roofs. :rofl:

Luck finally runs out and had a blowout.

Film held it all in place. Barely any glass falling in the car. Good thing as I had kids in there. Wasn’t even that loud.

Will see if warranty covers it. Service manager checking on it. Parts are in Germany FML.

rx7boi
03-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Damn! That's insane! Glad the family was okay.

Did this happen while driving or what?

rage2
03-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Ya. Just a balloon popping sound. Look up wtf haha. Then it ejector seat out and onto the side of the road.

Kids weren’t really scared. I mean if shards of glass was falling in then maybe haha. Youngest was excited to tell the story at daycare.

Tik-Tok
03-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Tint is pretty thin. Should've used nice thick paint protection film on it. 3 layers, just to be safe.

lilmira
03-20-2019, 08:22 AM
That sucks. Sometimes you can see where the fracture started from the pattern on tempered glass. To make things more complicated, tempered glass can blow on its own due to nickel sulfide inclusion. In this case, it will be somewhere in the middle of the unit. It usually happens within a few years after it's made. I brought it up because your car is new. The rate of this failure is pretty low and it varies from plant to plant, batch to batch.

shakalaka
03-20-2019, 08:44 AM
It's unfortunate that high-end car makers can't get their shit together so stupid shit like this doesn't happen. Although, I wonder if it broke because something hit it or was a random pop and boom glass roof gone?

KPHMPH
03-20-2019, 08:47 AM
This could be a learning experience for other guys on here. Make sure to get glass coverage. I currently pay $190 / per + $250 deductible for unlimited glass coverage. It makes a difference when the Fords windshield is just under $1000 and the pano roof is $2000.

rage2
03-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Tint is pretty thin. Should've used nice thick paint protection film on it. 3 layers, just to be safe.
It’s tinted headlight film. Thickest stuff available. Pretty sure it’s not a rock that caused it but who knows. I’ve been out of the country for quite a while so there’s like no mileage on the car. Barely broken in. Literally drove the car from delivery to the shop to get all that installed.

Have glass coverage so NBD if they don’t warranty it.

Homerrca
03-20-2019, 09:11 AM
I wonder if it's happening due to a change in pressure (possible leak in the rubber seal). Years ago I had a lebaron GTS with a sun roof. Driving back from Edmonton in a slight rain storm with no one around, I heard air coming in from the sunroof and all of a sudden the sunroof blew off the car, flipped through the air and landed on the highway. Thankfully no one was around but had no way to cover the hole so it was a soggy drive back to Calgary.

rage2
03-20-2019, 10:23 AM
I wonder if it's happening due to a change in pressure (possible leak in the rubber seal). Years ago I had a lebaron GTS with a sun roof. Driving back from Edmonton in a slight rain storm with no one around, I heard air coming in from the sunroof and all of a sudden the sunroof blew off the car, flipped through the air and landed on the highway. Thankfully no one was around but had no way to cover the hole so it was a soggy drive back to Calgary.
No, this shattered and blew up first. Held in place by the film. 2 seconds later the film ripped where it blew out and the thing ejector seated out onto the side of the road. Be cool if someone had dashcam of it. If you're driving Crowchild southbound, it's on the side of the road to the right of the right lane past 32nd Ave/Charleswood. Can't miss it. :rofl:

Dealer is going to try and warranty it. Gave me a loaner, back on the road.

shakalaka
03-20-2019, 10:32 AM
I got rid of glass coverage due to never having to use it. This makes me think twice about it.

prae
03-20-2019, 10:59 AM
I carry glass coverage w. a $250 deductible for exactly this reason, but never use it on my windshields (about $400-500 for the 'ferd). Maybe i should be claiming windshields too? Never seemed worth the hassle for $150

killramos
03-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Holy shit. This is your E?

That sucks!

I actually carry glass coverage in my c just because of the roof and the HUD.

Sure you did take a hit from something?

rage2
03-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Holy shit. This is your E?

That sucks!

I actually carry glass coverage in my c just because of the roof and the HUD.

Sure you did take a hit from something?
Yea, the E53 Coupe. Glass is in Germany, 3 week wait. Got a GLC as a loaner. They're trying to warranty it.

The glass was protected by headlight film, installed literally mins after delivery. Pretty thick stuff. Would've needed a big hit to weaken it. Not impossible. Only got 3000km on the car, all driven by me, would've noticed a big hit.

mikestypes
03-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Was the film on the inside or outside? Wouldn't a windshield protection film like Exoshield or Clearplex be a better choice?

rage2
03-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Outside of course lol. Exoshield isn't actually that thick, and you still get chips on windshield with it on if there's enough force. Compromise so that you don't get warped vision through it.

Roof wise, it's definitely distorted vision sightly but DGAF.

killramos
03-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Yea, the E53 Coupe. Glass is in Germany, 3 week wait. Got a GLC as a loaner. They're trying to warranty it.

The glass was protected by headlight film, installed literally mins after delivery. Pretty thick stuff. Would've needed a big hit to weaken it. Not impossible. Only got 3000km on the car, all driven by me, would've noticed a big hit.

What do you think of the GLC? I hated it.

I guess I have been lucky with my pano roof. That’s pretty nuts.

spikerS
03-20-2019, 03:49 PM
it's funny, but this video of mine (posted earlier in this thread) gets so many media requests for permission to use it on various media outlets from different TV stations doing stories on the exploding sunroofs, I have lost count.

XFOQbPhMHbk

rage2
03-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Was just explaining to someone that your video is the ONLY video that ever captured this. It's literally referenced in every exploding sunroof story.

spikerS
03-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Was just explaining to someone that your video is the ONLY video that ever captured this. It's literally referenced in every exploding sunroof story.

yeah, every once in awhile I google exploding sunroofs and there are a lot that either use my entire video, or they have edited it and taken snippets. Most of them are used without permission, but whatever.

01RedDX
03-20-2019, 07:09 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
03-20-2019, 07:20 PM
it's funny, but this video of mine (posted earlier in this thread) gets so many media requests for permission to use it on various media outlets from different TV stations doing stories on the exploding sunroofs, I have lost count.

XFOQbPhMHbk

Holy shit, that video is one in a million!

killramos
03-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Always keep sunroof headliners closed, especially with kids in the car.

Sounds pretty paranoid to me...

thinmyster
03-20-2019, 08:28 PM
I guess that explains why you have so few views?

spikerS
03-20-2019, 09:25 PM
I guess that explains why you have so few views?

fuck if I know how this shit works, or how many people actively search for "exploding sunroof" but it is what it is.

rage2
03-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Always keep sunroof headliners closed, especially with kids in the car.
I add glass film to it just for this reason. Basically ghetto laminated glass. Barely any glass in the car, none of us got hit.

Homerrca
03-21-2019, 06:44 AM
It seems to be a lot of vehicles with glass issues. Folks on the ford forum are complaining about their rear windows breaking up with the rear defrost. Wonder if it's cheap glass or if it's something else.

rage2
03-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Update. MB corporate warrantied it. :thumbsup:

spikerS
03-21-2019, 10:09 AM
wow, i totally thought it was going to go the other way. good on em!

rage2
03-21-2019, 01:55 PM
I wasn't expecting them to cover it, so definitely nice saving a deductible. Impossible to prove if it was a hit or defect. I guess it happens rare enough (mine is the 3rd one at this dealership) that they have warrantied it in the past as well.

dj_rice
03-21-2019, 07:22 PM
I wasn't expecting them to cover it, so definitely nice saving a deductible. Impossible to prove if it was a hit or defect. I guess it happens rare enough (mine is the 3rd one at this dealership) that they have warrantied it in the past as well.

I think it also due to the fact its you, and you have purchased a few cars with them, that the dealership went up to bat for you.

rage2
03-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Nowhere to stop safely to pick it up haha.

RX_EVOLV
03-22-2019, 08:32 AM

If you claim it under your glass protection insurance, would that raise your premium?

Siskinds
07-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Any Canadians with exploding sunroof?

Siskinds LLP, a leading Canadian class action firm, is investigating a possible class action related to exploding sunroofs in certain Nissan models, including:
• 2008-2019 model year Nissan Rogue vehicles;
• 2008-2019 model year Nissan Maxima vehicles;
• 2008-2019 model year Sentra vehicles;
• 2008-2019 model year Nissan Pathfinder vehicles;
• 2008-2019 model year Nissan Altima vehicles;
• 2009-2019 model year Nissan Murano vehicles; and
• 2011-2019 model year Nissan Juke vehicles.

If your sunroof has exploded, we would be interested in speaking with you about your experience. Please contact Siskinds LLP at 519-672-2121 x 2455 or email [email protected]

ShermanEF9
07-04-2019, 12:53 PM
It seems to be a lot of vehicles with glass issues. Folks on the ford forum are complaining about their rear windows breaking up with the rear defrost. Wonder if it's cheap glass or if it's something else.

Its the defroster shorting out inside the glass causing issues. it happened to me. cover by insurance. would have been around 2 grand to repair. very little if any impact to my premiums.

Sugarphreak
07-05-2019, 09:21 AM

J-D
07-05-2019, 10:37 AM
This is pretty much why I custom ordered my vehicle without a sunroof... well this and the fact that I hate having the sun beat down on my head while I drive, haha

I've actually never seen another Q5 without a sunroof, which is a shame because the vehicle is noticeably quicker and more stable in corners without the extra 104 kg on the roof.

Only time I use my sunroof is to watch the bubbles at the carwash :clap:

dirtsniffer
08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
my wife just got a q5 with the large moonroof. Is it worth getting a film put on? Glass coverage?

rage2
08-23-2019, 02:45 PM
My film on it was worth every dollar. No glass on us at all when it failed. Cheap insurance.

It's just headlight film applied to the outside of the sunroof.

88CRX
08-23-2019, 02:47 PM
My film on it was worth every dollar. No glass on us at all when it failed. Cheap insurance.

It's just headlight film applied to the outside of the sunroof.

Getting our pano sunroof 3m'd right now. Would that not help actual breakage and not just holding it together if it breaks?

rage2
08-23-2019, 02:49 PM
I thought it would, until mine broke. :rofl:

88CRX
08-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Crazy. I thought it would have too.

Sorry if it was discussed before but how does insurance work for that. Do you need glass/windshield coverage?

ThePenIsMightier
08-23-2019, 03:20 PM

Right, but it certainly would've helped if a smaller object struck it. There should be no doubt that it'll protect from breakage by an object that is slightly larger than would've broken it with zero protection. But, that doesn't suddenly make it meteorite proof.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Do you know what the invoice would have been if it wasn't covered under warranty?

rage2
08-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Do you know what the invoice would have been if it wasn't covered under warranty?
$0. I have glass coverage insurance.

lilmira
08-23-2019, 03:29 PM
How much is your glass coverage? I was told it's a lot (more than I can afford pal) then I didn't bother to pursue further.

ShermanEF9
08-23-2019, 03:43 PM
If you insure the windshield it's a lot. Everything but it's pretty cheap.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2019, 03:44 PM
How much is your glass coverage? I was told it's a lot (more than I can afford pal) then I didn't bother to pursue further.

the quote I got was $250 a year

- - - Updated - - -

$0. I have glass coverage insurance.

Do you know how much it would have been if you had to pay out of pocket?

lilmira
08-23-2019, 04:22 PM
If you insure the windshield it's a lot. Everything but it's pretty cheap.

the quote I got was $250 a year

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know how much it would have been if you had to pay out of pocket?

Hm, the guy probably misunderstood me but I specifically mentioned my concern with the sunroof. Oh well.

rage2
08-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Mine was $50/year. It used to be $300/year but for whatever reason it dropped significantly for both my cars.

As for out of pocket, no clue. Invoice showed nothing.

Masked Bandit
08-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Through your regular auto insurance you can't insure the sunroof and not the windshield, it's all glass or nothing. The cost will vary from car to car and policy to policy but don't forget to factor in your deductible.

ShermanEF9
08-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Through your regular auto insurance you can't insure the sunroof and not the windshield, it's all glass or nothing. The cost will vary from car to car and policy to policy but don't forget to factor in your deductible.

interesting. last time i asked about it, they said it was only all other glass. should i ask questions?

s2k_boi
08-23-2019, 08:21 PM
interesting. last time i asked about it, they said it was only all other glass. should i ask questions?

Same here...was also told that every glass was covered excluding the windshield.

Masked Bandit
08-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Same here...was also told that every glass was covered excluding the windshield.

The SEF 13D - Limited Glass endorsement is what you'll see on your policy. The public (and a lot of insurance people) commonly refer to this as the removal of windshield coverage but the more accurate description is the removal of accidental breakage of glass which of course 999 times out of 1000 are rock chips & cracks to your windshield. When was the last time you heard of someone getting a rock chip on a side window? Not impossible but not likely either. So, most people just call it windshield coverage (or removal thereof). If you have the 13D endorsement and someone smashes a side window in an act of vandalism it's not accidental so it's still covered, subject to your deductible. Exploding sunroofs fall under the "accidental breakage" category, same as rock chips on a windshield so if you have the 13D on your policy the exploding windshield would not be covered either.

For context I would estimate that 95% - 99% of the vehicles on the road have the 13D endorsement which means no windshield or exploding sunroofs. If you're concerned about the cost of a sunroof then talk to your broker and see how much your premium will go up if you remove the 13D but don't forget to factor in your deductible when deciding how to proceed.

j0nblayz
08-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Same thing happened to my brand new Ford Edge Sport few years ago. Since day one of buying the edge, the pano sunroof seem lifted, so after multiple trips to the dealership, they said its finally fixed. Upon inspecting, looks like the sunroof was now push too in to the roof, however Ford stated that's normal. Driving home, the sunroof imploded on Deerfoot with not a single car around. You can see the sunroof imploded due to the pressure from the edges of the sunroof from visually inspecting the glass. Ford claimed it was due to a rock hitting the sunroof and wanted me to pay the full amount to replace, even with records of my multiple visits trying to get the sunroof fixed.

I was able to get the price down to I believe it was around $2k. Fought with Ford Canada and got no where...

After getting it replaced, right away I traded it in as I did no want to deal with Ford anymore. Got myself another vehicle and got AMI insurance, covers all windows including sunroof. $50 deductible and no limit on claims. Have used the claim multiple times on all my vehicles to replace the windshield...

16hypen3sp
08-26-2019, 09:18 AM
AMI insurance, .

Is that an insurance provider? Or type of glass coverage?

j0nblayz
08-26-2019, 10:47 AM
AMI Insurance is for auto glass protection. Company is out of Edmonton. Get a quote and determine if it worth the coverage, for example my Honda Odyssey is 2018 and there were no aftermarket windshield last year, so coverage covered Honda OEM windshield. AMI will replace with aftermarket only, however if not available will provide OEM. Work is done at authorized shops only, which is crystal glass, and the shop on Macleod was very helpful getting the right brand of aftermarket windshield for me.

dirtsniffer
08-26-2019, 11:00 AM
I went through Aviva. Extras $212 a year ($250 deductible) vs $280 through AMI ($50 deductible). Also Aviva will use OEM for the first 3 years due to the SEF 43R coverage. Aftermarket glass is bullshit.

16hypen3sp
08-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Interesting. How does the aftermarket glass affect things like HUD's? Is aftermarket glass less durable or something?

dj_rice
08-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Interesting. How does the aftermarket glass affect things like HUD's? Is aftermarket glass less durable or something?

I don't think it affects HUD really. If you have HUD, some aftermarket glass should have glass for it, most likely after an aftermarket glass install, it will probably need to go back to the dealership for re-calibration of sensors and cameras if applicable.

As for the less durable, I dont know. I do know the price difference reflects the quality/thickness of the glass imo. Aftermarket glass has come a long way nowadays vs back in the day, many complaints about the clarity and wavyness in the glass. I was all weary about going aftermarket glass on my car, $136 vs $800 OEM and tried to do a ton of research before-hand on which aftermarket glass companies are better than the others but in the end, it all ended up that most/if not all aftermarket glass companies manufacture the glass in China.

Theres a few major players in the glass world, Benson, Fuyao, XYG, PGW, Pilkington. I ended up going with PGW as I thought it was North American made glass, Pittsburgh Glass Works, but the more I dug in, I found out my glass was from China, but just stamped PGW.

The major difference I noticed, is my glass isn't as thick, increased road noise slightly and it doesnt block the UV rays like my OEM glass did.

But another important factor is the quality/skill of the installer as well. You can have OEM glass and then get a shitty installer and it leaks, squeaks. ETC.

88CRX
08-27-2019, 09:12 PM
Added full glass coverage today. $65/year with a $250 deductible. Seems cheap for windshield and pano glass sunroof.

spikerS
08-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Added full glass coverage today. $65/year with a $250 deductible. Seems cheap for windshield and pano glass sunroof.

That sounds great! TBH, I am scared of my big pano sunroof 'sploding on my F150 too. I keep hearing crazy numbers like $4k to replace it. Can I ask who you got it through? I would even be willing to pay a little more to have a lower deductible too.

killramos
08-28-2019, 07:17 AM
Deductible for AMI is 50 bucks for replacement.

HiSpec
08-28-2019, 08:42 AM
I don't think it affects HUD really. If you have HUD, most likely after an aftermarket glass install, it will probably need to go back to the dealership for re-calibration of sensors and cameras if applicable.

Do you know if the glass coverage will also cover the cost of re-calibration?

88CRX
08-28-2019, 08:48 AM
That sounds great! TBH, I am scared of my big pano sunroof 'sploding on my F150 too. I keep hearing crazy numbers like $4k to replace it. Can I ask who you got it through? I would even be willing to pay a little more to have a lower deductible too.

TD Meloche Monex.

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2019, 11:29 AM
It's just marth - if annual cost + deductible is considerably less than a windshield cost, and you don't think you will be needing frequent replacements, then it's worth it. If you have a $250-500 windshield and no pano sunroof, probably not worth it.

Also I assume your rate goes up after a claim, or multiple claims, so that needs to be factored in as well.

I've never bought glass insurance personally, but I've never had any weirdly expensive windshields. My brother used to have a Subaru SVX and the windshield was $2K.