PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Buy Golf Clubs?

davidI
06-29-2015, 11:06 PM
I'm looking at getting back in the game and want to pick up new clubs. Where are the best places to shop for golf gear these days? Any places to watch for sales?

I'll be headed to the US soon if it's cheaper to shop there as well but I feel like with the exchange rate now the price difference may not be that much.

bjstare
06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Buy older clubs (season old). They release new ones so often, you can always find something on sale. Lots of sales around/after christmas when all the stuff for the upcoming season starts to come in. Spend a bunch of time in the sim at Golftown hitting different clubs to see what works for you.

Stay away from ebay, unless the seller has tons of positive feedback. I've found the deals are so-so. Same thing with kijiji, there's definitely fake clubs out there so be careful.

killramos
06-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Sportchek is always doing sales on the nevada bobs stuff and golf town can be VERY reasonable esp for beginner sets.

Golf clubs are as a general rule expensive so just stay away from the shiny drivers with pretty white adjustable heads and you will be fine.

I personally think you should have a couple busy seasons under your belt before you can even consider starting to blame your game on your clubs.

I have a tiger shark ( el cheapo) set of nice easy to hit clubs that i picked up from golf town 3-4 years ago with an Ogio bag for like 380 bucks?

Once you have a set you can start picking up more individual clubs or replace ones you don't like.

edit: golf town has sets for literally whatever price range you want to spend right now:

http://www.golftown.com/Club-Sets

riander5
06-30-2015, 08:29 AM
If you want a nice set you can wait until end of season sales at different golf courses, a buddy got some brand new (well last year end of year) nike irons.. vr or something for half off.

I got my TM speedblades off ebay from a seller with 100% positive feedback and got them for half price. Verified serial numbers with TM and my other friend who is a scratch golfer hit them vs a set off the wall at chek and they hit the same so im convinced they are real!

Deals can be found if you look for em

Or you can buy those ones just listed in the marketplace for 500 bucks for a 6 year old beginners set that was probably 650 brand new :rofl: (no offence to flipstah... i just think he's a tad out to lunch on how bad clubs depreciate)

88CRX
06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
If you want to buy new go to sport check and buy these:

Callaway X Hot N-14 Iron Combo Set Steel https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/golf/mens-golf-clubs/golf-sets/product/callaway-x-hot-n-14-iron-combo-set-steel-331620177.html

or

TaylorMade RocketBallz Combo Set
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/golf/mens-golf-clubs/golf-sets/product/taylormade-rocketballz-combo-set-331488259.html.

They have hybrids (which are typically easier to hit than low irons) and they're cheapish. Pick up the matching driver + 3 wood (or whatever they have on sale) and have at it.

Also sign up for the email list as you get 10% off your first purchase. And sign up for their team assist coupons as you get $20 off $100 purchases.

They always have sales on bags, putters, blah blah blah. Basically don't pay full price for anything.

I've found prices in the states on golf equipment is almost on par with Canada ($100=$100) so with the exchange rate its way cheaper to buy here.

austic
06-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Or for slightly more you can get the full set of X hots

http://www.costco.ca/Callaway%c2%ae-X-Hot-11-Piece-Golf-Set-.product.100152928.html

I picked these up at the start of the season and have been pretty happy with them.

killramos
06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Costco is always cheaper in store than online as a note as they include shipping and handling in the purchase cost. Could probably save at least 50 bucks on the clubs in warehouse.

flipstah
06-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by riander5
If you want a nice set you can wait until end of season sales at different golf courses, a buddy got some brand new (well last year end of year) nike irons.. vr or something for half off.

I got my TM speedblades off ebay from a seller with 100% positive feedback and got them for half price. Verified serial numbers with TM and my other friend who is a scratch golfer hit them vs a set off the wall at chek and they hit the same so im convinced they are real!

Or you can buy those ones just listed in the marketplace for 500 bucks for a 6 year old beginners set that was probably 650 brand new :rofl: (no offence to flipstah... i just think he's a tad out to lunch on how bad clubs depreciate)

LOL. Hence it says OBO. Offer me what you think it's worth and if the stars align, boom! :rofl:

davidI
07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

For the record, I golfed for a decade and was pretty good and then took the last decade off due to work and travel. When I get back into it I'll be looking to be serious and get good equipment and a swing coach to ensure I don't bring back any bad old bad habits.

The game has definitely changed a lot over the last 10 years so maybe the way to go will be to demo some clubs while taking lessons and get some advice from the pro.

Nismorphed
07-01-2015, 06:37 PM
You could also check out a place called Golf Traders they are a pretty good place for used clubs that are in great shape. 22 midlake blvd se

88CRX
07-01-2015, 07:18 PM
If you want to drop big bucks get a set of ping g30's.

civic_stylez
07-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by riander5

THIS.

My course has the most insane sales at the end of season. 70-80% off big brands like Cobra, Nike, Taylor Made etc.. You will pay a premium now. Wait until October and you can get premium clubs for the price of entry clubs. Got to the higher end courses as well and visit the pro shops. In the later months, they are DEAD and need to move inventory.

Dumbass17
07-02-2015, 09:52 PM
I've been creeping golfavenue.ca alot

CaptainReboot
07-03-2015, 04:43 PM
I got my set at Golf Town. It was previous year's model, so it was on sale. They were Nike Slingshots. It was fairly early in the season when I got them

Try as many sets as you can before you make a decision.

btimbit
07-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I've been creeping golfavenue.ca alot

First time hearing of them but I like what I see. I want a new, good set of irons but don't really play enough to justify paying full price for brand new ones.

Their condition grading system is kind of funny though. Scale of 1 to 10 but anything less than 8 looks beat to shit.

Was going to get some Callaway X Hot's but there's a few Callaway x20's on that site that look decent for less than half the price of a new set. Thanks for sharing!

Dumbass17
07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

First time hearing of them but I like what I see. I want a new, good set of irons but don't really play enough to justify paying full price for brand new ones.

Their condition grading system is kind of funny though. Scale of 1 to 10 but anything less than 8 looks beat to shit.

Was going to get some Callaway X Hot's but there's a few Callaway x20's on that site that look decent for less than half the price of a new set. Thanks for sharing!

No worries. let me know what you end up getting! it says on most clubs it's a hassle free 30 day trial too. I was thinking of the Nike Slingshots, the Callaway X20s and one more but i forget :P

My dad has a set of Taylormade Superlaunch Burners he's going to give me but that's way in Edmonton