PDA

View Full Version : "windshield must not have cracks that would impair the driver's vision"

killramos
06-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Hey i wanted to get the opinion of beyond, i think i know the answer but want to confirm.

Broke my windshield on the weekend on the bimmerfest cruise and am in the process of finding a good place to get it fixed. But I was considering going to reclass my GDL to Class 5 on one of my days off this week but noticed this clause in the car safety section.

"windshield must not have cracks that would impair the driver's vision"

My crack is a single line extending from the edge of the windshield about 12 inches right across the middle of the dash. Now any reasonable person would agree that it has 0 affect on my vision of the road but i don't want to lose my testing fee because they declared my car unsafe.

The far right edge of the crack is smack dab at the center of my steering wheel. It hasn't branched off or anything.

Crack looks like this with the impact mark about 2 inches from the edge of the windshield. It extended to where it is now within 5 minutes of the impact so i didn't have a chance to fix it.

http://www.adiblesmarket.com/oc-content/uploads/10/636.jpg

So the tl:dr is will this crack make my car ineligible for taking a road test. was planing on using the center st. North registry if it matters.

A790
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
can we see a pic of the entire windshield?

killramos
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Don't have one that was an example sorry. Ill see if i can find a better alternative.

edit:

looks almost exactly like this http://s2.photobucket.com/user/StuGotti/media/221537_1491756993436_1819351690_913636_7826897_o.jpg.html

but with a small half inch spider dent 2 inches from the edge of the windshield.

Thaco
06-30-2015, 10:59 AM
any glass should should be able to patch it up for you, wont be perfect but it should be acceptable.

killramos
06-30-2015, 11:01 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/DADFEE1E-5903-4134-A4C3-8F4FEF951316.jpg

Apologize for not bimging but you can't see it unless full size. You can faintly see the location and size of crack a couple inches above the steering wheel drivers side.

First blue car if it needs to be said.

As for repair I was under the impression this is way to big to repair. It's at least 12 inches long.

FraserB
06-30-2015, 11:07 AM
That one I can see them dinging you on, argument would be that it's location places it in the driver's line of sight.

killramos
06-30-2015, 11:10 AM
^ Which is exactly my problem. Location is shit. But the crack is a straight hairline that couldn't make me miss something bigger than a bee if it tried.

It was the worst luck to. it was a stanced car with maybe an inch of rear bumper clearance that did it. I don't even know how the physics of that are possible.

Mibz
06-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Go to the testing center and ask? Just say you've got an appointment to get it replaced but was hoping you could take the test beforehand.

Considering the car isn't a giant pile of shit, I don't think they'll have a problem with it.

Strider
06-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Just bring a different car... don't you have 3?

killramos
06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
^ I think i will do that as the registry is a couple blocks from my place. I was just about to click book on their online appointment tool when i saw the note so glad i didn't do that haha :nut:

Ordinarily i would just borrow the wifes mustang but shes going out of town tomorrow and i don't really want to drive the FJ cruiser. Ever.:rofl:

max_boost
06-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Just bring a different car... don't you have 3? :rofl:

:bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

killramos
06-30-2015, 11:22 AM
:banghead:

ercchry
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
i wouldnt worry about it, its calgary EVERYONE has a cracked windshield... you have a late model car, they wont blink twice at a single crack

GQBalla
06-30-2015, 12:25 PM
i think you'll be okay, I took my drivers ed and the companies Civic HB had a huge crack in it and barely ran.

killramos
06-30-2015, 12:49 PM
yea im just going to get it from them in advance when i drive by later this aft.

Its amazing what they will do when they think i will just go book an exam elsewhere.

E46..sTyLez
06-30-2015, 02:45 PM
It will probably just depend on the person at the registry. I had a buddy with a similar crack in his Pathfinder, had to borrow mine for the test because they refused him.

CanmoreOrLess
06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Get a Car2Go, take the road test. Done.

Black Gts
06-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Tell them it happened on the way and your to busy to reschedule :dunno:

btimbit
06-30-2015, 08:30 PM
If you have time just swing by beforehand and ask if someone can take a look and let you know if it's acceptable. If it was a 1998 Accord it'd be a different story but your car is obviously in good shape so you might be fine

ToXicXxX
07-01-2015, 08:32 PM
I don't think they will care. I borrowed a buddies car to do mine, since all my cars at that time had something that would disqualify me. On the way there I got hit with a golf ball that split the windshield down the middle, they were understanding.

Brent.ff
07-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Where you do your GDL test, and how much it cost?

I've been nursing my GDL for years, as really didn't need to upgrade. Got to Nanaimo today to find that National doesn't take GDL as a license. Neither does Budget. Luckily Hertz does (and works paying)

killramos
07-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Where you do your GDL test, and how much it cost?

I've been nursing my GDL for years, as really didn't need to upgrade. Got to Nanaimo today to find that National doesn't take GDL as a license. Neither does Budget. Luckily Hertz does (and works paying)

Something came up and I didn't end up doing it. The costs are around 200 all in assuming you pass for road test, permit, and reclassification. Specifics depend on the registry.

As a general rule I have found a don't ask don't tell approach works wonders with GDL. I have found most people above the age of 25 don't even know what it is.

Brent.ff
07-06-2015, 10:38 PM
They asked for the license and they flagged it. Was a bit unimpressed considering there are no driver restrictions with it

Seth1968
07-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
It will probably just depend on the person at the registry.

I was going to post just that, as I would think that crack would be in the "gray area".

So, hang some gigantic fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror. Below the dice, add a highly reflective spinning cd. You'll be asked to remove them, but they'll be so surprised and appalled, that they'll probably just ignore the crack:)