PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Taxi Drivers think they have it rough - Morning lols

killramos
06-30-2015, 11:51 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-taxi-demand-low-during-economic-downturn-says-cab-driver-1.3133075

Rupinder Gill drives past about a dozen cabs downtown, then makes a left and drives past about a dozen more.

In his 28 years driving cabs in Calgary, he has never had to share the road with so much competition.

Calgary taxi lottery aims to get more cabs on the road
Calgary taxi situation still frustrating despite addition of new licences
"It's a tough situation right now," said the president of Calgary United Cabs. "There's no shortage of taxis in Calgary at all."

Calgary Cab Drivers Society president Rupinder Gill
Calgary United Cabs president Rupinder Gill says taxi drivers are having trouble finding steady business during the current economic downturn. (CBC)

The city has 1,652 taxis and about 4,500 licenced drivers, according to Marcia Andreychuk of the Taxi and Limousine Advisory Committee (TLAC).

Roughly 480 of these drivers are new to the system this year, she says.

Both Andreychuk and Gill believe many of these new drivers recently chose the gig after getting laid off elsewhere, or were in need of additional income during the economic downturn.

"That is consistent with what you'd expect to see ... in a weaker economy," Andreychuk said.

Lack of demand?

The influx might be great news for passengers who can afford the rides, but some are saying the demand isn't there.

Last fall the TLAC issued about 125 new plates to increase service for customers. Yet shortly thereafter, fewer passengers began hailing cabs.

Gill says the weakened economy and the increase in taxis on the road has cost him upwards of $2,000 a month since the new year.

"I'm trying to work longer hours to make up that money," he said, adding he'll often work from 8 a.m. until 4 a.m. the next day.

"But I can't even recover that money."

He can't recover it, he says, because Calgarians aren't taking cabs like they used to.

Instead, he said taxis spend hours waiting for passengers, often parked illegally or circling around.

Bad economy

Gill points to 10 cars lined up in a taxi stop meant for two.

Traffic officers might even ticket them, he says — which is yet another cost they couldn't afford.

Finally, he spots a man with crutches waving his arm to hail a ride. Gill pulls in quickly to pick him up, beating out the competition.

"That's lucky."

But even his passenger admits to changing how often he takes taxis. He wouldn't be in one today, he says, if his leg wasn't in a cast.

"The economy is bad," the passenger explains.

Over the two years he has lived here he's found himself cutting back on these rides, especially on nights out.

"So we just walk or drive with some friends, or take less cabs," he said.

'I hope it ends soon'

The idea of enjoying the city's nightlife is a luxury Gill wishes he could afford.

"All these drivers are working so many hours," he said, gesturing to the taxis he passes. "We don't have any social life. We don't spend time with our kids."

His eight-year-old daughter has had little time with her dad this year, and Gill says his wife stays up all night calling to make sure he's safe.

But he's grateful that, for now, no new taxi licence plates are being issued — now only if the economy would reverse.

"I hope it ends soon, but I'm not sure you know?"

That is the greatest amount of lulz i have read in a long time. This one stands out:

"It's a tough situation right now," said the president of Calgary United Cabs. "There's no shortage of taxis in Calgary at all."

:nut:

And the irony of publishing this the week before stampede. what a joke.

BavarianBeast
06-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Go back home then

ercchry
06-30-2015, 12:02 PM
cabs too expensive no one takes them? well... lets drop the regulated rates then :devil:

Hallowed_point
06-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Oh no. Wonder if they've ever fixed the biggest issue facing Calgary Cabbies. Getting their debit machines to work for their customers..aka oh no not work..we go to ATM buddy.

GQBalla
06-30-2015, 12:22 PM
really? is it that how bad it is now?

haven't taken cabs here in years but i would always have trouble finding a cab

snowcat
06-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Cab drivers do not know how to go anywhere, they rip you off, their machines don't work, they try and steal your phones, they're expensive and the list goes on.

Oh, and they love to illegally park and ruin the entire road for everyone else.

BavarianBeast
06-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
Cab drivers do not know how to go anywhere, they rip you off, their machines don't work, they try and steal your phones, they're expensive and the list goes on.

Oh, and they love to illegally park and ruin the entire road for everyone else.

The majority of them on the roads are fucking idiots. I seriously cannot stand to take a cab anymore simply because of the morons operating them. Most of them need a bath as well.

J.M.
06-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Oh no. Wonder if they've ever fixed the biggest issue facing Calgary Cabbies. Getting their debit machines to work for their customers..aka oh no not work..we go to ATM buddy.

Some African taxi driver did this to me. Fuck I was so pissed lol. I would never use debit in any cab or anywhere else for that matter except the bank.

J.M.
06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Most of them need a bath as well.

This.

Don't expect a fucking tip when your cab smells like shit because you can't be bothered to take a shower and you pull the machine doesn't work type of bullshit.

FraserB
06-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

It seems like offering to call dispatch and have them run the card manually there is a quick fix for a broken machine. If they keep up the bullshit, starting to leave without paying solves it for good.

I check when I'm getting in to make sure, even then I've had one or two try to pull that nonsense.

Originally posted by J.M.

This.

Don't expect a fucking tip when your cab smells like shit because you can't be bothered to take a shower and you pull the machine doesn't work type of bullshit.

Tipping cab drivers seems like the biggest scam ever. Outside of a legitimate reason like he dragged your ass all over town for burgers or makes a regular pick up and is on time and auick, I fail to see why people do it.

I asked the guy who takes me to the airport every week and the way he explained it is that he pays $xxx to the cab owner each week no matter what. All the fares he collects go into his pocket. Out of that he has to pay for gas and basics like washer fluid. Maintenance is taken care of by the owner.

bjstare
Go back home then

:werd:

killramos
Originally posted by J.M.

Some African taxi driver did this to me. Fuck I was so pissed lol. I would never use debit in any cab or anywhere else for that matter except the bank.

It's the first question i ask them now. " Does your debit machine work " And i never take a cab with any less than 100 bucks cash.

I had one try to pull it on me when I was percievably drunk once. " oh my debit machine is dead" 0% tip for that noise with a "No cash will be fine" from me. He actually looked pissed off when i told him that.

I usually exclusively use credit cards for the liability and to make sure they aren't trying to duck the system on a cash run. I have gotten out of cabs that said their debit wasnt working before, i also report them.

:dunno:

codetrap
06-30-2015, 12:56 PM

lilmira
06-30-2015, 12:58 PM
cash?

BavarianBeast
06-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Whats the deal with lying about the debit machines?

I think they can misrepresent their fares for the day easier this way. Thus pocketing more cash for themselves and less for the cabbie company. I've had them pull that shit on me all the time, as someone said ask to call dispatch and that changes pretty quick.

killramos
06-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Whats the deal with lying about the debit machines?

Basically you get to destination and don't have cash. They offer to drive you across the city to an ATM to get cash and drive you back. Thereby at least doubling the fare.

plus the pocketing cash rather than declaring it as income and paying the taxi company their cut.

In reality the machine works just fine and they are trying to screw you, esp when you are drunk.

ercchry
06-30-2015, 01:11 PM
i've only ever got out of a cab without giving them a dime once because of bullshit scammy-ness...

was near the dome and was living deep se, told the guy the route i wanted him to take... guy just keeps driving north to hop on memorial, i hopped out at the next light and told him to go fuck himself when he tried to argue that it was "quicker" ...yeah, and like 10kms longer. got a cab 2 seconds later, who drove south :nut:

Tik-Tok
06-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by killramos

In reality the machine works just fine and they are trying to screw you, esp when you are drunk.

One guy insisted it wasn't working, I told him I have no cash, and insisted we weren't about to turn around to a bank machine, so he grudingly whips out this old school "cha-CHUNK" carbon paper machine and took payment with that.

Sometimes the electronic machines really aren't working.

killramos
06-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

One guy insisted it wasn't working, I told him I have no cash, and insisted we weren't about to turn around to a bank machine, so he grudingly whips out this old school "cha-CHUNK" carbon paper machine and took payment with that.

Sometimes the electronic machines really aren't working.

Cost of doing business. Fix your damn machine or pay for redundancy. What do you think happens if i go to a restaurant, finish my dinner and then they tell me their visa is busted?

They can run it manually if they want ( no skin off my back) or i can leave and eat dinner free.

E46..sTyLez
06-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Tipping cab drivers seems like the biggest scam ever. Outside of a legitimate reason like he dragged your ass all over town for burgers or makes a regular pick up and is on time and auick, I fail to see why people do it.

Yea a buddy gave me shit one time for not tipping our cab lol. I was confused...didn't even know it was a thing :dunno:

I tip (quite generously) for pleasant service, which I rarely get in a cab.

Env-Consultant
06-30-2015, 01:37 PM
That's strange coming from United. I have had nothing but crazy good experiences with them and appreciate the fact that most of their drivers are part owners of the company. Their app is great too - you don't have to call anybody and you can track your cab on a map in real time once somebody takes your booking (usually <1 minute after booking through the app). I love that they are in the market because the lack of customer service and the sad excuse for a dispatch service in this city were deplorable.

lasimmon
06-30-2015, 01:45 PM
I wonder how many of you have actually had the "debt/credit machine doesn't work" or just are following the herd.

In all my years in Calgary and the hundreds and hundreds of taxi rides, I have never NOT ONCE had that happen.

Hallowed_point
06-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I wonder how many of you have actually had the &quot;debt/credit machine doesn't work&quot; or just are following the herd.

In all my years in Calgary and the hundreds and hundreds of taxi rides, I have never NOT ONCE had that happen.

I rarely take cabs now that I have a car. But when I moved to Calgary in 07 it happened a lot. Like enough that I started to wonder WTF scam are these guys trying to pull? I think that if they see an easy mark (drunk, lost) they will pull it.

JRSC00LUDE
06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
I wonder how many of you have actually had the &quot;debt/credit machine doesn't work&quot; or just are following the herd.

I have had that happen to me in Calgary actually, but only once.

It has happened in Saskatoon a couple times as well. Here I also have a surprising number of cabbies who "didn't know how to get downtown from here" even though they have GPS and it's 8 blocks away with only ONE turn that is a block from my door. Fucking guys lol

killramos
06-30-2015, 02:02 PM
^ :werd:

Do you think we are all just lying to rip on cabbies?

They are honestly some of the least honest people i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with in my life. They rank right up there with used car salesmen, or Nigerian princes ( sometimes they are the same people :rofl: ) in my books.

vengie
06-30-2015, 02:05 PM
How many of you have actually tried, oh you know.... having a genuine conversation with the Cabbie?? at the end of the day, they are human beings, you show some genuine interest and I guarantee your experience will change. I have met some incredible cab drivers, their stories will blow you away!

The only time I ever had an issue with a cabbie was in my 18-20 year old douchebag stage, and quite frankly, I deserved it.

lasimmon
06-30-2015, 02:14 PM
^ :werd:

Do you think we are all just lying to rip on cabbies?

They are honestly some of the least honest people i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with in my life. They rank right up there with used car salesmen, or Nigerian princes ( sometimes they are the same people :rofl) in my books.

The one time for me the guys machine didn't work he didn't even make me pay. Just let me ride for free.

Sorry. I don't believe all the fairy tales.

I talk with almost every cabbie that I ride with and they always come across as really nice normal people working for a living.

G-ZUS
06-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Took a cab from the airport to Marlborough before, he was heading south on Deerfoot and when he got to the 16th Ave turn off, I noticed him putting his signal light to go west on 16th Ave. BUT Marlborough is east. (he put the address in the GPS too) I snapped on him and told him he should be turning left not right there.

Trying to take me on a "view of the city":banghead:

2Legit2Quit
06-30-2015, 02:15 PM
If only Uber was available here, then they'd feel the real pain. Paris all over again? lol

JRSC00LUDE
06-30-2015, 02:18 PM
I talk with almost every cabbie that I ride with and they always come across as really nice normal people working for a living.

This.

There is definitely a dirtbag contingent to the trade but, they are just normal working guys like everyone else for the most part. You can tell which guy is trying to scam you and which one isn't, my negative experiences with cabs are FAR outweighed by the positive. It's just the blatant bad ones that stand out.

Hallowed_point
06-30-2015, 02:36 PM
I've met a few cabbies in Calgary who are absolutely awesome. I'll gladly tip someone who drives properly and has some good stories.

I find the cabbies in small town AB/BC to be way better. Friendly, showered, no excessive cologne and polite.

If you're going to spend my trip jibber-jabbering to Uncle Kamrul in Pakistan on blue tooth, well no tip for you. Don't eat your stinky food in the cab and dry clean your clothes. :barf:

gqmw
06-30-2015, 05:17 PM
I ride a lot of cabs late night during the weekdays and sometimes when I go out on the weekends. Haven't had any issues with a cabbie telling me they don't know where to go or that their machine isn't working.

But I think few years ago, I was coming going home from the airport and the cab driver decided to turn onto deerfoot to memorial and back to john laurie even though I told him to just take country hills. Cab ride ended up being $60 vs. the $40 it usually is. I got to my house and just gave him $40.

snowcat
06-30-2015, 06:57 PM

I've had a cab try to steal my phone because he thought I was drunk, drive me to an ATM because his "debit was broken", and then I put my phone up to my ear and he peeled out of the parking lot.

Free ride and was 5 min walk away from home.

Cabs are fucking horrible in this city.

vengie
06-30-2015, 07:21 PM

I've had a cab try to steal my phone because he thought I was drunk, drive me to an ATM because his &quot;debit was broken&quot;, and then I put my phone up to my ear and he peeled out of the parking lot.

Free ride and was 5 min walk away from home.

Cabs are fucking horrible in this city.

Way to paint an entire industry with one broad stroke based on a SINGLE encounter.

As I said earlier, don't be a dick, have a conversation, and you'll be amazed how people start responding to you.

Kindness is contagious.

NoPulp
06-30-2015, 07:47 PM
What's a cab?

But lol at the article... if there's not enough demand, well the supply has to get cut. Oh well, that's life. Or start a TV show... "Cab Wars yyc".

I do have some Filipino friends that drive here in lethbridge. It's definitely not a stable job, but not a bad job. Being in a smaller city you can build a small list of clients that can request you from dispatch, so customer service is important.

btimbit
06-30-2015, 08:03 PM
A few years ago the waterpump went in my car at the time. Ordered a new one online, coming from Eastern US and would take a week. I was 20 at the time so couldn't get a rental.

Taking a cab to work and back every day for a week was among the worst experiences in my life. I don't have enough time in cabs to get an accurate depiction of the entire industry, but Jesus. I only had ONE guy that was friendly. Everyone else was jabbering away into their bluetooth headsets, or wouldn't even talk to me. If I tried to make small talk I'd just get "Yes" or "No" answers so I gave up. But that's fine, I don't feel like talking to people some days too. But at least fucking shower before you go to work, jesus christ.

And the cost. I spent more in that week going back and forth to work than I would in 2 months of gas. Why should I pay so much for a level of service so shitty.

Never again. If I'm going out drinking, I make sure we have a DD or my girlfriend can come get me, because I refuse to take a cab.

I would take Calgary Transit before taking another cab in this city. And I can't stand Calgary Transit

g-m
07-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Yea I also prefer CT and I also hate CT lol. Id rather walk half an hour in a snowstorm than take a taxi. I've had the machine not working thing lots of times as well, DEFINITELY not a myth.

OTown
07-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

This.

There is definitely a dirtbag contingent to the trade but, they are just normal working guys like everyone else for the most part. You can tell which guy is trying to scam you and which one isn't, my negative experiences with cabs are FAR outweighed by the positive. It's just the blatant bad ones that stand out.

Agreed. I also have to add that they do somewhat have a tough job when you think about fri-sat nights driving drunk beligerent assholes home. That's got to be pretty frustrating.

turbotrip
07-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Wow some of u guys must really look like chumps or something for every cabbie to try to "scam" u by taking the long way or pretending the debit is broken. I've never had a single bad experience with a cabbie, they all told funny stories and exactly followed the route I told them to take. It seems like some of u guys might actually be the issue

AE92_TreunoSC
07-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Everytime I'm drunk or hungover they take the super long way. Usually takes me a bit to realize. I don't take cabs much anymore, but as a full blown adult I tell them which way to drive even before the choice.

My car died one day and I was late to get to SAIT one day and I got a former UK cabbie to drive me to school. He showed me 3 different ways to get to school faster! I was a broke student and I still gave him a 20$ tip haha.

They need to bump the customer service game up. If you have a clean cab that isn't falling apart and a good personality I'd be more inclined to use them.

J-D
07-01-2015, 02:36 PM
I just use DD services nowadays. Sick of lying, scammy, sleep deprived cabbies who can barely drive. Worth the extra couple of bucks! :thumbsup:

wintonyk
07-02-2015, 12:04 AM
the cabbies in banff and canmore are very refreshing to my experiences here.

i had a cabbie take me on a 50 dollar ride from stephen ave to killarney. All I did was call dispatch while he was driving me around in circles. Ended up with a free ride out of it.

stampede is here now, so will be taking plenty of taxis for the next little while.

Env-Consultant
07-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Everytime I'm drunk or hungover they take the super long way. Usually takes me a bit to realize. I don't take cabs much anymore, but as a full blown adult I tell them which way to drive even before the choice.

My car died one day and I was late to get to SAIT one day and I got a former UK cabbie to drive me to school. He showed me 3 different ways to get to school faster! I was a broke student and I still gave him a 20$ tip haha.

They need to bump the customer service game up. If you have a clean cab that isn't falling apart and a good personality I'd be more inclined to use them.

I'm going to plug United Cabs once more - I have no relationship with anyone there whatsoever and am speaking from personal experience. They have ALWAYS told me the route they plan on taking and asked me if I knew a faster/less traffic infested route, have brand new cars (including electric cars without 120V electric charging batteries - go figure), and they have all been extremely personable drivers.

I absolutely hate Checker, Yellow, Associated - mostly due to their dispatch service being a god damn sad excuse. I always talk to the cabbies, see where they immigrated from, if they have kids, etc. I treat them like I'd like to be treated in the same situation and have had zero bad experiences with United in this beautiful city. A pile of bad experiences wih random cab companies in the USA though (mostly LA and PHX) where the drivers pretend to not know English and I have no clue where I am.

msommers
07-02-2015, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Could be argued that it's the same as going out to restaurants - don't like tipping don't go out. Personally I think tipping is retarded in any circumstance but it's a cultural norm here.

Cost of doing business. Fix your damn machine or pay for redundancy. What do you think happens if i go to a restaurant, finish my dinner and then they tell me their visa is busted?

Funny this actually happened at this Irish pub out in Banff. Their card machines are down, their ATM is down. So their solution? Have us walk out of the pub, go down two blocks where there is an ATM in the Mac's, come back and pay cash. I literally looked at her and said, "wow you have a lot of faith in us that we'll even back here!"

My biggest beef isn't the constant lying about the machine not working (and maybe it isn't working but that's not my problem). It's the fact that they're absolutely horrendous, HORRENDOUS, drivers. I think cab drivers should be tested regularly by someone that isn't their cousin. How some of these people get licenses in the first place is baffling, let-alone one that allows them to carry passengers professionally.

Feruk
07-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Could be argued that it's the same as going out to restaurants - don't like tipping don't go out. Personally I think tipping is retarded in any circumstance but it's a cultural norm here.
I don't think there's any cultural norm about tipping cabs... Some do, some don't. There certainly isn't an "expected percentage."

chkolny541
07-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Wow some of u guys must really look like chumps or something for every cabbie to try to &quot;scam&quot; u by taking the long way or pretending the debit is broken. I've never had a single bad experience with a cabbie, they all told funny stories and exactly followed the route I told them to take. It seems like some of u guys might actually be the issue

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

djdragan
07-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Go back home then

Go fly your confederate flag somewhere else.

Env-Consultant
07-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by djdragan

Go fly your confederate flag somewhere else.

Agreed.

dharminder
07-02-2015, 10:49 AM
I have never had an issue with cab drivers telling me there machine is not working. I have had come across 1 or 2 cab drivers thinking that they could pull a quick one and take me the long way home from the airport. Usually just tell them they are going the long way which is fine but its eating into there tip money.

As for scamming and wanting cash only they are not ripping off the cab company and I could be wrong but from my understanding you rent the car from the company at a set amount per week. I could see them wanting cash only so they do not have to disclose it to the government for tax purpose.

I have taken cabs sober and hammered out of my mind but never have I had a driver try to steal anything from me, like someone mentioned strike up a conversation they are just normal people trying to make a living just like you and I.

BavarianBeast
07-02-2015, 11:32 AM
:rofl:

Okay, I'll go fly my confederate flag. :rolleyes:

HiTempguy1
07-02-2015, 12:03 PM
After coming back from mexico, I had to get a cab from south Edmonton to the UofA campus.

I nearly had a heartattack with how bad the cab driver was on the winter roads, and I'm a pretty chill dude when it comes to other people driving. He nearly killed us 4 times in 15 minutes of driving.

#ihatecabs

Having said that, designated drivers are retarded. I'll never subject one of my friends to that unless they honestly don't feel like drinking. Otherwise, a night out with friends is worth a cab ride split between 4 people, even if it is shit.

snowcat
07-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Wow some of u guys must really look like chumps or something for every cabbie to try to &quot;scam&quot; u by taking the long way or pretending the debit is broken. I've never had a single bad experience with a cabbie, they all told funny stories and exactly followed the route I told them to take. It seems like some of u guys might actually be the issue

You shouldn't have to tell them a route to take. They should know the fastest and most efficient way.

If you're not from here, how could you possibly tell them what route to take?

killramos
07-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Having said that, designated drivers are retarded. I'll never subject one of my friends to that unless they honestly don't feel like drinking. Otherwise, a night out with friends is worth a cab ride split between 4 people, even if it is shit.

Sounds like you have shitty friends or go to really shitty places if you can't enjoy yourself without being hammered. :dunno:

I like drinking as much as the next guy but Virgin Caesers and good food and good company or a game or something makes for a lot of fun even when sober. I don't mind taking my rotation as dd at all.

HiTempguy1
07-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Sounds like you have shitty friends or go to really shitty places if you can't enjoy yourself without being hammered. :dunno:

I like drinking as much as the next guy but Virgin Caesers and good food and good company or a game or something makes for a lot of fun even when sober. I don't mind taking my rotation as dd at all.

Not at all. I rarely get drunk anymore :dunno: But I just find the concept a bit silly, I've never met someone who actively wants to be a DD and I get that. So pay for the cab :dunno: Small price to pay for a fun time out with friends IMO, that's all.

Tik-Tok
07-02-2015, 01:29 PM

You shouldn't have to tell them a route to take. They should know the fastest and most efficient way.

That's something I'm always confused by. I don't take cabs often, but everytime I do, I have to give them directions in my neighborhood.

A GPS is like $100 fucking dollars, and I've NEVER seen one in a cab???

rage2
07-02-2015, 01:42 PM
When was the last time you were in a cab? Every cab I've been in the last couple of years has a Garmin suctioned up to the windshield. I always still give directions though, because GPS directions are fucking terrible.

msommers
07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Yeah I've also seen the little garmin usually in the left corner of the windshield. But most know the inner city well enough that I just say the community.

My worst experiences with cabs have all been at night, sober or not. During the day, to the airport or downtown for example, the experience is completely 180.

Tik-Tok
07-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2
When was the last time you were in a cab?

About a week before I got a personal Designated Driver (my pregnant wife :rofl: )

So yeah, it's been over a year, but before that I never saw one, and always had to give directions.

killramos
07-02-2015, 01:59 PM
I took a cab home last night from downtown and our cab driver lost it on my buddy for implying that calgary doesn't have enough cabs. He didn't get a tip for that little spaz lol.

That and he took us on a roundabout route because he "didn't know center at was closed" :dunno:

taemo
07-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I always use Checkers and TBH I never had any issues, granted I use them only once or twice every 2-3 months for
-work late in the office, I get a taxi chit and I jump on one of the many Checkers cab lined in Bankers hall (~$45 to Skyview)
-going on holidays, we call Checkers to take us to the airport (~$18 ride)

I know the fastest route so I tell them exactly which way to take and never had any problem and yeah most I've seen have a GPS mounted on their dashboard or pull it out when really needed.

if you think the cab drives are here to scam you, can't wait to see some of you take a cab in the Philippines :rofl:

OTown
07-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Finally something we agree on :P

Atriux
07-02-2015, 11:54 PM
I just moved back to Calgary and can't stand the fact that there isn't Uber here.

It's seriously amazing... cab fares would drop 30-50% instantaneously, and you can always see how many cabs are right by you.

It's amazing how friendly cab drivers are when they know you'll be rating them at the end of your ride (out of 5 stars). I've had Uber drivers tell me that once their rating falls below 4.6 it becomes harder for them to pick up fares.

Some cabs will have gum, small bottles of water, small candies, etc that leave in the center console.

Oh, and tipping isn't part of the Uber process. You just walk out of the cab at the end of your ride and it automatically charges your debit/Visa.

msommers
07-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Where were you previously?

adamc
07-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I used Uber exclusively last time I was in Toronto (also in Phoenix and Palm Springs), and everything ^ he wrote is spot on.

So nice being able to hail an uber via the app, know exactly when they're going to arrive, and most importantly - never deal with physical money or a payment process at all.

Get in, ride to your destination, get out.

msommers
07-03-2015, 11:28 AM
That's pretty interesting actually. Considering the Uber driver can provide perks, pay for expenses, and still make enough money that it's a worthwhile job.

Just further shows how stupid the licenses in Calgary are.

What I'm really curious now is that, can we as citizens create a petition to bring Uber here?

ercchry
07-03-2015, 11:34 AM
That's pretty interesting actually. Considering the Uber driver can provide perks, pay for expenses, and still make enough money that it's a worthwhile job.

What I'm really curious now is that, can we as citizens create a petition to bring Uber here?

its the $80 minimum fare for a hired car (limo) that is stopping them from coming to calgary. but its not a very lucrative job either, more like a decent pick your own hours second job to pay for a few luxuries

J-D
07-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Doubt it.

https://action.uber.org/calgary/

msommers
07-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

its the $80 minimum fare for a hired car (limo) that is stopping them from coming to calgary. but its not a very lucrative job either, more like a decent pick your own hours second job to pay for a few luxuries

Ahh. So they're considered a limo service essentially vs. a taxi, officially here in Calgary?

ercchry
07-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Ahh. So they're considered a limo service essentially vs. a taxi, officially here in Calgary?

yup, so i guess they could run airport shuttles? :rofl:

HiTempguy1
07-03-2015, 12:10 PM

This right here (below)

but its not a very lucrative job either, more like a decent pick your own hours second job to pay for a few luxuries

My understanding is Uber probably isn't a full-time job, at that point you should be a taxi.

adamc
07-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Talked to more than a few guys in Toronto that were doing 40-50 rides per day and that was more than enough to be a full time gig.

Either way, the consumer wins, and that's what this is all about. Ending the stranglehold on people moving that the taxi companies currently enjoy a monopoly on.

killramos
07-03-2015, 01:02 PM
The cabbie i was with the other day was complaining that he couldn't get 100 bucks of fares a day unless its was a fri-sun night.

Sounds like a good argument for getting a better job Mon-Thurs or whatever and just driving on the weekends.

gqmw
07-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Spoke a bit too soon maybe, yesterday I took a cab outside of Local. Told him I was going to Hamptons. He asked which way was quickest, I told him crowchild then shag then country hills.

As he was driving on crowchild I thought of this thread and so I didn't say anything to see if he would turn on shag. He didn't even try to turn on the shag exit, but that's okay I got him to turn onto 53rd. Told him to take a left at the 3-way stop in Edgemont, he tried to continue going straight. After that I told him step-by-step instructions till he got into Hamptons and I told him to just go straight.

Then not sure if intentional but he tried to turn into a random culdesac, but I quickly stopped him and got him to keep going straight. Maybe he didn't know the NW well or something, but I was a bit annoyed. Maybe he thought I was drunk and he could charge me more or something.

lilmira
07-03-2015, 05:01 PM
I say unintentional, I truely believe that they have no idea where they are going all the time.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Drunken cab last night, flawless experience. Nice guy, we chatted about something. Not sure what, probably nonsense. Honestly, I think I have maybe less than 1/10 cab rides that have any problems.

zaider
07-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Speaking of Uber, I just came back from a trip to NYC and, even with cabs everywhere, we still ended up using Uber most of the time.
1) I really like that there is a rating system which *should* keep the issues that others have brought up to a minimum.
2) Its great that you can see where the car is and that it is reserved without any hassle, especially when its pouring rain out and you dont want to stand on the street to flag a car down.
3) I like that you can put in your destination and it gives you an estimate for what the fare will be (was always spot on in my experience). That enabled my wife and I, unfamiliar with the city, to be able to avoid the more expensive trips and take the subway instead.
4) The fact that there is a map with a route on both your phone and the driver's phone (attached to the dash of the vehicle) means that they can't take you for an extended ride because you'll know if they deviate.
5) They use "Surge Rate" when there aren't enough drivers in an area. Basically, they double or 1.5x the rate to attract more drivers to log on or drive to an area where the demand is. You have the option of requesting a ride at the higher rate, or the app will notify you when its done (usually 10-15 mins).
6) No tipping, although they definitely wont say no to a tip if you offer (if they went above and beyond).

The cars are all new and comfortable, especially compared to beat-up cabs.

J-D
07-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
Spoke a bit too soon maybe, yesterday I took a cab outside of Local. Told him I was going to Hamptons. He asked which way was quickest, I told him crowchild then shag then country hills.

As he was driving on crowchild I thought of this thread and so I didn't say anything to see if he would turn on shag. He didn't even try to turn on the shag exit, but that's okay I got him to turn onto 53rd. Told him to take a left at the 3-way stop in Edgemont, he tried to continue going straight. After that I told him step-by-step instructions till he got into Hamptons and I told him to just go straight.

Then not sure if intentional but he tried to turn into a random culdesac, but I quickly stopped him and got him to keep going straight. Maybe he didn't know the NW well or something, but I was a bit annoyed. Maybe he thought I was drunk and he could charge me more or something.

One of the cabs I took this weekend refused to pick up the fare in front of me because they were "going too far and he only wanted downtown fares". I got in and he started whining about how little money he has been making during this stampede, and how he doesn't pick up drunk people if he can help it. If you don't like drunk people perhaps you shouldn't be a taxi driver :rofl:

killramos
07-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Tried getting a cab last night from stampede. Worst decision ever.

They have cab lines in a few locations. But none of the cabbies used them. And people kept driving in the cab only lanes. Complete chaos. 40 minutes I waited for a cab ( so much for there being an excess of cabs) before we negotiated a 20 dollar fixed fair from a limo service for a 12 dollar ride. Best money I spent all night, which is a story for another day :nut:

I realize it's a high use time of the year but come on they just can't get anything right.

I bet if I walked downtown there would still be a dozen of them idling outside of palliser.

Kijho
07-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Didn't read thru the entire thread, but the taxi's here are a damn joke...

I just got back from Vegas, and I couldn't believe how cheap it was to taxi from one end of the strip (Wynn) to the other end (Mandala Bay)... $8USD (In comparison to Calgary..)

When I arrived home the ride from the Airport to Coventry was $24CAD .. :eek:

Feruk
07-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Cab Friday night, gave guy address (two numbered streets in SW), idiot first tries going to the NW, then after corrected seems to forget how number system works. I mean how do you fuck that up? Zero tip and a talking down to followed.

killramos
07-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Kijho

I just got back from Vegas, and I couldn't believe how cheap it was to taxi from one end of the strip (Wynn) to the other end (Mandala Bay)... $8USD (In comparison to Calgary..)

Its just a Calgary phenomenon. When i was in Edmonton for the world cup i didn't have that problem.

I wanted a cab? I walked to the nearest street and waved one down. And the ride was cheap ( comparable to your vegas cab story)

The limo i was in on Saturday i had to endure the driver telling us stories of what he liked to do with girls in the back of his limo ( where I was sitting ) on friday nights when they didn't have cash :barf:

killramos
07-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Another example of our cities most upstanding respectful citizens:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-cab-driver-suspended-after-gay-man-says-he-was-called-disgusting

The city has suspended a taxi driver’s licence for one month after a gay man came forward complaining the cab driver called him “disgusting” for kissing a man while riding the vehicle home from the Calgary Stampede.

Nolan Hill turned to social media after he says he was kicked out of a Calgary United Cab on Saturday evening after Stampede.

“I was just kicked out of a taxi and told that I was disgusting for kissing another man. I have lived in Calgary my whole life, and have never been disrespected as much as I was tonight,” he stated in a Facebook post that has been shared more than 100 times.

Naeem Chaudhry, manager at Calgary United Cabs, said as soon as he was made aware of the incident on Monday morning, the driver was suspended.

“We don’t allow (our drivers) to make comments on someone’s personal lifestyle,” he said.

Chaudhry said the city’s Livery Transport Services became involved in the case and was reviewing video footage from the cab.

On Tuesday afternoon, the city announced that licensed taxi driver Stephen Eze is suspended until August 5, 2013 following a complaint alleging discriminatory behaviour toward two male passengers.

Once the suspension has been served, the future of Eze’s licence will be determined at a Licence Review Hearing.

Following the hearing, it’s possible Eze’s licence could be revoked, or he could receive additional suspension time, or training related to diversity sensitivity or human rights.

“Calgarians and visitors alike should feel safe when travelling in Calgary by taxi,” said Mario Henriques, chief livery inspector, in a city news release.

“In this situation our investigation has shown the driver’s actions were neither professional nor courteous.”

Chaudhry said the driver at the centre of the investigation has been with United Cabs for about three months.

Although i dont think making out in the back of a cab is the most respectful thing you could do. I have a feeling a straight person would similarly have been kicked out, esp with a religious driver.

ercchry
07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
i wish there was still some sort of professionalism left in journalism

On Tuesday afternoon, the city announced that licensed taxi driver Stephen Eze is suspended until August 5, 2013 following a complaint alleging discriminatory behaviour toward two male passengers.

01RedDX
07-07-2015, 01:46 PM

killramos
07-07-2015, 01:46 PM

Meh these days all that matters if getting the story on the web first. Journalists, bloggers, Ezra Levant, They are all the same.

killramos
07-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Which is still discrimination, especially if they were called &quot;disgusting&quot; in the process.

Is it also discrimination to kick a couple teenagers out of a lego store for making out in front of a bunch of kids?

No one wants to have to sit there while you make out with someone.

If a friend of mine was making out with someone in the back of my car i would dump them on the curb to :dunno:

ercchry
07-07-2015, 01:49 PM

If a friend of mine was making out with someone in the back of my car i would dump them on the curb to :dunno:

you cockblock :rofl:

killramos
07-07-2015, 01:52 PM

you cockblock :rofl:

My friends would know better :rofl:

roopi
07-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Kijho

You are comparing a 4.5km ride that cost you $8.00 USD ($10.15 CAD) to a ride from the Calgary Airport to Coventry Hills? I'm guessing your airport ride was probably about 8-9km so it really isn't that much more.

killramos
07-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Seems like a media blitz from the cab companies. they must be really concerned about the possibility of uber coming into Calgary...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/taxi-drivers-claim-drop-in-stampede-customers

Taxi drivers are fuming over a drop in rides during this year’s Stampede, while customers are pining for alternatives.

“Business is terrible this year,” said driver Telat Mirza, who was perched against a fence as his cab sat in a queue of 10 taxis outside the Stampede grounds on Tuesday.

Other cabs circulated the block, trying to nab a fare from those using side exits.

Mirza said people are taking transit, car2g0, bikes — anything but a cab to get to Stampede, to save on costs.

“And the city is making it harder,” he said.

Last June, the co-operatively owned Calgary United Cabs launched as a challenge to the three big cab companies in town: Associated, Checker and Mayfair. And in September, the city approved allowing 383 new taxi plates into the 1,526-strong system, right before an oil crash slowed demand for cabs.

Meanwhile, Mirza claims his colleagues are increasingly getting $40 parking-authority fines for loitering in areas where they can’t find parking. “What do they expect us to do?”

A few cars in front of him, Manjit Sidhu also took aim at the city for letting more cars into the system.

“The Stampede hasn’t been too bad, but it’s been this entire year,” said Sidhu, a taxi driver for two decades. “People try to make a living instead of being on welfare, but what if you only get a few rides a day?”

Hours later, taxi customers had their own grumblings.

Colin Bail said he’s had no problem getting a cab outside the Cowboys Casino at the taxi stand on 12th Avenue S.E. when it’s late at night. But he said trying to catch a ride in the afternoon is a different story.

“I am just blown away right now because at 2 in the morning, (service) is fantastic, but for some reason, at 5 (p.m.), I’m waiting,” said Bail, who stood in a line alongside 15 other people.

“It’s the middle of the afternoon and I can’t get out of here.”

Bail and other Stampede attendees told the Herald they’re pining for the city to approve the ridesharing app Uber, which allows ordinary drivers to pick up strangers, often for cheaper than a taxi. Cab companies across Canada are campaigning against the app, though a Toronto court ruled in its favour last month.

A nearby taxi customer named Tracy refused to give her last name, but agreed with Bail’s assessment.

“What’s bad also is trying to get a cab in the morning to go to work.”

Half a dozen taxi drivers from all three main companies told the Herald they’re aware of too many cabs lining up at some venues, while being near-impossible to find in other areas of the city. Each driver blamed poor dispatch systems, but also refused to give their names for fear of repercussion at work.

At least the herald is providing a bit of the other side of the story compared the the CBC story in the OP

Seth1968
07-08-2015, 07:36 AM
I only read the first couple of pages, but it sure was an eye opener. That is, not only the examples of various terrible experiences, but also the contrast between cab experience in Lethbridge compared to Calgary.

I only take a cab about once every couple of months here in Lethbridge, and have only experienced the opposite of the stories presented in this thread.

With that said, I've only come across white drivers :dunno:

Xtrema
07-08-2015, 08:36 AM

As shitty as last season of Newsroom is, it touches on this.

We will not have any professionalism in journalism going forward. It'll be all rumors and hearsays that somehow got it right.

Sugarphreak
07-08-2015, 08:54 AM

lilmira
07-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/JohnnyCab.jpg

But Benny got 5 kids to feed.