PDA

View Full Version : Distracted Driving ticket via phone call?

Kobe
06-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Hey so my buddy just messaged me and said he got a phone call earlier today from a police officer and the lady said that they got a complaint from a driver saying he was talking on the phone while driving..

She had told him the ticket will be $300 (Ticket is $172 i think for Distracted driving) and that it will be mailed to him.

He asked how he can get a ticket if they have no evidence and they girl said that people don't like about things like this.

We thought this was a prank call so we have called the phone number back and it is in fact a constables number.

Before you flame me, no this was not me I told him I'll ask on Beyond if this is actually possible to give a ticket like this.

So if this ticket comes in the mail for him, will he have 2 pay it or just go fight it in court?

This seems pretty stupid to me that someone could just go around calling the Police an having them give out distracted driving tickets to everyone...

Thoughts?

vengie
06-30-2015, 07:29 PM
1) say he hasn't been driving all day
2) there is no proof, only second hand account.

Fight it if it comes, very easy win.

Kobe
06-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Yah agreed, just the time he will have to talk 2 go 2 court for the day.

He did say there is no evidence and the officer told him people don't lie about things like this, he brought up O.J Simpson and how there was no evidence on him :rofl:

I just don't understand how/why Police would try to give a ticket for something like this without any evidence..

I'm curious if he did go to court would the witness have to attend as well? I sure as hell would go to court just so the witness has to go as well just to be a prick.. I've never really got a speeding ticket and the one i got once I just paid points, but I think the police officer has 2 show up? Correct?

The_Penguin
06-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Back in 1980something I got a ticket in the mail from the RCMP. Guy called in that I ran a stop sign, and cops just issued the ticket in the mail.
I actually did run the stop sign (slid through it on ice) but was nowhere near the guy who called it in.
No way was I gonna accept a ticket based on a phone call!

Went to court, prosecutor won my case for me, asked the cop for details, my license plate, name or number of the caller, cop had nothing. All I got to say was "not guilty", and "thank you, your honour"

tldr:
Easy win in court.

NoPulp
06-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Wow that's BS. I can't stand distracted drivers, but they can't give a ticket like that...

btimbit
06-30-2015, 07:52 PM
How did they have his phone number?

Kobe
06-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
Back in 1980something I got a ticket in the mail from the RCMP. Guy called in that I ran a stop sign, and cops just issued the ticket in the mail.
I actually did run the stop sign (slid through it on ice) but was nowhere near the guy who called it in.
No way was I gonna accept a ticket based on a phone call!

Went to court, prosecutor won my case for me, asked the cop for details, my license plate, name or number of the caller, cop had nothing. All I got to say was "not guilty", and "thank you, your honour"

tldr:
Easy win in court.

Yah, this is how i'd see it happening, pretty BS ticket though as well...

Originally posted by NoPulp
Wow that's BS. I can't stand distracted drivers, but they can't give a ticket like that...

Yah I would be telling him 2 suck it out and pay the ticket if a police officer busted him, but having a witness call it in i felt like that's complete BS...

Where is the line? I know you can call in for Drunk drivers but how do they go about giving you a ticket for that as well...

ShermanEF9
06-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
How did they have his phone number?

when you register your vehicle they ask you for it.

as for the ticket. just go in, say "nope wasn't me" and its done.

btimbit
06-30-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm very positive I've never been asked for my phone number at a registry.

rage2
06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
It's a huge waste of time. I've gotten them before, just paid them, not worth fighting. It's a registered owners ticket that they send you. Last year I got a few complaints and warnings from CPS because someone wasn't happy that I accelerated fast to the flow of traffic.

I swapped out all my custom plates to the support the troops plates and the complaints stopped. I guess people feel guilty calling you in when you're supporting the troops. Or they think I'm old as fuck, which I am haha.

If it's worth your time to fight it, just get it to trial. The witness (the person that called it in) will never show up. If they do, dress gangsta and stare them down when they show up. :D

macman64
06-30-2015, 08:51 PM
I have a friend who helped the police issue one of these. He was told that if the person takes it to court they would need to attend to defend the ticket as the witness. I assume if this other person shows up you may have trouble fighting it.

Kobe
06-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I swapped out all my custom plates to the support the troops plates and the complaints stopped. I guess people feel guilty calling you in when you're supporting the troops. Or they think I'm old as fuck, which I am haha.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thats amazing

know1edge
06-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I considered this but I love me custom plate :cry:.

top_speed
06-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Got a ticket for careless driving back in 2005, someone called saying I was recklessly driving. Next day cops came to my house, gave me 500 something dollar ticket and I believe 7 demerits. I called up Nadeau and associate paid him 40 bucks and he fought of the ticket, dropped the ticket and demerits they had no proof and i didn't miss a day of work, do not pay it just pay the traffic guys to fight it for you. Easy win

JudasJimmy
07-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by top_speed
Got a ticket for careless driving back in 2005, someone called saying I was recklessly driving. Next day cops came to my house, gave me 500 something dollar ticket and I believe 7 demerits. I called up Nadeau and associate paid him 40 bucks and he fought of the ticket, dropped the ticket and demerits they had no proof and i didn't miss a day of work, do not pay it just pay the traffic guys to fight it for you. Easy win
If the cops came to my house. I wouldn't even answer the door. If they called me, I would just hang up the phone. Sad, but true.

I had one call me. He identified himself a constable whatever, and try to peddle some tickets for supporting kids hockey or something. ended up just hanging up on him too, he was a pure jerk on the phone when I tried to tell him I'm not interested.

FraserB
07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by macman64
I have a friend who helped the police issue one of these. He was told that if the person takes it to court they would need to attend to defend the ticket as the witness. I assume if this other person shows up you may have trouble fighting it.

Even with a witness it would be very easy to get this tossed. Get the cop on the stand, ask when and where the incident occurred, presence of any glare that could impair their view, which way you were driving when they observed you, which side of your vehicle they were on and how they knew there was a phone in your hand as opposed to an iPod/ drink etc... Basically establish the cop never even say you.

Then haul the witness up there. Get them to describe all the same things, ask them to describe make and model of your vehicle and license plate.

Easy to toss and make the cop and the "witness" look like fools.

Traffic_Cop
07-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by JudasJimmy

If the cops came to my house. I wouldn't even answer the door. If they called me, I would just hang up the phone. Sad, but true.

I had one call me. He identified himself a constable whatever, and try to peddle some tickets for supporting kids hockey or something. ended up just hanging up on him too, he was a pure jerk on the phone when I tried to tell him I'm not interested.

Theres is a current phone scam ongoing for rodeo tickets. Callers are identifying themselves as police. CPS Twitter feed has more details. CPS members cannot use their position to sell items.

And yup, with regards to the tickets. Its purely a courtesy call to say they are on the way. You will get them in the mail regardless.

rx7_turbo2
07-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
And yup, with regards to the tickets. Its purely a courtesy call to say they are on the way. You will get them in the mail regardless.

Just to be clear, not that I would do this, but let's say I have an asshole neighbour. I can call up CPS make up some bullshit story about how they were driving distracted or recklessly and CPS will show up at their house with a ticket? My neighbour will be forced to pay the ticket or endure the frustration/cost of fighting it in court, even if I don't show up as a witness? Nothing about this seems flawed :dunno:

Traffic_Cop
07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Just to be clear, not that I would do this, but let's say I have an asshole neighbour. I can call up CPS make up some bullshit story about how they were driving distracted or recklessly and CPS will show up at their house with a ticket? My neighbour will be forced to pay the ticket or endure the frustration/cost of fighting it in court, even if I don't show up as a witness? Nothing about this seems flawed :dunno:

Technically yes. But you would also be required for court and also bear in mind your neighbour will be told who made the complaint. We do not issue tickets annonomously.

Furthermore, if you are taking the time up of the police to conduct an investigation for a purely vexacious or malicious reason, you will be charged criminally for mischief.

OTown
07-01-2015, 01:42 PM
The fines have increased for distracted driving. They are up to $250 + victim assistance and now hold 3 demerit points.

codetrap
07-02-2015, 09:12 AM

JRSC00LUDE
07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Unless it's received as a result of a clear at fault collision fight every single traffic violation issued as far as I'm concerned but ESPECIALLY one issued by some Dudley-fucking-do-right like that. Good grief.

SmAcKpOo
07-02-2015, 02:25 PM
So lets say I have some dash cam footage of a total idiot, I can bring that down to the station and file a complaint?

Mibz
07-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
So lets say I have some dash cam footage of a total idiot, I can bring that down to the station and file a complaint? Sure, but make sure you're not being a whiny priss first. Ask yourself "What would Kritafo do?" and then do the opposite.

blairtruck
07-02-2015, 04:34 PM
in rush hour traffic today and the bro next to me is playing some video game on his ipad while trying to drive. he almost rear ended more then once and was late leaving every light. I was right next to him and could have got a pic of him doing so and the plate. I didnt. Should i have?

Traffic_Cop
07-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
So lets say I have some dash cam footage of a total idiot, I can bring that down to the station and file a complaint?

You would attend a district office, and provide a statement and the disc. This will form part of the accuseds disclosure and you will be required for court.

gqmw
07-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Man, who seriously has the time to call in a complaint and actually show up to court.

revelations
07-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
Man, who seriously has the time to call in a complaint and actually show up to court.

Many have the inclination to find a cop shop and fill out a witness statement - however not many would like to spend a day in court over this (even if legitimate) .

msommers
07-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Sure, but make sure you're not being a whiny priss first. Ask yourself "What would Kritafo do?" and then do the opposite.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

frizzlefry
07-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I cannot believe this is actually possible. The masses are asses. Without dashcam evidence no way should any sort of traffic ticket be issued based on what some person says they saw. People are so stupid and petty they should not have the power to get a ticket issued. Imagine if the people who submit to the 311 app knew they could gets tickets doled out to anyone if they wanted? The NIMBYs in the burbs would send in 50 calls a day about some "reckless driver going 52km/h on the road while children are in the street! CHILDREN!!!" It would be anarchy.

The fact that this can happen is total bullshit. I have a dashcam and catch people all the time doing stupid shit. Yesterday this guy is randomly stopping on 4th ave and putting on his signal then raising his arms in frustration then driving on. My wife figures hes trying to parallel park but no reverse lights are going on. No idea what he's doing. Finally he guns it, slams on his brakes and suddenly reverses into a spot nearly hitting me. Dude had no fucking reverse lights. I considered sending it in to CPS but, even with video evidence, I just can't bring myself to be some lame hall monitor for our roads...and yet CPS accepts someone's word alone before wasting our tax money following up on an incident that only resulted in someone's hurt sensibilities?