PDA

View Full Version : "Terminal Democracy" TV ad for the BC NDP & the USW

Seth1968
07-04-2015, 10:21 AM
The ad is a few years old, and despite the political affiliation, the message is accurate. That is, Corporate takeover of our government and resources.

In the US, the large corporations have already taken over, and they also went on to force the same corruption and devastation on other countries.

The large US Corporations are allowed to pillage the resources and the people with impunity. The inevitable result will be the US knocking on Canada's door to ask us to share our resources. They'll ask politely, but they'll also have a gun tucked in the back of their pants.

One can know that Democracy is quickly fading, but that's only a half truth, as it never really existed. If you think that the US and Canada is a Democracy, then you don't know what a Democracy is, and more importantly, "isn't".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyl5Va8fjuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyl5Va8fjuY

Robin Goodfellow
07-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

The large US Corporations are allowed to pillage the resources and the people with impunity. The inevitable result will be the US knocking on Canada's door to ask us to share our resources. They'll ask politely, but they'll also have a gun tucked in the back of their pants.

That ship has already sailed. See NAFTA, and the proportionality clause.

Seth1968
07-04-2015, 09:45 PM
I didn't know about that clause in NAFTA. So, the US can basically take our oil and water, even if we don't have enough for ourselves.

FFS. The human race is doomed on so many levels.

Seth1968
07-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Let's face it, the global economy is really nothing more than a glorified pyramid scheme. Just like our economy, a pyramid scheme requires constant growth to function.

Our economy requires infinite growth. This means an infinite supply of resources, to which we don't have. It's precisely the reason why the US government invades other countries, steals their resources, pollutes their air and water, and commits genocide.

The "system" is failing, and it will lead to North American mass anarchy and starvation. It's already occurring in other countries.

Think about that the next time you here some clueless politician talk about how we need more economic growth.

Robin Goodfellow
07-05-2015, 09:49 AM
I didn't know about that clause in NAFTA. So, the US can basically take our oil and water, even if we don't have enough for ourselves.

That's basically how I read it.

FFS. The human race is doomed on so many levels.

Yep.

Seth1968
07-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

That's basically how I read it.

That's how I read it as well. The clause also maintains that our resources will be "sold" to the US. What that actually means, is that we will be giving them our resources for basically free.

It's also my understanding that if the US requires it (and they will), we will be obligated to increase oil production, and water delivery methods.

Robin Goodfellow
07-05-2015, 09:51 PM

That's how I read it as well. The clause also maintains that our resources will be "sold" to the US. What that actually means, is that we will be giving them our resources for basically free.

It's also my understanding that if the US requires it (and they will), we will be obligated to increase oil production, and water delivery methods.

Perhaps. My read is that we are obligated to sell at market rate, and never able to decrease supply available for sale.

Oil exports to the US can be increased, but never decreased.

But whatever the case, it's a hair split. The implications are the same: America has greater right to Canadian resources than we do.

Xtrema
07-06-2015, 08:53 AM
If you think NAFTA is bad, wait til TPP.