PDA

View Full Version : Kinniburgh Chestermere

R!zz0
07-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Anyone live in Kinniburgh?

What's the area like compared to Westmere (Marina side)

Are property tax lower in Kinniburgh?

Would you live in Kinniburgh? If no, why not?

I find you get so much of a home in Chestermere than in the city (NW)

canadian_hustla
07-04-2015, 11:49 PM
^
We have been living here for 1 month and absolutely love it (which says a lot after moving from Tuscany NW)

We looked in shores, rainbow falls etc and this seemed to be the best value for your buck

Pros:
Its not Calgary
walking distance to lake
walking distance to both k-9 and high school
Walking distance to medical centric mall
Close to camp chestermere
Excellent access to 16th AND glenmore
really cool laidback neighbors.
quiet (not many people live here)
Everyone has money and fancy cars
low crime
Lots of good deals right now (i know of a new build listed at 59900 that sold for 540000ish)

Cons
lots of unfinished/spec homes
lots of ongoing construction
closeness to amenities (grocery etc)
Air traffic
train tracks on far south end (soon to be decomissioned) but i only hear it once or twice a week

We built with a production builder and feel good about our build. Lots and lots of one off builds here as well if you prefer dealing with smaller builders

In summary, we love it although the market has tanked so it will be awhile before it builds out.

Feel free to pm me

R!zz0
07-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Excellent info man :thumbsup:

How's the property tax? I know you pay more if you're obviously by the lake or across from the park. My friend is in Aspenmere and his house is across from the park and his property tax is $4500-$4700/year. Another guy i know pays around $3500/year and he's no where near a park or anything.

The only small builder that i have seen is "Vanity homes" I don't know what they're like. I've seen few homes from "Douglas homes" and they have very bad reviews. How many small builders do you know that are building in Kinniburgh?

Thanks again man.

canadian_hustla
07-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Excellent info man :thumbsup:

How's the property tax? I know you pay more if you're obviously by the lake or across from the park. My friend is in Aspenmere and his house is across from the park and his property tax is $4500-$4700/year. Another guy i know pays around $3500/year and he's no where near a park or anything.

The only small builder that i have seen is "Vanity homes" I don't know what they're like. I've seen few homes from "Douglas homes" and they have very bad reviews. How many small builders do you know that are building in Kinniburgh?

Thanks again man.

No problem dude. I would say property tax is comparable to Calgary maybe slightly higher. We havent got our tax bill yet but we estimate the value of our home to be $600,000, so using the chestermere mill rate of 7.8472 and / by 1000 its around $4,700/yr or ~$390/mnth. I think the tax rate is consistent throughout chestermere so the only way they can gouge you is on their perceived value of your house.

My calgary taxes were ~$280 a month (value of $455,000) so assuming same calculation the mill rate would be 7.3765. So chestermere is more but not by a crazy amount.

As for builders in kinniburgh, imo from largest to smallest is qualico sterling/broadview, stepper, douglas, lifestyle, vanity and a bunch of one off custom builders on kinniburgh blvd who dont advertise their company name and rarely on mls. We walked through some stepper/douglas and didnt feel like they took us as serious buyers.

In south kinniburgh its just the qualicos and stepper which have an oligopoly over the kinniburgh phase 1, 2 and 4 (4 is estate) lots. . We built with broadview and had a great experience.

Interesting read: http://calgaryrealestatereview.com/2015/07/04/chestermere-home-sales-set-record-in-june/

R!zz0
07-07-2015, 08:11 AM
That was a good read.

We went to broadview show home (Stanford ll) and really liked it.
The marble floor, chef's kitchen and the 2 way fireplace :drool: great home and it's a good size with just over 2700 sq ft.

We're looking more at broadview then any other builders and they're spec homes are nice and ton's of upgrades.

Thanks again for your time, appreciated :)