PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on FWD Turbo Lazers?

Ekliptix
09-28-2002, 09:58 PM
I know the styling and maybe handling on these cars suck, but for just having fun and going fast in a straight line, I've been thinking that they'd be pretty good. They're really cheap($3000), and responds well to mods(same as a Tsi - awd I think). Removing heavy parts would help a lot because I've heard that they're relatively heavy.

I think the fwd would give the drivetrain a longer life then awd when launching hard.

Anyone else ever thought about this?

max_boost
09-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Laser/Talon/Eclipse
I thought they are basically the same car? Same motor?

Ekliptix
09-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Some are awd and some are fwd. As far as I know, the FI ones have the exact same engine as each other.

CRXguy
09-28-2002, 11:00 PM
I'm confused.

Do you mean DSM Laser/Talon/Eclipse or the old skool Daytona/Lazer?

5.9 R/T
09-29-2002, 01:52 AM
There really isn't a lot to take out of the cars, although you will be saving a lot of weight by not going the awd route. The only trade off is loss of traction. And for 3000 the car will be beaten to death before you even get it. They do have the same motors and respond to mods exactly the same, but just out of curiosity, why would you go with a laser?

Ekliptix
09-29-2002, 11:36 AM
just because they're cheaper then the talons. I can't really think of a better budget 1/4mi car.

I was just thinking about it, not to serious.

T5_X
09-29-2002, 02:03 PM
I've actually been thinking of the same thing. Someone told me that FWD turbo lasers are the best projects to get into forced induction. They're not too easy to work with, but not too hard, they're cheap, more reliable than AWD, there's tons of info on dsms. I really like the interior of them too. And I don't think 3 grand will only get you a really beat up one. I was looking at a 90 turbo laser last year at a dealership, it was in fair condition and I got them down to $2700

Weapon_R
09-29-2002, 02:23 PM
I thought lasers came only non-turbo :dunno:

They must be pretty rare?

ninjak84
09-29-2002, 02:45 PM
i lost $50 to a race with a turbo all wheel drive laser. hes a good friend, so it was cool
you wont hear a bad word about them from my mouth :rolleyes:

he works on it a little bit, and he has great success with it. responds really well to mods.

4G63Power
09-29-2002, 03:55 PM
The DSM's are quite easy to work with...and quick out of the box, and even quicker with basic modifications. Also, not to mention cheap for basic mods, since it's already FI. It doesn't take much to hit the 14's and 13's. In regards to the handling, it can also be improved greatly with some suspension mods.

As for the confusion between the different cars...The Laser, Talon, and Eclipse all come in the same trims (different names)
Each has Turbo AWD, Turbo FWD, Non-Turbo, as well as various years had an extra model which was as low as you could go (Eclipse RS, Talon DL).

When looking at purchasing, don't go for the lowest price first...make sure the engine is in good shape, otherwise the mods you add on will be pointless and lead to the failure of the engine.

Ekliptix
09-29-2002, 10:18 PM
It's very hard to find one w/ under 120,000km

infamous
09-29-2002, 10:37 PM
dude me and my bro tested one a while ago, they are sooo fast...it was the fwd model, and that thing flew...i want that car because it looks like such a sleeper.....:burnout: :burnout:

T5_X
09-29-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
It's very hard to find one w/ under 120,000km

If you're looking for one with that mileage, and in really good condition expect to pay about double that 3 grand.

ancient
09-30-2002, 01:34 AM
My buddy has a 91 Talon TSI.... and let me tell you that sucker is fasssssssssst..... Its FWD....

I think he would run low 14s with it easy. He wants to take it to the track to give a run, but hes gotta break in his rebuild first.

Hollywood
09-30-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ancient
My buddy has a 91 Talon TSI.... and let me tell you that sucker is fasssssssssst..... Its FWD....

I think he would run low 14s with it easy. He wants to take it to the track to give a run, but hes gotta break in his rebuild first.

Is that an engine rebuid or turbo rebuild? If engine rebuild what was the cost.

FYI Lot's of places in the US sell DSM stuff cheap. The eclipse is a popular car in the us compared to the talon here. But then there is the tranny prob with them.

4G63Power
09-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

FYI Lot's of places in the US sell DSM stuff cheap. The eclipse is a popular car in the us compared to the talon here. But then there is the tranny prob with them.

Really the trannys only blow from 90-92...from 93 on the tranny's were changed.

As for the shops, Canada really lacks quality shops that understand the DSM, but there are a few. However, the States has some awesome shops, which are a wealth of information, and for the most part are willing to chat with you and help you with your performance goals, and how to achieve them. That's why you will find that most DSM enthusiasts do most of the work on their cars.

ancient
09-30-2002, 12:03 PM
His timing belt broke... those things are notorious for timing belt problems... They gotta be changed like every 20-40 thousand km... Anyways his broke and his engine went kapow, so they rebuilt the head and did some p&p on it.

5.9 R/T
09-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by ancient
His timing belt broke... those things are notorious for timing belt problems... They gotta be changed like every 20-40 thousand km... Anyways his broke and his engine went kapow, so they rebuilt the head and did some p&p on it.

Actually their notorious for having lazy owners forgetting about changing the timing belt, and then all bets are off.

DSM Power
09-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Ahh the poor Laser, not quite as sharp looking as the Talon/Eclipse in my books. :p

Originally posted by 4G63Power
However, the States has some awesome shops, which are a wealth of information, and for the most part are willing to chat with you and help you with your performance goals, and how to achieve them.

Not to mention, there are some excellent DSM web boards out there too. :thumbsup: :D

ecstasy_civic
09-30-2002, 04:40 PM
pretty much all dsm's are recptive to mods if looked after carefully and driven smart. trust me my friend has a very heavily modded 92 talon tsi awd and hes been through everything under the sun with it. and ive been there with him. that 2 litre turbo motor is fast but tons of meticulous maitennace. it is a known fact that a fwd turbo will take a awd turbo from a roll. but if its awd and it launches i wish you luck catching it. weve dumped the clutch @ 6 grand many a times and no car has come close to catching him off the line. hes on his 3rd motor in 3 years now. i love them i almost bought one instead of my civic but....... like i said tons of maitenace and not little stuff either. things break on a regular basis. im sure 4g63 would agree with me that parts are very pricey.

Hollywood
09-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
pretty much all dsm's are recptive to mods if looked after carefully and driven smart. trust me my friend has a very heavily modded 92 talon tsi awd and hes been through everything under the sun with it. and ive been there with him. that 2 litre turbo motor is fast but tons of meticulous maitennace. it is a known fact that a fwd turbo will take a awd turbo from a roll. but if its awd and it launches i wish you luck catching it. weve dumped the clutch @ 6 grand many a times and no car has come close to catching him off the line. hes on his 3rd motor in 3 years now. i love them i almost bought one instead of my civic but....... like i said tons of maitenace and not little stuff either. things break on a regular basis. im sure 4g63 would agree with me that parts are very pricey.

SEE!

ancient
09-30-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Actually their notorious for having lazy owners forgetting about changing the timing belt, and then all bets are off.

He changed his actually, but the mechanic who did it, put on some cheap kind and it broke before the 20 thou

4G63Power
09-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
im sure 4g63 would agree with me that parts are very pricey.

this can be true...but really it's not much more expensive than many other imports. Also, if you do your replacement parts shopping at a local dealer you will get raped.

However I do agree 100% in regards to maintence...if your a person who doesn't know much about cars, or is someone who thinks little odd sounds are normal, then this car is not for you. When you think something is wrong, it's best to be proactive and get things checked out. Otherwise it can become a costly mistake, like in the case of the timing belt