PDA

View Full Version : Subway and Quizno: how STINGY can some get?

Seks
07-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Ordered a 12" oven roasted chicken at this subway. All I got was total of TWO 1/2 slices of cheese, one on each chicken breast (if it's even chicken breast?)

I didn't say anything and left. Judging by the brown name on the business license hanging on the wall, it was probably the owner that helped me.

Couldn't take a picture of the inside when I got home since the toppings and sauce were already mixed in.

NO, I am not racist. And YES I am starting to generalize based on experiences at other locations...and I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

rage2
07-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Just get back at them by ordering a shit ton of the most expensive veggies then picking it out and throwing it in the garbage right in front of them.

ercchry
07-06-2015, 12:34 PM
if you want better food experiences (this thread and the mcdick's one) then eat at better food establishments, its like you are surprised at shitty service and products from fast food places :nut:

Kobe
07-06-2015, 12:54 PM
I think there should be 4 peices of cheese on them? They have a set amount for which sub usually (cheese and meat, like 4 slices or ham or whatever)

It's the veggies that some of the places are so cheap on that it pisses me off. I used to go to the skyview ranch subway all the time for a quick sub but now I'll drive an extra 10minutes to avoid them since they are so cheap an i would always have to ask more more till i got pissed off an said fuck it i'm not going back there...

revelations
07-06-2015, 01:05 PM
This reminds of of the worlds worst (first world country) airport sandwich:

http://i.imgur.com/8RIMdo5.jpg

Hallowed_point
07-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I laughed at the "Sorry, no refills" sign on the pop dispenser which I saw yesterday at a Subway in the Okanagan (Peachland.) :eek: Brown dude working there..probably his boss has told him no more free refills.

lilmira
07-06-2015, 01:06 PM
go stink up the washroom?

HiTempguy1
07-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I laughed at the "Sorry, no refills" sign on the pop dispenser which I saw yesterday at a Subway in the Okanagan (Peachland.) :eek: Brown dude working there..probably his boss has told him no more free refills.

The free water and cents/L cost of the syrup is driving him out of business! :nut:

msommers
07-06-2015, 02:50 PM
According to Russell Peters, brown people are proud of their cheapness. However, a battle may ignite from the Chinese for top bragging rights :rofl:

CanmoreOrLess
07-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers
According to Russell Peters, brown people are proud of their cheapness. However, a battle may ignite from the Chinese for top bragging rights :rofl:

A mixed marriage situation and we have ourselves a decent sit-com aimed at a fairly large demographic in Canada and the USA. Plenty of quality actors in both camps.

JRSC00LUDE
07-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Some acquaintances of mine owned a few subways, oneone by my office, so I would go there in a pinch. They sold it to brown folks and the quality and topping quantity went to shit.
It was no comparison. Always "out" of shredded cheese (the only not processed one).

:thumbsdow

turbotrip
07-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Yea its supposed to be 4 half-slices. U shouldve complained. If u wanted more than 4 tho they would be right to charge u

NoPulp
07-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Subway has only been stingy with veggies for me a couple of times. If they put a pinch of lettuce or 3 pickles I just repeat myself. You will receive a dirty look and a handful more of veggies.

msommers
07-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

A mixed marriage situation and we have ourselves a decent sit-com aimed at a fairly large demographic in Canada and the USA. Plenty of quality actors in both camps.

Basically the ethnic version of this :rofl:

http://www.citytv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/img-allshows-2-broke-girls.jpg

Now where you do find a brown girl with gigantic balloons and horrible acting skills

InRich
07-06-2015, 10:35 PM
I get short changed almost every time I eat at Subway...
unlike you guys though, I really try and embarrass them whenever they do that. I especially notice it on the pickles, olives, and tomato's and cheese.

So at first i'll always say. excuse me, I said lots of olives.
Then its almost as if they start counting out 3 4 5 6 or 7 more for the entire foot long. So that's when I'll start letting em have it

So I said no, maybe you don't understand my english, I said lots of olives. So they'll had a couple more, and usually try to move the sandwich down the line as if to say enough. I'll stop em, and ask again. More olives, and usually say something like, don't worry I don't think this will bankrupt you, stop being so cheap. They'll either laugh it off, or get embarrassed. Either way, I dont care, I like lots of olives. Jesus. Their 99 cents a can FFS.

BandW
07-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
go stink up the washroom?

I worked at Subway ~15 years ago and can recall someone shitting on the bathroom floor.

The owner was notoriously cheap (and was a white, non-jew). If someone asked for too many black olives he would ding them for extra cheese without telling them. He had disabled the screen facing the customer that showed the charges as he punched them in :rofl:

C_Dave45
07-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Basically the ethnic version of this :rofl:

http://www.citytv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/img-allshows-2-broke-girls.jpg

Now where you do find a brown girl with gigantic balloons and horrible acting skills
:rofl:

http://noureendewulf.com/wp-content/uploads/noureen-dewulf-11-maxim-hot-100-1.jpg

Seth1968
07-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by InRich
I get short changed almost every time I eat at Subway...
unlike you guys though, I really try and embarrass them whenever they do that. I especially notice it on the pickles, olives, and tomato's and cheese.

So at first i'll always say. excuse me, I said lots of olives.
Then its almost as if they start counting out 3 4 5 6 or 7 more for the entire foot long. So that's when I'll start letting em have it

So I said no, maybe you don't understand my english, I said lots of olives. So they'll had a couple more, and usually try to move the sandwich down the line as if to say enough. I'll stop em, and ask again. More olives, and usually say something like, don't worry I don't think this will bankrupt you, stop being so cheap. They'll either laugh it off, or get embarrassed. Either way, I dont care, I like lots of olives. Jesus. Their 99 cents a can FFS.

I'd do similar only because I can see them making the food. Otherwise, the food would have an extra unwanted condiment.

cancer man
07-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Subway meats are 1 grade above dog food. This goes the same for Viet subs no protein unless your a rabbit.
If safeway can make a huge sub for the same price wtf are we really eating.
Hotdog pls and hold the onions.

On the side note did anyone notice when you order a sub that the meats were wrapped in wax paper and sized for your sub.Now at Huntington plaza subway they don't do that anymore.
It's like they pick out the extra.

heavyD
07-07-2015, 07:30 AM
It is kind of annoying when you pay $9 for a sub when they sprinkle a little lettuce on your sub. When I hit one of the cheapskate run Subways I just keep asking them to put more, and more, and more until I'm satisfied. In the big picture any manager that thinks saving a bag of lettuce here and there is making a big difference in his /her bottom line has the managerial skills of a rock as they will cost them more in repeat business than they will ever save on the lettuce.

killramos
07-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Subway meats are 1 grade above dog food. This goes the same for Viet subs no protein unless your a rabbit.

Originally posted by cancer man

Hotdog pls and hold the onions.

:confused:

I dont eat at subway either and when i do i get a BLT. Pretty hard to fuck up.

But if you think you are taking some kind of health and meat quality highground by eating a hot dog then :nut:

dirtsniffer
07-07-2015, 08:00 AM
I used to eat subway for lunch pretty regularly downtown. They often did not give a shit how they built my sub and literally just threw toppings on. Recently I have found a few mom and pop sub shops that are way more deserving of my business and can deliver a quality product.

FixedGear
07-07-2015, 06:33 PM
I didn't realize people still ate food from Subway, it's basically the lowest of the low in terms of quality. I'd rather eat a microwaved chicken burger from Kwik-E-Mart.

suntan
07-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I raise you Arby's.

bourge73
07-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Two pages and no Quiznos love ?
So much better than Subway. 9" combo ftw.
Then take containers full of free delicious Pickles,
Hot Peppers, Banana Peppers. Missing out you are...

Blue
07-07-2015, 08:57 PM
use to eat quiznos everyday at sait. then again i rather eat quiznos than subway..

jwslam
07-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Recently I have found a few mom and pop sub shops that are way more deserving of my business and can deliver a quality product.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/388173/support-local-businesses-yes-please/
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Downtown if you can get to Sub-Mission in the watermark tower, it blows away any of the chain places. Nice bread too.

That being said, different locations of subway seem to be better than others. If you find a really bad one, take the time to phone the franchise comments line, I believe the number is on the napkins. Let them know how that location is ripping you off.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/388173/support-local-businesses-yes-please/
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That thread hurt my brain. people love to argue over stupid shit lol

Graham_A_M
07-08-2015, 09:12 AM
This doesn't surprise me as to the level of service that canbe expected from Subway, what does amaze me is how many people actually eat here in the first place.

Feruk
07-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
what does amaze me is how many people actually eat here in the first place.
Exactly. There are so many things I dislike about Subway, but the main thing is the food just isn't good...

+1 for Submission.

Mitsu3000gt
07-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Not that I thought it was healthy, but I didn't realize how bad it was. I was never a Subway regular but I haven't eaten there in years since I read this:

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Still has one of the longest lineups every lunch hour though, along with Wendy's and A&W. I too am amazed how many people go there on the regular.

The best Sandwich I found downtown was in the Lancaster building, which is now gone (hopefully they just moved?) The place was called Choices (there are lots of these but they're all different). This location would pull the hot turkey off of the full bird and put it on your sandwich. They had fresh veggies, real cheese, and local bakery multigrain bread. Sandwich and a salad or fruit was $6.50. It was my go-to but that food court recently shut down so hopefully I can find them again. It was funny, they had a lineup a mile long every single lunch hour, and the Subway and Pita Pit with gross food at double the price across the isle just stood there with no customers watching them haha.

killramos
07-08-2015, 10:18 AM
^ Tims is stupid bad to. A regular turkey bacon club is nearly 500 calories :nut: , its basically on par with a teen burger for nutritional value if you can believe it. Its amazing how they hide shit in there.

Large TBC and Large IceCap is 1200 cal FFS :barf:

heavyfuel
07-08-2015, 10:23 AM
"Convenient" food = garbage, more often than not.

Option A: Get up 1/2 hour earlier, make your own damn sandwich/lunch for work or school. Cheaper, better, and healthier.

Option B: Stay the course and bitch about it on Beyond.

88CRX
07-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Mr Sub > Quiznos > anything else > Subway

That is all I can add to this discussion.

Mitsu3000gt
07-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by killramos
^ Tims is stupid bad to. A regular turkey bacon club is nearly 500 calories :nut: , its basically on par with a teen burger for nutritional value if you can believe it. Its amazing how they hide shit in there.

Large TBC and Large IceCap is 1200 cal FFS :barf:

Yeah Tim's is brutal, but so many people think it's healthy (same deal with Subway). Their muffins have similar calories to a crave cupcake (which I would WAY rather eat) and 500mg sodium. Even some of their bagels have almost 1,000mg sodium, and the ice caps are gross. They taste so fake too and nothing like a real ice cap, I don't know how people get so addicted to them.

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/pdf/TH_Nutrition_Guide_CE_2013_-_FINAL.pdf

As you say, you might as well go get a Teen Burger or something. Similar nutrition and way more satisfying to eat haha.

Jugo Juice Wraps are another worst offender.

Hallowed_point
07-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Agreed. Also I'd like to add that I wish we had Thrifty Foods in AB. Best deli food around :drool:

GotRice?
07-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Not that I thought it was healthy, but I didn't realize how bad it was. I was never a Subway regular but I haven't eaten there in years since I read this:

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Still has one of the longest lineups every lunch hour though, along with Wendy's and A&W. I too am amazed how many people go there on the regular.

The best Sandwich I found downtown was in the Lancaster building, which is now gone (hopefully they just moved?) The place was called Choices (there are lots of these but they're all different). This location would pull the hot turkey off of the full bird and put it on your sandwich. They had fresh veggies, real cheese, and local bakery multigrain bread. Sandwich and a salad or fruit was $6.50. It was my go-to but that food court recently shut down so hopefully I can find them again. It was funny, they had a lineup a mile long every single lunch hour, and the Subway and Pita Pit with gross food at double the price across the isle just stood there with no customers watching them haha.

Was it owned by koreans? Theres a choices in the Petex building across from the Courthouse. 2nd floor +15 level. They usually have a hot turkey off the full bird. Mushroom soup is on another level. I think its called Choices Cafe & hot stone bowl or something.

heavyfuel
07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Aaaaaaaand option B is our most popular choice today folks!

killramos
07-08-2015, 11:20 AM
^ Coming from the guy who is so open to taking others advice on beyond? I think we will get over it.

Mitsu3000gt
07-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?

Was it owned by koreans? Theres a choices in the Petex building across from the Courthouse. 2nd floor +15 level. They usually have a hot turkey off the full bird. Mushroom soup is on another level. I think its called Choices Cafe & hot stone bowl or something.

They were Asian, but to be honest I wouldn't know if they were specifically Korean or not. Some of the Choices locations only have pre-packaged turkey, it's good to know there is another one that takes it right off the bird.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
Aaaaaaaand option B is our most popular choice today folks!

It's not difficult to find healthy "fast" food without making it yourself...I pick option "C" every day.

heavyD
07-08-2015, 12:05 PM

It's not difficult to find healthy "fast" food without making it yourself...I pick option "C" every day.

Easy to say if you are working say downtown in one of those offices where you can come and go as you please but depending on where you work there's not always a great selection of places for lunch and not everyone can take as long a lunch as they need.

Xtrema
07-08-2015, 01:01 PM

Mr Sub near me is horrible. Looks like all the appliances and signs are from 70s.

They are all bad. But will settle if there's nothing else.

I only like Subway because they do chopped salad and you can skim the sauce to make it semi healthy. I go there is there isn't a decent salad bar (Co-Op or Sunterra) close by.

jwslam
07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
They were my favorite, green beans with bacon and apple in the potato salad! If someone knows where they moved to please post!

Yea I think Choices just sells the name i.e. the one in bow valley sells "pho", and yes the ones in lancaster were Korean.

lasimmon
07-08-2015, 01:35 PM
There is a Choices in Shell that is similar to the one that was in lancaster

Brent.ff
07-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I miss working downtown for Submission in a big way. Get there at 11 or the line is ridic.

Spicy chicken salad all the way

raceman6135
07-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Yup, Choices and Fresh Selects were started by a Korean by the name of Han Kim, but are franchised (or maybe just managed - I don't know the exact legal relationship) to other operators.

This is his LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=26856559&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=61Ig&locale=en_US&srchid=302089761436384154692&srchindex=3&srchtotal=23&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A302089761436384154692%2CVSRPtargetId%3A26856559%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary%2CVSRPnm%3Atrue

And here is the About Us page of AIM Alliance, listing him as CEO:
http://www.aimalliance.ca/about-us/

A number of years ago, I worked for him and another partner at an ESL school here in Calgary doing international marketing and student relations. Then, when I was with SMART, I met up with him when he oversaw the construction and opening of the Choices location in the new building on Research Road NW.

Strider
07-08-2015, 02:21 PM

I tried Mr Sub on 16th Ave after the last Subway bashing thread on Beyond... :barf:

Also never saw the appeal of Quiznos, I've only ever gone 2-3 times and found that it was almost 2x the price and the veggies weren't as fresh.

Footlong pizza sub on whole wheat - no cheese, no pizza sauce, tons of veggies, and sub sauce for me. :thumbsup:
(Although I will admit that there's a few subway locations that I've banned for stinginess, and low volume locations won't have as fresh produce... but there's enough around that you can be picky).

ndhal417
07-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I think the same guy owns the Chestermere, Saddelridge, and Skyview Subways because all of them are terrible for the same reasons. They cheap out hard on every topping and sauce. Weird tasting green peppers and onions. Went to a different subway once and they were chopping vegetables by hand, best sub Ive ever had.

heavyfuel
07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Mucho Burrito has em all beat for stinginess. Loaded down with beans/rice and vegetables, very minimal meat and you can't even taste the light sprinkle of cheese. I'll take any Subway in the city anytime over that shit. Hell a double Big Mac has 40g protein for 1/3 what a shitty burrito costs, I don't see a problem there (max. twice a month)

That's why I'm so hellbent on always packing a lunch wherever I go. Complete control and best cost efficiency. I don't get why it is such a challenge for some people.

Mitsu3000gt
07-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
There is a Choices in Shell that is similar to the one that was in lancaster

That was my old go-to until I found the one in Shell. The sandwiches don't compare (IMO) because they don't do the Turkey the same way :)

killramos
07-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Had a Quiznos for lunch today because I was craving after the thread.

Pretty tasty and full of veggies. I just told him to load it up with everything.

Delish!

bourge73
07-09-2015, 03:16 PM
^^ and it also isn't more $$ than Subcrap is it ?

KRyn
07-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Perhaps THIS (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-07-09/jared-isn-t-subway-s-only-problem) has something to do with the lack of toppings.

lilmira
07-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Whole new meaning of eating fresh

dirtsniffer
07-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Perhaps THIS (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-07-09/jared-isn-t-subway-s-only-problem) has something to do with the lack of toppings.

Originally posted by lilmira
Whole new meaning of eating fresh

Zinga

freshvibes
07-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Fuck subway. I've stopped going there after CBC released this episode on their 9 grain bread. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Og9OOorciQ

Now, the deli's in Safeway is where it's at. Decent portion and higher quality for the same price.

The turkey pesto sandwich with extra roasted red peppers and artichokes is amazing :drool:

FixedGear
07-11-2015, 01:49 PM
I honestly can't believe beyondes still eat that shit. We've all been warned, thousands of times, for over a decade:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/why-does-subway-smell-like-donkey-anus/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268456&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=112815

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=224996

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=268353

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=89917

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=320273

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=220468

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=251990

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=379240

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=72850

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=72863

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=252112

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=182167

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=187534

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=234701

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=182876

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=252428

FixedGear
07-11-2015, 06:41 PM
mmmmm..... LOL

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-n4nncVm1giE/VEhwukaIBeI/AAAAAAAAC-Q/I0uZezEPTFA/s1600/20141023_094230_resized.jpg

https://distro-1.retrojunk.com/secure/631bc9fcca217c2d8223710231048f6caeafb900549ad6f4d0b9de12fd11dac5c89859/image/dc01ffa260322e112d9a8ff8e06220c2.png

FixedGear
07-11-2015, 06:42 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--6vVkcgMj--/1221407632752051604.jpg

firebane
07-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by freshvibes
Fuck subway. I've stopped going there after CBC released this episode on their 9 grain bread. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Og9OOorciQ

Now, the deli's in Safeway is where it's at. Decent portion and higher quality for the same price.

The turkey pesto sandwich with extra roasted red peppers and artichokes is amazing :drool:

You needed that to think they are shady? Christ their pickles have alone are a massive salt intake and their "deli" meat :thumbsdow

BandW
07-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by firebane

You needed that to think they are shady? Christ their pickles have alone are a massive salt intake and their "deli" meat :thumbsdow

Pickles in general have a shit load of sodium. That's why I always avoid them.