PDA

View Full Version : Employment Insurance: General Thread

Sugarphreak
07-06-2015, 03:44 PM

ercchry
07-06-2015, 03:48 PM
my mom just did this actually, cash goes to the company and she is paid a "fair" salary, and EI tops up the rest, but this was just a short part time thing

phreezee
07-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Take the contract, take out the money later as a one time management fee.
*I'm not an accountant*:D

Sugarphreak
07-06-2015, 03:51 PM

CompletelyNumb
07-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Don't talk to them. Take the work. Keep getting ei. Leave money in company account.

JudasJimmy
07-06-2015, 10:05 PM
I don't know, it sounds like a pretty big loop hole if you can just lay yourself off and collect UI, while your company continues to have income. That's got to be tracked somewhere.

Matty_10
07-07-2015, 12:20 AM
I sat at home for about 3 hours trying to talk to someone. Said screw it and went to a service canada centre, talked to a nice lady and apparently they have direct access calls to a representative for *emergencies*.

Sugarphreak
07-07-2015, 07:35 AM

killramos
07-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Maybe delete the paper trail on beyond where you have a discussion about actively defrauding the CRA while you are at it :nut:

I get that EI is a Scam but Phreak if you do this you are 100% no better than the Newfoundlanders who abuse it in the off season.

Sugarphreak
07-07-2015, 07:54 AM

killramos
07-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

It is a scam, I've been forced to pay far more into it than I will ever get out... plus this is the first time I've ever even used it, so I wouldn't exactly say I am abusing it.

I am sure the newphies don't think they are abusing the system either but you are literally talking about taking a job, that will pay you albeit indirectly, while collecting EI. Doesn't seem any different to me than taking cash under the table to protect your benefits.

I think right and wrong is pretty clear cut here and maybe its something you could get away with but :dunno:

I think if you do this you lose 100% credibility to ever criticize EI, or people whoa abuse it, ever again.

I'm not trying to be a personal dick here while I might come off that way it just seems like what you are talking about doing is VERY wrong and i feel it should be pointed out.

:angel:

chkolny541
07-07-2015, 08:17 AM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/allowable_earnings.shtml

according to^^. looks like you can earn up to 75$ a week:dunno: :dunno:

Sugarphreak
07-07-2015, 08:21 AM

killramos
07-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Just to be clear; I am aware of that Killramos, and I personally think it would be wrong to collect IE while working.

If I had no moral compass at all, I wouldn't have posted a thread asking for guidance on how to work a temporary short term contract without losing my remaining benefits.

:thumbsup:

nzwasp
07-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Here is the only trick that exists for getting through on the phone: When you dial 1-800-206-7218 you press '0' at the menu for an agent. When you get the message about call volume is too high, you press '1' which takes you back to the main menu. You choose '0' again, and then '1' again if it's still not letting you in. Just 1 and 0 until it lets you wait on hold. Then leave it on speakerphone as you wait.

Hallowed_point
07-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Speaker phone is key. Would it kill them to have a call back service ala SHAW? :dunno: Sounds just like the CRA.

Sugarphreak
07-07-2015, 10:49 AM

Xtrema
07-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Speaker phone is key. Would it kill them to have a call back service ala SHAW? :dunno: Sounds just like the CRA.

Call back service may open to scammers pretending to be CRA/EI.

As we are dealing with highly sensitive data, I'm glad there isn't a call back service.

But phreak is right that the conservative are making all social programs hard to access to 1) enforce ideology 2) save cost.

Hallowed_point
07-07-2015, 11:36 AM
I get the feeling that not being able to get through is intentional, as part of their mission to make it as hard as possible to make or change claims.

They recently change the reporting system too so you have to accept and confirm every single question, then agree and accept the entire thing as a whole later on. They just like to make things as difficult as possible.

Agree..I made one silly mistake on a GST payment and the hoops that I had to jump through to rectify it were just asinine. Had to fax corrections to sask I think.