PDA

View Full Version : Bylaw Car on Property

dezmarez
07-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I'm having trouble finding any real info on the topic.
Is there a bylaw that prohibits keeping cars on private property for long periods of time? Say been parked in the open for 3+ years?

Tik-Tok
07-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Land use bylaw 1P2007 says no dilapidated vehicles allowed outside of a building, and it defines dilapidated as

"dilapidated vehicle" means a vehicle that is:

(a) incapable of being safely operated;

(b) partially or fully dismantled; or

(c) substantially damaged.

There might also be a problem if the vehicle is uninsured or not currently registered, as your driveway is considered public highway unless it's gated.

dezmarez
07-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Land use bylaw 1P2007 says no dilapidated vehicles allowed outside of a building, and it defines dilapidated as

"dilapidated vehicle" means a vehicle that is:

(a) incapable of being safely operated;

(b) partially or fully dismantled; or

(c) substantially damaged.

There might also be a problem if the vehicle is uninsured or not currently registered, as your driveway is considered public highway unless it's gated.

Thanks boss!

A790
07-07-2015, 07:01 AM
There is a truck in mediocre condition that is right outside my driver, within 1m of it. Someone said that I could have it towed... is that true?

killramos
07-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by A790
There is a truck in mediocre condition that is right outside my driver, within 1m of it. Someone said that I could have it towed... is that true?

Yup. Not to mention it needs to be 1.5 m off your driveway to be legally parked regardless.

There are few but ugly ones on my street ( NE gotta NE) that i have considered calling in. I just don't want to be a dick.

One of them seriously has 3 windows missing and no tires on the rims.

You can even use the 311 app to do it. Might not want to let them catch you take the picture though :rofl:

HomespunLobster
07-07-2015, 07:18 AM
If there is one person on the street like this, understandable to call in.

If everyone in the neighborhood has a junk car on their property, maybe it's time to check kijiji for the under $500 car section.

mikestypes
07-07-2015, 07:54 AM
My neighbour has had a beat up 77 Celica with no drivetrain on his driveway for the 3 years I have lived on the street. Not once have I thought about calling it in because I was hoping it eventually turned into what I assumed would be a cool project...well that just happened.

He pulled it into the garage the other day and was making a ton of noise so I decided to be nosy. Turns out he was swapping the axle out for a Supra IRS and had a 1UZ on the engine stand ready to go in. :drool:

Now if it had been a dilapidated 90's Grand Am on the street, I would have phoned it in!

killramos
07-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by mikestypes

Now if it had been a dilapidated 90's Grand Am on the street, I would have phoned it in!

You must know the guy down my street! :rofl:

ercchry
07-07-2015, 08:25 AM
There is a guy around the corner from me with a POS vette in his backyard with a POS fence that falls over all the time, been like that for at least 4 years, I've seen bylaw at his house... its still there :banghead:

killramos
07-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
There is a guy around the corner from me with a POS vette in his backyard with a POS fence that falls over all the time, been like that for at least 4 years, I've seen bylaw at his house... its still there :banghead:

MUCH easier to get a car removed from driveway than back yard form what i understand.

The other factor you might have ignored is maybe the vette actually runs.

Its not illegal for it to be ugly, just for it to be dilapidated.

Strider
07-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
If there is one person on the street like this, understandable to call in.

If everyone in the neighborhood has a junk car on their property, maybe it's time to move out of the NE.

FTFY

revelations
07-07-2015, 08:55 AM
The bylaws might say one thing, but getting the city to enforce it might be another story!

Tik-Tok
07-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

Shame how some people can let a supercar go like that.

ercchry
07-07-2015, 10:23 AM
oh look, there is is with the POS exploder he had too, at least that seems to be gone now

http://i.imgur.com/hcsOjrW.jpg

dezmarez
07-07-2015, 01:20 PM
So 3 broken down cars on a "parking pad" would be reasonable to make a complaint?
I just looked at Google Street and 2 of the cars are there, and the pictures are from quite a while ago.

vw_rabbit2.5
07-29-2015, 11:18 AM
is there a bylaw on how many cars can be parked on a property? My one neighbour has at least 7 cars parked along his property at all times (2 in the garage, 2 in the driveway, and at least 3 parked along the sidewalk/curb in front of his house. His house is situated on a corner and there are always cars parked on the corner, despite a yield sign that says "no parking within 5m".

I feel like this guy is running a car shop out of his garage.

killramos
07-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Don't think there is a rule on number but if he is ignoring a posted sign then your question seems to answer itself. Call CPA.

As long as the cars are registered, running, and parked legally there is nothing that can be done about cars parked on the property unless there is some kind of a community bylaw.

There is also the 1.5m of driveway rule which i don't think has an exemption built in for owners of said driveway :dunno:

as for running a car shop out of his garage that could be a CRA ( if its cash under the table) , Zoning ( commercial in a residential) , or AMVIC ( licensing ) violation but good luck proving it.

HiTempguy1
07-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Some of you guys are awful neighbours :rofl:

I understand truly broken down rust buckets not moving, but a project car parked on the driveway or in the backyard? Really?

And "I think he's running a shop?" So what, mind your own f&%king business if it doesn't affect you. Have you ever done anything for cash under the table? Please let us know so we can report you to the CRA :rolleyes:

F&%king Beyond soccer-moms.

Lex350
07-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I understand truly broken down rust buckets not moving, but a project car parked on the driveway or in the backyard? Really?

And "I think he's running a shop?" So what, mind your own f&%king business if it doesn't affect you. Have you ever done anything for cash under the table? Please let us know so we can report you to the CRA :rolleyes:

My neighbor had a beat to shit 68 Camaro sitting on his driveway from the day I moved in till the day I moved out. I saw him work on it one. However...at least he understood and put a car tarp on it.

killramos
07-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

To be fair the bylaws exist for a reason and if your neighbor is working on 6+ cars at a time or running a business out of his garage hes the one being the dick to the rest of his neighbors.

If you don't want to abide by city bylaws feel free to move onto a 1/4 section outside the city where you can leave as many cars strewn across your property that you can fit.

D'z Nutz
07-29-2015, 03:32 PM
So there isn't a bylaw car parked on your property?

HiTempguy1
07-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That is exactly what I wanted to know when I opened this thread. Was saddened to only find soccer moms with #fwp :(

E46..sTyLez
07-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

LOL that's what I was hoping for too haha