PDA

View Full Version : Another noise snare thread...

Pages : [1] 2

16hypen3sp
07-07-2015, 12:27 AM
This isn't totally about noise bylaws in Calgary or Edmonton, more of myself doing a little research on what to expect.

In 2013, Red Deer elected a new mayor. A mayor who has kept her platform available on the internet for all to see since her victory.

There is a weekly car show and shine that I frequent coming up on Thursday night. Today, I looked at a Facebook post from Red Deer City Hall saying that at this show and shine, there will be RCMP with decibel readers and anyone who wants to have their machines tested can have it done.

It's a little concerning. In my years of going to this event, I have saw numerous police there, not one was interested in testing decibels. Also, I have never heard of this type of test taking place at this event before.

For years and years, it seemed to me that Red Deer never enforced any vehicle noise bylaws. I don't know a single person from the area that has ever been pulled over and tested for vehicle noise.

Getting back to the mayor and her platform, she seems interested in pursuing more enforcement and additional noise provisions. She's looking at what Calgary and Edmonton have done and building on that. She mentions "noise snare" technology. To the best of my knowledge, there is no noise snare equipment in use in Red Deer currently.

http://www.veerforreddeer.ca/follow-campaign/tara-issues/tara-discusses-vehicle-noise/

Currently in Red Deer, there are bylaws against noise but the bylaw seems vague. In that Facebook post today it says "Installing aftermarket components to your vehicle may cause it to be in violation of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act or The City of Red Deer Community Standards Bylaw."

Here is the bylaw, but makes no mention of a specific limit. Couldn't find anything within the TSA.

Part 1 - Noise
http://www.reddeer.ca/media/reddeerca/city-government/bylaws/Community-Standards-Bylaw.pdf

You guys have been around noise snare equipment for a while now in Calgary, correct? Calgary turned their bylaw into a fiasco? Both Edmonton and Calgary seem to have their limits at 96db(A). Is this low, high? Has enforcement been a gongshow?

I'm just worried that she's heading down the wrong path. Edmonton picks on motorcycle riders. And Calgary came up with a vague bylaw.

Fly Fishin'
07-07-2015, 06:11 AM
I have heard that they put mics on a few of the red light cameras so if you cheese it through a yellow they can double hit you. But I have no proof of this. At distinctive we would get a reading on every car we did a muffler swap on, some of the Ferrari hit 108-115db and the owners just laugh. I have never been pulled over for noise in my rice rocket but I also drive like a bitch 98% of the time.

killramos
07-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Sounds like the RCMP officers at the meets are just trying to provide a service, they arent going out there to ticket people but more to spread awareness. I would personally find it interesting to know what my car would pull stock for noise on cold startup or WOT. And my car isnt loud.

Lets face it though alot of people install stupid cat back exhausts without mufflers etc. that sound horrible and they do it 90% to show off and be dinks to others. Often times the performance gains are minimal at best. Motorcyclists are as guilty as this as any one else is.

Here is the other side of the coin, even many cars with loud installed exhausts arent really that loud and arent breaking any bylaws unless their drivers are driving like idiots. In most of these cases their actions would warrant a stunting ticket anyways and the noise violation is icing on the cake to teach people a lesson.

There are obviously exceptions to every rule with lots of cars that will break the limit stock etc etc. and i don't agree with additional enforcement but maybe the mayor is doing this because people have been abusing the system to this point already? The last time i was in the city of red deer there were stupid loud cars ripping around at WOT disturbing the peace every 5-10 minutes. It was more than irritating imo.

Anyways thats my thoughts on this and i dont want this to turn into another debate like Toxics old AMG thread :rofl:

:dunno:

rage2
07-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
You guys have been around noise snare equipment for a while now in Calgary, correct? Calgary turned their bylaw into a fiasco? Both Edmonton and Calgary seem to have their limits at 96db(A). Is this low, high? Has enforcement been a gongshow?
The problem with the Calgary bylaw is not the limit itself, it's the lack of distance defined in the bylaw for measurements. You can hit 96db by sticking a microphone inside a Prius exhaust, and the bylaw allows that because there is no definition of distance whatsoever. In fact, the bylaw specifically states "at any point of reception". Total disregard of how sound measurements work. No joke.

Fun reads from a few years back, too bad the city removed all our document links.

http://www.beyond.ca/calgary-noise-snare-bylaw-is-flawed/15388.html

http://www.beyond.ca/calgarys-excessive-vehicle-noise-bylaw-and-its-flawed-creation/15447.html

16hypen3sp
07-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info and opinions.

killramos, you're correct. The decibel reader will only be there so drivers/riders can understand just how quiet/loud their vehicles are. No tickets will be issued.

But doesn't this kind of seem like a small stepping stone towards enforcement and more rules? We start out with this right now, and in a years time, see noise snare equipment on the streets?

lilmira
07-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Didn't feel like starting another thread. This guy complains about noisy basketball court during the day behind his house. I wouldn't like it at night when I'm in bed but during the day? :dunno:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2097704/calgary-man-says-hell-pay-city-10000-to-move-noisy-basketball-court/

HiTempguy1
07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially in Red Deer.

Edmonton is still super lenient with noise tickets. The police give you that ticket if you are driving like a retard, but you haven't specifically broken any rules. Kind of goes hand in hand with tint tickets.

Also, there are so many variables that affect sound measurements that I find it difficult to imagine having a ticket stand up in court.

gogreen
07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Thanks for the info and opinions.

killramos, you're correct. The decibel reader will only be there so drivers/riders can understand just how quiet/loud their vehicles are. No tickets will be issued.

But doesn't this kind of seem like a small stepping stone towards enforcement and more rules? We start out with this right now, and in a years time, see noise snare equipment on the streets?

The wording on this link is interesting:

http://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happening/news-room/do-you-know-your-noise.html

"There will be an amnesty period given to those whose vehicles are seen as being in violation of existing noise regulations."

With such a vague bylaw I'm not sure how they'd determine which vehicles are in violation, and "amnesty period" seems to suggest the possibility of a warning, with their lenience having an expiry date.

CanmoreOrLess
07-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Didn't feel like starting another thread. This guy complains about noisy basketball court during the day behind his house. I wouldn't like it at night when I'm in bed but during the day? :dunno:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2097704/calgary-man-says-hell-pay-city-10000-to-move-noisy-basketball-court/

I lived across the street from a double court. It is loud. Thankfully winter came and they all pissed off somewhere.

M.alex
07-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

That would piss me the fvck off too.

i remember long time ago one of my neighbors set up a basketball hoop in their driveway and played for 4-5hrs/day. After hearing the ball go BOUNCE OUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE OUNCE BOUNCE every second for hours on end, day after day, is fvcking annoying as piss.

Black Gts
07-08-2015, 05:09 PM
When I was like 7 I would throw a ball against a neighbours brick wall for hours practising my Roberto alomar styles, they let it go months until they asked me to stop. Knowing what I know now, I'm surprised I wasnt abducted and tortured lol.

rx7boi
07-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2
[B]
The problem with the Calgary bylaw is not the limit itself, it's the lack of distance defined in the bylaw for measurements. You can hit 96db by sticking a microphone inside a Prius exhaust, and the bylaw allows that because there is no definition of distance whatsoever. In fact, the bylaw specifically states "at any point of reception". Total disregard of how sound measurements work. No joke.

Will that not work in your favour if you go in to argue it?

What reasonable JP would allow a noise ticket to be written if they stick it right next to the tips?

Bylaw definition probably wouldn't help reduce the chance of getting the ticket if they really wanted to enforce it, but if you can't nip the problem in the bud at least you still have a fighting chance down the line.

16hypen3sp
07-13-2015, 12:38 PM
After watching a quick clip on Youtube where a guy measured the decibels on a stock Honda Fury... I'm a little concerned. Lol

BrknFngrs
07-13-2015, 12:48 PM
It's too bad that they couldn't properly setup this bylaw and start enforcing it ASAP. Nothing wrong with a nice vehicle being a louder than average but some groups are intentionally obnoxious and deserve the fines.

M.alex
07-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
It's too bad that they couldn't properly setup this bylaw and start enforcing it ASAP. Nothing wrong with a nice vehicle being a louder than average but some groups are intentionally obnoxious and deserve the fines.

that's discrimination. if a shit box civic can't be 140decibels, neither should an aventador.

Sugarphreak
07-13-2015, 10:08 PM

themack89
07-13-2015, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
It is funny if you pay attention; some neighborhoods are all basketball hoops, while others are trampolines.

haha... Varsity for the trampolines.

16hypen3sp
10-17-2020, 09:24 AM
Looks like I might be racking up the fines next year. Loud stereo of course....

https://reddeer.ca/whats-happening/news-room/targeted-noise-bylaw-enforcement-in-response-to-citizen-concerns.html

born2workoncars
10-17-2020, 09:58 AM
They need to run a pilot on 17th ave.

Nobody wants to hear your shit on 17th. It's painfully obvious how insecurities manifest themselves in attention seeking behavior. Most of these dudes are frantically looking around to see if anyone is noticing the noise they're producing. Just fuck off!

revelations
10-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Nobody wants to hear your shit on 17th. It's painfully obvious how insecurities manifest themselves in attention seeking behavior. Most of these dudes are frantically looking around to see if anyone is noticing the noise they're producing. Just fuck off!

The problem is that it will catch stock lambos and ferraris, along with the fart can civics there.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2020, 10:38 AM
The number of lambos is pretty low. Plus, fuck em.

revelations
10-17-2020, 10:44 AM
The number of lambos is pretty low. Plus, fuck em.

Agreed, anyone idle redlining their v12 or 1000cc (to >15,000 rpm) at a red light next to the Ship should be fined. If it catches mostly fart cans, good too. The question is still 'how much noise is considered too much'? The karens would argue that there should be no engine sounds whatsoever while car guys argue that anything at idle should be fine.

dirtsniffer
10-17-2020, 10:45 AM
Its mostly fags on Harleys.

Fuck them extra

https://youtu.be/BkqCmVXXbk4

ExtraSlow
10-17-2020, 11:02 AM
there should be a fine for "loud pipes save lives" stickers.

killramos
10-17-2020, 11:06 AM
I have always struggled with the logic behind the retards on bikes who rip back and forth down 17th (I mean that literally, when you see the same douche canoe literally riding in a circle).

Is there something thrilling to you about riding your litre bike in stop and go traffic?

revelations
10-17-2020, 11:18 AM
I can tell you as a former rider that groups often went to 17th to stare at girls. Sometimes revving your engine or honking a horn at a particular person or group, got their attention. Anyone from CGP still here remeber the discussions?

Im sure the number of low speed motorcycle collisions, or drops, were quite high in that area due to, 'distractions' .... um. I only got flashed once there - and I didnt have to even do anything! (good old days)

ThePenIsMightier
10-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Note to self.
Hand Rep out to dirtsniffer ExtraSlow and killramos as soon as humanly possible.
Set an alarm for 03:30 if needed!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-17-2020, 12:26 PM

Living on 17th I agree. It’s not the exotic cars its the bikes and modified shitboxes more than anything.

kertejud2
10-17-2020, 12:30 PM
ylhsbfQTPDQ

16hypen3sp
10-17-2020, 01:03 PM
Can’t speak to Calgary issues but in Red Deer, the data is showing the complaints are coming in at nighttime. Not the morning, afternoon or evening. If you’re ripping around on a very loud bike thru neighbourhoods in the middle of the night, yah that’s a definite problem. I haven’t rode during night in years, but when I did, I always idled my bike, sometimes even walked it to my house from the main road.

The biggest problem in this news release is telling people to get license plates and file a complaint. Great, more RO tickets in the mail. This whole complaints thing is getting out of hand. My cousin got a careless driving ticket recently in the mail because someone didn’t like the way he changed lanes. That was in Lethbridge.

mazdavirgin
10-18-2020, 10:42 AM
All I have to say is that downtown is so damn quiet at night now that there's some snow on the ground. It's not really the cars it's almost exclusively the bikes. Hell some of the bikes rattle windows 10 stories up just idling at the lights never mind when they actually crank the throttle.

16hypen3sp
08-24-2022, 10:41 AM
The City of Red Deer dropped the hammer on this just recently. First day of enforcement saw some tickets of course, one of which was a woman riding a bone stock Suzuki Boulevard according to the local riding groups. Saw some chatter online saying the CPOs were putting the decibel reader microphone right up into the exhaust. Some import tuners got hit as well.

Decibel level thresholds are 92dB at idle and 96dB at any engine speed greater than idle according to the bylaw.

Stock Honda Fury breaks that and the bikes I have since owning a Fury haven't gotten any more quiet. lol

I'll update this thread with the inevitable when it happens. haha

rage2
08-24-2022, 01:24 PM
Another bylaw with no defined distances. Good times.

StupidWade
08-24-2022, 03:43 PM
Automate it. This is something they're testing in France. The "Medusa".

https://musictech.com/news/paris-sound-sensors-medusa-sound-pollution/

ExtraSlow
08-24-2022, 04:58 PM
Can we combine that Medusa with a sniper-bot?

killramos
08-24-2022, 06:12 PM
Can we combine that Medusa with a sniper-bot?

That isn’t very efficient at “revenue” generation. Unlikely to get political traction.

ExtraSlow
08-24-2022, 06:20 PM
I just like snipers. Is that so wrong?

killramos
08-24-2022, 06:35 PM
I just like snipers. Is that so wrong?

Probably. But who am I to judge.

16hypen3sp
04-22-2023, 10:21 AM
VOLUME WARNING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3Je40Wv3w&ab_channel=PODSTERRR

Yolobimmer
04-22-2023, 11:22 AM
I can tell you as a former rider that groups often went to 17th to stare at girls. Sometimes revving your engine or honking a horn at a particular person or group, got their attention. Anyone from CGP still here remeber the discussions?

Im sure the number of low speed motorcycle collisions, or drops, were quite high in that area due to, 'distractions' .... um. I only got flashed once there - and I didnt have to even do anything! (good old days)

Haha. "The Shell's Angels" is what we called those cockroaches.

Good times.

And wow, what a wicked thread bump.

firebane
04-22-2023, 11:39 AM
VOLUME WARNING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3Je40Wv3w&ab_channel=PODSTERRR

LOL asking to rev a 4 cylinder bike to 5k? That bylaw and any associated to it is a joke but since nobody can really contest it... it won't go away.

rage2
04-22-2023, 11:42 AM
Edmontons bylaw interestingly notes a measurement distance of 50cm, unlike our stupid bylaw.

firebane
04-22-2023, 11:56 AM
Edmontons bylaw interestingly notes a measurement distance of 50cm, unlike our stupid bylaw.

Yeah but at 1.5 feet you are basically sitting on top of the muffler which is obviously going to be one of the loudest spots. And at that range it would be pretty easy to overpower a small decibel meter.

killramos
04-22-2023, 12:14 PM
Would you feel better if it was a really big decibel meter?

firebane
04-22-2023, 12:27 PM
Would you feel better if it was a really big decibel meter?

I would feel better if those bullshit bylaws were non-existent.

ZenOps
04-22-2023, 12:32 PM
Electric scooter is even quieter than walking. Noisy joggers lol.

Its easy to scare the bejeebus out of people on a scoot.

Yolobimmer
04-22-2023, 01:44 PM
Electric scooter is even quieter than walking. Noisy joggers lol.

Its easy to scare the bejeebus out of people on a scoot.

Or just go on aliexpress and order "fake exhaust pipes". Haha

dirtsniffer
04-22-2023, 02:35 PM
Fucking fags ruining patio season.

ThePenIsMightier
04-22-2023, 03:53 PM
How much is the ticket?

ExtraSlow
04-22-2023, 04:05 PM

Its a myth that every motorcycle enthusiast is gay.

jutes
04-22-2023, 04:25 PM
It’s gay to rip up and down the same dt street impressing strangers. Motorcycle or vehicle. Take that shit to the highway.

ThePenIsMightier
04-22-2023, 04:27 PM
"Impressing"... LoL!

firebane
04-22-2023, 04:46 PM
It’s gay to rip up and down the same dt street impressing strangers. Motorcycle or vehicle. Take that shit to the highway.

Please point on the doll where the bad man touched you please.

killramos
04-22-2023, 06:10 PM
Calling them “men” is a stretch

dirtsniffer
04-22-2023, 06:14 PM
https://youtu.be/xGyKBFCd_u4

ThePenIsMightier
04-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Please point on the doll where the bad man touched you please.

In/on/around the ears. Both of them. Repeatedly and violently in spite of vigorous and clear direction to not do that.

2Legit2Quit
04-22-2023, 07:53 PM
https://youtu.be/ylhsbfQTPDQ

rage2
04-22-2023, 10:06 PM
Forgot is hot this in Edmonton last weekend.

Vroomers haha.

firebane
04-22-2023, 10:25 PM
https://www.michaeljanz.ca/noise

Lol full of such stupidity

16hypen3sp
04-23-2023, 07:48 AM
How much is the ticket?

The guy who posted the video said he got $410 worth of tickets. Plural. So I'm assuming he got more than the noise fine, which in Edmonton WAS $250 for first offence I believe. As of Feb of this year, it's now $1000. Ouch!

Perhaps he got a ticket for helmet modification as that cop was yapping about his helmet mounted Go-Pro camera being an issue.... which really bothers me.

firebane
04-23-2023, 08:05 AM
The guy who posted the video said he got $410 worth of tickets. Plural. So I'm assuming he got more than the noise fine, which in Edmonton WAS $250 for first offence I believe. As of Feb of this year, it's now $1000. Ouch!

Perhaps he got a ticket for helmet modification as that cop was yapping about his helmet mounted Go-Pro camera being an issue.... which really bothers me.

He really needed to question the cop on that because I would like to see where the cop is pulling that line from. I'm all for speaking about laws in the proper context, but if you are going to do that.. then cite where you got that info from.

16hypen3sp
04-23-2023, 09:23 AM
He really needed to question the cop on that because I would like to see where the cop is pulling that line from. I'm all for speaking about laws in the proper context, but if you are going to do that.. then cite where you got that info from.

I'd assume it was from here but this is specifically for off highway vehicles:

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGULATION

Safety helmet

9.1(4) A safety helmet must be free of damage or modification that would reduce its effectiveness.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-319-2002/latest/alta-reg-319-2002.html

firebane
04-23-2023, 09:36 AM
I'd assume it was from here but this is specifically for off highway vehicles:

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGULATION

Safety helmet

9.1(4) A safety helmet must be free of damage or modification that would reduce its effectiveness.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-319-2002/latest/alta-reg-319-2002.html

And I would disagree that a foam sticky mount on a helmet is going to reduce its effectiveness. I see that as some like cutting the straps off the helmet or screwing something onto it.

Just another vague rule with the ability to make assumptions on how its interpreted.

vengie
04-23-2023, 09:45 AM
And I would disagree that a foam sticky mount on a helmet is going to reduce its effectiveness. I see that as some like cutting the straps off the helmet or screwing something onto it.

Just another vague rule with the ability to make assumptions on how its interpreted.

You're free and welcome to fight it in court.
They write these tickets because most will not fight it.

Remember boys and girls, the Police are also a business. They write tickets to generate revenue to support their budgets. More revenue = higher budgets.

ThePenIsMightier
04-23-2023, 09:47 AM

$250 is fair~ish but a bit much. $400+ is crazy.
It's a simple rule that requires more enforcement instead of stiffer fines. 100dB is really loud and going beyond that is silly and the only reason the majority of people go beyond that is so they can actively ruin other people's days outside. That's not how society works so put the factory muffler back on our go drown yourself in a storm pond.

ExtraSlow
04-23-2023, 10:01 AM
There is a strong trend of increasing penalties instead of enforcement for stuff like this.

firebane
04-23-2023, 10:36 AM
There is a strong trend of increasing penalties instead of enforcement for stuff like this.

Because they hope by using penalties people will stop what they are doing such as riding motorcycle or driving a vehicle. Enforcement is a loss of revenue.

ThePenIsMightier
04-23-2023, 10:40 AM

Right, but it's faulty logic. ~20 years ago, Ontario increased the fine for parking illegally in a handicap stall to something like $10k. Like good jorb! Why not $100k or 100 billion dollars? It's not like you're actually going to collect a fucking dime of that. Why not a public hanging? How about being stoned to death in a hockey arena?

Just make the enforcement super frequent so that these dirt bags can't leave their house without getting harassed into submission. Because they are going out to actively harass the rest of society trying to enjoy their days off.

But still defund the police...

ExtraSlow
04-23-2023, 10:45 AM
I also think it's faulty logic.

ThePenIsMightier
04-23-2023, 10:49 AM
I also think it's faulty logic.

I know you did, Fam.

16hypen3sp
04-23-2023, 04:03 PM

I found a study from Australia where they did testing to helmets with various attachments. It was done in 2021.

The results revealed that attaching a camera or communication device to a motorcycle
helmet does not, on average, increase the risk of head or neck injury to the person wearing
the helmet, in a crash. Whilst some adverse results were found, there were no discernible
patterns to these and the overall injury risk in these scenarios was marginal.

The findings of the study informed changes to Transport for NSW policy, which now allow
motorcycle riders to attach aftermarket camera and communication devices, provided they
do so properly and following manufacturers’ instructions.

Seems the facts and data support your opinion. Which is good, because I share the same sentiment lol

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/safety-impact-helmet-attachments.pdf

ExtraSlow
04-23-2023, 04:06 PM
Cops very much do not want to be videotaped.

16hypen3sp
04-23-2023, 04:06 PM
You're free and welcome to fight it in court.
They write these tickets because most will not fight it.

Remember boys and girls, the Police are also a business. They write tickets to generate revenue to support their budgets. More revenue = higher budgets.

Aren't they easy to win in court because they can't isolate ambient noise? Also, I read a reddit post from Alberta a while ago where they were saying they just didn't start their bike up. Just didn't comply because that person would self-incriminate themselves hahaha

suntan
04-23-2023, 04:31 PM
Just tell them your bike identifies as a ten-speed.

pheoxs
04-23-2023, 05:27 PM
Testing some bikes at 2k rpm and others at 5k rpm is such a joke. When I bought my SV1000 the exhaust from the prior owner genuinely hurt my hearing doing a redline pull (11k redline) but testing at 2k wasn’t even close to going over the limit.

rage2
04-23-2023, 06:16 PM

https://nypost.com/2014/10/13/gopro-camera-caused-schumachers-head-injury-report/

firebane
04-23-2023, 06:20 PM
https://nypost.com/2014/10/13/gopro-camera-caused-schumachers-head-injury-report/

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/10/09/michael-schumachers-brain-injury-said-to-be-caused-by-his-gopro-helmet-cam/

And another article that states they don't believe it was the cause.

So again.. open to interpretation and a lot of gray area.

killramos
04-23-2023, 06:53 PM
I don’t really care if motorcyclists turn themselves into vegetables. Freedumb. Would probably help if we voided their socialized healthcare down to just paying to scrape them off the pavement.

People who modify their exhaust to be nothing useful and purely annoying, keep fining them until they grow a second brain cell.

sexualbanana
04-24-2023, 11:32 AM
I've spent so much time in the car scene that I shouldn't be, but having lived downtown for the last 10 years, I'm surprised at the God awful tuning (or lack thereof) of cars.

pheoxs
04-24-2023, 11:47 AM
Anyone that installs crackle tunes needs deserves a bag of sand in their gas tank

BerserkerCatSplat
04-24-2023, 11:49 AM
Anyone that installs crackle tunes needs deserves a bag of sand in their gas tank

So much this. Was driving behind a guy with a crackle tune in his fucking Tacoma a while back. Why?

firebane
04-24-2023, 12:04 PM

There are good and bad crackle tunes. Unfortunately all you hear is the bad ones.

bjstare
04-24-2023, 12:10 PM
There are good and bad crackle tunes. Unfortunately all you hear is the bad ones.

I disagree wholeheatedly. There are no good ones. The only good crackle is one that hasn't been manufactured via tuning.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-24-2023, 12:18 PM

Did you hit your head with a GoPro attached to the helmet or something?

Swank
04-24-2023, 01:56 PM
Who purposely wants their car to sound like it's in dire need of a tune-up? Don't sound poor!

rage2
04-24-2023, 01:58 PM
I blame AMG for making it popular. The black series cars all featured exhaust burbles before they gave it to every single AMG car in sport+ or higher modes. I still like it if it's not obnoxious. The aftermarket (I think) BMW ones sound like fucking machine guns firing.

bjstare
04-24-2023, 02:16 PM
I blame AMG for making it popular. The black series cars all featured exhaust burbles before they gave it to every single AMG car in sport+ or higher modes. I still like it if it's not obnoxious. The aftermarket (I think) BMW ones sound like fucking machine guns firing.

There's a highschool kid with a 340i that lives somewhere around me that has exhaust and the most obnoxious pop tune. It makes me want to slap him.

killramos
04-24-2023, 02:45 PM

The AMG ones are a guilty pleasure I agree.

My M2 does it but it’s not exactly a loud car so it’s hard to even notice.

firebane
05-31-2023, 10:33 PM
Looks like Calgary is up to shenanigans again...

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-noise-enforcement-bylaw-wont-begin-until-at-least-next-summer

dirtsniffer
06-01-2023, 08:06 AM
shut up, fag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4&t=8s

killramos
06-01-2023, 08:10 AM
Hey look. The Courtney’s again

jutes
06-01-2023, 08:32 AM
If they could enforce noise on motorcycles that would solve most noise issues. At least the majority of cars/trucks are quiet enough in the lower RPMs, even with aftermarket exhausts. Bikes are just noise makers for the sake of making noise.

/yells at clouds.

rage2
06-01-2023, 09:04 AM
I drove down 17th the other day, and funny enough it wasn’t bikes making the most noise. It’s shit boxes that got their cat converters stolen lol.

Gman.45
06-01-2023, 10:15 AM
Agree re motorcycles. There is a 240 with an LS swap and a BRZ with a very obnoxious tune/exhaust all within rock throwing distance of our place in SK, yet the 1/2 dozen HD blap blap blap blap blap bikes are 2x as annoying.

Rage2, I remember years back, weren't you on the news being interviewed about your stock AMG MB getting popped in one of the sound revenue traps?

pheoxs
06-01-2023, 10:17 AM
For me it’s always the shit BMWs with crackle tunes and that I want to pour sand into their gas tanks.

rage2
06-01-2023, 12:38 PM
Rage2, I remember years back, weren't you on the news being interviewed about your stock AMG MB getting popped in one of the sound revenue traps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRG6vM3RJTw

Yea, they didn't take into consideration distance. My car isn't 102dB using the standard test that transport canada/US DOT uses to determine. It's 102db when I purposely drove right beside the measuring device if it's just a fucking microphone (which it was).

I love how the bylaw guy literally lied on camera. They cancelled this program the first time because it didn't take anything (distance, reflection) into consideration whatsoever. The guy that created the noise snare complained repeatedly that the city was using it wrong.

I'm not sure what they'll be doing going forward. Our bylaw still doesn't have distance in it at all. So plugging the measuring device right by the exhaust will fail any car. Edmonton's bylaw has distance, but it's much closer than the US DOT/Transport Canada tests, so 100% road legal cars can still fail. If I was to guess, these bylaws will continue to stand unless someone pursues a legal challenge on the laws being more aggressive than TC standards.

Xtrema
06-01-2023, 01:16 PM
FYI,

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/council-to-vote-on-new-1000-noisy-vehicle-fine-in-edmonton-this-week

Specific to motorcycles, anything louder than 92 decibels 50 centimetres from the exhaust pipe while idling, or louder than 96 db while in motion, is not allowed.

Distance is now included if we follow Edmonton's model.

Ultimately, Janz hopes the Alberta government changes photo radar laws to allow for automated enforcement of vehicle noise as well as speeding.

But ultimately, this is the end goal.

firebane
06-01-2023, 01:36 PM
FYI,

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/council-to-vote-on-new-1000-noisy-vehicle-fine-in-edmonton-this-week

But ultimately, this is the end goal.

And yet .. here is another issue. Not all bikes have a single exhaust and same thing with vehicles. So how should they handle that? Split the difference? Measure two and average? Both should be the same so it shouldn't matter.. but again.. defining how things are to be done needs clarity to not have "presumptions" made.

msommers
06-01-2023, 01:37 PM
How many vehicles are going to fail because their catalytics got stolen? If it's a shit box, and a new cat is worth more than the car, what is bylaw planning to do? Force some poor student to cough up thousands of dollars, otherwise get pinned with continual bylaw tickets?

Aren't some stock bikes loud as shit from the get go?

I get why this policy came to fruition but the implementation of it is moronic.

To some degree it shouldn't be an automated thing but case-by-case basis. Someone gets flagged, they get pulled over. If it's some doucher with a giant fart can on the back, go ahead and fine them. But it had better be obvious and the officer needs to be very familiar with vehicles to assess what looks stock and what obviously isn't.

rage2
06-01-2023, 10:07 PM
FYI,

Our bylaw doesn’t do that.

(vii) noise measured at 96 decibels (dBA) or more as measured by a sound pressure level meter at any point of reception;

While Edmonton has distance (shorter than federal tests) it also has the same issue of direction, in that you can measure whichever direction you want. Pointing straight into the path of the exhaust will yield higher numbers. The fed test procedure is here, and defines distance and location of measurement so you can’t game the measurement:

https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/migrated/1106_tm_aug_2005r_eng.pdf

Both needs to be defined for accuracy.