PDA

View Full Version : Car Prowling - Strathcona

syscal
07-08-2015, 01:08 AM
Do I put this here? Mods can move as they please.

Caught this tonight, just happened to catch movement out of the corner of my eye in the camera feed. Ran outside to meet the guy but he was halfway down the block already.

Moved the truck in view of the camera after.

yea yea, I need to register BlueIris...

VbQ3079QJNI

syscal
07-08-2015, 01:26 AM
huh...called non emergency police to report it and he told me to call 911 emergency right away next time

didn't think car prowlings were high on the list tbh

killramos
07-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by syscal
huh...called non emergency police to report it and he told me to call 911 emergency right away next time

didn't think car prowlings were high on the list tbh

Active crimes are always 911. You will be surprised how loose the term emergency is to them.

Non emerg is for civil disputes ( turn down your music etc.) or filing reports well after they happen.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/PSC/Pages/Non-emergency-calls.aspx

If you need to report a minor accident, stolen or damaged property where there is no suspect in the area, general noise complaints or another non-urgent criminal matters, call the police non-emergency number at 403-266-1234.

If there is a free cruiser in the area when you call a prowler in they will send him to investigate.

Canmorite
07-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Stupid thieves.

I had my car 'prowled' in Tuxedo. Stole my bluetooth device and an iphone charger. Forgot to lock the car :banghead:

ekguy
07-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Makes me wonder if I would have lost my bike tool kit i had in my car for weeks had i forgotten to lock my doors...im sure bankview has its share of car prowlers being so close to dt...

Friggin thieves...no lives.

Thaco
07-08-2015, 10:13 AM
yeah, it's really pathetic that slugs like this make it impossible to trust anybody these days... but in the vid he goes up the side before getting to the cars, do you have a side entrance on your garage? i bet he checked that door first if you do.

syscal
07-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
yeah, it's really pathetic that slugs like this make it impossible to trust anybody these days... but in the vid he goes up the side before getting to the cars, do you have a side entrance on your garage? i bet he checked that door first if you do.

I think he wanted it to look like he was coming from the house and not just walking from car to car, but we do have a side door so I wonder if he saw the motion lights on the neighbor's house and ducked out.

ColoDano
07-08-2015, 02:24 PM
My boss lives in Strathcona, and his next door neighbor caught a guy on their cam as well, but he had a backpack on at that point.

Saw the guy walk in from the left, try the passenger door on their car, then move on to the next house (my boss) to the right of the frame.

ToXicXxX
07-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Came down into my parkade and some sketchy fuck was eyeing cars at 3 in the morning. He asked me to let him out hahaha (you need a RFID card to get in).

OTown
07-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX
Came down into my parkade and some sketchy fuck was eyeing cars at 3 in the morning. He asked me to let him out hahaha (you need a RFID card to get in).

I hope you called the cops

Agent_Oorange
07-09-2015, 01:58 AM
I live pretty close to you syscal and someone rifled through my girlfriend's car (was accidentally left unlocked) on Monday night sometime. Didn't take anything (except a bottle of water) but everything was looked through and opened up. Surprised they left the tools in the back. I've got to re-arrange the cameras for a better view of the driveway.

D88
07-09-2015, 06:40 AM
This happened to me when I used to park on the street. I swear people must walk along and check all the car doors every night because the one time a gf left my passenger door unlocked (manual locks), I had someone take the faceplate from my head unit.

Dumbass17
07-10-2015, 07:29 PM
what do you guys suggest for a camera setup? I don't have a desktop, just a laptop that i have closed 90% of the time. would just give me a piece of mind to have an extra eye on it

The_Penguin
07-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
what do you guys suggest for a camera setup? I don't have a desktop, just a laptop that i have closed 90% of the time. would just give me a piece of mind to have an extra eye on it

If you can spare a desktop, Blue Iris software and a decent IP camera (or 2, they tend to multiply) work well.
I use Hikvision cameras direct from China for about $90.00

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/391765/surveillance-camera/

legendboy
07-10-2015, 08:04 PM
We have car prowlings every week in hidden valley. Thinking about a cam myself

Dumbass17
07-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

If you can spare a desktop, Blue Iris software and a decent IP camera (or 2, they tend to multiply) work well.
I use Hikvision cameras direct from China for about $90.00

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/391765/surveillance-camera/
I don't really need one besides for the camera. Is there another option that say records with motion or something?

speedog
07-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

I don't really need one besides for the camera. Is there another option that say records with motion or something?
Sure there's options, check out some of D-Link's wifi motion sensitive IP cameras - they'll capture stills/images/audio and automatically upload it to any web space you might have.

syscal
07-11-2015, 12:51 AM
You could just use an SD card in the camera. Hikvision has all the functionality you need built in for simple deployments.