PDA

View Full Version : Is there a wax that I can apply in direct sunlight?

ZMan2k2
07-08-2015, 05:19 PM
I don't have access to a garage to wax my truck. But I want to put a good layer on before my roadtrip. Is there anything that can be applied in direct sunlight, as I'm working on my driveway?

Cos
07-08-2015, 05:22 PM

ZMan2k2
07-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks. I would do it in the morning, as my house shades the driveway, but I may not finish in time, that's why I was wondering about direct sunlight. I'll give the Meguires' a shot. Appreciate it.

Cos
07-08-2015, 05:46 PM

ZMan2k2
07-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I do pieces though. I'll do 1/4 to 1/3 of the car at a time. I'll probably do 1/5 of my truck at a time. That may be helping it not sit too long either

Good idea. Maybe do the hood and fenders, then wipe it off, just to prevent any problems. I'll do it as well, when it cools down some, so not in the next few days. I've got a couple weeks, so I'll wait for a good day.

Hallowed_point
07-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Meguiars NXT 2.0 seems to be OK on a hot car based on my experiences. Purple bottle, easily found in Canadian Tire. Lasts a long time as well.

Mitsu3000gt
07-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Put on a good paint sealant rather than wax, especially if you're looking for protection during your road trip. You've got to be able to find some shade for an hour or two in 2 weeks time, even a parkade or a buddy's garage or something.

I put Auto Gylm Extra Gloss Protection on my GF's new Fit since she doesn't have covered parking, and it seemed like a great product after my research. A guy on another detailing forum tested a whole bunch of waxes and paint sealants by applying them in a grid on the side of his RV and then using it for several months. After, he checked which ones were still holding up and the Extra Gloss Protection was one of the very few still holding up just fine. You let it cure for 30 min or so on the car, and then buff it off. A good coat should last a really long time. I don't like wax because it wears off so fast.

HiSpec
07-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Poorboy's Natty wax can be applied under sunlight.

ZMan2k2
07-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks Mitsu. I was going to apply a layer of sealant first, then apply the wax. I have some Autoglym sealant, and bought the Meguires Ultra wax today. No doubt overkill, but I'm hoping to get rid of some swirl marks at the same time.

Neil4Speed
07-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
Autoglym sealant

I really like Autoglym products, let us know how it goes as I have never used their sealant.