PDA

View Full Version : Back Alley Oiling

Brent.ff
07-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Not sure if anyone else has had this experience, but I dunno what the city is doing with the back alleys in my neighbourhood. The amount of oil is insane, tracking all over the road, and into the garages. Found this, this morning, leading into a stormwater drain. I live a couple km away from the Bow and Fish creek. Oiling was done a couple days ago...

Brent.ff
07-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Photo

Brent.ff
07-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Apparently can't upload off my phone..

lilmira
07-10-2015, 08:12 AM
yeesh, the city will have a field day.

Brent.ff
07-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Alberta EAP was interested

firebane
07-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Wow that is bad :nut:

mazdavirgin
07-10-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure it's some form of tree sap based compound they put down in back alleys to keep the road way compacted/together during rain. It's fine for it to leech AFAIK.

88CRX
07-10-2015, 09:44 AM
City of Calgary fucking up lane repair? You don't say.

I've been fighting with them for over 2 years on my rear lane. City blames the area developer and everyone just points their fingers at each other. Not to mention they only repair it once per year in July or August.

Got fed up with it so I busted out the wheel barrel and used a bunch of gravel from the developers site office and fixed the lane myself.

HiTempguy1
07-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
I'm pretty sure it's some form of tree sap based compound they put down in back alleys to keep the road way compacted/together during rain. It's fine for it to leech AFAIK.

Yea, they do this on oilsands sites as well. The city is DEFINITELY NOT oiling back alleys!

Only problem is that it doesn't work very well.

Brent.ff
07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Good to know. I'll go see if its still there after work.

It sure works well at tracking into the garage..

civic_stylez
07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
And yet bylaw will give you a nice ticket for washing your car on the street....:rolleyes:

mazdavirgin
07-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
And yet bylaw will give you a nice ticket for washing your car on the street....:rolleyes:

And as they should. Soap should not be going down into the storm sewers. It messes up the river ecosystem. This stuff is not oil and like I said should be river/storm drain friendly.

civic_stylez
07-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

And as they should. Soap should not be going down into the storm sewers. It messes up the river ecosystem. This stuff is not oil and like I said should be river/storm drain friendly.

I agree completely. It just seems that the city is its own worst enemy some days (not in this case) but they let that slide and ticket civilians.

mazdavirgin
07-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
I agree completely. It just seems that the city is its own worst enemy some days (not in this case) but they let that slide and ticket civilians.

I'm not so sure about that... I mean legally if you are employee of the city and you do not report an infraction of the EA you are personally liable along with everyone else involved.

I recall when I worked at the city pools there being an accidental dump of ~500L of chlorinated pool water down the storm drain and that was a huge incident. We were investigated by the EA and the city was fined thousands of dollars. All because someone used the wrong drain.