PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Mazdaspeed6 with only 543kms

E46..sTyLez
07-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Would you consider this? I just sold my 550i and I'm looking to get into something much cheaper. I like turbo, I like AWD.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-mazdaspeed-6-almost-brand-new-000543km-asking-17700/1086288300?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Would this scare most of you off, too good to be true? Could there be a lot of negative impact on the condition of the mechanical parts from being stored for 8 years??

What questions would you have if you went to view it?

Thanks guys
Cheers

Masked Bandit
07-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Interesting find. I would be curious to know why he bought and stored that particular vehicle. Did he think it would appreciate in value or something?

NoPulp
07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
I'd be concerned about the mechanical parts. Vehicles need to be driven, it can harm many parts to just sit.

Personally I'd stay away.

diamondedge
07-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Stage 2 flash before being completely broken in? Guess this was broken in hard...

Sugarphreak
07-10-2015, 09:42 AM

E46..sTyLez
07-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Interesting find. I would be curious to know why he bought and stored that particular vehicle. Did he think it would appreciate in value or something?

That's kind of what I was thinking...what was the point? I suppose it is a limited model of sorts...but it certainly didn't pay off. I think it would be kinda cool to have a *brand* new, 2006 car...for 16-17 grand.

E46..sTyLez
07-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I'd be concerned about the mechanical parts. Vehicles need to be driven, it can harm many parts to just sit.

Personally I'd stay away.

This was my concern, I just don't have enough mechanical knowledge to know what to worry about.

lilmira
07-10-2015, 09:49 AM
I liked mine and I didn't have any problem on the engine in the 6yrs of ownership. I replaced a wheel bearing, some seals on the axles, wear and tear stuff. This is just weird, who stores that kind of cars for years? tuned no less.

Rocket1k78
07-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Very cool find but 8 years of storage cant be good unless done properly. I used to always see a dark grey one with black wheels that was slammed and it was a nice looking car for sure.

E46..sTyLez
07-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Do you guys think a mechanical inspection could uncover mechanical issues resulting from storage? Or would these be hidden issues inside the engine etc...

lilmira
07-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Now that I think about it. I'll spend some money to do a detail inspection on it. If everything works out, it's a pretty good deal IMO.

What's factory tuned stage2? There was only one stage factory tune.

revelations
07-10-2015, 10:09 AM
If I was after THAT particular make/model ... sure, Id have no issues with it. People buy shit they dont use all the time (some just are worth more than others).

If youre looking for a DD immediately, look elsewhere but if you have the tenacity to deal with the (likely) minor issues from improper storage, then go for it.

guessboi
07-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Wonder why he didn't drive it...tires probably need to be replaced.

BavarianBeast
07-10-2015, 10:12 AM
You'd think if he stored it for 8 years he would of at least put a cover on it haha.

Thaco
07-10-2015, 10:19 AM
could be a lot of reasons why it was stored... could be grandpa bought it and then had his license taken away and parked it, then kicked the bucket and difficult family took time sorting out possessions... i could think of a few scenarios why a vehicle could be abandoned like that for a while... don't really know unless you ask the guy.

sputnik
07-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Who does this?

revelations
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
Do you guys think a mechanical inspection could uncover mechanical issues resulting from storage? Or would these be hidden issues inside the engine etc...

Big/quick things off the top of my head:

- Gas tank might have to be dropped/drained and maybe fuel system cleaned out (change Fuel Filter etc.)
- Tires prob done.
- Battery

Other than that, it should be fine IF it was left turned off in storage (eg not idled once a month).

Get a (recent, if the sellers isnt) Canada-wide carproof, (which will look for liens) ... compression test engine (assuming its not drivable) through a mobile mechanic and its all yours!

g-m
07-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Oil seals I would think. Cam seals in particular might be all died out

D. Dub
07-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Sitting dry is way bad for engine/tranny seals. They dry up, harden and crack. I'd bet it will leak like a sieve.

lilmira
07-10-2015, 11:09 AM
negotiate a price and set a few thousands on the side?

NoPulp
07-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Unless you know 100% it was stored properly, I'd be worried about:

-entire fuel system
- anything rubber

The fluids likely have started to break down from sitting. Wouldn't internal corrosion be a concern too if it's been sitting for a long time without running? Cars just don't store terribly well. But like others have said, if it's what you're looking for as an enthusiast buy it. If you're looking for just a car, dont.

HiTempguy1
07-10-2015, 12:38 PM
I honestly think a lot of you guys are over thinking this. Its not 1980 anymore. Hell, I've pulled cars out of fields FROM the 80's that have sat for years and fired right up with a boost.

I'm actually tempted. That is crazy bang for buck right there.

NoPulp
07-10-2015, 12:49 PM
There's a big difference between starting/running vs running good and realibly. It's not a $500 80s car either.

I think the question is: is it worth more because it's been sitting? It's a lot of money for questionable condition.

HiTempguy1
07-10-2015, 12:53 PM
is it worth more because it's been sitting? It's a lot of money for questionable condition.

Considering the kind of maintenance (lake-thereof) 95% of owners do, absolutely it is worth more with 0kms than what would probably be well over 100k kms of driving.

But thats just me. I understand your concerns, I think they are seriously overblown. Gas doesn't even break down like it used to, and if a stabilizer was added...

My main concern would be if any seals had dried out. I sincerely doubt it though.

carson blocks
07-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Most seals are modern synthetics now and don't dry out from sitting nearly as bad as the old cork, rope, or natural rubber seals. That said, I'd want to check it out carefully and get a deal on it just in case. Remember to check everywhere (even intake, cowl, etc) for signs of mice etc. from improper storage and lack of use.

To get it running again, I'd drain the tank and fuel line, replace the fuel filter, fill with fresh fuel and maybe try to safely use the shrader valve on the rail and a chunk of hose to flush the fresh fuel in to the rail without blowing yourself up. Oil/filter change, new air filter, new battery, and go. First tank of gas would get a techron additive or sea foam. First oil change would last 500kms and do a flush, just to be safe. Check the tires for cracks or dry rot. Safest to replace them of course, but use your discretion.

Then, drive the shit out of it before it rusts away from underneath you because Mazda.

revelations
07-10-2015, 01:14 PM
There's a big difference between starting/running vs running good and realibly. It's not a $500 80s car either.

I think the question is: is it worth more because it's been sitting? It's a lot of money for questionable condition.

From my understanding, common, low mileage older vehicles depreciate nearly the same. The year seems to matter more than the mileage IMO. The fact that its nearly new (but not stored) maybe adds 1000$ to the price of a typical model of that year with typical mileage.

Maxx Mazda
07-10-2015, 01:21 PM
That colour combination with the white interior was fairly rare in 2006. It's a good find.

Rocket1k78
07-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Remember to check everywhere (even intake, cowl, etc) for signs of mice etc. from improper storage and lack of use.

Very good point. A brand new car would be equal to the playboy mansion for mice

zieg
07-10-2015, 02:00 PM
I wonder if he primed the oil system before the first start or did he just hop in and hit the key?

revelations
07-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
I wonder if he primed the oil system before the first start or did he just hop in and hit the key?

if it wasnt stored I'll bet it wasnt primed either :banghead:

zieg
07-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Exactly. That money would buy an STi of the same vintage, which would destroy a ms6 anyway..

carson blocks
07-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87

New distributorless engines aren't really easy to prime, best you can do without going to extreme trouble is disconnect the coil harness and injector harness(es) and crank it a bit so that at least the first few rotations without lubrication are not under power. I wouldn't stress much about it. I've pulled junkyard engines that have been sitting forever and not thought twice about their first startup. The only time I get excited about it is if it's a brand new engine that has never seen oil, and even then the assembly lube would probably get you through the first start.

mikestypes
07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
No such thing as a "factory stage 2 tune". If it was stored 8 years ago, there wouldn't be any way it could have been tuned as nothing existed to do that for the disi engines 8 years ago.

CanmoreOrLess
07-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Kijiji shut the original link down. Here is a new one, Google is so friendly:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-mazdaspeed-6-almost-brand-new-only-543km-asking-17700/1086510907

tehwegz
07-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Such a sweet car despite the negative things people say. If only it came as a wagon as well. And available in the color brown.

msixty
07-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks

New distributorless engines aren't really easy to prime, best you can do without going to extreme trouble is disconnect the coil harness and injector harness(es) and crank it a bit so that at least the first few rotations without lubrication are not under power. I wouldn't stress much about it. I've pulled junkyard engines that have been sitting forever and not thought twice about their first startup. The only time I get excited about it is if it's a brand new engine that has never seen oil, and even then the assembly lube would probably get you through the first start.

Just pull the fuel pump fuse...

M.alex
07-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm just surprised it hasn't rusted yet. Pretty much every single mazda I see has through rust in some of the weirdest places, like the trunk/hatch around the mazda emblem.

heavyD
07-14-2015, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
I'm just surprised it hasn't rusted yet. Pretty much every single mazda I see has through rust in some of the weirdest places, like the trunk/hatch around the mazda emblem.

How do you expect it to rust when it's sitting bone dry for years? It's not humid enough here to simply rust sitting inside. That said you are correct that these cars rust bad and that once driven in a few winters like most Mazda's the cancer will pop up in the wheel wells. That said who would purchase a new car to store it and never drive it seeing it's not even a collectable? Seems really strange but even with the low mileage the price is too high as the most they should expect is the high side of book value and those cars have notoriously poor reliability so who knows how this thing will be after sitting for all those years as it will need new fluids, tires, etc.

Shlade
07-14-2015, 01:24 PM
That's pretty freaking sweet! I'd check it out if I were in the market that's a pretty crazy find. Surprised it wasn't driven.

zipdoa
07-14-2015, 01:40 PM
In on this thread - hopefully someone finds out the story behind this find.

guessboi
07-14-2015, 02:00 PM
I still have my 06 NC and there is no rust with 38k on it. :rofl:

heavyD
07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Judging by the layer of dust on the car it appears to have sit for quite some time untouched. I hope they properly washed that dust off before using a wash mitt.

corsvette
07-14-2015, 02:43 PM
I have a 1980 Audi Turbo with 36,000 on it. Sat in climate controled underground parking for 31 years before being brought to life. The only seal that's shot are the turbo seals, everything else is good. Even the original goodyear tires are amazingly crack free. The hoses and belts all look good too. Been driving it on and off all summer without issues. I honestly don't trust it that much, being a 35 yr old Audi and all, but It shows how cars can sit in proper storage and keep in good shape.

I would not worry about that Mazda.

D. Dub
07-14-2015, 10:59 PM
^^^ are you driving on 30+ year old tires O_O

403Gemini
07-17-2015, 06:57 PM
My friend had one, it was a pretty big piece of shit. Constant issues with a weird knocking noise, would somehow eat any battery he put into it, leaked oil, felt sluggish to drive, interior was very bleh.

I'd avoid it

CanmoreOrLess
07-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
I have a 1980 Audi Turbo with 36,000 on it. Sat in climate controled underground parking for 31 years before being brought to life. The only seal that's shot are the turbo seals, everything else is good. Even the original goodyear tires are amazingly crack free. The hoses and belts all look good too. Been driving it on and off all summer without issues. I honestly don't trust it that much, being a 35 yr old Audi and all, but It shows how cars can sit in proper storage and keep in good shape.

I would not worry about that Mazda.

I'd fear those dangerous vintage tires more than the 1980 Audi and that's saying something. My friend had an early 80's Audi in the early 80's, he called it an Ouchie as it was always needing repairs off warrantee.

revelations
07-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
My friend had one, it was a pretty big piece of shit. Constant issues with a weird knocking noise, would somehow eat any battery he put into it, leaked oil, felt sluggish to drive, interior was very bleh.

I'd avoid it

:dunno: My brother bought one brand new - never an issue for 3 years.

Was your friends' vehicle new?

BerserkerCatSplat
07-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Sitting dry is way bad for engine/tranny seals. They dry up, harden and crack. I'd bet it will leak like a sieve.

Seals of all kinds sit dry in boxes on part store shelves for decades without going bad. Old-school cork seals had a habit of drying out but the modern synthetic stuff can sit pretty much forever.

heavyD
07-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by revelations

:dunno: My brother bought one brand new - never an issue for 3 years.

Was your friends' vehicle new?

I'm sure not every one built was a lemon but they did have a shoddy reliability history and like most Mazdas they don't age well.