PDA

View Full Version : Another: shopping for fun new or lightly used around 30k.

tehwegz
07-10-2015, 09:59 PM
With a twist: needs to be an automatic. Helping gf choose between new or very lightly used 25-35k.

MK7 GTI w/ dsg
FRS/BRZ with the "paddle shift" slush box (apparently same unit the IS-F used?) I've driven a few, it actually feels pretty close to a dct/dsg.
'15+ WRX w/ paddle cvt

She likes Mini Cooper, I know the old ones were piss poor in reliability. The current ones I've heard better of though. I'll do my OCD research, but appreciate other input or if there are any Mini experts on here. She kept her last car 8 years. Not liking how cost of ownership is like BMW, uses BMW parts, and the philosophy "why use 1 part when you can use 3". Plus changing water pump requires taking car apart entirely, and rebuilding it upside down.

She likes Ford ST twins just not their awful build quality. Exhibit A being my ST and its paint and panel fitment issues.

Trying to make her test drive the Abarth just for lols since the exhaust (designed by Ferrari) induces grinning from ear to ear. She what she has to say about that.

Needs fun and decently quick, but staying as much as possible conservative, humble, inconspicuous. SO yeah, I think GTI is the most likely candidate for that. On another token, she's looking at lightly used auto FRS/BRZ with <15k KM's since you can get those considerably less than 25k. Pretty spartan inside though, but she expressed not caring about that e.g. I told her she loses steering wheel audio controls, you sure? lol also not super fast but a step up from what she's coming from. There's also the Scion TC, new ones have pretty good stock sounding exhausts. Underrated cars for the money, I was pleasantly surprised when I drove a few.

J.M.
07-10-2015, 10:34 PM
4 doors is more convenient than 2 lol. FRS/BRZ you can find 2013's for $18k-$20k I think but usually manual tranny.

What about a 2012+ Acura TL? Buddy of mine just picked up a 2012 SH-AWD model. Loves it so far. His has the tech package (nav, backup cam, blindspot detector).

Redlined_8000
07-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

What about a 2012+ Acura TL? Buddy of mine just picked up a 2012 SH-AWD model. Loves it so far. His has the tech package (nav, backup cam, blindspot detector).

:werd: on that.

How about G37 coupe? Maybe not lightly used but still decent.

tehwegz
07-10-2015, 10:57 PM
She crossed out luxury brands. Latest greatest that isn't luxury car, how about that? lol

VW jetta GLI is another but kind of underwhelming when there's the GTI. No Beetle. Even the Golf TSI has quite a bite to it.

relyt92
07-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I may be biased, but even though she's crossed out luxury brands, I'll second the suggestion for a G37, you can get a 2013 G37X sedan for that price.

Aleks
07-10-2015, 11:15 PM
You said it needs to be auto so ST focus and fiesta are out. Out of the list you're considering GTI is by miles the best choice overall.

J.M.
07-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Try to get her to at least test drive a TL or G37, she may change her mind haha. Most of them fall into the price range too, but probably slightly more km. I was pretty impressed with the TL.

zieg
07-11-2015, 01:03 AM
A4 has a pretty decent slushbox. Wasn't a fan of the dsg in the gti with a stock tune, but man what a difference even an OTS tune makes.. Is this an all year round car? The WRX might be a pretty solid bet, especially if she's keeping it a while.

max_boost
07-11-2015, 04:28 PM
GTI easy choice.

lilmira
07-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Most girls I know like the gti. The new one is supposed to be quite an improvement over the last gen, can't go wrong.

tehwegz
07-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Not liking what we hear about VW dealerships here (edm). Plus reliability being hit or miss; either good or for the worst.

Might be best to stick to Japanese seeing as after warranty was up on her current Mazda (or alternatively, Ford) a few years ago she started neglecting things. Mazda took it like a champ. I just did a minor tune up to keep it from being unsafe so brake pads, oil, plugs, filters. Doubt VW's would be tolerant of that, plus their parts cost even down to euro oil, and I don't want to have to work on German bs. Oil change on her Mazda cost me $10, I stocked up on $5 gallon jugs of Valvoline on clearance at Walmart a year ago, plus a $5 Fram filter.

Seeing as these are performance cars, she knows that, and will be staying on top of everything. Her stuff, not my business micromanaging what she does or doesn't do to her cars except when it comes to safety, but it does make me feel the cars pain. lol

Anyways we test drove a 6spd '15 WRX yesterday and she's seems to be set on a WRX now. I was pretty impressed with it, but now glad I got my fully loaded Focus ST instead for 5 grand cheaper. But difference between WRX and the ST is resale. My Ford dropped 7k in value pretty much driving off the lot ('doh!) and the WRX loses like nothing the first year. Whatever, eventually both will plummet to nothing just a matter of how long it takes to get there. And I plan to keep the ST as my do-it-all car till I have to take a picture of it, as that will last longer.

FRS is still an option on the table.

And may go take a look at VW's anyway just out of curiosity.