PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic did work without asking - Opinions?

Viper55555
07-12-2015, 03:40 PM
I have been thinking about this over the weekend and still am not sure what I should do.

TL;DR: Went to get transmission checked. Quoted $2700 for rebuild. Find out more parts are needed. I say to just let me know how much the parts are going to cost in case its not worth it. Without telling me the shop bought and installed parts for a total of $3200.

Long version: I bought a used car last year for $1800. It was bought to just be a second car, non daily, toy. I was driving around early last week when the transmission started making a noise. I then lost over-drive followed by the rest of the gears. I got parked and thought about getting it fixed.

Originally I was just going to scrap the car as it served me over the past year. But I was convinced by others to have it looked at in case it was an easy/not expensive fix. (I didn't expect it to be cheap)

I asked around and took it to (name withheld) for them to take a look. Immediately I'm told its the pump. They will have to take the transmission(RWD auto) out to fix the pump and see if there is any other damage or if a rebuild is also necessary. I tell them that is fine, just let me know what is going on. A day later they tell me the case has been chewed up and will need to be replaced. This on top of a rebuild and the pump. No new quote yet because he has to price out the new(used) case.

A couple days go by when I get a phone call Friday afternoon. The mechanic tells me its going to be $3200 for the new case, rebuild and pump fix. I tell him I am not sure if it is worth that to fix the car. I confirm that if I tell him to go ahead he will: Buy a good empty used case, remove the good parts from my trans, rebuild what is needed and fix the pump. He says yes. I ask him if he doesn't buy the case and do any more work, how much do I owe him at this point. He tells me $700.

I tell him to stop all work so I can think about my options. At this point I am thinking of paying him the $700, getting him to throw what ever I bought for my $700(that isn't labor) in the back seat, and I will tow it away and sell it as a shell/scrap. I ask if it is ok if I take the weekend to think about it and he tells me that's fine.

The shop is on my way home so I stop by to check over the car. The mechanic has already left for the weekend so I am dealing with someone else who happened to hear the phone call from 30 minutes ago. I ask if I can check over my car as I can see it in the shop on a hoist. At first they say no but then let me take a look. (I want to see if this car is going to suck any more money out of me soon) I walk under the car and see that there is a transmission already/still in the car. I am a bit puzzled but continue looking over the rest of the car. All of a sudden the person from the front counter comes back and hands me a phone saying its the mechanic and they would like to talk to me.

The mechanic tells me that he thought I would say yes to the repairs and so the transmission that I see in the car is the used case with my fixed pump and a rebuild kit in it. The car is ready to roll out of the shop. Since he is already out of the shop we decide to wait until Monday to sort this all out.

The options that I see are:
1. Pay the $3200 and hate myself for spending that on my "toy" car.
2. Tell him I will only pay the original $2700 that was quoted. Still not sure that the car is worth it.
3. Try and pay the $700 and he can remove the transmission.
4. Ask him to buy the car from me. Even if its only for a dollar. I don't care.
5. Walk away and let him just keep it.

Beyonds thoughts?

Monday resolution:
I sold the car to the mechanic for $1.

Sentry
07-12-2015, 03:48 PM
1 What pieces of paper have you signed?
2 What was written on what you've signed?

If the work order was only for diagnosis, and that's what you signed, that's all they were authorized to do. They are allowed to charge up to 100 dollars above what's authorized, but above that they need to contact you and get your authorization.

FraserB
07-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you got a brand new transmission for free. I'd stick to what was originally authorized and pay him that, in this case it would be the $700. Be ready to involve the police and AMVIC when he tries to hold your car for payment or lien it.

Viper55555
07-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Zero paper work was signed. This was a good "trusted" shop recommendation from a friend.

J.M.
07-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I fail to see how you should be paying the $3200 since you told them to stop all the work to figure out what you wanted to do.

If the car doesn't mean anything to you and you were going to scrap it anyways, I'd just sign over the bill of sale to them haha

zieg
07-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Sell it to them for the market value (as it sits now, with the good trans) minus $700. If they don't want to do that, tell them you've already done all the paperwork because you thought they would say yes to it.

M.alex
07-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Viper55555
Zero paper work was signed. This was a good "trusted" shop recommendation from a friend.

I too am curious what happens in this situation when there's no paper work? Is the mechanic SOL or does that mean the customer has given that a blank cheque? :dunno:

redblack
07-12-2015, 08:32 PM
They would probly hold the car until you paid the bill

GQBalla
07-12-2015, 08:40 PM
You didn't agree to any work. So you only pay for the work you both agreed on. He admitted it himself

CompletelyNumb
07-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Never had a mechanic do that to me. Sounds shady. Or stupid. Either way, pay $700 and drive it out of there.

Kloubek
07-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Isn't a mechanic able to put a lien on a vehicle under such a circumstance? (Where they want to get payment for work they had done)

Not saying doing so would ever hold up in court. I imagine without any written authorization they have little to back themselves up. But still....

JRSC00LUDE
07-13-2015, 07:25 AM
If you have represented everything truthfully and accurately, you're a fool to pay. Have you?

killramos
07-13-2015, 07:33 AM
If i was you i would stop communicating with your mechanic except in writing because this is inevitably going to go bad. If what OP is saying is 100% true he will screw himself in the correspondence by writing things like "i thought you were going to want it"

Registered letter with a check to him for what was agreed upon. If he cashes it get confirmation from the bank.

Don't let him take your 2,000 dollar car over 700 bucks either.

If he thinks the parts are worth the labour let him put your transmission back the way it was or you keep the rebuilt transmission. Not your fault he doesn't listen to instructions.

Sounds like you might need a day in court over this one.

ExtraSlow
07-13-2015, 07:42 AM
This is a shitty situation, and it's made even worse by the fact that the mechanic appears to have been acting in good faith with your best interests at heart.

I don't know how it works, but he may be able to hold your vehicle as part of a "mechanics lien" until you pay him too.

I'd go chat with him, lay out your concerns, and ask him how he suggests you proceed.

Rocket1k78
07-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Absolutely you would be a fool to pay for the tranny when you never agreed. You paid 1800 for the car so why would you dump another 3k into it.

Hallowed_point
07-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Transmission shops are the biggest ripoff in Calgary for auto repair based on my horrible experience. I ended up being quoted $1800 to put my fucked standard trans back in as is. OR pay $3500 to have a rebuilt trans and new clutch installed. Absolutely gouging the hell out of people.

Dertz
07-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Remind him that he assumed you would and that assumption is the mother of all fucks ups, i.e. the one his assumption just gave birth to that in no way shape or form had your help.
You said no, stop, he just ignored it and figured you wanted it anyways :D

sounds like rape.

In all seriousness, it seems like any further discussions should be recorded to back track what is being discussed and offered and agreed on.
At first, I would ask why they would assume I would want the work done if I had seemed like I wasn't sure and asked to think it over for the weekend. Need to hear them out and as that will give you a better idea of what type person your dealing with.

mr2mike
07-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Yeah when bills are going to get up there, you gotta be in communication with your client.

Can't assume... ever.

Joe-G
07-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Whats the car>?

npham
07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
What's the shop? I would like to know who to avoid(even if it is an honest mistake).

FraserB
07-13-2015, 05:40 PM
What was the resolution?

FixedGear
07-13-2015, 06:03 PM
unless you got a bangin' deal on the car and paid far less than it's worth, this guy screwed you. No trustworthy mechanic should recommend spending more to fix a car than the car is worth - ESPECIALLY when they didn't have permission to fix it in the first place.

Viper55555
07-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I edited the original post to add that I sold the car to the mechanic for $1.

After talking to the mechanic, it seems that it was an honest mistake and that he was looking out for my best interest for the purpose I had in mind for the car. I think that not signing anything from the beginning, hurt us both in the end. Its a lesson to learn for everyone involved. I wont be naming the shop as I have no hard feelings and it looks like the work done was done right. I also didn't want to call AMVIC or try and write up a bill of sale to screw him.

In the end it was the best choice to not have him try and put a lien on my car, then have me try and have it removed. Again with no paper work to support either of us. Or to pay $700 and still have a car with no working transmission, as he would remove the fixed trans. He did offer to lower the invoice price but not by enough for me to justify the cost still.

Whats the car?
Does it matter? It was a front engine, RWD with a 4 speed auto.

FixedGear
07-13-2015, 09:17 PM
^i think he was just asking to get a sense of the value

revelations
07-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I edited the original post to add that I sold the car to the mechanic for $1.

After talking to the mechanic, it seems that it was an honest mistake and that he was looking out for my best interest for the purpose I had in mind for the car. I think that not signing anything from the beginning, hurt us both in the end. Its a lesson to learn for everyone involved. I wont be naming the shop as I have no hard feelings and it looks like the work done was done right. I also didn't want to call AMVIC or try and write up a bill of sale to screw him.

In the end it was the best choice to not have him try and put a lien on my car, then have me try and have it removed. Again with no paper work to support either of us. Or to pay $700 and still have a car with no working transmission, as he would remove the fixed trans. He did offer to lower the invoice price but not by enough for me to justify the cost still.

Good call.

btimbit
07-14-2015, 02:55 PM
That's not a bad result

SR54RNR
07-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Does it matter? It was a front engine, RWD with a 4 speed auto.

Could have typed the make and model in less characters.. Why not just say what it is? ...chevette? ...pinto? ...mustang II?

Cos
07-15-2015, 07:18 AM

JRSC00LUDE
07-15-2015, 07:39 AM
Who cares what kind of car, the situation is resolved. :dunno:

HiTempguy1
07-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
That's not a bad result

Unless the car was worth nothing, its an awful result!

Oh the day I have so much money that I just throw $1k away because fighting for it would be hard :banghead:

JustinMCS
07-15-2015, 08:41 AM
People care what kind of car it was because this is a car enthusiasts forum and people are just curious.

syscal
07-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Man, 10 years ago the same result would have made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that I did something good for the little guy.

Then I woke up and realized I'm the little guy.

Throwing personal money away because a business made a mistake is a terrible resolution.

rx7boi
07-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Well...at least you got a year out of it so the $1800 didn't go to a complete waste.

With the trans gone, you wouldn't be able to recoupe a whole lot just selling the parts and scraps left over anyway, right? It's still time on your end to find a buyer, etc.

IMO he wasn't looking out for your best interests. A verbal agreement over the phone should be honored just like any other if you're a respectable person and/or business. He's there to serve you and your decisions, not make them for you.

In the end, both of you got to cut your losses.

killramos
07-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by syscal
Man, 10 years ago the same result would have made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that I did something good for the little guy.

Then I woke up and realized I'm the little guy.

Throwing personal money away because a business made a mistake is a terrible resolution.

This 100%

and as for 1,800 dollars to drive a busted beater for a year?

You can get similar depreciation and cost of ownership on a much nicer car...

btimbit
07-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Unless the car was worth nothing, its an awful result!

Oh the day I have so much money that I just throw $1k away because fighting for it would be hard :banghead:

Better result than paying the repair bill

HiTempguy1
07-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Better result than paying the repair bill

Legally speaking, I think we've found out/made it pretty clear in this thread that he was not liable for the repair bill. OP simply didn't want to go through the hassle/work of fighting for his money. Which is my point, I don't care who you are or how much money you have, it is astonishing that from what I can tell he probably threw $1k out the window.

Different strokes for different folks. :dunno:

syscal
07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
It's still time on your end to find a buyer, etc.

I hear this "time is money" justification all the time. Drives me nuts because it makes it sound like you're actually SAVING money by SPENDING money.

Calculate how long it would take to make $1000+ after tax, figure out how much time you're spending away from your money-making activities while working on the problem and then decide if it's not worth the time. Otherwise it's just SPENDING $1000 to save yourself some hassle.

revelations
07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
The way I see it:

OP lost 200-300$ for potentially selling the car as scrap/shell had he never taken the car to the mechanic.

Not worth the effort to deal with the shop for that amount.

Mista Bob
07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Crown Vic?
I hope not, cause over a year ago I sold mine for 1800. . . . :nut:

Viper55555
07-15-2015, 10:23 PM
I didn't think this thread would keep going, but here we are.

JRSC00LUDE has the right idea. For anyone who really needs to know though, COS guessed right. Don't worry Mista Bob, its wasn't your Vic.

HiTempguy1: The car was worth nothing without a transmission. Remember I bought it for $1800. And no, I wasn't legally responsible for the repair of the transmission @ $3200. But I should/could have been responsible for paying $700 for the shops time to take apart the transmission to find the problem. So I don't see it as throwing $1000 out the window. I see it as saving $700.

syscal: I know I am the "little guy". But there is no way that spending any money on that car would save me money down the road.

killramos: I got to drive the hell out of it for a year and enjoyed it. I have a nicer car that would have depreciated more then $1800 if I had done the same kind of things to it as this car.

rx7boi: I only typed the business related information in my original post. I discussed with the mechanic what my plans were for the car when I dropped it off.(as long as budget didn't go out the window) The mechanic was only trying to keep those interests in mind.(I think) I cut my loss of $1800 the second I bought the car last year.

revelations has it 100% correct. I should have gone with my gut from the beginning and got my $150 from Pick & Pull(or maybe a tiny bit more, I checked for prices but only briefly) as soon as the transmission stopped working. My time off work to tow the car almost covers that money alone.

To everyone else: The transmission wasn't the cars only problem anyway. I had a chance to own a toy car that I have wanted for a while now. I had my fun and it was great. I'm going to miss it but not enough to put myself into the poor house by trying to fix it to be too perfect to play with.

"Vicky"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/JH5D1954-1_zpsm2l8kpnt.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/viper55555/media/JH5D1954-1_zpsm2l8kpnt.jpg.html)

ExtraSlow
07-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Nice. I'm a big fan of owning a beater car, and the crown vic is an excellent choice in that segment. I ran an old town car for a couple of years for the same purpose.

I think you are looking at this exactly right, you paid your money, had your fun, and now you move on. No hassle, no stress, no small claims court or other bullshit.

rx7boi
07-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by syscal

I hear this "time is money" justification all the time. Drives me nuts because it makes it sound like you're actually SAVING money by SPENDING money.

Calculate how long it would take to make $1000+ after tax, figure out how much time you're spending away from your money-making activities while working on the problem and then decide if it's not worth the time. Otherwise it's just SPENDING $1000 to save yourself some hassle.

No, you're completely right, but you can't just pick a part of my quote and pretend that I'm trying to say that he's saving money by throwing away money. He's not saving any, but he's also not digging himself in further either. That's what I mean when I say he is cutting his losses.

You have to look at the context of why it's worth it and how people value their time differently.

Fact is, he bought the car for $1800 last year, drove it, and it broke down. He's already in the hole for $700 just from the mechanical work + misc parts already bought/done. Basically, if he decides to take the car back in a non-driveable condition, he's still out $700 for no good reason for a $1800 car he bought. In other words, the car has now cost him $2500 and he still can't drive it.

At this point, like OP said, he can tow it and sell it for scrap. How much money do you think he will realistically get? That's an open ended question and you have to factor in that maybe OP doesn't give a shit about sifting through Kijiji lowballers and opening his schedule up for metal scraps in his garage.

Even if he sells all the parts/scraps for $700, he breaks even from the mechanical bill. That's after he spends god knows how much time haggling with prospective buyers. Doing all this brings his total cost back down to $1800 - the original purchase price of the car.

Or, he can just sell the car for $1, and wash his hands clean, in which case he still brings his total cost of the car back down to $1800 - what he bought it for.

Whatever happened with the shop is done so you just have to roll with the punches.

If he had never gone into the mechanic to begin with, how much do you think he could have really gotten for scrap anyway? Several hundred bucks?