PDA

View Full Version : Does the shape or wood of a Box really make a diff in the THUMP and sound of the subs

peanut
03-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Does the shape or size of a box really make a big difference?? What about a long Tube box (it has two small vent sections with padding, instr. says not to block those holes, it will sound better?) wtf? but the square boxes don't have vents in the back??

is it better to split up the subs for it's own little box or have one big box.. I rather have two little ones for room cormfort..

Ok, don't laugh but i'm new to this and experimenting with my spare winter 4x4 first so it's not top grade stuff, not worth it for a spare car. My sports car will be nothing but top grade.. Right now i have a cheezy Roadmaster 600 watt 12 inch sub with a tube box.. $50 bucks!! wtf!!! Shit, a roadmaster 12 inch square box only is like $37 dollars!! It feels so nice against my back on the chair with that thump!!

I want to sell that and get a 15inch 1000 watt amp.. i forgot which brand but it was a generic one i believe... I should sell my tube sub and get this one right? Is generic shit really sucky compare to the good shit.. by what percent?? I have a audiobahn sub and it's a beautiful piece of poohtang!! but that was a $100.00 man!! i didn't try it out yet.. my bud haven't built my box for it yet..

NV_JSmith
03-11-2004, 06:54 PM
if there are more than one sub in a compartment subs may be damaged quicker, and if one is damaged otheres are garunteed to follow. seperate comparments for subs are better than one compartment and more than one sub.

SAiamNE
03-11-2004, 07:05 PM
What about the thickness of a box?
Say 1" thick box VS a 1/2" thick box??

soupey
03-11-2004, 07:25 PM
the thickness will only help if ur system is strong enough to warp the box as it pounds...basically u want the least bending of the wood when ur sub is pounding, usually 3/4" mdf is good enough for most subs....its not relli the material of hte box that makes the dif, unless its shitty material...but as long as its 3/4" mdf equivalent or better material, you wont have problems...matching the box wit specs from ur sub will giv u the thump u want...the shape and volume is wut matters most.

ghosts-10
03-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Ok, thats alot of questions...
First, avoid a perfectly square box (ie12x12x12). This will create standing waves and your output will not be as great.
Size does matter!! The smaller the box the higher the frequency output and the harder the bass. This will also help control the motion of the sub and allow you to apply more power.
If you go with a larger box, your frequency output will be lower and the sub wont be able to handle as much power.
You can use 1/2 mdf if space is a issue, but you need to brace the hell out of it. If you use 3/4 mdf, you should brace it as well if you have a panel longer then 18 inches or running a high power system.
Any time you are joining wood, use a good quality wood glue as well as screws or brad nails. If you use screws, pre drill pilot holes so that you don't split the wood.
The difference between a ported box and sealed is output. I could go into detail about both but in a nut shell, Vented has a slight outout advantage but is harder to make. Sealed is easy to make and offers a bit better sound quality.
When building the box seal the seams with silicon to avoid any leaks.
Before you put your sub in, use a sound deadning (sp?) material like pillow stuffing. Never use fiberglass insulation. The insulation acts like sand paper in the voice coil. If you run a ported box tiny particals willl blow out the port and you will breath that crap in.

tt398
03-13-2004, 08:43 PM
The size and shape of the enclosure are quite crtical to the overall response and performance of your subwoofer. You really need to do do some research on the types of subwoofer enclosures and how they work. Suggest you visit this site as a starting point:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org

If you have any questions send me a PM.

EnRich
03-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by tt398
The size and shape of the enclosure are quite crtical to the overall response and performance of your subwoofer. You really need to do do some research on the types of subwoofer enclosures and how they work. Suggest you visit this site as a starting point:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org

If you have any questions send me a PM.

This guys hit the nail on the head... I had a custom fibre glass/wood box put into my car... Its designed to take up minimum room but sound really loud... The box was designed according to spec, however I blew/wreaked 3 differant Xtant 12" top of the line subs because the box was too small... I ended up having to foam the box to trick the sub into thinking the box was bigger then it seamed... Small box = less loudness I find... I dunno, this is personal experiance.... I had the box designed at AudioConcepts and they were just awesome with everything, including replacing each of the subs... I've had the box for bout a year now, no probs....

Rich

tt398
03-14-2004, 02:06 PM
There seem to be a LOT of posts that deal with the construction of speaker enclosures both for atomotive and home use. maybe we could start a Special Interest Group (SIG) and forum category for this purpose.

We could share design tips, construction ideas, and instructions on how to use speaker box design software.

:burnout: :D :burnout: :angel:

EarthWake_Audio
03-14-2004, 02:48 PM
i second that motion