PDA

View Full Version : Healthy food options

BMDUBS
07-14-2015, 10:12 PM
I works job where I am out in a vehicle all day 10-12 hours a day so I find I am eating out a lot. For all you guys that are eating meals out all day, what are some healthier choices?

I know making breakfast, lunches and dinner at home is the best option but barring that any suggestions of what and where to get healthier options would be great

FixedGear
07-14-2015, 10:19 PM
I thought everyone knew that Subway was the healthiest. :dunno:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/897405/original.jpg

Dumbass17
07-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Are you on the road or near stores? Coop has a really great salad bar that I go to once or twice a week. I also make salads everyday for lunch myself. I am in a truck 8-10hrs a day on site.

Matty_10
07-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Mcdicks has some pretty decent salads, dont really know how healthy it actually is:dunno:

jaeden
07-14-2015, 11:52 PM
I eat this stuff for lunch about every day: http://www.eatsmart.net/product/sweet-kale-vegetable-salad-kit/

You could buy one of the smaller bags of those every day if you want, they sell them at most grocery stores. They come with too much dressing though.

I work 12 hour days and its hard to bring enough food. I was off today so I threw together meals for the next few days. Lately I've been loading up on smaller but more frequent meals. Usually I will have a bunch of fruit and veggies (for tomorrow I have an apple, banana, grapes, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 cucumber). Toss in a couple small yogurts too.

Dinner I usually have a boiled egg, cheese with crackers, and then some mixed nuts and raisins. It doesn't sound like enough food but it keeps me going.

Starbucks sells a similar thing but its pretty expensive: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/bistro-boxes/protein

Dertz
07-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Matty_10
Mcdicks has some pretty decent salads, dont really know how healthy it actually is:dunno:

Originally posted by jaeden
I eat this stuff for lunch about every day: http://www.eatsmart.net/product/sweet-kale-vegetable-salad-kit/

You could buy one of the smaller bags of those every day if you want, they sell them at most grocery stores. They come with too much dressing though.

I work 12 hour days and its hard to bring enough food. I was off today so I threw together meals for the next few days. Lately I've been loading up on smaller but more frequent meals. Usually I will have a bunch of fruit and veggies (for tomorrow I have an apple, banana, grapes, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 cucumber). Toss in a couple small yogurts too.

Dinner I usually have a boiled egg, cheese with crackers, and then some mixed nuts and raisins. It doesn't sound like enough food but it keeps me going.

Starbucks sells a similar thing but its pretty expensive: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/bistro-boxes/protein

The mcdicks salads are good and I think are a fine choice if you don't use the dressing or lightly use it.

Yeah it takes a bit to get over what your body really needs amd what you think you need for food.

timdog
07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Are you on the road or near stores? Coop has a really great salad bar that I go to once or twice a week. I also make salads everyday for lunch myself. I am in a truck 8-10hrs a day on site.

this. most Coops and Safeways have pretty good salad bars. complete with chicken breast and hard boiled egg, and all the fixings. you could also pick up some of those rotisserie chickens, cut it up and bring it to work to add to your salads and stuff. cheaper than paying for the weight of the chicken breast from the salad bar each time. plus better chicken.

Lanks
07-15-2015, 04:56 PM
The coop salad bars are by container size not weight so you can take as much meat/eggs/bacon as you can fit in there!

A790
07-15-2015, 05:16 PM
As mentioned, grocery stores are good.

Can't do that? Near a fast food place? Get a burger with two patties, no cheese. Toss half the bun. Skip the fries, get a salad. Skip the pop, get water.

Subway, have them hollow out the bread, 6" sandwich with double meat. Avoid tuna. Avoid excessive sauces.

When you have no choice but to eat fast, portion control is your best friend. Unhealthy foods in small portions won't kill you, and as long as you consume less than your TDEE, you won't gain any weight either.

Some basic rules:

- Avoid bread, pasta, rice as much as possible.
- The more vegetables, the better.
- Fibre is good.
- Water is good.
- Water, fibre, and vegetables in the same meal is better.

Tips & Tricks:

- A double quarter pounder w/ no sauce and no cheese is the most macro-friendly item at McDonalds, especially after you throw away half the bun.
- Pita Pit, Extreme Pita, etc. are good options and way better than burger/pizza/etc.
- You are never far from a grocery store, go there.

BMDUBS
07-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys good info in here...

Dumbass17
07-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Lanks
The coop salad bars are by container size not weight so you can take as much meat/eggs/bacon as you can fit in there!
Yup. Sometimes my "salads" turn more into protein rich meat/egg snacks haha

pheoxs
07-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Buy a heated lunch box (Not sure what its called, plug it into cigarette lighter and it'll warm your lunch up for you), opens up a lot of better options when at site (hot soup on a damp cold day mmm)

Neil4Speed
07-16-2015, 09:55 AM
My General tip that I find is to watch the ratios of Protein to Calories. 1:12 would be pretty close to as good as you can get, 1:20 is a good spot to aim at though.

Watch for Salt obviously, and try to get a good serving of vegetables in as well.

A790
07-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
My General tip that I find is to watch the ratios of Protein to Calories. 1:12 would be pretty close to as good as you can get, 1:20 is a good spot to aim at though.

Watch for Salt obviously, and try to get a good serving of vegetables in as well.
This is really good advice. A quick scan of the nutrition label should give you what you need.

If something is 100 calories and 8.5g/protein or more, it's a solid meal from a macronutritional perspective.