PDA

View Full Version : LF: bobcat operator for a quick job

interlude
07-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Hey Guys,

I just built a garage, and my alley is a mess (even worse than before). With the City not regrading until October and possibly not doing fuck all (same as every year). I decided to use up a pile of dirt I have left over and get a load of gravel to fix the alley.

I am looking for a quick cash job for an operator to come, move the dirt thats on the edge of the alley. Spread out the dirt, then get a load of gravel/crushed gravel spread evenly on top of the alley.

Any recommendations? Was thinking about renting a mini bobcat from Home Depot if I cant find anybody. Just now sure how good of a job I will do :D

Thanks all

jacky4566
07-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Forum Sponsor is Gold Rush Landscaping. Maybe give them a call?

SOAB
07-15-2015, 10:48 AM
I think you'd have a tough time finding a legit guy to do work on city property without the proper authority to do so.

interlude
07-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
I think you'd have a tough time finding a legit guy to do work on city property without the proper authority to do so.

True, if I can't find somebody I will do it myself.

The state of my alley is ridiculous, I think I accumulate more mud on my truck than a day out in Waiporous or Mclean. The city did fuck all last year during the "city lane repair" and 311 ticket. When I opened a 311 ticket this year, they closed it and said it will be addressed during the repairs in October :rolleyes:

So I decided to fix it, so at least all the ruts/mud holes will be gone.

quick_scar
07-15-2015, 11:08 AM
I am at about the same point as you are with the back alley. I know I won't find someone with a bobcat to help on city property but will probably head out there with a shovel sometime and do what I can. For me its having to ride over them on the motorcycle that is a pain. When wet the tires just slide around in the mud. Would prefer a bit more grip.

Just be careful. Any of your neighbors have an issue with the repair and decide to report you, you could be looking at trouble.

btimbit
07-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Just throw on a high visibility vest and people will assume you're doing it in some official capacity.

How big is the alley though? You'll need a lot more material than you think you will, every time. Even if you're just spreading out existing material then the same issue will happen without some sort of compaction. If they're fixing it later this year I'd jut put up with it for the time being, or like you said run out with a shovel and spend an hour trimming it up a bit. Anything more than that seems like a waste to me.

Lanes like this are such a joke though. It would take 3 passes with a grader and the lane would be great for a year. Yet they let them get to the point that they're impassive by bikes and low vehicles before they plan on doing something.

mo_money2supe
07-15-2015, 12:24 PM
I'd be cautious in using up the extra "dirt" in your yard since it's likely just loam/topsoil material. If you place that down below the gravel (whether you do it yourself or can find an under-the-table skidsteer operator), it'll settle in little to no time, even if you compact it before the gravel. You're better off filling the entire hole with gravel instead (albeit costlier) - at least gravel is mostly self compacting and doesn't settle.

ExtraSlow
07-15-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't know what's going on, but the city has been running a grader down my alley every couple of months this year. That thing is in amazing shape. Previous years, they usually did nothing.

interlude
07-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I'm not too concerned about the neighbor behind me. He actually moved ALOT of gravel that was in his backyard (he just moved in last year). He mentioned that he wouldn't mind getting rid of that gravel, and for us to use it in the alley.

Found someone and will be quoting me today. Will update you guys.

PM me if you know someone, or if you are interested in doing this for me.

CanmoreOrLess
07-15-2015, 03:32 PM
I just call the city and a week or two later a grader is rolling through the alley. It's been this way for the last three years. Your second call is to your alderman if the city does not fill the order. I've no idea who my alderman is, never needed to make the call. I'd not hesitate for a second to do it though. That's what they exist.

interlude
07-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I just call the city and a week or two later a grader is rolling through the alley. It's been this way for the last three years. Your second call is to your alderman if the city does not fill the order. I've no idea who my alderman is, never needed to make the call. I'd not hesitate for a second to do it though. That's what they exist.

Good to know.

My community isn't scheduled for city lane repair till October. I don't know if I can wait that long. I constantly have to pressure wash, or sweep all the mud in my garage.

Last year, I saw the grader drive through and did fuck all when it actually needed repair