PDA

View Full Version : Golf Course - Beginner Friendly For Spouse

Env-Consultant
07-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Just wondering if anyone can recommend some good golf courses in/near Calgary that cater more to beginners than regular full courses. I golf relatively frequently, but my spouse does not golf much and she just picked it up in the last few years. We played a few of the par 3 city courses together last year and she gets her swing back pretty quickly. Hoping to find some good par 3/4 or short-ish full courses that allow you to play at a non-rushed pace, won't make you pair up with 2 randoms, etc. Just trying to make things more enjoyable for her and provide her with a relatively comfortable practice/learning environment.

Thx

Edit: Have all of next week off following my wedding this weekend - golf time. Finally going to enjoy this city on a staycation... followed by a 2 week vacation :drool:

killramos
07-16-2015, 06:57 AM
I am not sure you will find any courses in and around Calgary that will not enforce some kind of pace of play or pair you up as a twosome. Public, private or otherwise. The sport is in to high of demand.

If you venture away from the city you might have some luck.

As for a beginner course the Richmond Green par 3 is fun for beginners?

Aside from that i don't know any "intermediate" courses between par 3 and full.

SOAB
07-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Douglasdale is a nice course with mostly par 3 and 4 holes. I'm sure if you went mid-morning on a weekday, it would be just fine.

if you know you're slow, just let people play through if you see them waiting behind you too often.

C_Dave45
07-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Buffalo Run is a good beginners course. Especially if you go midweek it won't be busy. I will book for a "3sum" and then tell them "our 3rd is running late...just send him out when he gets here". Then you won't get paired with another double. Can't do this on the higher end 18's though. They ask for credit card and charge for all 3.

calgarygts
07-16-2015, 08:08 AM
I just went to Richmond Green last weekend with the gf - it was her first round in 15 years and only her second round ever. Perfect course for that, the longest hole from the women's tee is around 150 yards, wide open and they have two flags on each green: one regular and one with a huge cup for beginners. She now loves golf which was the plan (make it easy and they'll like it).

dirtsniffer
07-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Buffalo Run is a good beginners course. Especially if you go midweek it won't be busy. I will book for a "3sum" and then tell them "our 3rd is running late...just send him out when he gets here". Then you won't get paired with another double. Can't do this on the higher end 18's though. They ask for credit card and charge for all 3.

the run has closed for ring road construction :D

Laveview and shaganappi are both more difficult beginner courses.

As for not playing with other people are dicking around I can't help.

98type_r
07-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Try Apple Creek north of Airdrie, it's an 18 hole course with NO sand traps and it's generally not very busy.

npham
07-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Try Apple Creek north of Airdrie, it's an 18 hole course with NO sand traps and it's generally not very busy.

Except that Apple Creek is still extremely hard for average golfers. For a beginner, that course would make them quit golf.

Stick to the City of Calgary courses(Richmond, Lakeview, Confederation) and you should be fine. At Richmond, it's so quiet that if you get paired with someone, you can tell them to go ahead and go as a twosome behind them instead.

Cos
07-16-2015, 10:42 AM

vengie
07-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by npham

Except that Apple Creek is still extremely hard for average golfers. For a beginner, that course would make them quit golf.

Stick to the City of Calgary courses(Richmond, Lakeview, Confederation) and you should be fine. At Richmond, it's so quiet that if you get paired with someone, you can tell them to go ahead and go as a twosome behind them instead.

Very much agreed! I am a 10-12 handicap on most courses and Apple Creek tore me apart, every green is a blind approach. I quickly learned a lay up shot and chip was the best way to approach it.

Douglasdale is a pretty decent little course, but is smoking busy on evenings/ weekends.

Confederation Park is a decent little course as well.

bjstare
07-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by killramos
I am not sure you will find any courses in and around Calgary that will not enforce some kind of pace of play or pair you up as a twosome. Public, private or otherwise. The sport is in to high of demand.

I know it doesn't really apply to OP, but I've never - not once - in the last two and a half seasons, been enforced by or even seen a marshall while golfing at Pinebrook. Say hi to the starter, and don't see any staff except at the halfway house and clubhouse.

@OP, +1 for Confederation for an easy-ish short beginner friendly course. I haven't been there in ages, but I always remember the pace of play being super slow, which is great if you're a beginner. You probably will get stuck with another pair though.

killramos
07-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

I know it doesn't really apply to OP, but I've never - not once - in the last two and a half seasons, been enforced by or even seen a marshall while golfing at Pinebrook. Say hi to the starter, and don't see any staff except at the halfway house and clubhouse.

@OP, +1 for Confederation for an easy-ish short beginner friendly course. I haven't been there in ages, but I always remember the pace of play being super slow, which is great if you're a beginner. You probably will get stuck with another pair though.

lol i have even seen people harassed on a par 3 at Shag for not teeing of while people were putting.

180 yard or something and the Marshall was like " oh so you think you can hit that far?" after which he went to hide in the bushes to watch :nut:

I was harassed at Glencoe for being 5 minutes over after 9 holes on their forest course as well a couple weeks ago. Didn't matter that we were right on the people in front of us he wanted us to be literally waiting on them.

Fuck this sport basically.

bjstare
07-16-2015, 11:30 AM
^You're just golfing at the wrong places. :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
07-16-2015, 11:31 AM
I took the GF to Lakeview, it's basically 9 straight lines with no water hazards (perfect for me as well haha). Dirt cheap too.

Maple Ridge is similar too, but the mosquitoes can be brutal in the evenings.

vengie
07-16-2015, 11:32 AM

lol i have even seen people harassed on a par 3 at Shag for not teeing of while people were putting.

180 yard or something and the Marshall was like " oh so you think you can hit that far?" after which he went to hide in the bushes to watch :nut:

I was harassed at Glencoe for being 5 minutes over after 9 holes on their forest course as well a couple weeks ago. Didn't matter that we were right on the people in front of us he wanted us to be literally waiting on them.

Fuck this sport basically.

Course Marshals, Cabbies... I am starting to see a trend here.

I have been harassed by a marshal once, we had a quick chat and he didn't bother us for the rest of our game, in fact he waved and drove by. Had another pleasant chat after the round as well, turns out he was a scratch golfer at 71 years old :eek:

Datsun-Fever
07-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Its all about timing in my opinion. Do an early or late 18 at Mccall Lake and chances are you wont have to rush, Or be stuck with another pair.

Cos
07-16-2015, 11:48 AM

colinxx235
07-16-2015, 11:59 AM
As mentioned Douglas dale is an easy track.

Heatherglen is also quite forgiving and never busy during the weeks.

Chestermere is a pretty easy one also to give a try. not too busy during the week.

As for booking a 3 and cancelling, can't say I agree or appreciate that tactic. The game is traditionally played with a group of 4 ,no one should be entitled to go out as a two some. And what if other nice couples are looking to play golf and can't because people all over the board are doing the same trick. Doubt that you would appreciate being on the losing end.

sabad66
07-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Like others have mentioned, def try out Richmond Green and Lakeview. They are made for beginners. Shag Valley 9 is also pretty good for beginners and good pace.

Confed is a nice 9 but IMO a bit too challenging for a beginner. There are some long par 5s that she will just be too frustrated with if she cant hit far.

killramos
07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by vengie

Course Marshals, Cabbies... I am starting to see a trend here.

And what trend is that exactly?

JaffX
07-16-2015, 02:56 PM
You can always try to book for the very last tee time. There's no one behind you and you can take as long as you want. I've done this with one of my friends when we were starting out, there was rarely any other people that joined our tee time.

bjstare
07-16-2015, 03:38 PM

And what trend is that exactly?

I think he's saying sometimes if everyone else is the problem... you're actually the problem.

:rofl:

killramos
07-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I think he's saying sometimes if everyone else is the problem... you're actually the problem.

:rofl:

Haha well i guess his two pieces of evidence that everyone else is the problem in my life is a pretty damning conclusion :rolleyes:

:drama:

vengie
07-16-2015, 04:46 PM

Haha well i guess his two pieces of evidence that everyone else is the problem in my life is a pretty damning conclusion :rolleyes:

:drama:

Just an outside observation from someone who does not know you.

I know in my own life, when I used to carry myself as an arrogant, cocky douchebag, I had negative experiences as well. BUT I grew up, changed my ways and strive to add value to people (whether it's a genuine conversation, a smile, holding the door etc...) I started to have nothing but extremely positive experiences with people. People are easy, you show respect and it is very quickly reciprocated.

Anyways, back on topic. Pm me if you would like to continue a conversation.

flipstah
07-16-2015, 05:32 PM
City courses are beginner friendly. McCall 9 used to be great.

Lakeview are full of electric poles. Mindfuck and hum galore lol.

Pick earliest or latest tee times. No one bothers you and in the late ones, they don't care.