PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have Telus 100 for internet?

Pages : [1] 2

Hero_X
07-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Looking for opinion on Telus's 100 mbps plan.

I'm currently with shaw but I'm not gonna be sticking with them if/when they increase the prices in august.

So Telus is the option I'm looking at. Do you currently use telus internet? how is it?

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Mitsu3000gt
07-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Curious about this as well because a friend of mine is looking to switch to Telus for a 6 month promo and for better TV channel selection (apparently). Are you guys actually getting 100 Mbps sustained at all times of day?

pheoxs
07-16-2015, 09:28 AM
I have Telus 50 and love it. Pretty much rock solid any time of day, I don't have any slow down in the evening / during peak times like I did with Shaw/TekSavvy.

In the 8 months I had it there was one outage about ~1.5hours due to some data centre issue that affected a larger area, otherwise I've never had any downtime/problems.

Edit: I get 50+ (Usually 55) anytime I've tested regardless time of day

CompletelyNumb
07-16-2015, 09:32 AM
I have telus 100. With my netgear router my WiFi speed is consistently 96mnps. Upload varies, generally around 25

jacky4566
07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
You have to remember too that DSL is a dedicated line vs Cable which is a shared connection. There is always problems with local neighbourhood distribution but generally DSL should offer the same speed consistently. While Cable used to offer 4x the speed but you would have to deal with congestion.

Because of this traditionally Cable is supposed to be faster and cheaper however nowadays its all a wash. Get Telus FTTH if you can.

Hero_X
07-16-2015, 09:53 AM
they mention on telus's website 70-100 mbps. Do you guys get constant 100 or does it dip low?

benyl
07-16-2015, 09:59 AM
See my sig.

pheoxs
07-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Speaking of which, remembered my 6 month promo ends this month, called back and they extended it another 6 months. Glad I don't have to switch back to Shaw (our neighborhood node is so oversaturated with them)

Mitsu3000gt
07-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Not talking about speed tests - do you get *actual* sustained 100 Mbps/12.5 MB/s download, downloading a file (eg on newsgroups), at all times of day? I'm asking because their literature says it can drop to 70 Mbps, which is a significant drop equaling more than some people's total speeds haha.

Telus' upload has always been better than Shaw though, I must say.

benyl
07-16-2015, 10:39 AM
There is no way to tell if it is your connection or the source system that is causing the slow down.

I can say that when I download Xbox games or other massive files, I get full speed during peak times.

Mitsu3000gt
07-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I think with newsgroups, which can so easily max out your connection, it's a pretty safe bet that if it's slow, it's the provider. No way to know 100% of the time though I guess.

pheoxs
07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Not talking about speed tests - do you get *actual* sustained 100 Mbps/12.5 MB/s download, downloading a file (eg on newsgroups), at all times of day? I'm asking because their literature says it can drop to 70 Mbps, which is a significant drop equaling more than some people's total speeds haha.

Telus' upload has always been better than Shaw though, I must say.

I get 6MB/s (50mbit plan) on steam no problem.

My news groups I only pay for 10mbit connections as I use multiple providers to cover takedowns so I max out what I'm alloted no problem. Though sometimes it pulls from all 3 simultaneously and I'll hit ~4MB/s so it doesn't appear to ever be a limitation on my end.

Hero_X
07-16-2015, 11:49 AM
What is telus's customer service / technical support like?

Are they responsive? I know shaw is usually quick to help out and fix problems but not sure about telus.

diamondedge
07-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X

Are they responsive? I know shaw is usually quick to help out and fix problems but not sure about telus.

In my experience, yes. Very responsive and the tech's that I speak to are Canadians somewhere in Quebec. (At least at the times that I call.)

They are pretty good. I called to move my services, I was put on hold for a bit but they waived my transfer fee and gave me a free movie for the wait. My parents have been w/ Telus for 13 years, and I can count the outages I can remember on 1 hand.

JustinMCS
07-16-2015, 12:09 PM
I have Telus 100. I have two phone lines bonded together (50 max per line).

I have fibre in my area but we are waiting for the building to get it hooked up

One of my lines has degraded from the building parkade to my unit, so I get about 85ish constantly. Downloading is fast. Optik TV is great. Pricing compared to shaw is great.

RickDaTuner
07-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I just moved into new place, and it came with a years free tv and internet. I took the option to upgrade to 100, and was pleasantly surprised when I went down to my utility room and noticed an in house fibre drop.

So far the Service has been OK. Hit and miss on wait times, and I did get dropped a few times while on hold. I tried the option to leave your number and have them call you back, but they never did.

Optik TV is nothing to rave about, the packages are again ok, the full meal deal internet, tv and phone can reach above $200/month, just like shaw.
The quality of HD TV is more inline with DVD quality, although I am on a Wireless TV Box, because the developer placed the jacks right beside the main door no where near the living room, and tv....
Over the Air HDTV spoiled me in terms of HD quality, but its nice to have the extra content now. I do find myself switching back to rabbit ear TV to watch some shows..

VOD seems to have higher bitrate aswell.

speedtest.net confirms that Im hitting 96 mbps through wireless G, torrenting has only netted me 3.5 Mb/s so far. I have yet to try the speed through CAT5 yet.
Netflix does start instantly in HD though which is nice. gaming doesn't make any difference what so every because, most PS games only need 1MB per minute of data usage.

So far I can't really complain for a technically free service.

Seth1968
07-16-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by diamondedge

In my experience, yes. Very responsive and the tech's that I speak to are Canadians somewhere in Quebec. (At least at the times that I call.)

They are pretty good. I called to move my services, I was put on hold for a bit but they waived my transfer fee and gave me a free movie for the wait. My parents have been w/ Telus for 13 years, and I can count the outages I can remember on 1 hand.

Same type of experiences here.

I've had Telus high speed for about as long as my dwindling mind can remember. Customer service has always been very good to great, and the only outage I've ever had was due to work they were doing in the area. With that, they called and emailed me in advance. The outage was supposed to be for about 2 hours, but only lasted an hour.

I wouldn't even use a shared connection, unless I absolutely had to.

blubs
07-16-2015, 01:04 PM
If you are currently with shaw with the old 100 plan you are better off leaving it as is. They have ensured me that they will not change any of the pricing and you do actually get 120 Mbps.

Hero_X
07-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by blubs
If you are currently with shaw with the old 100 plan you are better off leaving it as is. They have ensured me that they will not change any of the pricing and you do actually get 120 Mbps.

That may be true but I'm also disconnecting cable cuz i barely use it, and its cheaper option to goto telus for home phone + internet, than with shaw. At least for what i'm looking for.

benyl
07-16-2015, 01:34 PM

The battery on the battery backup for my modem went bad. They came the next day to replace it.

jonsey737
07-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by benyl

The battery on the battery backup for my modem went bad. They came the next day to replace it.

I've been with Telus fibre for 3 years too, no problems. When my battery died they offered to send a tech or just ship me the new battery which I opted for. The battery came the next day :thumbsup:

rx7boi
07-16-2015, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't mind giving TELUS 100 a try.

I'm paying $90/month for Broadband 60 right now since my 6 month promo ended several months back.

I don't need 100Mbps but for the same price, why the hell not.

Time to give Shaw a call and see if they'll do anything for me.

Xaroxantu Zero
07-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Speaking of which, remembered my 6 month promo ends this month, called back and they extended it another 6 months. Glad I don't have to switch back to Shaw (our neighborhood node is so oversaturated with them)

What exactly did you say to them? Did you have to threaten to cancel or anything?

Hero_X
07-16-2015, 02:22 PM
How do you know if you're getting Telus Fibre or telus normal internet?

Is there a difference?

The rep at telus said that 100 mbps is available at my house so I signed up for that...but Not sure if it's fibre or not.

eblend
07-16-2015, 03:01 PM
How do you know if you're getting Telus Fibre or telus normal internet?

Is there a difference?

The rep at telus said that 100 mbps is available at my house so I signed up for that...but Not sure if it's fibre or not.

Like 99.9% sure that's fiber. I think the fastest VDSL they have is like 50mbps over two phone lines.

pheoxs
07-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero

What exactly did you say to them? Did you have to threaten to cancel or anything?

Just that my promo was expiring, that I'd like to keep my service there but Shaw is currently offering new customers 45$ for 6 months of 60mbps. Got transferred to another department (assuming retentions) talked to him for a bit and said the same thing. He said he could extend my current promo for another 6 months (I'm not on a contract so I can leave whenever)

Originally posted by eblend

Like 99.9% sure that's fiber. I think the fastest VDSL they have is like 50mbps over two phone lines.

They can do 50mbps per line now. 2 bonded lines (if 2 are available) = 100mbps

blubs
07-16-2015, 04:49 PM
100 mbps is worth it if you actually have things set up... Honestly with how good some of the downloaders have gotten lately I see no reason to have cable what so ever, I cancelled it years ago, got myself a newsgroup subscription and haven't looked back.

Sonarr + Couchpotato + Plex = More movies and shows then one could ever watch.

I had Telus before this, and they were just brutal for overages. Like I'm talking I went over by 2GB and they called me.

Shaw seems to be much more forgiving in this manner, and their loyalty line seems to be willing to do anything to keep the business. I burned out a router a few weeks back... Had a new one delivered in hours. Only thing you have to watch is the copyright notices if you use torrents, they are starting to crack down on it. Again get yourself into a newsgroup and never worry again.

rx7boi
07-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Lol...just got off the phone with Shaw.

Told them that Telus offers Internet 100 for basically the same price as Shaw's BB60.

Shaw gave me BB60 for $70/month for a full year. I tried to haggle a bit and ask for $55/month since that's what Telus' promo is (for 6 months only) but they wouldn't budge.

I accepted but in retrospect, I am positive I could have gotten more out of them like the next couple months for free.

schocker
07-16-2015, 07:54 PM
^^Did you just call retentions?
I need to give them a call with the august increase coming.

ZMan2k2
07-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Just got off the phone with Shaw myself. Didn't call anyone special, but they did transfer me, to I assume retentions. I have the $60 TV package with Family and Sports 1 for $80, Internet 15, and full home phone. They gave me $6 off the phone for 6 months, and $15 off the total bill for 2 years, for a total of $21. I did play a little hardball, saying I have the Telus package picked out and ready, all I have to do is click "Order", and thats what I got. FYI.

rx7boi
07-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by schocker
^^Did you just call retentions?
I need to give them a call with the august increase coming.

Hey, no I had to go through the CSR line. I think the retentions department keeps their direct line hush hush otherwise no one would ever go through Tier 1 support.

It was about a 5-10 minute wait into the CSR queue and then another 5 while they transferred me to the retention department.

You'll have to explain to them why you're calling and they'll give you their scripted spiel about why you shouldn't be asking for a discount, TELUS' overage charges, etc, etc.

Update: I just got off the phone with retentions a 2nd time. They won't budge on the $70/month. I laid out the math for them. If I stay with Shaw's "offer" it's $840 for a year of service. If I go with TELUS, it's promo (55*6) + reg (93*6) for $888 before installation fees, which they are normally willing to waive for new business.

For $48 more over the course of a year, I can jump from BB60 to BB100, not to mention that for the first 6 months it's only $55 and I can cancel whenever I want.

I tried to get them to throw in other stuff besides the $70/month like the next couple months free, but they wouldn't have any of it.

Seriously thinking about ditching Shaw and switching to Telus 100. They might be willing to change their tune if I actually initiate the cancellation process.

jonsey737
07-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by blubs
100 mbps is worth it if you actually have things set up... Honestly with how good some of the downloaders have gotten lately I see no reason to have cable what so ever, I cancelled it years ago, got myself a newsgroup subscription and haven't looked back.

Sonarr + Couchpotato + Plex = More movies and shows then one could ever watch.

I had Telus before this, and they were just brutal for overages. Like I'm talking I went over by 2GB and they called me.

Shaw seems to be much more forgiving in this manner, and their loyalty line seems to be willing to do anything to keep the business. I burned out a router a few weeks back... Had a new one delivered in hours. Only thing you have to watch is the copyright notices if you use torrents, they are starting to crack down on it. Again get yourself into a newsgroup and never worry again.

I keep going over by a couple hundred GBs and no call yet... or additional charges... but it sounds like they are changing this now, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Edit: they've finally put the following notice on my last bill
"Starting on your next bill, TELUS will begin to apply the
additional usage charges indicated in your rate plan for
data usage over your plan’s monthly allowance. Visit
telus.com/internetusage to learn about how to manage
your usage and find the right plan for you."

Time to give em a call.

eblend
07-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jonsey737

I keep going over by a couple hundred GBs and no call yet... or additional charges... but it sounds like they are changing this now, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Edit: they've finally put the following notice on my last bill
"Starting on your next bill, TELUS will begin to apply the
additional usage charges indicated in your rate plan for
data usage over your plan’s monthly allowance. Visit
telus.com/internetusage to learn about how to manage
your usage and find the right plan for you."

Time to give em a call.

Pay $15 more and it's unlimited from Telus, or just go through their buckets, first 50gb over is $5...next 50gb is $10 and so on. Really unless you are constantly going over it isn't really a concern.

jonsey737
07-17-2015, 12:35 AM

Pay $15 more and it's unlimited from Telus, or just go through their buckets, first 50gb over is $5...next 50gb is $10 and so on. Really unless you are constantly going over it isn't really a concern.

They want $30 because I'm internet only which pisses me off, I think I've been 137GB over once, so that's $25 right there...

If I do end up paying the $30 I'm going to make sure that thing is downloading something 24/7.

blubs
07-17-2015, 07:23 AM
The overages were biggest reason why I left Telus. that and when I told them I am cancelling my TV they basically racked up the rates on everything else.

With Shaw I've gone over like 300GB before (was at home for weeks straight after knee surgery) and they didn't say absolutely anything to me. No charges, no calls emails nothing. They told me that there is a very small percentage of users that actually use their full bandwidth, so unless its like super consistent overage they say it will average out between users. :dunno:

Not like I work for shaw or anything, but whomever you are with just make sure you call loyalty and complain once and a while. Its amazing what it can do.

Mitsu3000gt
07-17-2015, 08:46 AM
I've had overages as much as double my allowance with Shaw before, and they didn't say anything to me or charge me any more. I like knowing I don't have to pay attention to their "limits".

As for their retentions department, I'm sure they have got smarter over the years. They can't just be offering anyone who calls them a mind blowing deal, but for sure they should at least be matching (or slightly beating) Telus. The grey area is if there is actually better service, no overage fees, etc. as that is worth something but people just look at the price. I bet at least half the people who call them and threaten to switch to Telus don't end up doing so, I'm sure they track that statistic.

ZMan2k2
07-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I've had overages as much as double my allowance with Shaw before, and they didn't say anything to me or charge me any more. I like knowing I don't have to pay attention to their "limits".

As for their retentions department, I'm sure they have got smarter over the years. They can't just be offering anyone who calls them a mind blowing deal, but for sure they should at least be matching (or slightly beating) Telus. The grey area is if there is actually better service, no overage fees, etc. as that is worth something but people just look at the price. I bet at least half the people who call them and threaten to switch to Telus don't end up doing so, I'm sure they track that statistic.

I actually started the switch process a year ago, and Shaw contacted me, to try to keep me. The only difference in what they offered me now, and what they offered me then is the unlimited CAN/US Long distance, and 1 movie a month. I don't call long distance much more than 10 min. a month, and we always forgot about the movies, and only used 3-4 of them. So I'm happy with what I got, and I think it's on my file that I have tried to switch to Telus, and will if the deal is good enough.

schocker
07-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I priced out the telus stuff last night and it would be cheaper with slightly less crappy TV but 100 MB internet. I will have to give shaw loyalty a call.

rx7boi
07-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I priced out the telus stuff last night and it would be cheaper with slightly less crappy TV but 100 MB internet. I will have to give shaw loyalty a call.

Yup, just don't let them bullshit you with rebuttal tactics like "TELUS is gonna charge you for bandwidth overage" and make you feel like you're on eggshells.

BB100 gives you an extra 50GB for a total of 500GB, and you can see your Shaw usage history to see how often you go over anyway.

Just remember to be nice about it :rofl:

jonsey737
07-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Just called telus and got transferred to loyalty/retentions. I ended up getting 12 months unlimited data for free, I didn't push for any discounts but at least I don't need to worry about overages charges for a bit. I really didn't want to switch to shaw because my Telus internet has been rock solid (pay for 50 and I get 71/17 at all times), when I with shaw it would really suck in the evening.

rx7boi
07-17-2015, 03:34 PM
On what conditions were they willing to give you discounts? Have you been a longtime customer or you were thinking about going to Shaw for the introductory promo?

locust
07-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I've been on Telus 100 for about a year.
For the most part it's been good.
There technical tier 3 support guys are good. Tier 1/2 may not be as useful.
I ran into a double nat issue they were able to trouble shoot and resolve.

Speeds very consistent with my usenet running most of the day with an actual of about 12.5-12.89mbs

J.M.
07-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Wow I need to call Shaw. Paying $73.xx for Internet 25 lol no home phone or cable.

rx7boi
07-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Wow....that is brutal man.

Call them for sure LOL.

Hero_X
07-20-2015, 04:46 PM
So I am signed up for Telus and they're coming to install in few days.

Shaw called me and offered me this:

60 mbps internet and phone for 60$ for 6 months, then 110$/ month for 6 months, then 130$/month there after.

Plus, a new AC wifi modem.

What do you guys think? Is this a good enough deal to stick with shaw?

I've been with shaw for 10 years and have leverage with them for that reason. If/when i join telus, i will have no leverage on telus so if i don't like the service then i'm back to square one lol.

benyl
07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
You can get TELUS 100 for $93. How is shaw a better deal?

SportEL
07-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Make sure you have a Dual Band Router. The Box Telus provides is only 2.4GHz and I was getting only 36Mbps. After connecting my Dual band AC router I am averaging 97Mbps.

speedog
07-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by SportEL
Make sure you have a Dual Band Router. The Box Telus provides is only 2.4GHz and I was getting only 36Mbps. After connecting my Dual band AC router I am averaging 97Mbps.
Better check your sources, our fiber fed TELUS box does both 2.4 & 5Ghz WiFi.

CompletelyNumb
07-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Got an invite to a private tracker from a beyonder....my downloads have been 5+ MBps.

So far the telus 100 has been great. Using my netgear ac1900 router. Telus router on bridge.

SportEL
07-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Interesting. I don't know why it's faster on my external router than when connected with the Telus one then. In addition, my installer said the box is only 2.4GHz

CompletelyNumb
07-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Interesting. I don't know why it's faster on my external router than when connected with the Telus one then. In addition, my installer said the box is only 2.4GHz

On Telus 50, the telus router gave me 30 mbps wifi. Hooked up my netgear and got almost 50.

speedog
07-20-2015, 11:05 PM
On our TELUS 50, my S3 manages 20 on the 2.4Ghz. My son's S5 does 52 on the 5Ghz channel. All TELUS equipment.

SportEL
07-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Got an invite to a private tracker from a beyonder....my downloads have been 5+ MBps.

So far the telus 100 has been great. Using my netgear ac1900 router. Telus router on bridge.

How did you set the Telus router to bridge mode? Do you have the Actiontec 1200h?

On our TELUS 50, my S3 manages 20 on the 2.4Ghz. My son's S5 does 52 on the 5Ghz channel. All TELUS equipment.

They must have installed the Wi-fi extender or booster? to get the dual band. Do you have a picture of it? I didn't get that installed.

pheoxs
07-21-2015, 07:51 AM

How did you set the Telus router to bridge mode? Do you have the Actiontec 1200h?

They must have installed the Wi-fi extender or booster? to get the dual band. Do you have a picture of it? I didn't get that installed.

Nope my Actiontec has dual band by default. The Wi-fi extender included in the 50/100 packages just mirrors the wi-fi signal to extend the range. It doesn't add an additional frequency band.

A2VR6
07-21-2015, 08:20 AM

http://static.telus.com/common/cms/files/internet/telus_t2200h_user_manual.pdf page 49 - thats how i bridged mine.

avishal26
07-21-2015, 11:10 AM

The Telus install guy told me their box is only 2.4GHz - this was 6 weeks ago.

However, I do get my 25Mbps - but sometimes it gets really slow (I'm told due to potential interference)

CompletelyNumb
07-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Bridge mode is available as an admin function on the new routers. Not root.

Hero_X
07-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Can we bridge the modem ourselves or do we have to call telus to do it? I know with shaw, shaw had to do it.

yellowsnow
07-21-2015, 02:02 PM
you can bridge it yourself as long as you have the newer router.

SportEL
07-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Which model do you guys have that is Dual band? I have 1200H. Can you guys go into your router and check?

What is the purpose of bridge mode actually? Currently, I have 3 SSIDs I can access. The single one from Telus and the two SSIDs from my dual band Asus router. For some reason, I think my configuration setting is messed up so that I can't get Plex working to stream to Chromecast. It won't stream to my TV, and keeps saying This Media is Currently unavailable.

schocker
07-21-2015, 08:12 PM
I called shaw and bitched for a bit and now I have BB60 (speedtested and I now get 70) and $80 off for 6 months :rofl:

J.M.
07-21-2015, 08:19 PM
I called shaw and bitched for a bit and now I have BB60 (speedtested and I now get 70) and $80 off for 6 months :rofl:

What did you say? I plan on calling them either tonight or tomorrow morning haha

CompletelyNumb
07-21-2015, 08:57 PM

What is the purpose of bridge mode actually?

Eliminate dual nat errors. It basically ports the raw internet connection to your other router with first running it through its own dhcp.

Currently, I have 3 SSIDs I can access. The single one from Telus and the two SSIDs from my dual band Asus router. For some reason, I think my configuration setting is messed up so that I can't get Plex working to stream to Chromecast. It won't stream to my TV, and keeps saying This Media is Currently unavailable.

They all have to be on the same SSID

pheoxs
07-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Which model do you guys have that is Dual band? I have 1200H. Can you guys go into your router and check?

What is the purpose of bridge mode actually? Currently, I have 3 SSIDs I can access. The single one from Telus and the two SSIDs from my dual band Asus router. For some reason, I think my configuration setting is messed up so that I can't get Plex working to stream to Chromecast. It won't stream to my TV, and keeps saying This Media is Currently unavailable.

Switch your Telus modem to bridge mode and eliminate that network from the loop, everything should be connecting to your Asus router and it should work fine.

I have my chromecast on 2.4ghz whereas my phone connects on the 5ghz band and can stream to it just fine. Also 2.4 and 5 should be different SSID names (not what the person above said) otherwise your devices will have issues connecting as both networks shouldnt have the same name.

Have you had the chromecast working before? Or is it new? Perhaps it isn't setup correct / isn't connected to the right network?

speedog
07-21-2015, 09:36 PM

We've got a T1200H that offers up both the 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz wifi bands (extender does both as well) and as pheoxs said, they'll have different SSID's. Our T1200H can also do bridge mode - I just don't have any reason to do such.

turbotrip
07-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Why should the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks have different SSIDs? Will the device not just pickup the stronger one automatically or will they interfere with each other on the same name?

A2VR6
07-22-2015, 06:14 AM

We've got a T1200H that offers up both the 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz wifi bands (extender does both as well) and as pheoxs said, they'll have different SSID's. Our T1200H can also do bridge mode - I just don't have any reason to do such.

Interesting, I never thought my T1200H could do this... mine currently just broadcasts 2.4 Ghz.

Why should the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks have different SSIDs? Will the device not just pickup the stronger one automatically or will they interfere with each other on the same name?

I believe they will interfere with each other (not entirely sure to be honest). In my case it makes it advantageous to name them differently since the tenants in the basement get the 2.4 Ghz and my personal devises use the 5Ghz networks. Works pretty well and everyones happy since we dont have a bunch of devices running on one network.

CompletelyNumb
07-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Pheox, I was talking about the devices, not the networks. I had a similar error. Connection them to the same network fixed it. Doesn't mean its the cause, but it worked for me.

And I'll try the Chromecast again. But my laptop had troubles casting when it was on the 5ghz band.

pheoxs
07-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Pheox, I was talking about the devices, not the networks. I had a similar error. Connection them to the same network fixed it. Doesn't mean its the cause, but it worked for me.

And I'll try the Chromecast again. But my laptop had troubles casting when it was on the 5ghz band.

Ahh my mistake, I read it as all the networks needed to be the same SSID and got confused.

Try upgrading the firmware on your router. I had a similar issue with my AC66U router and my plex server. Basically it couldn't cross properly from one subnetwork to the other properly when I had port forwarding configured a certain way (possibly what you may be experiencing?) so for some stupid reason it was pushing the traffic across the WAN / my modem and racking up my internet usage.

Probably not the same thing but its worth a shot for the couple minute it takes to upgrade the router

Hero_X
07-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Okay so I got the install today....

wired into the modem i get speeds of 104 mbps

wireless i get 20 mbps.

I put modem in bridge mode and put in my router, and at most i get 56 mbps....

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the wireless speed better when modem in bridge mode?

:banghead: :banghead: Fck, when I had shaw I was getting 94 mbps wirelessly, but now barely pulling 56.

I called telus and they just told me to hardwire or to not use my router...even though my router is giving better speed than their modem.

pheoxs
07-23-2015, 10:16 PM

wireless i get 20 mbps.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the wireless speed better when modem in bridge mode?

:banghead: :banghead: Fck, when I had shaw I was getting 94 mbps wirelessly, but now barely pulling 56.

I called telus and they just told me to hardwire or to not use my router...even though my router is giving better speed than their modem.

Are you on 2.4 or 5ghz bands? Try the other, sometimes (particularly the 2.4) can get saturated (cordless phones / other peoples routers / other wirelss devices / etc)

Also when you're connected open the wireless network connection status and what is the signal quality / strength. If you're farther away from your router and less than 5 bars it will auto drop connection speeds. (i.e. close up it may show 144mbps while further away it shows 52mbps)

Assuming its a multi-antenna router do you have the antennas pointed properly? They should all be right angles to each other (i.e. one straight up, one straight sideways) and make sure they're tight, when I moved my router one came loose

Lastly, is this with the same computer you're testing? My laptop doesn't get as good of speeds in the speedtest.net app, it seems like the ads lag it or something, so my laptop always reads slower than my desktop (even when both hardwired)

Hero_X
07-24-2015, 08:17 AM
I'm on 5 ghz band, signal strength is about 4/5 bars, the antennas have been changed to your recommendations, and i'm testing with my desktop..

After all this, I'm still pulling only about 54 mbps.

This is crazy cuz when/if you wire into the modem then i can pull like 104 mbps (on laptop), but when i test my desktop (wirelessly) i'm only pulling 54 mbps.

It's the same desktop and router I had when i had shaw, and this same desktop used to pull 94 mbps wirelessly.

:banghead:

pheoxs
07-24-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm on 5 ghz band, signal strength is about 4/5 bars, the antennas have been changed to your recommendations, and i'm testing with my desktop..

After all this, I'm still pulling only about 54 mbps.

This is crazy cuz when/if you wire into the modem then i can pull like 104 mbps (on laptop), but when i test my desktop (wirelessly) i'm only pulling 54 mbps.

It's the same desktop and router I had when i had shaw, and this same desktop used to pull 94 mbps wirelessly.

:banghead:

Do you get the same ~50ish on the laptop if you switch it over to wireless?

Do you have any games on steam? Try starting a download for a free game thats a decent size and see how many MB/s you get. If you get 10ish then it might just be something with the speedtest, if you get 5ish then its running around 50mbps

Hero_X
07-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Yeah same 50ish on laptop.

I downloaded a 2.5 gb file and it was going at about 6 MB/s, so it's definitely kicking around 50mbps.

Btw I have the "bonded" telus internet (two phone lines going into the modem). I dunno if that could also be a factor? :dunno:

pheoxs
07-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Yeah same 50ish on laptop.

I downloaded a 2.5 gb file and it was going at about 6 MB/s, so it's definitely kicking around 50mbps.

Btw I have the "bonded" telus internet (two phone lines going into the modem). I dunno if that could also be a factor? :dunno:

It shouldn't since your modem will deal with that and then it goes to your router but I've never used/seen a bonded DSL connection as I was fortunate to have fibre straight into my home.

schocker
07-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by J.M.
What did you say? I plan on calling them either tonight or tomorrow morning haha
I called the loyalty and explained I wasn't happy with how I was paying more for BB50 than Optik 100 at double the speed. They explained blah blah wifi hotspots, 24/7 technical support and all that and also that the telus phone is more. They just kept asking if I was happy with my service now then she looked at my bill for a bit and came back with that offer. Only took like 5mins total and now I have BB60 instead and the same personal tv and 1 addon and basic home phone as before for like $80/month iirc. for 6 months. In sage hill at least BB60 gives me 70 mbps which is great, though 50 was giving me 58.

J.M.
07-24-2015, 10:29 AM

I called the loyalty and explained I wasn't happy with how I was paying more for BB50 than Optik 100 at double the speed. They explained blah blah wifi hotspots, 24/7 technical support and all that and also that the telus phone is more. They just kept asking if I was happy with my service now then she looked at my bill for a bit and came back with that offer. Only took like 5mins total and now I have BB60 instead and the same personal tv and 1 addon and basic home phone as before for like $80/month iirc. for 6 months. In sage hill at least BB60 gives me 70 mbps which is great, though 50 was giving me 58.

Yeah I ended up calling and got a pretty crappy offer lol.

Lady on the phone said we will give you BB60 for $93/month and upgrade your modem for free :rofl: :rofl:

I got the Telus spiel too haha. I'll try again some other time and hopefully get a better deal..

schocker
07-24-2015, 11:18 AM

Lady on the phone said we will give you BB60 for $93/month and upgrade your modem for free :rofl: :rofl:

I got the Telus spiel too haha. I'll try again some other time and hopefully get a better deal..
Isn't that regular price? :rofl:
Yeah, I as surprised with my offer. Does it depend on how long you have been a customer? I have been with them for 5.5 years now. The new modem though, can't you bring in yours and exchange it also for free?

rx7boi
07-24-2015, 11:46 AM

:rofl: what the fuck? so internet is gonna cost you $60 total for the next half year of service?

edit: oh wait, you have it bundled with other services, but that's still a way better deal than i got hahaha

BB60 costs $93 per month. Are you sure that's what she said?

Cause otherwise she basically said "yes, we will give you internet for our advertise price" :rofl:

schocker
07-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
:rofl: what the fuck? so internet is gonna cost you $60 total for the next half year of service?

edit: oh wait, you have it bundled with other services, but that's still a way better deal than i got hahaha

My bundle was going up in august to $158+tax so it is a pretty good deal :rofl:
Yeah, Personal TV, $10 one pack, basic home phone and BB60. Would be $161/month I think for new people. You just have to be more annoyed on the phone :D

J.M.
07-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Yeah I am not kidding guys lol she said we will give you BB60 for $93..

We pretty much ran around in circles for 15-20 minutes to the point I was getting slightly pissed off haha. Been with Shaw since about 2002 as well and she wouldn't budge at all.

Her best offer was a free modem which usually costs $7/month or something and BB60 for $93/month.

I will call again though, hopefully get a easier rep to deal with. :rofl:

pheoxs
07-24-2015, 02:50 PM

We pretty much ran around in circles for 15-20 minutes to the point I was getting slightly pissed off haha. Been with Shaw since about 2002 as well and she wouldn't budge at all.

Her best offer was a free modem which usually costs $7/month or something and BB60 for $93/month.

Generally you need to get past the first tier rep. Retentions gives out better deals than the tier 1 customer service reps can, thats where you can generally negotiate

schocker
07-24-2015, 03:43 PM

lol. I was asking about the modem/cable box and the rep said they were included at no charge for me :rofl:
Obviously you were not pissy enough/10. You have to go hard on the Optik 100 for $88/month in a bundle and how that makes you unhappy seeing as how you have been a customer for way longer than me :rofl:
I guess I lucked out for once :poosie:

J.M.
07-24-2015, 04:51 PM
That was retentions lol. I got transferred from tier 1 to retentions since the tier 1 guy said he couldn't offer anything.

Yeah you really gotta put your foot down to get discounts it seems.

thetransporter
07-24-2015, 05:32 PM
my sister has it @130
its really annoying so many ports are blocked
3389 -rdp
1723 - cant do PPTP into a household router to access LAN (good luck trying to figure out who to change it from client and server)
8080 remote management of router

25/80 they still think we are in 2004 .......

http://telus.com/portalWeb/portlets/popUp/popUp.jsp?docPath=CP_SCS/General/Internet/High_Speed/General/Security_Measures_Policy/&lang=EN&region=BC&pre=

What Ports are TELUS blocking?
The following ports will have inbound (ingress) and in some cases outbound traffic blocked.

to show you TELUS is messed up or not telling us the Truth (maybe in BC POP3 RFC standard is different)
110 - ? how does one spam with POP3 (pop3 = check incoming mail)
TCP 110 (pop3)

Customers running a POP mail server will no longer be able to have Internet users connect to the server.
This prevents mail servers that operate as an open relay. Open relays are used without a customer's knowledge to send millions of pieces of Spam.

TCP 21 (ftp)

Customers running an FTP server will no longer be able to have Internet users connect to their server.
This prevents computers to be used as FTP servers to store illegal files.

>> isnt it SFTP now on a different port?

??????????????

On the Mobility Side:
Users now receive an internal 10/8 subnet ip address which is restrictive and blocks access to VPN - you have to get a "VPN access bundle" at 5/month

rx7boi
07-24-2015, 06:35 PM
That was retentions lol. I got transferred from tier 1 to retentions since the tier 1 guy said he couldn't offer anything.

Yeah you really gotta put your foot down to get discounts it seems.

Fuckkk what a wanker hahaha.

You should definitely call back another time and talk to someone else. I have heard stories of how someone will call and finally the 4th person gives enough of a shit to offer a good deal.

Kinjou
07-24-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm giving Internet 100 a go, just signed up for internet only. Getting $40/month off for a year. After that it is regular price ($93+tax) but because it will be bundled with my mobility service, get an extra $5/off a month. Equivalent to the $88 I was paying for BB50 at Shaw.

eblend
07-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
my sister has it @130
its really annoying so many ports are blocked
3389 -rdp

Not sure where you got this info, but 3389 is definitely NOT blocked, been using it for 5 years.

80, 443 and 21 are the ones some people MIGHT care about if they want to run their own web servers at home, but there are ways around it anyways so isn't a big deal.

eblend
07-25-2015, 08:36 AM

wireless i get 20 mbps.

Your internet speed will have nothing to do with your wifi throughput. Test it....unplug the internet cable from your telus router and move files around the computers on the network. The only thing I can think of that would make a difference for you is perhaps you are just getting more interference from the Telus's Wifi. I don't know if putting Telus gear into bridge mode leaves Wifi enabled or not, but that's the only thing I can think of. Hell unplug Telus router all together and see if your speed improves just routing through your own router.

thetransporter
07-26-2015, 01:29 AM

Not sure where you got this info, but 3389 is definitely NOT blocked, been using it for 5 years.

80, 443 and 21 are the ones some people MIGHT care about if they want to run their own web servers at home, but there are ways around it anyways so isn't a big deal.

3389 was working then its blocked on our account

its like a case by case ..... 443 ok .. the other day 80 was working...

eblend
07-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

3389 was working then its blocked on our account

its like a case by case ..... 443 ok .. the other day 80 was working...

Well that's weird. I never had 80 or 443 work...and 3389 has always worked for me. I don't think Telus is making firewall changes at random daily. I RDP home from work pretty much every day.

CompletelyNumb
08-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Damn bandwidth caps, already at 95% one week before my cycle resets :thumbsdow

EK69
08-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I just moved into new place, and it came with a years free tv and internet. I took the option to upgrade to 100, and was pleasantly surprised when I went down to my utility room and noticed an in house fibre drop.

So far the Service has been OK. Hit and miss on wait times, and I did get dropped a few times while on hold. I tried the option to leave your number and have them call you back, but they never did.

Optik TV is nothing to rave about, the packages are again ok, the full meal deal internet, tv and phone can reach above $200/month, just like shaw.
The quality of HD TV is more inline with DVD quality, although I am on a Wireless TV Box, because the developer placed the jacks right beside the main door no where near the living room, and tv....
Over the Air HDTV spoiled me in terms of HD quality, but its nice to have the extra content now. I do find myself switching back to rabbit ear TV to watch some shows..

VOD seems to have higher bitrate aswell.

speedtest.net confirms that Im hitting 96 mbps through wireless G, torrenting has only netted me 3.5 Mb/s so far. I have yet to try the speed through CAT5 yet.
Netflix does start instantly in HD though which is nice. gaming doesn't make any difference what so every because, most PS games only need 1MB per minute of data usage.

So far I can't really complain for a technically free service.

your new place came with 1 year free of telus internet and you upgraded to 100mbps with telus? i didnt even know telus had 100mbps lol

I have an offer from shaw for my new place i think thats similar to that (15mbps is the "free for a year" speed but you can upgrade and pay the difference), wondering if telus is doing that everywhere or it depends on the developer/builder and who they have a deal with?

my new place is in airdrie, wondering where you are? (maybe specific builders/developers have a deal with telus, and others have a deal with shaw...)

AE92_TreunoSC
08-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Just paid to have unlimited bandwidth for 15$ more per month. I use about 200-400 depending on how much we stay at home and even the Telus 50 is only 400 cap.

I hate worrying about how much I use, but it feels like a cash grab with these new rules.

SportEL
08-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Switch your Telus modem to bridge mode and eliminate that network from the loop, everything should be connecting to your Asus router and it should work fine.

I have my chromecast on 2.4ghz whereas my phone connects on the 5ghz band and can stream to it just fine. Also 2.4 and 5 should be different SSID names (not what the person above said) otherwise your devices will have issues connecting as both networks shouldnt have the same name.

Have you had the chromecast working before? Or is it new? Perhaps it isn't setup correct / isn't connected to the right network?

I fixed this awhile back. I was able to figure out how to bridge my Asus router by connecting it to LAN1 on the Telus modem and enabling bridge mode on the Telus. That did not fix my problem with Plex not streaming. I then turned off my firewall, and it worked! Then I had to enable Plex on the firewall.. Plex now streams through either Chromecast or DLNA on my TV.

ipeefreely
08-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Telus 150Mbit fibre (soft) launch (https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30222413-AB-Telus-150Mbit-fibre-soft-launch) Anyone going to upgrade? :burnout:

I'm thinking of giving the 100Mbit (on copper) a try for a month with the $55 promo to see how it is before threatening Shaw to cancel... :rofl:

I guess you get a bundle discount if you have cell with them but I can't seem to get that bundle on their site... :cry:

The_Rural_Juror
08-19-2015, 08:19 PM
I just got 100 installed today. I was told that the 150 is going to be $30/month more. I don't think that I will be maxing out 100, so I stayed with it.

Found the port1 bridge mode. Is there a setting to turn the entire router into a bridge? Also, why can't I bypass the telus router and just use mine?

eblend
08-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I just got 100 installed today. I was told that the 150 is going to be $30/month more. I don't think that I will be maxing out 100, so I stayed with it.

How does one turn the telus modem into a bridge? I couldn't find the settings.
Why can't I just bypass the telus modem?

Do you have optic tv with them as well? If it's FTTH and you got nothing but internet with them you can plugin your own router directly into their fiber modem and call it a day, otherwise they use their all-in-one devices for things like HPNA (Ethernet over coax for places that don't have Ethernet behind tv), QOS (to ensure tv never stutters) and ease of troubleshooting (standardized hardware)

benyl
08-19-2015, 08:58 PM
I'll pay $10-$20 more for 150. $30 isn't worth it.

The_Rural_Juror
08-19-2015, 09:07 PM

Do you have optic tv with them as well? If it's FTTH and you got nothing but internet with them you can plugin your own router directly into their fiber modem and call it a day, otherwise they use their all-in-one devices for things like HPNA (Ethernet over coax for places that don't have Ethernet behind tv), QOS (to ensure tv never stutters) and ease of troubleshooting (standardized hardware)

Just internet. Looks like only one port on the modem works. I was hoping for two ports so that I don't have to place my primary router in the utility room. Weird.

My Netgear Nighthawk QoS doesn't play nice with Telus for some reason. I had to disable it to get the full speeds.