PDA

View Full Version : Used motorcycle shopping

D'z Nutz
07-20-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm starting to look for my first bike. Besides Kijiji and Autotrader, are there any other sites I should be aware of that posts bikes for sale?

revelations
07-20-2015, 06:42 PM
usedcalgary, craigslist ?

schurchill39
07-20-2015, 06:44 PM
I think for something like a bike you're going to have at least 80% of the used market on kijiji. Its fast, easy and free which is why its so popular. Blackfoot motorsports has a section on their website for used bikes that they have taken on trade in that are usually reasonably priced.

What are you looking at getting into for a first bike?

D'z Nutz
07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations
usedcalgary, craigslist ?

Thanks, didn't even think of those. After browsing through them, it looks like sellers didn't even think of those either haha

Originally posted by schurchill39
I think for something like a bike you're going to have at least 80% of the used market on kijiji. Its fast, easy and free which is why its so popular. Blackfoot motorsports has a section on their website for used bikes that they have taken on trade in that are usually reasonably priced.

What are you looking at getting into for a first bike?

Yeah I that's what I figured too, but I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there I wasn't aware of.

Looking for a cruiser <= 750cc for about ~$2500-3000 that I can learn on for a couple seasons. No matter what I look at, I keep coming back to a Honda Shadow 750 ACE.

Graham_A_M
07-20-2015, 08:13 PM
^ it's a good bike to start on, you may want to look at the Suzuki S40. just a hard hitting 650 single, but lighter and more nimble then the Honda, cheap as hell too, you can score a good used one for next to nothing.

You also may want to briefly look at Ebay. Despite our dollar being what it is, there are some decent deals to be had, and yes I can help you import it if you did find one. Also, if you wanted to save even more money, in the event you wanted to buy a write off, I can give you a hand to get it sorted and back on the road. Last year I found a write off 2010 Honda Fury for a $5k USD buy it now on ebay, absolutely kicking myself for not picking it up a $10k bike here). All it needed was a new tank and fenders ($500 used, also on ebay). :banghead:

D'z Nutz
07-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ it's a good bike to start on, you may want to look at the Suzuki S40. just a hard hitting 650 single, but lighter and more nimble then the Honda, cheap as hell too, you can score a good used one for next to nothing.

You also may want to briefly look at Ebay. Despite our dollar being what it is, there are some decent deals to be had, and yes I can help you import it if you did find one. Also, if you wanted to save even more money, in the event you wanted to buy a write off, I can give you a hand to get it sorted and back on the road. Last year I found a write off 2010 Honda Fury for a $5k USD buy it now on ebay, absolutely kicking myself for not picking it up a $10k bike here). All it needed was a new tank and fenders ($500 used, also on ebay). :banghead:

Haha I knew you'd respond to this thread! Yeah I'm sort of considering the Suzuki S40 too. I kind of want something belt or chain driven, but I guess if I only plan on keeping it for a couple seasons it's not such a big deal.

How the heck do you find all these deals?! Haha

Graham_A_M
07-20-2015, 08:57 PM
^ now that I know what you're after I'll PM you what I find. Tell me what colors or other options you want and I'll try to find something right up your alley. I don't know, been in this game for a while, 26 years man. :rofl:

Same with DDDUKE, he knows his stuff too. K I'll keep my eyes peeled, and by the way, it's not the least bit hard to bring up bikes from the states, the vast majority of Blackfoots used inventory was bought at various power sport auction houses down in the states and imported here through them ;)

D'z Nutz
07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
^ now that I know what you're after I'll PM you what I find. Tell me what colors or other options you want and I'll try to find something right up your alley. I don't know, been in this game for a while, 26 years man. :rofl:

Same with DDDUKE, he knows his stuff too. K I'll keep my eyes peeled, and by the way, it's not the least bit hard to bring up bikes from the states, the vast majority of Blackfoots used inventory was bought at various power sport auction houses down in the states and imported here through them ;)

I don't think my criteria is too hard to satisfy:
- Don't want to spend more than $2500-3000. Obviously cheaper is better since I don't want to rule out the possibility I may drop it
- I have no real colour preference. I think the only colour I don't really like is silver, but I'm not particularly choosy because I know with my price range I've limited my options
- Don't want something much older than 2000
- Nothing bigger than 750cc
- As for included extras, windshield is a very nice thing to have since I may take it on the highway. Saddles bags are nice too but not a deal breaker since I probably wouldn't be using them very much.
- And something that handles well for a beginner
- I'm 5'9", 165-170lbs.

You can see why an early 2000's Honda Shadow 750 ACE seems to fit the bill, although the weight of the S40 does make it very appealing. I read that changing oil on a V-star is a pain in the ass, which is another reason why I gave the Shadow a nod.

Env-Consultant
07-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Have you thought about a Kawasaki Versys 650? I started with a Shadow about 6 years ago and switched to a Versys after a year. Sport-touring bike, won't flip yourself over backwards on it, reliable as hell, and handles like a dream.

E.g. http://kijiji.ca/sport-touring/lethbridge/2009-kawasaki-versys-650/v?adId=1063946418&locationId=1700230 (http://m.kijiji.ca/sport-touring/lethbridge/2009-kawasaki-versys-650/v?adId=1063946418&locationId=1700230)

This one is a bit outside of your requested price range, but I wanted to throw the bike make/model out there anyways.

D'z Nutz
07-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant
Have you thought about a Kawasaki Versys 650? I started with a Shadow about 6 years ago and switched to a Versys after a year. Sport-touring bike, won't flip yourself over backwards on it, reliable as hell, and handles like a dream.

E.g. http://kijiji.ca/sport-touring/lethbridge/2009-kawasaki-versys-650/v?adId=1063946418&amp;locationId=1700230 (http://m.kijiji.ca/sport-touring/lethbridge/2009-kawasaki-versys-650/v?adId=1063946418&amp;locationId=1700230)

This one is a bit outside of your requested price range, but I wanted to throw the bike make/model out there anyways.

I appreciate the suggestion, but sport bikes do nothing for me.

theken
07-20-2015, 11:46 PM
i picked up a shadow 750ace for a smokin good price, i really enjoy it. im going to be going for a street bob in the next little bit but the shadow has been great.

D'z Nutz
07-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by theken
i picked up a shadow 750ace for a smokin good price, i really enjoy it. im going to be going for a street bob in the next little bit but the shadow has been great.

Was this recently? If so, I wonder if it was any of the ones I was looking at haha

codetrap
07-21-2015, 12:08 PM

flipstah
07-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I don't think my criteria is too hard to satisfy:
- Don't want to spend more than $2500-3000. Obviously cheaper is better since I don't want to rule out the possibility I may drop it
- I have no real colour preference. I think the only colour I don't really like is silver, but I'm not particularly choosy because I know with my price range I've limited my options
- Don't want something much older than 2000
- Nothing bigger than 750cc
- As for included extras, windshield is a very nice thing to have since I may take it on the highway. Saddles bags are nice too but not a deal breaker since I probably wouldn't be using them very much.
- And something that handles well for a beginner
- I'm 5'9&quot;, 165-170lbs.

You can see why an early 2000's Honda Shadow 750 ACE seems to fit the bill, although the weight of the S40 does make it very appealing. I read that changing oil on a V-star is a pain in the ass, which is another reason why I gave the Shadow a nod.

If you find two, let me know as well lol. Looking to get one for shits and giggles. Criteria is the same.

:hijack:

Graham_A_M
07-21-2015, 01:08 PM
^ lol both of you want Honda Shadow ace's? Or would either want an S40? Finding two Shadows in that price point will be a bit of work, but I'll try to find one at a time. D's gets first priority obviously. Once again, I may try to find ones that need a bit of work that'l save you guys thousands as it's not the least bit hard to find parts and make them mint again.

Last month I tried to sign up for "powersports auctions" down in the US, but without a dealer license and extensive banking info that I don't have, I can't sign up as an individual and bid on bikes.

Kind of shame, thats precisely where Blackfoot buys their bikes from and goes down once a month or so with a cargo trailer to import them, and resell them at their dealership. So you'll notice the majority of their bikes are in MPH, as their mostly US imports, which even with the exchange rate their still cheaper then the local bikes.

flipstah
07-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Might go for a CB 750. They're cheap!

theken
07-21-2015, 03:00 PM

Was this recently? If so, I wonder if it was any of the ones I was looking at haha no it was last year

theken
07-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Harley is like 60% cheaper in the states. Makes me sad

D'z Nutz
07-21-2015, 03:12 PM
^ lol both of you want Honda Shadow ace's? Or would either want an S40? Finding two Shadows in that price point will be a bit of work, but I'll try to find one at a time. D's gets first priority obviously. Once again, I may try to find ones that need a bit of work that'l save you guys thousands as it's not the least bit hard to find parts and make them mint again.

I was pretty set on the Shadow ACE, but the more I read up about the S40, the more fun it sounds. I could go either/or quite honestly.

And check your PMs man!

D'z Nutz
07-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Might go for a CB 750. They're cheap!

Do it!

Graham_A_M
07-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by theken
Harley is like 60% cheaper in the states. Makes me sad

^ that makes me quite happy. Less Harleys on the road up here warms my heart and honestly makes me smile.
Might go for a CB 750. They're cheap! Yup their cheap and now obsolete. The good thing about those bikes, is that they have a cult like following so there are companies that make re issue parts. But if you were to go to a place like Rocky Mountain Honda and ask for parts, you'd be shit out of luck. You can always find generics for them, but keeping those CB's on the road means you'll be using eBay as your parts counter primarily.
I TOTALLY miss my old 81 Cb650 chopper that I built when I was 14, but that was a LONG time ago. Unfortunately asides from left over parts that dealerships may have, you'd be quite hard pressed to find specific parts for it locally. You may want to call up "the Olde motorcycle shop" as they deal a lot with bikes of that vintage. They had an all original CB360 for $1k I had my eye on a couple months back

Edit: D's, pm'ed you back y0 :thumbsup:

flipstah
07-21-2015, 06:53 PM

Do it!

I'll see how this week goes!:rofl:

ercchry
07-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Fyi: i have zero issues finding parts for my 70s hondas... went to the dealer for an oil filter just last month and CB750 can go for a pretty penny, some people give them away for cheap though, but they sell FAST

Graham_A_M
07-21-2015, 10:06 PM
^ that's what I meant. Generics like brake pads, filters, tires, that type is shit is easy to come by, I would never say other wise. Yet for all intents and purposes, the (basic) CB line up isn't any newer then 30 years old. :nut: trying to find more specific items such as stators, shock parts, body panels, flywheels (etc) is getting increasingly harder to do. Most people are having to resort to aftermarket. 15 years ago when I sold my old CB, I couldn't get certain parts for it anymore. I remember back then the parts guys just told me it was discontinued, now it's like...... yeah good luck with that. Lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'd have a dozen examples to prove me wrong, but that's been my experience with it.

D'z Nutz
07-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Awwwwww yeeeeeah!!!

http://typicalfish.com/images/public/s40_09.jpg

http://typicalfish.com/images/public/s40_10.jpg

Thanks to Graham_A_M for suggesting the S40! I glanced at them a few times thinking they were 250cc bikes because of the size. It wasn't until he suggested it did I actually check the specs more carefully.

Also a special thanks to shakalaka for helping me complete the sale up in Edmonton before this got snatched up! Can't wait to pick it up!

Your turn, Don!

flipstah
07-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Nice buy! Love that color too!

I'm trying to finalize one but he can only meet on the weekend and looks like a lot are lined up to nab it.

Graham_A_M
07-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Yeah D, So glad you picked it up. For that price if you didn't, I'd make a special trip back to Alberta just to pick it up myself. Quite jealous. Super stoked for you though, looks like an awesome bike and a perfect fit for you too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don, what CB are you after? Just curious. Yeah anything CB will go Fricking fast. Not surprised you aren't the only one after it.

flipstah
07-22-2015, 10:29 PM
It's in Kijiji and I'm also looking at Kawasaki, Suzuki, and old BMW cruisers.

codetrap
07-22-2015, 10:30 PM

Graham_A_M
07-22-2015, 10:33 PM
It's in Kijiji and I'm also looking at Kawasaki, Suzuki, and old BMW cruisers.

Okay, let me know if I can help. :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
07-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Nice buy! Love that color too!

I'm trying to finalize one but he can only meet on the weekend and looks like a lot are lined up to nab it.

Yeah this bike had everything going for it: only a few years old, low mileage, on the lower end of my price range, 650cc on a small frame, and a pretty sweet colour.

What are you looking for exactly? Set up an RSS feed with your criteria on Kijiji and sit back and wait.

D'z Nutz
07-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I could probably be talked into helping you transport that sucker down... as in I'll ride it down for you. :) I even have a spare plate that used to belong to an S40.

I miss the one we had. It was red, with saddle bags and a windshield. I do recommend putting the windshield on it. It looks nice and it's reasonably functional.

Yeah? You heading up to Edmonton? I was planning on driving up on the long weekend but if you're heading up anyways and wouldn't mind, that would make things easier for me.

And yeah, I'm definitely gonna be on the look out for a windshield.

flipstah
07-22-2015, 10:38 PM
$1k or less summer beater. I don't care what it looks like, so long as it runs or relatively minor to fix (no rust and engine isn't seized). If anything, ill turn it into a cafe racer.

CB750 for $2.5k is cheap but disappears quick.

I found some but waiting for email replies.

Hell, ill take a barn find and roll the dice.

codetrap
07-22-2015, 10:42 PM

D'z Nutz
07-22-2015, 10:44 PM
I'll check my schedule tomorrow and let you know. I wouldn't mind having a nice cruise. ;)

Sure, just PM me and we can work out the details.

codetrap
07-23-2015, 08:30 AM

bleu
07-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Love! Awesome buy!! :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
07-23-2015, 08:37 AM
I checked this morning, and I've got changes scheduled over this weekend and next weekend. No edmonton trips for me. :(

Sorry man.

No worries man! I appreciate the offer though!

Originally posted by bleu
Love! Awesome buy!! :thumbsup:

Blow the dust off your bike and let's go for a ride :D

flipstah
07-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Derrick, once I get mine I'll still have to do lessons :(

D'z Nutz
07-23-2015, 08:41 AM

What are you waiting for? Book it already!

Team_Mclaren
07-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Wicked Bike D, thats a sweet color too. made me kinda want a small bike to cruise around in again...

if you havent booked already, you're probably not riding this season..

flipstah
07-23-2015, 01:18 PM
^ I don't think I will be as the bike I'm looking for is a builder.

D'z Nutz
07-24-2015, 08:35 AM
^ I don't think I will be as the bike I'm looking for is a builder.

How much of a fixer upper were you looking for?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/edmonton/cb-750/1087090724?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

legendboy
07-24-2015, 06:46 PM
guy I work with has an s83, he loves it

shakalaka
07-27-2015, 10:28 PM
A couple more pics of your bike tucked away safely at the back of my parking stall Derrick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150724_183549.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150727_202454.jpg

D'z Nutz
07-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Sweeeeet. I can't wait to pick it up this weekend. Thanks again man!

shakalaka
07-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Seeing that bike in that spot makes me miss mine when I had it before my crash last year. :(

The fiancée isn't too happy with you btw, for making me want a bike again. lol

flipstah
07-27-2015, 10:44 PM

How much of a fixer upper were you looking for?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/edmonton/cb-750/1087090724?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Rough shape cosmetically but running mechanically.

I'll just keep saving and buy late in the season to start in 2016.

schurchill39
08-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Looks like you were able to find exactly what you were looking for. Congrats dude, you'll love the motorcycle.

What site or service did you end up finding it on? I'm selling my bike now and just want to make sure I have my bases covered as far as places to advertise besides the regular kijiji, craigslist, used calgary.

D'z Nutz
08-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Looks like you were able to find exactly what you were looking for. Congrats dude, you'll love the motorcycle.

What site or service did you end up finding it on? I'm selling my bike now and just want to make sure I have my bases covered as far as places to advertise besides the regular kijiji, craigslist, used calgary.

I found it through Kijiji.

If it's priced pretty fairly and you take lots of pictures from all angles and include as much details as you can, you shouldn't have too much difficulty selling it. I was probably watching Kijiji for at least the last two months until I bought my bike and some people either really half ass their ads with crappy photos and no details or they're expecting an unrealistic amount of money for their 15 year old bikes.

D'z Nutz
09-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Anyone looking for a late season pick up, this is a good price if it checks out mechanically

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/calgary/2003-honda-shadow-vt750-price-reduced/1104631576

adamc
09-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant

E.g. http://kijiji.ca/sport-touring/lethbridge/2009-kawasaki-versys-650/v?adId=1063946418&amp;locationId=1700230 (http://m.kijiji.ca/sport-touring/lethbridge/2009-kawasaki-versys-650/v?adId=1063946418&amp;locationId=1700230)

I had a Versys, bought it sight unseen off Craigslist Atlanta, rode it across America through the south/texas/southwest/california & oregon coasts, through BC and back to Calgary. Kept it for a year, then sold it for $3k more than I bought it for.

Great bike for just about everything I threw at it. Not a bike for a shorter rider however. I could flatfoot at 6'2" but below 6' it's a pretty tall ride for sure.

Motocamping in New Mexico
http://i.imgur.com/pexrYu4.jpg

adamc
09-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Anyway, to the OP, I would really suggest getting a bike that doesn't have forward controls for a first bike. (ie; not a cruiser).

Edit: looks like you already picked one up, congrats!

My advice:

- ALL THE GEAR all the time (helmet, leather or textile jacket, good boots that won't fly off in a crash, gloves) at a minimum. Google for images of LOW SPEED motorcycle crashes if you think sneakers are good for riding - they're not.

- Don't try to bite off more than you can chew, Calgary has some of the worst drivers in the world (as a motorcyclist). Stick to small roads until you're completely comfortable.

- Take a training school if you can, TooCool is the best in the city.

- Everyone is trying to kill you, and you are invisible. Keep these facts in mind at all time.

- No earbuds in the city, I see this all the time, so dumb.

- Buy this book and read it over the winter, or find a PDF torrent of it (widely available online)

http://www.amazon.ca/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536

Enjoy yourself, welcome to the lifestyle! :)