PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to get a car from Calgary to Ontario

hippak
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi All.

Purchasing a vehicle in Calgary and will be sending it to Ontario.

I can't drive the car back so this is not an option.

I looked into hansen forwarding and they are cheap (1200 CAD) but the turnover time is too long 2.5 weeks.

I also looked at MVS and they are faster 7-10 days and reasonable (1500 CAD).

Any other faster options that anyone can recommend? I'm only in the country for 4 weeks and would like to drive the car a little bit in Ontario before leaving again.

Thanks in advance!

blitz
07-22-2015, 05:00 PM
When I used MVS a few years ago for Toronto to Calgary, they used Hansens forwarding to ship it, just FYI.

jwslam
07-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Someone told me they recently used CanadaDriveAway.com
Probably isn't very fast, but cheaper than $1200 I'd imagine.

edit: you're going for fast not cheap, I have no idea then...
I would probably do it on a Friday - Monday, but not sure how much those expenses would add up to to fly my ass back lol.

CanmoreOrLess
07-22-2015, 05:06 PM
If you've ever driven that route, you'd know it takes at least three days and zero sleep to make the run. Summer is the time of road construction. I've done it in five and wished I'd have shipped the vehicle once costs, wear and tear, etc are factored in. Another two days in TO just getting rid of the car-lag feeling.

If the car is your Merc SL55 AMG (great car by the way), fuel alone will be $500 plus and the very real chance of other mechanical issues on route. Blow a tire in the wrong town and you could be looking at a couple of days to get a tire installed.

hippak
07-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the quick reply's guys.

Hansen shipment is via rail which is why its 2.5 weeks. The MVS shipment is via truck which is why its faster 7-10 days.

Thanks for the suggestions on having someone drive the vehicle. The SL55 is long gone but this vehicle would burn much more fuel and I dont want to put any additional KMs on it so driving it over isn't really an option :)

NoPulp
07-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Perhaps contact one of the car importers? Many alberta Japanese importers claim they ship cars all over the country. They may have their own service or can recommend a company?

A790
07-22-2015, 06:23 PM
So, it's 2.5 weeks by rail and you don't want to drive it? What about one of those auto shipping trucks?

CanmoreOrLess
07-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Offer to pay a premium for immediate shipping. Everyone wants it for cheap, you will pay more for a timely delivery and that ought to make someone happy.

Ship from Montana to Detroit?: https://directconnectautotransport.com/#

AndyL
07-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Insure it... Register it...

1500$ and I'll have it there in 48 hours :)

Roadtrip!

CanmoreOrLess
07-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Roadtrip!

You work for cheap. Minus your food, drink and one way flight back to YYC: Up $750 for nearly four very full days.

spikerS
07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
if I had more time, I would offer to trailer it out there, but it would cost more than 2k.

Tik-Tok
07-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by hippak

I can't drive the car back so this is not an option.

Only because of the kms on it, or also because of time constraint?

If you have the time, rent a one way truck and trailer, and drive it yourself.

BensonTT
07-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Roadtrip!

i will do it for $1450 and will make it in 47hrs :)

BBursey
07-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Check out UShip.com. I got a good deal on shipping from Vancouver to Calgary in an enclosed trailer and delivered to my door - just happened to be a guy coming this way with an empty spot that he could fill at the last minute. Had it delivered within 48 hours.

Cheers,
Bryan

killramos
07-23-2015, 07:21 AM
We used Hansens ( them and some other distributor on the east coast) to bring the FJ cruiser from Halifax to Calgary but it took a long time. We basically waited for the call that our truck had arrived and tried not to worry about it in the meantime. I think they use rail which shouldn't reasonably take that long from Ontario...

The truck was in good shape though with no funny business.

ercchry
07-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
If you've ever driven that route, you'd know it takes at least three days and zero sleep to make the run. Summer is the time of road construction. I've done it in five and wished I'd have shipped the vehicle once costs, wear and tear, etc are factored in. Another two days in TO just getting rid of the car-lag feeling.

If the car is your Merc SL55 AMG (great car by the way), fuel alone will be $500 plus and the very real chance of other mechanical issues on route. Blow a tire in the wrong town and you could be looking at a couple of days to get a tire installed.

Did it last summer, this time of year in 30hrs... but yeah fuel was like $600+ in the F150

you&me
07-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Call Blueline Distribution 1-905-875-4630.

They're most often the fastest. Not cheap though.