PDA

View Full Version : 2008 BMW 335Xi??

KISS_ME
07-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Hey Guys,

Apologies in advance, I'm not the richest beyonder so just looking to get some advice on what I maybe getting myself into.

I finally saved up enough pennies to be looking at a BMW and just want to get your thoughts about the 2008 335xi in terms of reliability and maintenance.

The specific car I'm looking at has 80K on the clock, at this point, what kinda things should i be expecting to replace? how reliable are these years models? is there anything i should be aware of? I read the fuel pump is a massive problem with earlier models but is covered under warranty.

03ozwhip
07-23-2015, 06:13 PM
HPFP, water pump and thermostat is something you want to get done asap, they tend to go on the earlier twin turbos. From everything I've read and heard, they do have some issues but if you get past these and maintain it properly, you'll love it.

I have a 2011 335 xDrive and absolutely love it. I just did plugs, cabin/air filters, water pump and thermostat at calgary autoworks and I spent $1800 So that's a good indication if what you'll spend right off the bat, unless it's already been done.

I'm not a pro yet, but I know a few things now, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM me.

Canucks3322
07-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Fuel pump, water pump and thermostat, curious to know, are these things a beginner to intermiate diy'er can do? I know for the V8 in my X5, if the valve stem seals or the coolant pipe go *knock on wood not any time soon*, I pretty much have to take to a mechanic and bend over.

03ozwhip
07-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Fuel pump, water pump and thermostat, curious to know, are these things a beginner to intermiate diy'er can do? I know for the V8 in my X5, if the valve stem seals or the coolant pipe go *knock on wood not any time soon*, I pretty much have to take to a mechanic and bend over.

There are a lot if DIY YouTube vids to do all of these, but for our turbo engines, the waterpump can be a pain in the ass. I could have done it all myself, but I lack time and the want to do it lol

italianstylez
07-23-2015, 09:19 PM
As mentioned water pump and thermo usually Round 120k, high pressure fuel pump but it's under a 160k warranty , boost solenoids fail, the typical plugs and coils , and turbo seals, I've dealt with it all on my car it's all pretty simple stuff , after I changed my WP, coils and plugs and solenoid I've been issue free until my turbo seals, but I am running 23.5 psi with meth still dead reliable but sometimes it smokes a bit on decel, any questions shoot me a pm, I do the work on most friends 335s as well, so encountered most issues that arise.

J.M.
07-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

There are a lot if DIY YouTube vids to do all of these, but for our turbo engines, the waterpump can be a pain in the ass. I could have done it all myself, but I lack time and the want to do it lol

:werd: Lots of guides on the forums as well.

It just depends on your comfort level on actually doing this stuff and factoring in time, money saved, etc.

If you like to tinker and work on cars and are comfortable with what you can and can't do, I'd say go for it.

KISS_ME
07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
OK. Thanks Guys!! I'll reach out if i have any specific questions. Thanks a bunch!!

with interest rates at rock bottom I'm really leaning towards just borrowing. my weakest investment at the moment is making me more then 3%.