PDA

View Full Version : P.Eng Application Question

Pages : [1] 2

Hero_X
07-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I just recently covered 4 years of work experience and believe I'm ready for my P.Eng application.

That being said, I have one question:

Does all 4 years of experience have to be under a P.Eng?

Where I work now, i am not working directly under a P.Eng. I used to be, but the P.Eng that was formerly my lead has left the company. I intend to use the time under him, in my application. However, the rest of the time I was under a non-P.Eng.

Please shed some light on this situation, and as to what I could do to help my case.

Thank you.

dirtsniffer
07-27-2015, 08:46 AM
I wouldnt quote me but as long as you still have access to a p/eng to review your work its all good. They do not need to be your team lead.

killramos
07-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Yea i think a coworker can count as long as they are willing to sign off on your work. It also doesn't have to be a direct report if your bosses boss is an engineer you can also use them.

Its more important that you were doing real engineering work all 4 years than who you are working for.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2015, 08:50 AM
You do not have to report directly to a P.Eng, or in some cases, even have one review your work.

It's been a few years since I applied, but when I did, I thought this was covered pretty clearly in the application documents. If you have questions, APEGA is actually quite helpful with these things.

pheoxs
07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm in the middle of filling in my PEng application as well. Having issues since the first place I worked out of school has basically disintegrated and I can't track down any of my supervisors/bosses minus one that is still there but he was doing so much shady stuff that I left because of him for ethical reasons. I'm not exactly inclined to phone him up and ask for a reference.

lasimmon
07-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You do not have to report directly to a P.Eng, or in some cases, even have one review your work.

It's been a few years since I applied, but when I did, I thought this was covered pretty clearly in the application documents. If you have questions, APEGA is actually quite helpful with these things.

This is correct.

bspot
07-27-2015, 12:06 PM
As long as you have a P. Eng to sign off on all the years, you should be good.

I had an identical job as a friend of mine, but did not report up through a P. Eng or have a P. Eng mentor at all.

I got credit for basically 50% of my time. My friend got 100%.

It took me forever to get mine.

lasimmon
07-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by bspot
As long as you have a P. Eng to sign off on all the years, you should be good.

I had an identical job as a friend of mine, but did not report up through a P. Eng or have a P. Eng mentor at all.

I got credit for basically 50% of my time. My friend got 100%.

It took me forever to get mine.

I got 100% credit for work done without a P. Eng. in the company. This was about 9 months ago.

What was your line of work? They have factors for certain jobs. IE: they may only give 50% for what you did as work.

Your friend may have written his experience better on the form.

pheoxs
07-27-2015, 12:51 PM
For any of you that did your application, any chance you could PM me a sample of how you explained your experience? I think I've done a good job but would rather this go smoothly than get partial credit for my time

bjstare
07-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
For any of you that did your application, any chance you could PM me a sample of how you explained your experience? I think I've done a good job but would rather this go smoothly than get partial credit for my time

Without going into a ton of detail, I spoke with someone at APEGA a couple months back - he told me to cater it towards technical/design experience, not Project Management experience. They really value the technical over the PM stuff, so that will make things go better. Something else he said is include everything you think might make your application stronger (i.e. co-op work, even if it wasn't under a p.eng or if it was before your third year).

Hope that helps a bit

lasimmon
07-27-2015, 01:19 PM

I essentially did mine in point form:

- A
- b
- c

Just writing short descriptive examples of what I would do on a day to day basis and how I did things (what formulas I use or methods to figure things out for example).

I'd send you a sample but I can't seem to find it anymore.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2015, 01:39 PM
By the time I got around to doing mine, I think I had 13 months more experience than the minimum. That probably helped. ;)
Shouldn't have procrastinated, but at the time, my employer wasn't offering any raise or anything for getting the certification, so I wasn't motivated.

pheoxs
07-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys, that helps

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
By the time I got around to doing mine, I think I had 13 months more experience than the minimum. That probably helped. ;)
Shouldn't have procrastinated, but at the time, my employer wasn't offering any raise or anything for getting the certification, so I wasn't motivated.

Normally I wouldn't be in a rush as speaking to coworkers they get nada from getting their certification, but the way things are going if our office does layoffs I'd rather be job hunting with a PEng rather than an EIT

ExtraSlow
07-27-2015, 02:21 PM
True story, if you are job hunting, it is a leg up to be a P.Eng. and every little bit helps.

turbotrip
07-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Just for future reference, you don't need to be under a P.Eng for the 4 years, and don't need all 3 references to be P.Eng's. 3 is preferrable, but only 1 is mandatory.

Hero_X
07-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Just for future reference, you don't need to be under a P.Eng for the 4 years, and don't need all 3 references to be P.Eng's. 3 is preferrable, but only 1 is mandatory.

Is this really true? Where did you find this info?

It would reaally help me out because my current lead that i work under isn't a P.Eng.

My manager is but he's being a little bitch and won't give me a reference since I haven't worked directly under him.

I'm in an EPC, and for the most part I've done technical work. It's just matter of finding someone who will give me a good reference....:banghead:

H4LFY2nR
07-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Hero_X

It would reaally help me out because my current lead that i work under isn't a P.Eng.

My manager is but he's being a little bitch and won't give me a reference since I haven't worked directly under him.

I'm in an EPC, and for the most part I've done technical work. It's just matter of finding someone who will give me a good reference....:banghead:

Sounds like your manager's a dick lol. If you report up to him with only one lead in between he should be able to verify your experience record. It's not like he had to sign off on everything you've ever prepared. Plus, I've never heard of anyone's references actually getting questioned over the phone. Your references essentially click an online survey with the option 'Yes, I agree that the applicant has accurately described their experience and I recommend them for P.Eng designation.'

I would suggest listing your current lead as your "Supervisor", and find a more senior P.Eng colleague that is willing and able to be listed as your "Reference" on the experience record. I did that for one of my records where my direct supervisor was not a P.Eng and I had no problems. At an EPC I'm sure there were subject matter experts that you consulted that would vouch for your technical experience, even if they were consultants themselves.

lasimmon
07-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Only require 1 P. Eng Reference. I believe it says so right on the application. I only had 1 on mine.

pheoxs
07-28-2015, 09:48 AM
I have my application active now. It asks for a Supervisor and then there is a place for one Reference as well. There's no room for 3 references (unless you listed them below in the extra space I guess)

lasimmon
07-28-2015, 10:05 AM
I have my application active now. It asks for a Supervisor and then there is a place for one Reference as well. There's no room for 3 references (unless you listed them below in the extra space I guess)

If you are using 2 references from the same job you have to make another copy of the page and change the reference... It's stupid.

Hero_X
07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Another question:

My first supervisor was a P.Eng. He's no longer with the company. Can I still use him as a reference? His email will obviously give away that he's no longer with the company.

Can I use him as a reference for all 3 years I've been with the EPC? I mean he knows the type of work I do....

killramos
07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Another question:

My first supervisor was a P.Eng. He's no longer with the company. Can I still use him as a reference? His email will obviously give away that he's no longer with the company.

Can I use him as a reference for all 3 years I've been with the EPC? I mean he knows the type of work I do....

You need to have 3 supervisors that cover your 4 years of listed experience. From what i can tell it doesn't matter whether its a month with 1 guy 3 years with another etc. as long as it adds up to 3 supervisors over 4 years.

I think.

bjstare
07-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Another question:

Doesn't matter if he's left the company. If his only email is a personal email, you'll need to get snail mail contact info for him - they will only contact references through snail mail or a "professional email". 2 of my 5 references are no longer with the company.

And to any EITs out there reading this - keep track of your references. Get their personal info if they (or you) wind up leaving the company. I didn't do this with a couple of co-op term references, and I would be a p.eng by now had I gotten more contact info from them.

H4LFY2nR
07-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

And to any EITs out there reading this - keep track of your references. Get their personal info if they (or you) wind up leaving the company. I didn't do this with a couple of co-op term references, and I would be a p.eng by now had I gotten more contact info from them.

Best advice in this thread. I'll just add, try to keep in touch with your references in case their phone numbers/emails change. Just a yearly coffee, phone call, or email to shoot the shit goes a long way.

lasimmon
07-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by killramos

You need to have 3 supervisors that cover your 4 years of listed experience. From what i can tell it doesn't matter whether its a month with 1 guy 3 years with another etc. as long as it adds up to 3 supervisors over 4 years.

I think.

They don't even need to be a supervisor. I had 2 jobs in the 4 years. Used my supervisor in both jobs, then a P. Ag. at my current job as a third.

killramos
07-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

They don't even need to be a supervisor. I had 2 jobs in the 4 years. Used my supervisor in both jobs, then a P. Ag. at my current job as a third.

Sorry, perhaps the term reference would be better. IN many cases a supervisor but not necessarily as you mentioned.

lasimmon
07-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Sorry, perhaps the term reference would be better. IN many cases a supervisor but not necessarily as you mentioned.

Which is kind of silly anyways. The way they have it on the sheets is a little convoluted. They probably spend all their time fielding calls because their system isn't straight forward.

turbotrip
07-29-2015, 05:48 PM

It clearly says in the PDF package on their website that shows you how to fill out the application. After reading it, I called APEGA and they confirmed on the phone too

vw_rabbit2.5
08-12-2015, 02:18 PM
I wrote my experience in point form as well. Another good tip is to try to use action words, such as:
- calculated ____ to determine ___
- ran ___ program to evaluate ___

Be careful of using words such as assisted, prepared, etc. They want you do demonstrate that you are making decisions rather than just gathering data, data crunching, drafting plans, etc. These tasks would fall under Technologist level experience, which APEGA does allow up to 12 months of.

Also, as always with references, make sure you speak with your references first and get permission from them to use their name as a reference. There's nothing worse than having a reference not know who you are.

killramos
08-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Which is kind of silly anyways. The way they have it on the sheets is a little convoluted. They probably spend all their time fielding calls because their system isn't straight forward.

Yea it would be much better for all involved if EIT's just had to fill them out year by year at renewal or something. Less chance of losing touch with references, you actually remember what you are doing. And they can just record that year as completed or worth 12 months or something.

Then they can give you a little check mark on their website when they have recorded that you have completed your experience portion. Check mark for completed your exam. etc etc.

I guess the solution would be to fill them out every year yourself and just save them for final submission. Not a bad idea actually.

pheoxs
08-12-2015, 02:29 PM

I guess the solution would be to fill them out every year yourself and just save them for final submission. Not a bad idea actually.

I'd like to see it done year by year as you said because tracking down references is being a PITA.

Also you can't fill it out every year yourself unfortunately. You have to pay for the application before it opens up and you can fill things in. Once you've started it you need to submit it within 6 months or you have to restart (and repay) all over again

killramos
08-12-2015, 02:36 PM

I'd like to see it done year by year as you said because tracking down references is being a PITA.

Also you can't fill it out every year yourself unfortunately. You have to pay for the application before it opens up and you can fill things in. Once you've started it you need to submit it within 6 months or you have to restart (and repay) all over again

I feel like i have seen a fillable spreadsheet on the website? Maybe im wrong.

vw_rabbit2.5
08-12-2015, 04:05 PM
In previous years, you were able to download the spreadsheet and keep updating it each year. At my company, EITs are required to meet with their P. Eng supervisors every year to review the work they did.

lilmira
08-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Yeah, there used to be a spreadsheet. I suspect that you may be able to submit the information directly now since you can apply online.

diamondedge
08-13-2015, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Yeah, there used to be a spreadsheet. I suspect that you may be able to submit the information directly now since you can apply online.

Yes. Clunky AF form on the website. I did it back in November 2014.

pheoxs
10-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. Has anyone applied for their PEng recently? Any idea how long it took?

Expecting a few months but I've heard some people took 6 or more. Mine's still early on, waiting for references to respond to the questionaires but really hoping it'll be done early in the new year.

mazdavirgin
10-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. Has anyone applied for their PEng recently? Any idea how long it took?

Expecting a few months but I've heard some people took 6 or more. Mine's still early on, waiting for references to respond to the questionaires but really hoping it'll be done early in the new year.

If your references drag their feet or don't respond promptly it will take 6+ months. Otherwise it's usually about 3 months from date of submission as they do the reviews every 3 months as long as you don't miss the window... The process is explained on their website as an FYI.

pheoxs
10-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

If your references drag their feet or don't respond promptly it will take 6+ months. Otherwise it's usually about 3 months from date of submission as they do the reviews every 3 months as long as you don't miss the window... The process is explained on their website as an FYI.

Thanks, I read the site, but I've heard mixed answers on how long it takes due to backlog. Also the email I got when I submitted it said due to backlog it will be a minimum of 1 month before they'd look at my application.

If they are able to actually get through them every 3 months thats not bad then.

lasimmon
10-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Once the references get in it will tell you what month you are being reviewed in. Then you will hear the following month.

Easy as that.

Also they do reviews every month except December and August if I remember correctly.

XylathaneGTR
10-22-2015, 12:43 PM
I applied in the early June, received P.Eng early August. My references were quick to review and approve my experience record and it was in APEGAs review the following month.

I think they're really working to keep those times realistic...no more 8-month in process bullshit.

Disoblige
10-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Basically, your goal is to get it to internal review as quick as possible. If your references haven't finished replying yet, it won't be in internal review and that will delay your process since that part is on your references to do and not APEGA.

The new website will not tell you what month you are being reviewed in. You simply have no idea and can only check the website on your status update as "complete" or "incomplete" in each respective stage.

After your references all replied and your coordinator acknowledges it, I believe it goes:
Internal Review -> Experience Examiner (and/or Academic Examiner) -> Board Approval

Seems based on Xylathane it only takes a couple months if all your stuff is in order. It took my friends ~4 months after their references were acknowledged, so I would say APEGA's process has improved.

pheoxs
10-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
I applied in the early June, received P.Eng early August. My references were quick to review and approve my experience record and it was in APEGAs review the following month.

I think they're really working to keep those times realistic...no more 8-month in process bullshit.

Originally posted by Disoblige
Basically, your goal is to get it to internal review as quick as possible. If your references haven't finished replying yet, it won't be in internal review and that will delay your process since that part is on your references to do and not APEGA.

The new website will not tell you what month you are being reviewed in. You simply have no idea and can only check the website on your status update as "complete" or "incomplete" in each respective stage.

After your references all replied and your coordinator acknowledges it, I believe it goes:
Internal Review -> Experience Examiner (and/or Academic Examiner) -> Board Approval

Seems based on Xylathane it only takes a couple months if all your stuff is in order. It took my friends ~4 months after their references were acknowledged, so I would say APEGA's process has improved.

That helps, thank you!

lasimmon
10-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

How long ago did you go through the process?

It most certainly has told me and my friends recently what month we were going to be reviewed in and almost all of us heard either yay/nay by the 10th of the next month.

Disoblige
10-23-2015, 03:34 PM

It most certainly has told me and my friends recently what month we were going to be reviewed in and almost all of us heard either yay/nay by the 10th of the next month.
Friend of mine showed me his status as we chatted briefly about it.

Here's what it should look like with the new layout:
http://s28.postimg.org/hz7f0v3qj/Example_05.png

There might be a field after that says it's for board review, but I'm not sure if it would say the actual date instead of just "In Progress".

killramos
11-30-2016, 02:06 PM
So I just started this along with a couple of Geo's from work. I was chatting with a buddy and he was saying to me that APEGA is now sitting at 6-9 months delay. One of the problems is that due to layoffs there are a lot of people trying to apply with references that have to be contacted by mail due to APEGA not accepting references with generic ( gmail, hotmail type) email addresses. So I decided to get my application in ASAP despite just squeaking in in terms of work experience requirements. I figure by the time they take 6 months to process the application it won't matter.

So to answer some questions about the current system if anyone is interested:

Once you start your application you have 90 days to complete it, it even tells you what date you need to submit the application by otherwise your application is deleted. You do NOT need to pay to start the application only to submit it. So if you are coming up on your time in the next month or 2 feel free to start your application so that you can work on it over time. I am personally finding the Work Experience Record to be very time consuming, good way to kill a few hours at work if you are bored. You can save it whenever and come back to it alter via the website. Kind of irritating to use but could be worse.

This applicant guide really spells it out nicely:
https://www.apega.ca/assets/PDFs/applicant-guide.pdf
It even has samples of the WER so in theory if you want to be a keen you can prepare those sections in word or something in advance and copy them in once you start the application.

One of the big things is the not accepting generic emails so make sure if your bosses have retired or are unemployed you get their home addresses for APEGA to contact them at.

As a note they are switching to a new system in the first few months of the new year. They will be doing competency based assessments. If your timing is coming up in the next few months its basically your choice as to which application you want to go with.

https://www.apega.ca/news/competency-based-assessments/

Personally I think the old system seems more general and puts the onus on them rather than you to determine whether your work experience meets their requirements for "engineering" work. Hence I have started my application using the old system rather than waiting until March. Fun fact is that Geo's don't have to do a competency assessment :rolleyes:

I just want this to be over and get back to just giving them my money once a year to leave me alone.

edit: Yea even Apega is admitting your application is going to take literally forever to process.

DELAYS IN PROCESSING APPLICATIONS Jun 7, 2016
In late 2015, the APEGA Registration Department was operating short staffed for a period due to unexpected staff departures. This unfortunately resulted in delays in the processing of applicant files. Replacement staff members were on-boarded in early 2016 and are working diligently to get through the delayed applicant files. If your file is presently in the Pre-Review, Review, or Examiner status, you may notice that your file is not progressing. These are the areas in which files are presently delayed and on which we are focused. We ask for your patience. We are sensitive to the state of both the economy and industry. Please know that APEGA staff and the Board of Examiners have a high commitment to ensuring application files are reviewed appropriately and in a timely manner. We are working as quickly as we can. The current expected timeline to complete an application is six to twelve months after all required documents are received by APEGA.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-30-2016, 03:03 PM
So I just started this along with a couple of Geo's from work. I was chatting with a buddy and he was saying to me that APEGA is now sitting at 6-9 months delay.

edit: Yea even Apega is admitting your application is going to take literally forever to process.

Even 6-9 months is slightly optimistic. I submitted in January and it's still under review.

schurchill39
11-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Even 6-9 months is slightly optimistic. I submitted in January and it's still under review.

I did mine a year ago and it was 6 months at that time. And that was right in the middle of the time they said they it was 6-9 months. I keep hounding the wife to apply but she's really dragging ass on it.

killramos
11-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Honestly there is nothing really on the table for me once I get mine so the delay doesn't really bother me. A buddy of mine is at a reserve auditor though and it makes a VERY material difference to his bottom line to be able to bill as a professional which really sucks.

Just makes them come off as even more of a joke than they already are.

My only hope is that they just start glossing over the experience requirements a bit in order to catch up but based on the delays continuing as long as they have I won't hold my breath.

bjstare
11-30-2016, 04:07 PM

My only hope is that they just start glossing over the experience requirements a bit in order to catch up but based on the delays continuing as long as they have I won't hold my breath.

You, my friend, are hilarious.

My application sat at the experience examiner stage for nearly 6 months. I followed up to the extent that I was speaking with the review board coordinators, and magically the week after that, my application was slated for review.

schurchill, I dunno if I have any specific useful advice, but tell your wife to stop dragging ass. Its not that hard to do, and it could take forever to get through all the approval stages. It sucks to be in a position where it would be very beneficial to you to have, but you know you have 6 months waiting time left, since your shit is only halfway to being approved. I know from experience.

If there was one thing I'd say to all the EITs, it's start this application as early as reasonably possible, and get it in the queue. Shit takes forever sometimes.

The real kicker is, my buddy submitted a month before me - his took 3 months, start to end. Mine took the better part of a year. fcking apega. They frustrate me to no end.

pheoxs
11-30-2016, 04:48 PM
They've caught up substantially. My coworker got her references in in September and this week moved to pending board approval so 2-3 month lead time now.

I did mine almost a year before her and ended up with my PEng 4 months earlier, silly system.

killramos
11-30-2016, 05:08 PM

You, my friend, are hilarious.

It's weird, somehow I feel they are going to frown upon me counting sitting on beyond for 16 months arguing about whether or not Stephen Harper is a fascist as professional level engineering experience.

:rofl:

I wonder if "sat in my office filling out these stupid APEGA forms" counts?

bjstare
11-30-2016, 06:10 PM

It's weird, somehow I feel they are going to frown upon me counting sitting on beyond for 16 months arguing about whether or not Stephen Harper is a fascist as professional level engineering experience.

I wonder if "sat in my office filling out these stupid APEGA forms" counts?

Depends if that was done under the supervision of a current professional member. :rofl:

killramos
11-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Depends if that was done under the supervision of a current professional member. :rofl:

Oh I'm solid then :thumbsup:

killramos
12-01-2016, 02:53 PM
So does anyone on here have any tips and tricks on how to make a business development role sounds like professional engineering experience?

Does Apega really give two shits about these stupid records? Or is it mostly about your references checking out?

Because of course the examples Apega likes to give are all about determining machinery specifications, material science selection, drawing creation. All that stereotypical engineering stuff that no one who works in O&G actually does.

Looking back on what I have actually done work wise over the past 12-24 months is depressing. :banghead:

So jealous of my geo coworkers right now...

"I looked at logs and created thickness mapping for our plays, I then updated said maps using logs from new wells we drilled. Repeat

Every few weeks we went to the core lab to look at rocks as an excuse to drink beer on company time at lunch"

R154
12-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Depends. Did you create models and use specific quantitative measurement analytics in order to determine business units?

Does your work directly or loosely relate to your area of academic credential?

Did you have any involvement in project management?

killramos
12-01-2016, 03:05 PM
At the end of the day economic models based on play/well performance and financial records. Statistical determination of well performance based on offsetting analogues and assesed risk.

Large scale scoping of potential acquisition targets based on production rates and cum potential across the WCSB. High grading for closer looks.

It's pretty loose stuff from an apega standpoint based on their criteria but we had a team of 3 engineers working on this and it was real work with real value.

I have a mechanical engineering degree.

Trying to describe this stuff the way they want I haven't spewed this much bs since high school English.

My reservoir engineering roles are solid from an apega standpoint, very science driven and describing multiphase fluid flow through porous media and productivity-pressure-time relationships.

It's my business development role that is the problem.

R154
12-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Pretty much the same boat I was in. Except I was working alone with no engineers on technical bid submissions. Electrical to boot. I'm a mechanical.

Ultimately they counted my experience at a 0.75 factor. I had to fight with the coordinator for another 1.5 years.

I ended up contracting with another electro mechanical firm on weekends under direct supervision for a year and a half. I had to get the contracting company to release me from their NC to get it done.

Speak with a coordinator asap. And ask your boss if he can give you supplementary work that is more technical in nature.

killramos
12-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Well I'm not doing business dev anymore which is good in that respect. Doing my super sciency job again (which I hate) but apega will eat it up, lots of correlations and theory to apply. Numerical simulations, calculations they love that. Never provided an ounce of value to the company but whatever. Those parts of my record (30/50 months) I am good. My summer student work (mechanical specs for pump selection and pump jack sizing etc. Which is another 8 months which I listed as 50% tech level due to being a student ) is good too. It's my last 12 months of business work that could hurt me. It's a job that ultimately only engineers do, but they will likely frown upon the "engineering" being done. Somehow i don't think they will consider exponential decay curve fitting and some statistical plots good enough for them

Whatever it's going to take them a year to look at my file anyways.

this is an ok example of the kind of work i was doing in a general sense:
http://jobdescriptionandresumeexamples.com/business-development-engineer-job-description-example/

At the end of the day one of the reasons I am so disappointed in my engineering degree is the simple fact that almost nothing i see any engineers doing in O&G for an E&P company really is engineering or do you need an engineering degree to do.

lasimmon
12-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Considering I got 100% credit for a lot of my quasi "engineer" work I wouldn't be concerned.

dandia89
12-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Have any of you got solid salary bumps or position bumps with your new P.Eng?

I'm currently working as an Estimator with not a single P.Eng in my department, but I hope to sell it as qualified work experience. I'm probably doing more related engineering work than my other two jobs that had engineering titles and supervisors

lasimmon
12-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

I'm currently working as an Estimator with not a single P.Eng in my department, but I hope to sell it as qualified work experience. I'm probably doing more related engineering work than my other two jobs that had engineering titles and supervisors

Didn't get either when I got my designation.

Also your reference doesn't necessarily have to be a P. Eng. so it shouldn't limit your ability to claim it as experience.

R154
12-01-2016, 03:53 PM
More responsibility. Same ish pay. Made me more attractive for hired gun contracts and my own side consultancy.

killramos
12-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Considering I got 100% credit for a lot of my quasi "engineer" work I wouldn't be concerned.

What do/did you do if you don't mind me asking?

lasimmon
12-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Oilfield service field work. Logging mostly.

pheoxs
12-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

I didn't when I got it in sept but told because it was so late in the year the budgets were set. Once January comes they'll put in a req for a raise.

Whether that happens or 'times are too tough right now' we'll see.

bjstare
12-01-2016, 06:54 PM
When I was in the EPC inustry, it was commonplace to get bumped from a B to C level when you got your P.Eng (and get the corresponding raise). Having said that, when the time came, they did everything they could to weasel out of it.

Where I'm working now, they don't care if you have a P.Eng, and don't use APEGA averages for guidelines.

Killramos - if you weren't doing technical stuff, but you can write it up so you were still analyzing/problem solving, it should be fine. It might be tough, but I'm sure you're not the only one working at an O&G company that's had to use stuff like that on their application.

killramos
12-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Just spent the evening with a few old colleagues including a few references explaining my situation so hopefully they will be kind once they get the call from apega which is all you can hope for.

I realize I am not that out of the ordinary in town I am just irritated that they rules and regulations are so formalized but at the end of the day it's just a checkbox on my life over the past 4 years. I try to take my work seriously and his just makes it seem like a bit of a joke.

bjstare
12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I feel ya. The thing is, you gotta try and not let it get to you. I went through a couple years where I felt similarly, but you'll reach a point (soonish, likely), where you'll realize the things you were doing actually did matter, and you'll benefit from putting the time in and taking it seriously. You're going to be reaching a point in your career soon where you can experience rapid growth and development, if you're a hard worker, just use that to stay motivated. That's what i did, anyhow. /derail

tl;dr - even if it seems like your hard work is being marginalised, it will pay off.

RT16V
12-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Just spent the evening with a few old colleagues including a few references explaining my situation so hopefully they will be kind once they get the call from apega which is all you can hope for.

I realize I am not that out of the ordinary in town I am just irritated that they rules and regulations are so formalized but at the end of the day it's just a checkbox on my life over the past 4 years. I try to take my work seriously and his just makes it seem like a bit of a joke.

Dude. Chill. This is such a non-issue. You will not even remember that you cared about things in 10 years.

pheoxs
12-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by RT16V

Dude. Chill. This is such a non-issue. You will not even remember that you cared about things in 10 years.

Yeah, plus I think he's over thinking the process. Your references get like a 6 question yes or no questionaire and a spot for overall comments (which I've seen people not even fill in sheesh)

Keep in mind you can also have up to 12 months experience is non engineering work if it's sort of applicable (say technologist work or in your case statistical analysis)

killramos
12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Yea thanks guys, was drunk as a skunk when i wrote that last one. Just need to fill out the forms best I can and get this behind me. Yes i do have a tendency to overthink things.

Found out one of my references is currently kicking around North Africa or something working so thats going to be an experience trying to get him to respond to a reference request.

bjstare
12-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Yea thanks guys, was drunk as a skunk when i wrote that last one. Just need to fill out the forms best I can and get this behind me. Yes i do have a tendency to overthink things.

Found out one of my references is currently kicking around North Africa or something working so thats going to be an experience trying to get him to respond to a reference request.

I never feel the need to go on beyond when I've been drinking, always something better to attract my attention haha. That's true commitment.

Also, good luck with that. Just pray that the reference has a company email, so you they don't have to provide the reference through snail mail.

Protip: assuming your references have good things to say and aren't going to sewer you, ask them for a copy of their submittal. It can possibly provide useful info on your personal strengths (for a resume, job application, etc.) you may not have thought of.

killramos
12-02-2016, 12:43 PM
I was bored in the back of a cab :rofl:

Yea if he really is in Africa without a company email then I might just have to list him as supervisor and find someone else to do the formal reference ( up chain of command or something ). I have plenty of other professional references so it could really be anyone who was around while I was working there.

Good Tip! I will be sure to do that!

schurchill39
12-02-2016, 04:04 PM

Yeah, plus I think he's over thinking the process. Your references get like a 6 question yes or no questionaire and a spot for overall comments (which I've seen people not even fill in sheesh)

Keep in mind you can also have up to 12 months experience is non engineering work if it's sort of applicable (say technologist work or in your case statistical analysis)

Nailed it. Wayyyyyyy overthinking it. Get out a thesaurus and fancy up what you do. Easy peasy.

seadog
12-05-2016, 10:58 AM
I did mine about 20 months ago, took about 2 months to get to the reference stage, one dragged his feet for 6 frigging months, so didn't proceed past then until a year ago. Then my profile updated and said everything was received, and would be sent to the board (January), so at least with me as of a year ago it said when it was going to the board. Then got my letter early Feb.

My references, one was a coworker (but much more senior) P.Eng, one was a P.Eng coworker from 2008, who wasn't a P.Eng at the time, similar level, one was a non-professional boss from Asia when I was working there, and one was a non-professional junior engineer from the states I mentored, who had since moved into supervisory role.

My exact work was largely oil field services as well (logging), and they made no mention of partial credit, but I did have 7.5 yrs.

Like others, I was concerned since 2/4 of my references weren't P.Eng (3/4 at the time they worked with me), and 3/4 were not supervisors, and my work was borderline engineering, you could even argue the needle tilted towards tech work, but honestly once all the boxes were ticked it was pretty painless.

killramos
01-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Put in my application this morning, out of my hands now. Went 3 levels up the chain of command for one of my summer jobs before getting fed up and just getting someone who was more peripheral to sign off that I was there and that sounds like about what i was doing. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty close contact with most of my former coworkers but never really clicked with anyone while in that role, they all mostly seemed like having students in their group was a nuisance. Which we probably were...

In particular my old manager there won't return my emails despite getting in contact with him through a mutual friend. Maybe it had something to do with him being let go while i was working for him :rolleyes:

Oh well, clock starts today. For anyone's interest I will try to come back to this post and give updates to my timeline as they come. I have 2 references by snail mail ( layoffs are a bitch ).

edit: So updates on this for anyone who is interested on current timing, all others just ignore:

About 2 days after putting ( Jan 22 ) in my application i checked my status that was saying my academic records were missing, which was stupid since I'm already a registered EIT. Anyhow a quick phone call in and the guy was able to put me directly in the application queue over the phone. So definitely something to check as that could have taken them quite a while to resolve on their own.

Now today ( Feb 1 ) I have started getting emails saying my character declaration and my work experience record has been accepted and my references have been sent the questionnaire. I didn't expect to get to this step until the summer by the way people were talking.

That's pretty fricken fast if I say so myself so maybe they have churned through the backlog?

lasimmon
01-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Based on what friends have said recently I would expect 3-6 months till you get your letters unless there are issues.

killramos
01-20-2017, 10:14 AM
I honestly have no expectations, hard to be disappointed that way lol.

The letters literally mean nothing to me right now I just wanted to get the application in while I can still expense it.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2017, 11:25 AM
The letters behind your name don't matter much for performing most jobs, or for betting promotions, but they are extremely handy when you are applying for jobs.

killramos
02-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Put in my application this morning, out of my hands now. Went 3 levels up the chain of command for one of my summer jobs before getting fed up and just getting someone who was more peripheral to sign off that I was there and that sounds like about what i was doing. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty close contact with most of my former coworkers but never really clicked with anyone while in that role, they all mostly seemed like having students in their group was a nuisance. Which we probably were...

In particular my old manager there won't return my emails despite getting in contact with him through a mutual friend. Maybe it had something to do with him being let go while i was working for him :rolleyes:

Oh well, clock starts today. For anyone's interest I will try to come back to this post and give updates to my timeline as they come. I have 2 references by snail mail ( layoffs are a bitch ).

edit: So updates on this for anyone who is interested on current timing, all others just ignore:

About 2 days after putting ( Jan 22 ) in my application i checked my status that was saying my academic records were missing, which was stupid since I'm already a registered EIT. Anyhow a quick phone call in and the guy was able to put me directly in the application queue over the phone. So definitely something to check as that could have taken them quite a while to resolve on their own.

Now today ( Feb 1 ) I have started getting emails saying my character declaration and my work experience record has been accepted and my references have been sent the questionnaire. I didn't expect to get to this step until the summer by the way people were talking.

That's pretty fricken fast if I say so myself so maybe they have churned through the backlog?

I have also been assigned to a coordinator and everything outstanding is being live tracked on the website.

bjstare
02-01-2017, 04:41 PM

I have also been assigned to a coordinator and everything outstanding is being live tracked on the website.

Thats pretty standard. Those steps occurred right away with mine as well. The big backlog/time sucker is the experience examiner and review board (they're the last of the ~8 or 10 stages it has to go through).

Sorry to piss in your cornflakes, but you aren't even close to knowing if you have a fast application process :rofl:

killramos
02-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Hilarious, well whatever it doesn't really bother me. Getting the questionnaires out sooner actually helps me with some timing stuff with my references so ill take that as the positive and call it a day.

Gives me something to occupy my mind haha

bjstare
02-01-2017, 05:08 PM
:thumbsup:

pheoxs
02-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Yeah thats about normal. Mine was:

Apply
A couple days - References sent out
2.5 months of hounding my twat of a reference to fill out the stupid survey
5 months of being reviewed because of the backlog
1 month of review completed and will go in front of the board at the next meeting (usually around the 15th of the following month)
Got my PEng.

Total time ~9 months but a large chunk of that was wasted on a reference not doing the survey. One of my coworkers just got hers and she did it 3 months end to end. They appear to have caught up on a lot of the backlog and are processing applications faster now.

killramos
05-01-2017, 02:47 PM
So... how many months later? Apega is just acknowledging they have all my references. Be careful who you ask to sign off on you kids...

Apparently the 12-18 month clocks starts now :rofl:

Engineering is the worst.

pheoxs
05-01-2017, 02:49 PM
So... how many months later? Apega is just acknowledging they have all my references. Be careful who you ask to sign off on you kids...

Apparently the 12-18 month clocks starts now :rofl:

Engineering is the worst.

Its been quicker lately. My co-worker got hers done late fall and it was only about 2 months from when her references were all in. Not sure if thats changed since then.

killramos
05-01-2017, 02:54 PM
The 12-18 months was right from the horses mouth in their email today. Though probably a gross overestimate agreed.

I just hope they don't come back to me on anything cause that is what will eat up time.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Yeah, tracking down your references and getting them to actually respond is by far the worst part of the process.

bjstare
05-01-2017, 05:37 PM
For me, the references was the easiest part. Chalk it up to active networking I suppose.

APEGA just sucked the hind tit on the review process for mine.

killramos
05-01-2017, 08:33 PM
It was one reference without a company email that brought it down to a crawl for me. So they mailed it to him. Then he want to Hawaii for a month and a half. :rofl:

Oh well it's done now. Ironically now I am at a point where the PEng could really help me for work and I need to get it to have a chance of promotion.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Yeah, non-email references can really slow things down. I had 2 that had to be done by mail, and that added probably an extra month. Finally got mine, in total it took about 15 months.

schurchill39
05-02-2017, 07:03 AM
My wife's was surprisingly fast. She submitted hers mid January and she got her P.Eng mid April.

pheoxs
05-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Kind of off topic. Would anyone happen to have a copy of the salary survey? Just noticed they charge you for it now. Even a previous years version is fine, just want to read through the different responsibility levels and how the scores work. Would prefer an old copy over the new excel document they have up.

schurchill39
05-29-2017, 09:07 PM
You can still get the summary at the website. I was just looking at it last night
https://www.apega.ca/assets/PDFs/salary-survey-highlights.pdf

ExtraSlow
05-29-2017, 09:09 PM
There was a points-based system for determining exactly what responsibility level you fell into, it was about ten pages of info just for that. I don't have a copy around.

pheoxs
05-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
You can still get the summary at the website. I was just looking at it last night

Yeah but the new summary just has the chart of the different levels. The old full publication has a full breakdown spanning many pages about the different levels. Curious to see them more detailed breakdown

killramos
07-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Well after more than a few headaches I got processed to the "Case to Board" phase this afternoon, just in time for them to not meet in July hahaha. Oh well looks like some time in September is going to be my time frame.

Only 5 and a half months from submitting to this point...

Buster
07-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Interesting. I don't work in O+G, and have limited involvement in the industry as a whole other than just living here. I thought engineers hit $200k more often and earlier than the data here suggest.

killramos
07-06-2017, 03:31 PM
^ Well based on that data. Do you really think 1.2 million is the maximum total compensation for the top paid PEng in alberta?

I have no idea where APEGA gets this information but I have a feeling it is extremely incomplete.

For example Steve Laut, PEng

https://www.apega.ca/members/member-directory/?q=laut

Made 5.2 Million last year

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/cp-rails-hunter-harrison-tops-list-of-calgarys-best-paid-executives

Interesting was how far I had to go down that list to find an engineer who was actually listed as a PEng. I wonder why that is...

Buster
07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
I dont think the min/max numbers in a voluntary survey would be that interesting, accurate, or instructive. But the middle stuff is probably decently accurate.