PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Winter ski commuter

Redlyne_mr2
07-28-2015, 10:57 PM
I seem to have a car for every duty so may as well get another one. i get out to the hills 60+ days a year and I want to keep the kms and wear down on my SUV so I need something with good gas mileage that can handle some snow.

Ive been looking at older Foresters, Jetta wagons, jdm toyotas, etc. Looking to only spend $2000 - $3000, anyone on here selling something interesting that fits the above criteria?

silvercivicsir
07-29-2015, 01:22 PM
wow 60+ days? I thought I went out a lot at 25+ days.. I got my self a 2001 Acura Integra auto to get me to Lake Louise this year.

corsvette
07-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Buy this. It's all kinds of cool and you'll have the only one in the parking lot. Plus, it's probably more reliable than any Sooby or VW.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-toyota-van-le/1090632698?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Buy this. It's all kinds of cool and you'll have the only one in the parking lot. Plus, it's probably more reliable than any Sooby or VW.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-toyota-van-le/1090632698?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Ya I spend a huge amount of time on that highway, my truck got plastered by gravel and shields aren't cheap on Benz's.

That van is cool but I already have a eurovan for my van life needs, on top of that those toyotas are rwd and are super sketchy on the highway in the winter lol.

Paul
07-30-2015, 09:00 AM
I had an old AWD Mazda MPV, thing was awesome in the winter, tons of room for gear, back 2 benches fold flat into a bed even. I paid $2500 a couple years ago.

ExtraSlow
07-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Old Legacy wagon, buy some Nokian snow tires, pure win.
There are several on Kijiji newer than 2000 in your price range.

soloracer
08-02-2015, 12:44 PM
I have a 1999 4matic 320 Mercedes wagon I would let go for $700. Has some rust and needs a little TLC but for the price I think it is would be a good winter beater. Engine runs good and transmission shifts fine. Brakes vibrate a little but it might just be from sitting for a while. The only big thing I know of that it needs is the heater control doesn't work. Even comes with a brand new $400 key from Mercedes.

toastgremlin
08-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Foresters carry a pretty ridiculous price premium; Legacies/Outbacks and Imprezas are a more inexpensive option that would probably work better.

I'd sell my Impreza to you but I've had no luck trying to find a nicer one to upgrade to lately.

03ozwhip
08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
My in laws are going to sell their 2003 GMC Envoy for 3k I think If you're interested in something like that...

Dumbass17
08-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Reads OPs first message. Reads OPs signature... :confused:

Redlyne_mr2
08-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Reads OPs first message. Reads OPs signature... :confused:

No one trades in low value cars that are decent , they sell them on kijii in minutes and the ones at auction are pure junk.

Canmorite
08-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Old Legacy wagon, buy some Nokian snow tires, pure win.
There are several on Kijiji newer than 2000 in your price range.

Gotta agree here. You know I had two subie wagons, one with Hakka's and it was unstoppable. Forester has more room though and a bit higher off the ground! Outbacks are decent too, just don't get the H6, get the 4-banger.

tomt64
08-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I own subaru wagons which I love in the winter, but the EJ25 engines have many problems.

Head gaskets should be changed to the mls versions if it hasnt already been done. Many clearances problems [piston wrist pin, piston slap when cold, main and con rod bearings etc] Timing belt, water pump and all pullies should be changed together. Wheel bearings are sometimes a problem but not a huge deal. Even though the engines arent the best, with a set of decent winter tires they are so much fun in the snow. I have never been stuck in the mountains with them. The gas mileage is also a plus, also has enough pep to overtake on the highway.
Good luck on the search.