PDA

View Full Version : Calgary man dies after van leaves road, lands in northeast retention pond

rob the knob
08-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Calgary man dies after van leaves road, lands in northeast retention pond 3

BY BRYAN PASSIFIUME, CALGARY SUN
FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 01, 2015 02:46 AM MDT

Speed is considered a factor in a deadly crash that sent a vehicle flying 25 metres through the air into a northeast Calgary retention pond.

It was a little after 10 p.m. Friday night when witnesses saw a silver minivan travelling at a high rate of speed westbound on Saddlehorn Dr. at Saddleridge Dr. N.E.

Upon reaching the end of Saddlehorn Dr., the vehicle mounted the curb, crossing the sidewalk and launching it off a grassy embankment leading to the pond's edge.

From there, momentum carried the vehicle 25 metres through the air, over a walking path and directly into the water.

Speaking to media at the scene, traffic Sgt. Paul Schweyer said the body of the driver, a 22-year-old male, was recovered from under the water's surface by Calgary Fire Department divers.

Schweyer said reports suggesting the driver had climbed from the vehicle and fled the scene prior to police arrival were incorrect.

"Witnesses on scene gave conflicting reports," he said.

"When fire ultimately discovered the body in the water, that was our conclusion — along with positive identification by the family at the hospital."

While darkness and murky water prevented divers from performing a proper search, he said investigators believe the driver was the car's only occupant.

Schweyer said the vehicle was found about 15 metres from shore, completely submerged under about 2 1/2 metres of water.

Search crews plan to perform a thorough search of the water Saturday morning.

rage2
08-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Just street viewed that street. WTF? Stunt gone bad? It would have gone over some trees too. :eek:

Unknown303
08-01-2015, 08:34 AM
Ban retention ponds!

rx7boi
08-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Story made me lol.

J-D
08-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Just street viewed that street. WTF? Stunt gone bad? It would have gone over some trees too. :eek:

I was expecting a sharp corner on a steep overpass or something, not a suburban T-intersection :confused:

xnvy
08-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Lmao, how do you do that? Link (https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.128506,-113.952058,3a,90y,261.71h,69.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV0KRr7P5rQ98FdXv4DfLlw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) on Google Maps for those interested.

Darwin award or something maybe?

rx7_turbo2
08-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Probably a case of "Whiskey Throttle":eek:

rob the knob
08-02-2015, 09:11 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/gurinder-dhaliwal-dies-in-saddleridge-pond-crash-1.3176720

Gurinder Dhaliwal dies in Saddleridge pond crash
Dodge Caravan was travelling westbound on Saddlehorn Drive N.E. when incident happened
CBC News Posted: Aug 01, 2015 8:49 AM MT Last Updated: Aug 01, 2015 3:02 PM MT

Divers from the Calgary Fire Department recovered the man from the vehicle. He was transported to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Gurinder Dhaliwal died after the vehicle he was driving plunged into a pond in Calgary's northeast.

Police say the 22-year-old, who was also known as Garry, failed to turn with the road and launched off Saddlehorn Drive — travelling through the air before hitting the water — around 10 p.m. Friday night in a residential area.

Bystanders attempted to save the man but were unable to complete the rescue.

Duffy Pruyn was among those looking to help, and said he saw the victim in the water in distress, but by the time he got out to him he was under water.

"I just could not find him and that was a huge disappointment," he said. "I swam around and expected to bump into him."

Pruyn said he then found the vehicle and stood on top of it until the fire department arrived.

"It's very courageous when they do that, going out of their way to help someone they don't even know," said Sgt. Trevor Cairns.

Investigation underway

Firefighters pulled Dhaliwal from the vehicle, but he succumbed to his injuries in hospital.

"He was a very nice person," said Ajay Deol, who lived in the unit above the victim's basement suite.

Police believe speed was a factor in the man's death. An investigation into the crash is underway.

Ken Nguyen, who witnessed the aftermath of the crash from his home across the street, says he would like to see a stop sign at the intersection.

"I've lived here for 10 years and I see cars ripping through this intersection and forgetting to yield," he said. "When I cross the street they forget to yield for me."

Sugarphreak
08-02-2015, 09:21 AM

btimbit
08-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob

Ken Nguyen, who witnessed the aftermath of the crash from his home across the street, says he would like to see a stop sign at the intersection.

"I've lived here for 10 years and I see cars ripping through this intersection and forgetting to yield," he said. "When I cross the street they forget to yield for me."

Judging by the name, and experience, it's probably because he doesn't look first and just walks into the street expecting people to stop

The_Rural_Juror
08-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Judging by your avatar, you have a toothbrush mustache.

xnvy
08-02-2015, 01:01 PM
^Hey now, Big Ern is a treasure that we were lucky to have. :goflames:

johnlennon
08-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob

Pruyn said he then found the vehicle and stood on top of it until the fire department arrived.

Such a huge help.

Originally posted by btimbit

it's probably because he doesn't look first and just walks into the street expecting people to stop

If someone crosses where there isn't a crosswalk I purposely drive past them as close as possible. You try walking into oncoming traffic in Europe you will get hit... And ticketed.

rx7_turbo2
08-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by johnlennon
If someone crosses where there isn't a crosswalk I purposely drive past them as close as possible. You try walking into oncoming traffic in Europe you will get hit

You're an asshole............. This isn't Europe. :facepalm:

FraserB
08-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Such a huge help.

You're right, he should have just left and let the fire department waste valuable time looking for the vehicle instead of trying to save someone's life.

:rolleyes:

relyt92
08-02-2015, 03:09 PM

If someone crosses where there isn't a crosswalk I purposely drive past them as close as possible. That you Snowcat?

johnlennon
08-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

You're right, he should have just left and let the fire department waste valuable time looking for the vehicle instead of trying to save someone's life.

:rolleyes:

Oh totally! They would probably get confused and think it was one of the other minivans chilling in the pond . :thumbsup:

johnlennon
08-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

You're an asshole............. This isn't Europe. :facepalm:

So are you one of those people that just darts on in the middle of the street and makes the flow of traffic come to a abrupt halt because you dont want to find a crosswalk? Unless you are a senior, pregnant or disabled...YOU my friend, are a asshole. :)

JudasJimmy
08-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Damn... this really needed to be on video. If your going to go out, that's the way to do it.. :) Probable a record jump for that corner.

rx7boi
08-02-2015, 04:25 PM

If someone crosses where there isn't a crosswalk I purposely drive past them as close as possible.

Snowcat 2.0

Originally posted by relyt92
That you Snowcat?

Damn, you beat me to it :rofl:

rx7_turbo2
08-02-2015, 04:31 PM
So are you one of those people that just darts on in the middle of the street and makes the flow of traffic come to a abrupt halt because you dont want to find a crosswalk? Unless you are a senior, pregnant or disabled...YOU my friend, are a asshole. :)

You claimed that you actively try and get your vehicle as close as possible to pedestrians you've deemed to not be following the rules as you see them. Ya you're right that's not an asshole move at all :rolleyes: Fuck, people can be complete cunts sometimes :banghead:

xnvy
08-02-2015, 05:00 PM
^His username just makes it more hilarious :rofl:

rx7_turbo2
08-02-2015, 05:08 PM
If someone crosses where there isn't a crosswalk I purposely drive past them as close as possible.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c6/a5/23/c6a523218828fe4286098d9423cf86ad.jpg

btimbit
08-02-2015, 10:31 PM

Such a huge help.

If someone crosses where there isn't a crosswalk I purposely drive past them as close as possible. You try walking into oncoming traffic in Europe you will get hit... And ticketed.

I don't try to get close, but if safe I don't stop and lean on the horn. Fucking hate entitled jaywalkers.

Don't get me wrong I jaywalk all the time, but I wait until there's no traffic. People that stroll out into the road and expect you to stop deserve to be locked into portable toilets and set on fire

Originally posted by xnvy
^Hey now, Big Ern is a treasure that we were lucky to have. :goflames:

:thumbsup: :goflames:

16hypen3sp
08-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Regarding the crosswalk jaywalking...

Isn't this entire intersection an umarked crosswalk?

You can see the cement ramps on all sides of the road.

zipdoa
08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Reminds me of the most epic darwin thread of all time:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/111545-airstrip-crash-florida-5-killed-1.html

Teenager takes M5 flying - kills 5 (http://jalopnik.com/349540/flying-bmw-crashes-and-kills-occupants-darwin-wins)

JustinL
08-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Regarding the crosswalk jaywalking...

Isn't this entire intersection an umarked crosswalk?

You can see the cement ramps on all sides of the road.

Here's the definition:

(d) “crosswalk” means
(i) that part of a roadway at an intersection included
within the connection of the lateral line of the
sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway measured
from the curbs or, in the absence of curbs, from the
edges of the roadway, or
(ii) any part of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere
distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs
or by lines or by other markings on the road surface;

Basically if the sidewalk is interrupted by a road at an intersection, it counts as a crosswalk.

btimbit
08-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Pretty much all intersections, unless signage indicates otherwise.

That doesn't mean just walk into traffic though, which is what my original shot at Mr Nguyen was about