PDA

View Full Version : Review Gem by Carati to win!

Justing
08-01-2015, 11:28 AM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s42/justing1018/beyondreview2_zps3fzrlb46.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/justing1018/media/beyondreview2_zps3fzrlb46.jpg.html)

Today marks three years of Gem by Carati being a sponsor on beyond.ca! :clap:

I really can't thank all of our supporters enough, I truly appreciate everyone who has been kind enough to come in, review us and refer us over the last few years.
As a small gesture, we're giving away your choice of either a Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date or a gift certificate valued at $1,125!

For detailed rules please see above or visit www.gembycarati.com/contest

Some notes:
- If you have previously reviewed us, please repost your review into this thread. In order to qualify for the contest, your review must be in this thread
- For a valid entry we need your full name, username and phone number. Please don't forget to email your info as well as a link to your post to [email protected]
- The winner will be announced on August 31st

Thanks and goodluck!

CompletelyNumb
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
:thumbsup: top notch Justin. :clap:

03ozwhip
08-01-2015, 02:58 PM
I went in to see Justin last year for my wifes 30th birthday just to look at anything he had in there.

He took the time to let me try on a few Hamiltons even though I didn't end up buying one.

We did however end up getting my wife this very unique black PVD diamond ring that I've never seen anywhere else at a very reasonable price at that.

Thanks Justin, I'm still looking forward to a Hamilton from you eventually!

Edit: here's a pic of the ring.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/IMAG0787_zpstzfh4nwq.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/cory_mr2/media/IMAG0787_zpstzfh4nwq.jpg.html)

A790
08-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Justin and Charlotte helped me find the perfect engagement ring for my wife. I wanted something unique and they helped me find that. They even designed and 3D modeled a custom ring. It was awesome seeing ideas come to life. My wife loves it.

They educated me on diamonds and let me see a variety of different diamond grades, cuts, etc. so I could see the differences between them. That really shaped my criteria when choosing a diamond.

That was my first experience but definitely not my last. I've bought five or six watches from them since, and it's always a great experience.

Thanks Gem :)

403ep3
08-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Justin has been great through the whole process and was a delight to deal with. He was always there to answer questions and was very prompt with answering and questions or concerns I had. I have now proposed and I can now show a few pictures.

If you're looking for any pieces of jewelry or watches I suggest you give justin and his team a visit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/rapidfire999/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd2q5rwtt.jpg

Went with a custom made (Noam Carver) though Gem By Carati with a nice ForeverMark antique cushion cut.

Thanks again Justin and team!

C of Red
08-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Too easy...I just posted this in the Longines thread earlier this week! :repost:

Originally posted by C of Red

His post above got me thinking about acquiring a GMT daily driver (so I can quit looking at that damn clock app on Android to find out when the Flames play back home every time I'm somewhere else), but I wanted something with a sexier dial & more prominent GMT hand.

So I found the Conquest GMT with the Blue dial after a quick google, pinged Justin yesterday and he had me all set up and ready to go today at lunch with the Conquest GMT and that gorgeous red hand, after a couple of tries he had the watch sized for my girly 6" wrist perfectly and gave me a great deal :bigpimp: I was in his shop and back in my car a block away in 15 minutes flat.

Don't bother going anywhere else if you're buying a Swatch product. Now Justin if you start carrying Omegas that will probably be the end of me lol :rofl: I've been eyeing that 38mm Skyfall Aqua Terra! :drool:

Two thumbs up for the J-dawg and his staff at Gem! :goflames:

http://s4.postimg.org/5pf8k8fp9/IMG_20150728_213221.jpg

.jl-
08-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Went to Justin 2 years ago to purchase my first Hamilton watch and received excellent service. He was patient and extremely helpful in helping me pick out the watch. I ended up picking up the Hamilton Jazzmaster, with an exceptional deal. Unfortunately, the leather strap I wanted was not in stock and had to wait 2 weeks to order one, which wasn't a problem for me. A couple days later, I received a call from Justin saying that he was able to get a leather strap and the watch was ready for pickup whenever I was free.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Justin and his staff at GEM by Carati. Will definitely go to them again in the future.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e15/11355271_496298740519318_1185089795_n.jpg

CompletelyNumb
08-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Much like Cam, I give a lot of my business to Beyond sponsors. I may not be a visible on the boards as others but I am here daily and the connections I've made are great. They've all been great to work with and if i can get a small break in price then even better.

I found myself looking for an engagement ring this past fall so naturally I emailed Justin. Like others will tell you, his communication is great. Fast replies. No beating around the bush. I knew what I wanted, described it to him and he set off to find the perfect ring. Which he did, first try. Settled on a designer out of Montreal that had exactly what I wanted.

Next was the diamond. I had a minimum size requirement but also a ceiling to my budget. But Justin was able to find the perfect stone. 1.51 carat, excellent cut, no florescence. This thing shines like a disco ball everywhere.

Put it all together and it was perfect. Not much more I can say, it was a completely painless experience.

As I posted in the "what are your plans for Christmas" thread, I took my girlfriend to Banff and lined up a photographer. Told her we were doing Christmas portraits. And got down on one knee and asked after the 2nd pic. All caught on camera. (And she said yes ;) )

She loves the ring. Gets compliments everywhere. And I couldn't be happier.

Now we're getting our wedding bands ordered in preparation for the wedding this spring. I honestly can't for see needing to ever go elsewhere for my jewelry needs in the future.

Justin is a great guy, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to everyone in the market.

Thanks Justin!

Repost from last winter. Still have yet to post the wedding ring review! :bigpimp:

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=4402905

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-02-2015, 06:56 PM
I was interested in a Hamilton Jazzmaster that was not readily available in north america. I decided to contact Justin about it after seeing all the glowing reviews for GEM by Carati .
He was very prompt with communication, and not only was he able to order the watch directly from Hamilton but it was available for pick-up sooner than he had promised.
I have referred friends to Justin & his team @ Gem and will definitely continue to do so.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/boostjunkie1/dial_zps5y2rxs8z.jpg

know1edge
08-03-2015, 04:45 PM

know1edge
08-03-2015, 04:52 PM

94CoRd
08-04-2015, 02:30 PM
My first encounter with Justin happened a little over a year ago. After all the great reviews on Beyond, I messaged him to begin my search for an engagement ring. He wasn't in his store at the time - rather he was down in Mexico. That didn't stop him from responding to my questions and he suggested I head to the store and meet Charlotte.

The customer service by all staff at Gem by Carati is exceptional. I had toyed with the idea of simply using Blue Nile or a similar service, but there's something to be said for having such a knowledgeable and friendly staff at your finger tips.

The buying process was painless with Justin. I had some minimum requirements and a budget, and within a matter of weeks, Justin messaged me with something he thought I - or at least my, now wife, might like. He was correct. Justin found me a stunning diamond and setting that worked with my budget and I feel like a baller when she or any of her friends comment on it.

After the purchase, the kindness and service does not stop. We stop by and say hi when we are in the area and the staff always greet us with a friendly smile and a quick cleaning / inspection of her ring - something I know those online retailers do not provide!

94CoRd
08-04-2015, 02:44 PM
When it came time to purchase our wedding bands - the fiances was pretty easy. Because the setting was bought from Justin, we just had to go back and get the matching band. I was unsure what I wanted for a band, until a Gem by Carati catalog came in the mail. I saw a line by Crown Ring and messaged Justin. Unfortunately he did not have that particular one in at the time, but insisted we head down and he can do a quick fitting of something similar.

Justin measured me for mine, and my fiances for hers. After a quick cleaning of her engagement ring we were out the door and would sit tight until he had the rings.

I cant say much more other than the experience in dealing with Justin is awesome. After purchasing an engagement ring and two wedding bands, I feel confident in calling Justin my jeweler (I hope he is okay with that). Thanks for everything Gem by Carati! I'll be in one of these days so my wife can finally buy me an engagement watch!

s2k_boi
08-05-2015, 07:56 AM
Hi,

Just want to share my experience with Justin. We initially popped into the store looking at wedding bands last summer and Justin was super patient showing us rings, styles, and explaining the different quality levels. We didn't end up purchasing till Janaury and he remembered us, and was still very accommodating. Finally, we found the perfect one. He even engraved our initials and wedding date on the ring (complimentary - was expecting it would cost something).

Upon pick up, we dropped off my fiancées wedding band to be resized. We eventually picked it up and we were in a rush.....so we didn't notice a small side diamond was missing (so I messaged Justin asking what we can be done/cost etc. to be fair and honest we don't know if it fell out after we picked it up or not) Justin told me to drop it off ASAP and he would speak with his goldsmith. Eventually we got around to it. They replaced it as a goodwill gesture since we haven't worn it yet. He even called and messaged me a few times thinking we forgot about the ring (our fault cause we were extremely busy with life and work). Totally stand up guy and great company to work with. We will be back for our future jewellery and watch business. Will also be recommending to friends and family.

shakalaka
08-05-2015, 09:15 AM
I never met Justin, but he made my over the phone purchase of Hamilton Pilot really easy and quick. I think I was on the phone with him for less than 10 minutes, granted I knew what I wanted, just was on point and didn't beat around the bush with the pricing. I would have saved maybe $100 going the online route, however for the peace of mind and sheer privilege of dealing with Justin made it worth while. He shipped the watch to me the following day to Edmonton and we ran into little snags with FedEx showing the watch as delivered while I hadn't received it, but Justin took it upon him to sort out the mess.

Fast forward a year or so, he answered all my inequiries in regards to the engagement ring I had for my fiancée. We didn't end up going that route and switched the ring all together, but Justin right on point in helping and answering all the questions I had.

Thanks again Justin and I'll surely post a review of this watch that I will win from this contest! haha I wish.:thumbsup:

SkiBum5.0
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Bought my Hamilton Khaki Pilot from Justin over a year ago and I still receive excellent service when I take the watch in. I was having some issues with the date rolling forward, and Justin had a look and it turns out it was low on reserve. He still cleaned up the watch and it looked brand new.

Thanks for the continued service.

GreyFox
08-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Been meaning to post a review here for a while, guess this gives me the perfect excuse to finally do one!

I got married 2 years ago and I was having troubles finding a ring for myself that I really liked. I have skinny fingers, so lot's of the styles of rings that are bigger looked ridiculous on me.

I went in and met with Justin and he showed me a variety of rings that might suit my taste. He was sure to explain the differences of all the different types of metal and the pros and cons of each and helped me narrow down which ones I should probably focus on as a result of my lifestyle and budget.

It took one more visit before I made my final decision. Did the sizing, ordered the ring and picked it up a week or so later. All in all, couldn't be happier with the band nor with the experience. The thing that stood out the most for me was that Justin gave me his full attention even though the band only ended up costing around $150...mere pennies compared to some of the hardware you guys are picking up in this thread! But I never felt like I was wasting anybody's time or that he had more important things to do.

Thanks again Justin and fellow Gem staff!!

dirtsniffer
08-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I recently had the pleasure of dealing with Justin at Gem by Carati while shopping for an wedding band. Justin has a full set of crown sizing rings which was helpful for getting the correct size as they can vary slightly across manufacturer and the generic steel sizing rings other places have.

The buying process was extremely relaxed with no pressure and knowledgeable advice. Communication through various forms of communication was always great and everything went exactly as discussed. I never got the feeling that was discussed wouldn't be delivered and I am pretty a particular person with high expectations and Gem definitely exceeded them. Justin even went well beyond what I'd expect and is willing to help out my fiancée with an issue that is in no way his responsibility.

Honestly, I don't see myself shopping for jewellery anywhere else.
I picked up my band today so I decided to make a unique thread :)
Link to thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=4478242#post4478242)

nixon45
08-07-2015, 01:56 PM
I would also like to express my gratitude to Justin and his staff at Gem by Carati.

I had known that I wanted to propose to my (then) girlfriend for a long long time. In my heart I know she deserves a ring that her friends can be jealous of and that she can wear with absolute pride.

I had looked around at the usual places in Calgary (cough Spence cough) and they really did not offer anything that I felt would be the perfect ring to ask her to marry me. I had known of Gem of Carati from another local car forum, and had read all of the positive reviews. I decided to send Justin an email with some of the rings I had found online that I liked the style of. Within an hour or so I had multiple photos of rings in my email inbox that he felt I would like, and I scheduled a trip to see them in person.

We found the ring that day and my mind was made up. It would be the ring I would propose with.

The entire process was super easy and I never once felt any pressure to drop a credit card down on the counter.

I have been engaged since December 5th and my Fiancee gets compliments on a daily basis about the ring.

We are lucky to have Justin and his staff as a sponsor for the board.

See him for any of your Watch/Jewelry needs, you wont regret it.

spikerS
08-10-2015, 04:45 AM
I have to give props to Justin.

Baygirl and I went in to see what they had there. I was used to just staring and dreaming. I cruised the wrist shot Friday thread, drooling over the Casios, the Hublots, the Omegas, etc... dreaming.

We walked in, and were immediately greeted by some quite friendly ladies. We asked if Justin was there, we were informed he was, and he came out to greet us, dropping everything. I didn't realize it right away, but Baygirl brought me in to get a nice time piece.

I probably checked out close to 40 watches, asked a billion and one questions, and polished every single watch to see how it shined, and how the watch face looked and in different light. I went from one display case to the next, back to the first, then across the store to another, and then back to the second one. Reminded me a lot of the family circus comics in the Sunday papers. The best part was, Justin didn't bat an eye. He was patient, answered all of my questions, and even went and researched answers he didn't know rather than feed me some bullshit line. I really appreciated that. I know we were not a huge sale, but we were treated like we were the most important people to him. He wanted our business, and genuinely cared to make sure we were going to make a properly informed decision, and wanted to make sure we were going to be happy with what we purchased. I swear to god I had 8 or 9 different watches out and comparing them all to each other, trying them on, seeing how they looked, what the strap materials were made of, strap options, the whole gamut, and Justin patiently let me do my thing, offering appropriately timed comments and sugestions. Some places you feel like you are being treated like a criminal, only 1 item out of a case at a time, and the sales person is on you like a hawk. I din't feel that way at all with Justin, even with $10,000 in watches in front of me. It was refreshing, and it made the whole experience just that, an experience, and an amazing one at that.

We fell on some hard times, and I sadly had to sell my Hamilton Khaki Pilot. It killed me to do it, and I can't tell you how much I miss it. It was the pride of my collection. To some, it isn't worth much, but to me, it represented a journey. One that went from surprise I was getting something so nice, to the experience Justin provided, to showing off that timepiece to my friends and posting the in wrist shot Friday thread and people commenting on how I stepped up and got a quality timepiece instead of the knock offs I brought back from the Philippines. When I am in a position to buy another, Justin has my business, each and every time after that too.

Justing
08-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who has submitted an entry so far, I really really appreciate all the kind words!!

Just a reminder for anyone who has posted a review in the past, you're welcome to just copy and paste into this thread!
Please also remember to email [email protected] with your name, number and link to this thread to complete your entry.

Thanks everyone!:clap:

JRSC00LUDE
08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
I started paying attention to some of Justin's threads just because I am on Beyond all the time and one day he posted up the Tissot PR516 which I thought was awesome. Long story short, now I wear it every day! Being from out of Province, I could have found it locally I am sure but I wanted to buy from Justin since it was he who showed it to me via the Beyond thread. Even just by email/phone he was awesome to deal with, I'll continue shopping with him regardless of never having set foot in his store. Why would I go anywhere else? :thumbsup:

statick
08-16-2015, 08:11 AM
I've had the same experience as pretty well everyone else on Beyond... Justin has been great!

While I can't say I've purchased anything for my own use from Justin, I have done so (or at least facilitated) for many watches for family and friends. My brother and sister-in-law also dealt with Justin for their wedding rings.

Justin is always timely, helpful and will offer a good price. He never puts pressure to purchase - he knows I don't wear anything besides dive watches, but he shows me some interesting dress and casual watches when I'm around anyway, just for the sake of doing so.

To boot, Justin is a genuine and cool guy; what's more, he's actually a horophile himself and that is exactly the person from whom you want to buy a watch! :thumbsup:

Here's a recent wristshot of a few friends and I, the Jazzmaster and Heritage Conquest are courtesy of Gem by Carati...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2zsz0c5.jpg

On another note, on my most recent visit, I saw a case with some Montegrappa pens. Now I know there may not currently be too much discussion on pens here on Beyond at the moment, but that might easily change; we clearly love to burn our cash on such novelties.

Justin... If I were to say I'm looking for a mid-level writing instrument with a 1.1 or 1.3 italic nib, what might you recommend? Do the Classic Fortuna, Ducale or Espressione possibly come with such a nib? I was thinking a gold or iridium nib is the way to go, but, if it's wet enough, steel will also work. I do want something that is a solid writer.

A Montegrappa thread might be a suitable place to start this conversation :dunno:

JVR1
08-17-2015, 10:21 AM
I visited gem last week looking for an anniversary gift for my wife. To be honest, gem has sort of become my unspoken first (and generally only) stop when shopping for jewelry. Once at the store I was pleasantly greeted by both justin and Charlotte. After a couple minutes of chatting, I let them know what I was after. They both promptly went thru the display cases and walked me thru everything that would possibly match my requirements.

One thing i like about their inventory is despite not having the same size/footprint of a larger store, is they have quality pieces that would appeal to a variety of people.

Anyway, there was a couple items that caught my eye but wasn't 100% sold. (One of which had just arrived and wasn't even entered into their system or display which was retrieved from the back)

Without any pressure, I said I was going to continue looking and may return. They were both happy to have helped despite not making a sale.

Ffwd after looking around elsewhere that day..I did end up buying one of necklaces from gem for my wife. she was very excited as it was a style neither of us had not seen before.

Thanks Justin (and Charlotte). Gem has yet to fail me and my last minute shopping and i have never hesitated recommending them.

D'z Nutz
08-23-2015, 10:46 AM
I haven't purchased anything from Justin yet, but I did visit his store shortly after he opened it up and became a sponsor here. My immediate reaction upon arriving was I probably wouldn't be treated too seriously just because it looked like a place that catered the ballers, but to my surprise the lady at the counter was very welcoming when I asked for Justin. And again to my surprise, Justin was very professional when I met him (whenever I meet up with most Beyonders for the first time I go in thinking they'll be some teenage punk :rofl: ).

I had decided to drop in to both welcome a new sponsor and to see if he had a watch I was looking for at the time on the way home from work. He didn't because it was somewhat of a specialty watch but he did take a few minutes to pull up some information to see how he could bring it in, how long it would take and cost. While I was waitinghe pointed out a number of watches that he thought I might be interested in at the time too. The next day he also PMed me here with a follow up. I was really impressed with his no pressure, no commitment required approach and the attention he gave me, especially since it was clear he was extremely busy dealing with the opening of his store (there was still some construction going on at the time).

After thinking about it I decided that watch wasn't for me but I'm hoping one of these days I can give Justin my business. I have a handful of watches on my mind I'd like to get some day but other financial priorities come up before I can treat myself. Every time I see something that catches my eye, I'm tempted to drop Justin a line. It doesn't help that he keeps posting new additions to the Tissot and Hamilton threads here haha

Also whenever I see "GEM by Carati", I think

uLeTbKDLj0s

:rofl:

Justing
08-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who has submitted a review so far.
Just one more week to go before we draw for a winner! :clap:

msommers
08-25-2015, 12:30 AM
My experience with Justin has been consistent: professional, excellent communication and very fair pricing.

I had seen a Victorinox online and enquired about stock. Fortunately he had one and supplied a price which led me eventually down there. I also think he may have his Blackberry attached to his hand given the quick responses to email. During the purchasing process, I wasn't upsold on anything and he knew exactly which piece I wanted after introducing myself.

After looking at it more in person, the metal strap was just not something I was interested in and we looked quite thoroughly through the leather straps in store. Fortunately we found something when I purchased the watch but I wanted to buy another strap of a different colour that would fit properly. This process took some time for Justin to receive but that's just how it goes. He was nice enough to keep me in the loop, which is great considering it was just a measly strap. But to me, that is real customer service and building rapport.

About a year later, the battery in the watch crapped out and Justin was eager to get it fixed. Given that I haven't been able to wear it very often, and it's an automatic, the thing still has kept the time almost perfectly without use. That battery lasts hella long! Clearly an upgrade to what the factory supplied.

I wish I had more disposable income to buy more watches! I have a list, and Justin has the watches. He's got my business when the time comes.

My piece with the latter strap choice:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/16382180717_40eae45ce5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qXCXzF)Victorinox Chrono Classic (https://flic.kr/p/qXCXzF) by msommers00 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/54199117@N03/), on Flickr

natty54
08-25-2015, 12:41 AM
I doubt I will ever shop anywhere else. Justin is very professional and overall amazing. I talked to him for a very long time with hundreds of questions. Each time Justin responded timely and with all the information I needed.

Thanks again for a great experience!

v8killa
08-27-2015, 12:06 AM
I haven't had many interactions with Justin but whenever I have he has been incredibly helpful. I ended up purchasing a watch that I had no intention of buying due to his customer service and pricing. :thumbsup:

Disoblige
08-27-2015, 08:43 AM
I went to see Justin in 2014 about an engagement ring, hearing of all the great reviews on Beyond. I'm here to say that Justin is the real deal, and the customer service you will receive is nothing but excellent. I've shopped at many places and one of the most enjoyable experiences about shopping is if the customer has a no-pressure, yet informative and friendly sales rep. Justin checks all of these boxes and I wouldn't hesitate to go to him for any thing he sells in the future. If I had not had such a close contact in the business for a ring elsewhere, I would have purchased at Gem in a heartbeat. Even with my contact, I was somewhat indecisive in both places, which says a lot about Justin and how competitive he is. Checked out a couple Hami's while I was there and boy was I tempted.

seer_claw
08-28-2015, 10:10 AM
After seeing a couple of reviews for Justin on here, I decided to get my girlfriend a set of earrings. I had gotten her a couple of pairs from other places....she doesn't wear any of them. So I went in and got immediate help from Justin. Very friendly and very helpful, gave me a few options in different prices. He found some that were in the range and shape that I was looking for.

The earrings were a hit, she hasn't taken them off since I bought them. Justin also said to bring them back anytime to get them cleaned for free. Great service and great help.

seer_claw
08-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Since I had received such great service from Justin, I decided to go back and get an engagement ring for my then gf from him as well. I went in and Justin was not available but Charlotte was there and was happy to help out. She went through a few rings in stock but nothing stuck out at me. She said that I could design a ring myself and showed me the options available.

She said that she would get Justin to bring in other gemstones that fit what I wanted and would call me when they arrived. I week later, I had everything picked out and was told the ring would be available for the trip that I would be taking.

I had wonderful service from everyone at the store and would highly recommend Gem by Carati to anyone looking for jewelry and wants top customer service.

:thumbsup:

micheal.m
08-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Since I heard all the great reviews from everyone on beyond, I decided to see Justin a few months ago to look at rings. He remembered me or so he thought, but it was actually my brother who bought a watch from him before. That showed me how much he cares about what he does and speaks true to the great customer service he provides.

Justin spent a long time educating me on diamonds, showing my girlfriend and I different styles of bands and during the time I was there, I did not feel any pressure at all to buy or make a decision right away. Justin even told me to take my time, visit his other shop since they have different styles and if we can't anything we like, then we start looking into designing a custom band. I always recommend seeing Justin to my friends and family based on my positive experience there.

bjstare
08-29-2015, 04:37 PM
The first time I went to see Justin a few years back, I was shopping for an anniversary band for my ex. When I came in, I knew pretty much exactly what I wanted and after showing me multiple options, he helped select one that was within the budget.

Before I took delivery of said anniversary band, I found out that my ex had been unfaithful for a while, needless to say I didn't need the band any more. When I came in to visit Justin and tell him I didn't need it, he took it in stride and was very understanding and offered a store credit for the amount of my deposit, no questions asked. I was prepared to sacrifice my deposit (after all, that's kind of what a deposit is about), so it was great to see that he wasn't going to go down that road. Little did I know, that was my first visit of many (get ready for more reviews...).

(Note: Just so ya'll have a chance, I'm only going to post reviews from when I actually purchased things from him, not every single time I dealt with him haha)

bjstare
08-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Fast forward a couple months, I was tired of looking at the wrist shot Friday thread and having nothing to contribute. I figured I'd make use of the store credit I had there. I had my sights set on the Hamilton Khaki Pilot Auto that I saw in the Hamilton thread here on beyond.

I came in one afternoon after work to try it on, and he recognized me right away (he's got a great memory for names and faces). Unfortunately, to my dismay the watch was too big for my dainty wrists. Fortunately, Justin has a huge selection of Hamilton watches, and he quickly pointed out that the Pilot Day-Date would be better suited to my size of wrist. Needless to say he was right about that. Although I probably tried on 6 or 7 other watches, I wound up going with the Pilot. He gave me a great deal on it, and sent me on my way at which point I told him I'd be back when I decided I wanted another watch.http://i.imgur.com/ICFcCq5.jpg

bjstare
08-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Another few months down the road, my girlfriend (now fiancee, more on that later) had a bracelet from Tiffany's that had a faulty clasp on it. I mentioned to Justin I'd be bringing it down there, and he said he'd have it repaired and back within the week. Not only was he able to do this, but he got it back ahead of schedule and the repair was top quality and quite inexpensive. At this point I knew that I'd be bringing him all the business that I could.

bjstare
08-29-2015, 05:03 PM
When it came time to buy another watch, I let Justin know that I'd like to come down and try some on. It turns out that in order to accomodate my schedule he actually let me and my gf in when the store was still closed for reno's (private shopping experience :bigpimp: ). Despite letting us in on a weekend morning when he wasn't even supposed to be open, I cannot emphasize enough how patient he was with me. I didn't really know what I wanted (aside from a black or steel strap) and he probably pulled out 15 watches over the course of an hour. At the end of it all, I narrowed it down to a couple. Even though he was able to offer an unreal price on a discontinued Tissot, I wound up getting a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic (still a fantastic price).

http://i.imgur.com/1i1rSuS.jpg

I won't make another post on it, but it was around this time that my gf and I started looking for engagement rings as well. He brought out a bunch of rings for her, and also multiple diamonds for us to browse (even though we weren't ready to buy anything).

bjstare
08-29-2015, 05:20 PM
When the time finally came to get engaged, I knew I'd be visiting Justin. When I'd been previously looking at rings, my fiancee had told me a couple different ideas of what she wanted - and they were both different from one another (greeeeat :rolleyes: ). I went to talk with Justin about the options he had, and also about diamonds. I was up front with him, and basically let him know I was still considering a diamond from Bluenile as well as from him, and I asked him to help educate me a little more on them. He was very informative about advantages of either route, and was, as always, low pressure.

I gave him my budget, and told him what I had in mind for qualities of the diamond. He brought out a bunch of examples (some just for purpose of comparison), and we tentatively picked one.

Now, regarding the setting. Given that my fiancee was (is) indecisive, I decided I was going to do this on my own. I gave Justin a bunch of parameters for sizing the engagement ring (height, width of band, etc etc) and we got to work on a custom design. Over the course of a few days he sent me a couple different renders, and after some more comments (and renders), we landed on a design. I sent him a deposit and all was well.

I, however, decided over the next few days that what we finished with wasn't perfect. I was aware that I was being a difficult customer, but sent Justin an email with a couple more ideas (hoping it wasn't too late to change). As always, he was incredibly understanding and patient - he wanted above all, to make sure I was happy (well.... she was happy). After another couple sample pictures and ideas, and corresponding renders, we landed on the final design.

A couple weeks later, my fiancee and I decided to take a last minute trip to SF. I figured this would be a great opportunity to propose... but it was going to be a tight timeline to get the ring done. I let Justin know when we were planning on leaving, and he said he'd do everything he could to hopefully have it done in time. Long story short, he got it done the night before we left. He offered to go way above and beyond in order to meet to get me the ring on time to take it with, but I was fortunately able to make it down before he was closed for the evening. I got the ring down there, through security, and she said yes - and most importantly (and to Justins credit) was thrilled with the ring. She gets constant compliments on it, and it sparkles like crazy - it's perfect.
(Excuse the shitty cell phone pic. I swear even though it looks like it, she doesn't have sausage fingers :rofl: )
http://i.imgur.com/l5sFH3G.jpg

bjstare
08-29-2015, 05:25 PM
When it came time to purchase a wedding band, my fiancee and I came to see Justin again. He remembered her name (after only meeting her like...three or four times over a couple years), and warmly congratulated us. As usual, it was a painless process in choosing the wedding band for her. We gave him some parameters of what we were looking for, a budget, and we were in and out in under an hour (that includes him helping me try on a few watches, as per usual).

bjstare
08-29-2015, 05:32 PM
LAST ONE GUYS

My fiancee and I went in today to pick up her wedding band, and also drop off a repair that my mom needs done. I had previously told him that I was going to get a cheap band and buy a nice wedding watch instead, so I just had him size me up with the intention to go buy something on amazon. I decided to just see what he had (out of curiosity mostly), and within a couple minutes I'd found the perfect wedding band for myself and he'd given me a killer deal on it. I'm still going to buy a wedding watch, but now I have a nice band as well. Win win!

I've visited Justin many times without purchasing anything, but each and every time I go in, he's always fantastic to deal with. If my fiancee is with me, he makes sure to clean her ring, and he always helps me out with watches that I want to try on. He's been unreal with giving advice as well - even advising me on what to do with products I can't buy from him (i.e. Omega... Justin , it's probably for the best you don't carry them right now, otherwise I'd be giving you even more of my money). I already am referring my friends and family to Justin at Gem, and I know I'll be a long time customer. It's been unreal dealing with him, and I'm sure it will be in the future as well. Can't give enough :thumbsup: for you guys.

403ep3
08-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Holy reviews batman! Lol

FraserB
08-30-2015, 09:47 AM
I try to give as much business to forum sponsors as possible and Justin is no exception. I bought my first Tissot, a PRS516, and Justin didn't disappoint. I didn't have a specific idea of what I wanted and Justin was amazing to deal with, letting me browse through dozens of watches and narrowing down the list as we went. I probably spent an hour in the store before deciding on the final few. While I finished making up my mind, Justin did a quick service on my Tag for me. Wound up paying an excellent price for both the watch and service and never felt like I was wasting his time.

FraserB
08-30-2015, 09:56 AM
My second time visiting Justin was just as good as the first. I had been eyeing yet another Tissot for a while and was casually shopping online for a PRC200.

I was happy with the pricing I was seeing online, but wanted to get an actual feel for the watch. When I went in, I was up front with Justin about my shopping around and wanting to see the watch in person. Even with this, he was very accommodating and found a few other models I had looked at previously but decided against due to the online pictures. Probably spent half an hour looking at the few I was interested and left to think. No pressure from Justin and as usual, he was very up front about his pricing for the various models and different straps.

Went back after lunch and picked up one of the ones I hadn't liked the look of online and am very happy I went to see Justin first. His price was very competitive and was well worth the level of service I received. Instead of the plain PRC200, I wound up with the chronograph version.

FraserB
08-30-2015, 10:10 AM
My third and latest trip to Gem really highlighted the level of service that Justin and his staff provide to everyone. Everyone that knows me knows I'm not the suit wearing type and I usually wear jeans, tshirt and hiking shoes.

I had gotten a bit of overtime and decided that it was time to get my hands on a Tissot Seastar. I visited a few jewelry stores in Chinook (one starts with a B) and got some of the worst service I have ever gotten. While browsing I felt like I was being watched and when I asked about the Tissot models, I was informed "these are very expensive watches" in a pretty condescending manner. Needless to says, after they refused to let me try one or two on, I realized my mistake and went straight back to Justin.

Justin had a few in stock, with both colors and chrono and non-chrono versions. Spent some time going over each, tried them all on to compare colors and size differences. Finally wound up with an orange non-chrono version and couldn't be happier.

Throughout all my experiences, Justin and his staff treat everyone who walks into the store the exact same, regardless of whether of not you show up in a suit or jeans. Never felt any pressure or like I was wasting their time. This is why Gem is going to be the one stop shop for all jewelry going forward.

Thanks again Justin!

RawB8figure
08-30-2015, 10:33 PM
My girlfriend’s jaw was on the floor when I pulled out the blue box from Gem by Carati – a stunning custom ruby ring!!

Justin provided exceptional service from the beginning of the custom ring creation. He was quick to respond to phone calls and emails and spent time in person working to secure the perfect gem.

I was always greeted with a smile and Justin’s presence. When we went in to pick up our wedding bands, we were greeted by Justin's team who knew exactly who we were and where our rings were. Justin popped out and greeted us with a bottle of champagne to celebrate our upcoming marriage - Sweet!

The only negative is that my fiancée wants to bring home so many more of the beautiful pieces in this store!

Thanks for the great service and the fabulous ring!!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/RawB8figure/65a7c348-9952-427d-8f96-9facae151eae.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/RawB8figure/media/65a7c348-9952-427d-8f96-9facae151eae.jpg.html)

GenerationX
08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Justin has always been great! Purchased a Tissot PRS200 from him when I saw a posting in his thread about the releases from Tissot. I messaged Justin on Beyond for a price and he was quick to respond as well as very friendly when I met him in person. Another time I went and purchased a watch from another beyonder in his store just so he could verify the authenticity of it and he was kind enough to help me adjust it too! Great service overall.

GotRice?
08-30-2015, 11:44 PM
I emailed Justin about a watch I was interested in and he was very quick to respond. Unfortunately they didn't have it in their inventory but instead they were able to show me many other similar ones. Justin had to leave for a few days but Charlotte took great care of me. I went back a few weeks later to talk to Justin and was able to figure out which watch I really liked(even better than what I initially came in for) with his help. Didn't end up buying at the time but when the timings right I am definitely coming back for it! Great service, all the staff were very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Justing
08-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Holy cjblair:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for all the reviews so far! The contest closes at 4pm TODAY and we'll draw a winner right at 4pm.

Good luck!

Justing
08-31-2015, 04:10 PM
And the winner is.... D'z Nutz!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mr. Nutz, I'll contact you to arrange for pick up of either your Hamilton watch or gift certificate!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to submit a review and enter the draw, much appreciated!!

JRSC00LUDE
08-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Awwwe Nutz.

(congratulations!)

D'z Nutz
08-31-2015, 05:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks Justin! I'll let you know what I decide on!

MRW Gem by Carati flashed on my phone just as I was heading into the tunnel on the c-train

https://i.imgur.com/rIdolga.gif

bjstare
08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
Congratz Nutz!

403ep3
08-31-2015, 06:40 PM
Dang! Congrats!

shakalaka
08-31-2015, 06:45 PM
Damn my luck as usual :(

Congrats though man!

Edit: You're gonna look so pimp on that new bike of yours with the new watch! :poosie:

nismodrifter
09-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Congrats D!

.jl-
09-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Congrats D!

D'z Nutz
09-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Just a follow up, I ended up passing on the Khaki Pilot Day Date and went for the gift certificate instead. I was flip flopping between a number of watches for a couple weeks and finally ended up going with the Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT Auto Limited Edition.

Just a couple quick snapshots

https://i.imgur.com/ZGMAETp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MYDdpCe.jpg

Thanks again Justin!!

msommers
09-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Damn that's sweet!

max_boost
09-20-2015, 05:20 PM
That is sweet. I don't even wear watches but would rock that. :bigpimp:

Justing
09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Wow, nice pics!!

Congrats D'z, enjoy the watch!:thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
09-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Justing
Wow, nice pics!!

Congrats D'z, enjoy the watch!:thumbsup:

Thanks Justin! I would have gotten some better pics, but my cameras that use my macro equipment were sent in for servicing.