PDA

View Full Version : 'Germ Guy' on what diseases you can catch from a public toilet

rob the knob
08-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Hazards of public toilet use debunked
'Germ Guy' on what diseases you can catch from a public toilet
By Vik Adhopia, CBC News Posted: Aug 03, 2015 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 03, 2015 5:00 AM ET

Cover, hover or hold?

Who hasn't thought twice about sitting on a public toilet seat? Covering the seat with toilet paper is one popular method to put a little space between you and the seat. Maybe you hover? Or cross your legs and wait until you get home? You're not alone. Many people think they can catch a disease from the toilet seat — a fear that has led to a market for personal seat covers and portable seat-sanitizing sprays.

But those worries are overblown, according to one microbiologist in Toronto. "Unless you lick the toilet seat, there's really no likelihood of you catching an infection," says Jason Tetro, an author and researcher otherwise known as the Germ Guy.

Toilet seats are indeed crawling with human bacterial populations, usually in the form of fecal bacteria, says Tetro, who wrote The Germ Code: How to Stop Worrying and Love the Microbes. But for the most part, coming into direct skin contact with these poses a minimal risk. "When you sit down, you're actually creating a seal … and unless you have a giant gash on your posterior that can allow bacteria to get into your bloodstream, there's no risk at all."

Never mind the seat

There is a slight risk after getting up from the seat. That's because studies have shown flushing a "loaded" toilet sends tiny water droplets airborne, with bacteria hitching a ride as far as two metres, landing on sinks or the floor.

The health risk is heightened if gastrointestinal viruses such as Norwalk are transported in this manner. At home, this risk can be minimized by simply putting the cover down before flushing. But public toilets often don't have lids.

Tetro says proper hand washing will mitigate any risks. He also warns of the accidental triggering of the auto-flush function while the user is still seated. Depending on what's in the bowl, contaminated droplets could land on the skin. But he says again unless there's a cut or open wound, the risk is minimal.

Avoid a yeast infection

There is a slight chance toilets can harbour yeast populations at the front of the bowl, "and it can possibly touch the genitals. If that happens, there is a likelihood that you can come up with an infection." said Tetro. These are usually present in washrooms used by women.

Draping a seat with toilet paper is unlikely to offer any protection. He suggests folding up some toilet paper and placing it at the front of the bowl. "I do this too actually," he said.

Inzane
08-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
There is a slight risk after getting up from the seat. That's because studies have shown flushing a "loaded" toilet sends tiny water droplets airborne, with bacteria hitching a ride as far as two metres, landing on sinks or the floor.

I knew about this aspect, which is why I raise an eyebrow when I see the occasional coworker brushing their teeth in the public washrooms at work. While there are people in there using the toilets.

Something this article doesn't mention but I'd read elsewhere is that certain skin parasites are one type of microbe that you could potentially catch from a toilet seat. But it would have to be a kind that is absorbed through the skin. I don't know how common that is.

M.alex
08-04-2015, 05:33 PM
if you do anything more than pee in a public bathroom you're carzy :barf:

rob the knob
08-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
if you do anything more than pee in a public bathroom you're carzy :barf:

do you never leave your house? or do you poop one time each day at the same time each day?

The_Penguin
08-04-2015, 05:40 PM

do you never leave your house? or do you poop one time each day at the same time each day?

http://whencrazymeetsexhaustion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Shitbrick-2.jpg

M.alex
08-04-2015, 05:58 PM

I go poop twice a day, usually within 10 minutes of the same time every day ... doesn't everybody :dunno:

Pooping in public..............:barf: :barf: :barf:

Sugarphreak
08-04-2015, 06:08 PM

NoPulp
08-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Interesting, still doesn't help me though. I hate public toilets. I hate public bathrooms in general. People are disgusting, it amazes me how many guys don't wash their hands... and I have to touch the same door handle to exit the bathroom. :barf:

Seth1968
08-04-2015, 06:25 PM
:drama:

Just wait until you see the human devastation that's on our kitchen sinks, the grocery cart handle, or our money.

Now just give it a little more time, as the REAL human kind threat will be the depletion of oil. Global warming :rofl:

Make up some bogus scare to keep us off our toes.

Coming up: The US, China, and Russia will be at war for the last remaining oil drop.

rob the knob
08-04-2015, 08:01 PM
According to the dominant medical advice, moving your bowels as little as once every three days is considered normal, while, in fact, a frequency this low indicates severe fecal impaction, stool transit disorders, and chronic constipation — the conditions that commonly precede enlarged hemorrhoids, diverticular disease, polyposis, and colorectal cancer.

Seth1968
08-04-2015, 09:32 PM
if you're only taking a shit every three days, then you're... fucked.

Over all physical health can be determined by the condition of the tongue.

btimbit
08-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

I go poop twice a day, usually within 10 minutes of the same time every day ... doesn't everybody :dunno:

Not me. With my diet, it's random times and every shit is an emergency

firebane
08-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Not me. With my diet, it's random times and every shit is an emergency

LOL yup! And depending on what I eat or drink and what time or when... :burnout: