PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

lasimmon
08-05-2015, 11:40 AM
So I haven't talked to my insurance company since I insured my car. I lived in red deer at the time. I have lived in calgary for 3 years now.

I may have damage to my car from the hail yesterday. Will I see any potential ramifications from not changing my address?

Thanks.

lilmira
08-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Hmmm, that might be important. The distance of your commute and where you commute affect your rate. I dunno if that's enough for them to decline but it would be at least a frown upon. I guess you could keep on lying for the time being :dunno:. I'm curious to hear what the gurus here say about that.

R154
08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
I was in a very similar situation. Car was insured here, car was damaged in BC (Delta) where I was for a period of time.

Insurance didn't care. I paid my deductible and they covered it.

My claim was also weather related. Hail/tree damage.

Armour Insurance - Wawanesa. Comprehensive.

Masked Bandit
08-05-2015, 05:42 PM
That is what's called a "material change in risk" and could potentially result in the denial of a claim. Realistically though the chances of the company turning you down are pretty slim, but don't be surprised if you get the 3rd degree. Silly question, why wouldn't you keep that stuff up to date?

guessboi
08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
3 years?
That is a long time for not updating your address and your agent not being in touch with you.

Who are you insured with?

lasimmon
08-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
That is what's called a "material change in risk" and could potentially result in the denial of a claim. Realistically though the chances of the company turning you down are pretty slim, but don't be surprised if you get the 3rd degree. Silly question, why wouldn't you keep that stuff up to date?

Thought never crossed my mind really. As I never really thought it would matter. But now that I may potentially need them I started thinking about it.

Originally posted by guessboi
3 years?
That is a long time for not updating your address and your agent not being in touch with you.

Who are you insured with?

TD. My rates kept going down so I didn't wanna rock the boat?
:dunno: :rofl:

Env-Consultant
08-06-2015, 10:16 AM
I did the same thing when I was in my early 20s. Had my address as being outside of Edmonton, but lived in Calgary for about 6 months. I didn't want to pay to update my licence and I wanted my insurance and registration to match it for ticket purposes (I think they all have to match to avoid further tickets if you're pulled over?). Obliterated a deer just outside of Calgary. RBC paid and simply asked if I needed to update any of my info. No hard time given. Hail + TD may be a different story though. With TD now and they have been awesome.

Masked Bandit
08-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Thought never crossed my mind really. As I never really thought it would matter. But now that I may potentially need them I started thinking about it.

TD. My rates kept going down so I didn't wanna rock the boat?
:dunno: :rofl:

Here's the theoretical angle. Your physical location can increase or decrease the chance of a claim (proven by statistics). Obviously the guy that lives & works in Vulcan, AB has less of a chance of being involved in an accident than the guy that lives in South Calgary and drives Deerfoot every day to the North end for work. Because of the difference in risk, there is a difference in premiums. For the same guy with the same car, Edmonton is the most expensive, then Calgary, then most of the rest of Alberta. There are a few exceptions but that's essentially the break down. If you have intentionally left your address in a cheaper territory while living in a more expensive territory, it could be argued that you aren't accurately disclosing your true risk factors to your insurance company. They're charging you for a hot dog and you're eating a steak.

Of course living in the real world, most adjusters don't take things that far. It's kind of like a cop giving you a ticket for doing 103 KPH on Deerfoot. Ya sure technically it could happen, but when was the last time it actually did?

I would recommend keeping that stuff up to date, but when it comes right down to it, your exposure isn't significant (but it's not zero either).

lasimmon
08-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Here's the theoretical angle. Your physical location can increase or decrease the chance of a claim (proven by statistics). Obviously the guy that lives & works in Vulcan, AB has less of a chance of being involved in an accident than the guy that lives in South Calgary and drives Deerfoot every day to the North end for work. Because of the difference in risk, there is a difference in premiums. For the same guy with the same car, Edmonton is the most expensive, then Calgary, then most of the rest of Alberta. There are a few exceptions but that's essentially the break down. If you have intentionally left your address in a cheaper territory while living in a more expensive territory, it could be argued that you aren't accurately disclosing your true risk factors to your insurance company. They're charging you for a hot dog and you're eating a steak.

Of course living in the real world, most adjusters don't take things that far. It's kind of like a cop giving you a ticket for doing 103 KPH on Deerfoot. Ya sure technically it could happen, but when was the last time it actually did?

I would recommend keeping that stuff up to date, but when it comes right down to it, your exposure isn't significant (but it's not zero either).

That all sounds legit. What about if I have it registered in a spot where I would have been communting but I actually live in a place where I don't commute at all? haha.

Masked Bandit
08-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

That all sounds legit. What about if I have it registered in a spot where I would have been communting but I actually live in a place where I don't commute at all? haha.

A cheaper territory rated for commuting versus a more expensive territory rated for pleasure only should come pretty close to being a wash.

lasimmon
08-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Well I chatted with them this morning. They didn't have any concerns.

As for hail damage: Anyone have any opinions on which of these 2 shops is better?

Know how systems

or

Confident Paintless Dent Removal?

Trying to decide who to call...

ExtraSlow
08-07-2015, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure both of them are similar high-volume insurance shops that have travelling technicians and they operate out of whatever large rental space they can get their hands on.

I had a long chat with the guys from KHS back when they were working out of the old Jack Carter location on MacLeod. The three dudes running the show there were all from Georgia. They apparently just travel around full time and work wherever the damage happens. Nice guys.

I think people overthink situations like this, just call one, get an appointment, and relax.

My appointment for one hail repair was seven months after the damage occurred. That's a little annoying, but it is what it is.

lasimmon
08-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm pretty sure both of them are similar high-volume insurance shops that have travelling technicians and they operate out of whatever large rental space they can get their hands on.

I had a long chat with the guys from KHS back when they were working out of the old Jack Carter location on MacLeod. The three dudes running the show there were all from Georgia. They apparently just travel around full time and work wherever the damage happens. Nice guys.

I think people overthink situations like this, just call one, get an appointment, and relax.

My appointment for one hail repair was seven months after the damage occurred. That's a little annoying, but it is what it is.

Thanks a lot. Ill call KHS and see when they can get me in.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Come to think of it, it may have been Confident who did the appraisal on my expedition when it was written off. I really wanted it written off, so that was a good situation for me as well. At that time they were working out of some bays in Greenview Industrial. That seemed like a temporary location as well.

I've done really well out of hail claims.

lilmira
08-07-2015, 09:53 AM
I got some damage and I started a claim as well. Hopefully I can get an appraisal next week to get the ball rolling. At the moment, I'm more inclined to bringing my car to DNT on Memorial whether it is approved shop or not. They have done repairs for me before and I was satisfied.

lasimmon
08-07-2015, 10:04 AM
2 weeks till the earliest appraisal time... Wooooo

lilmira
08-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Just got my appraisal booked at Country Hills Collision next Wednesday. See how it goes.

lasimmon
08-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Well so far the insurance company hasn't had any issue with me at all with the address thing.

Car got appraised for at least $13,000 damage today... Looks like it will be write off.

lilmira
08-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I didn't think PDR would get that expensive. My other car got backed into by a truck so bad that I couldn't open the door, that repair was 3000, not the best job and the door was replaced by certified part (better way of saying not new). I was surprised that my estimate for the hail damage is 6000. Oh well, high is better than low, now I'm hoping that the shop can do a good job.

lasimmon
08-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Yeah, I didn't think PDR would get that expensive. My other car got backed into by a truck so bad that I couldn't open the door, that repair was 3000, not the best job and the door was replaced by certified part (better way of saying not new). I was surprised that my estimate for the hail damage is 6000. Oh well, high is better than low, now I'm hoping that the shop can do a good job.

Yah he was saying most of my damage will have to be body shop repaired..

New hood, roof, roof rack, all side panels etc...

Masked Bandit
08-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

This is pretty much bang on. The hail techs just float from one shop to the next so it's a bit of a crap shoot. It's also the same thing when it comes to repairs on property claims (siding, roofing, etc.). Total luck of the draw.