PDA

View Full Version : Uneven tire wear

locust
08-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Recently i've noticed some loud noises coming from my tire and had it checked out by the dealer. There's only about 14000 km on them with more than 60% tread life left on them. They noticed that there was a bit of uneven wear on my passenger front tire which i'm assuming was caused by a pot hole.

Based on the wear, they said I needed to change all 4 tires as there would be too much of a differential on all the tires and the quadro system wouldn't bode well.

Is there anything I can do to salvage the tires like shaving them? Or am i just sol and I should just fork out for new tires.

Tik-Tok
08-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Uneven tread wear is a bigger problem than just a single pot hole. It means your alignment is out (which could have been cause by a big enough pot hole, I guess).

locust
08-05-2015, 04:22 PM
The dealer did a check on the vehicle and it is still aligned.

There's actually a bit of a bulge on the tire which is why they think it's a pot hole that caused the tire to unevenly wear.

rx7_turbo2
08-05-2015, 05:21 PM
If the other 3 tires are in decent shape with only 14,000 kms on them I find it hard to believe that swapping the messed up tire for a new one (same make same model) would cause any issues with the AWD system.

The circumference of a new tire couldn't be that much greater than one with 14k and reasonable treatment. Maybe the Quattro system is really sensitive though :dunno:

locust
08-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure what the tolerance is for Audi.
The tire right now all have about 5mm remaining. I believe new tires are about 8mm for the new ones.

roll_over
08-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Could you go with just two new tires, I don't work for Audi so I don't know what they allow

locust
08-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Just confirmed they will not do so as the tire offset is more than 2mm.

lilmira
08-06-2015, 04:58 PM
If you can find a shop to shave the new tire, that's probably the cheapest solution. I don't see anything negative about it. I feel your pain. I was in similar situation before but I only had to replace two. Tirebob helped me out on that one.

locust
08-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks will look into that!

italianstylez
08-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Find out which corner wears most, all vehicles have 1 corner that wears more even on awd , one of your current 4 should be down by maybe even a mm more, unless your crazy on rotation, in any case get 2 tires put them on front or on rear , again one end of vehicle should usually have a large portion of torque split, whichever it is should get the new tires, Audi could be different on this model but unlikely , my x drive BMW can wear the rears slightly faster then my fronts .

'93 SR-V
08-08-2015, 03:13 PM
You can order shaved tires from tire rack. Hopefully they carry yours!

Rocket1k78
08-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Ive heard this before and supposedly Audi's are really sensitive to mis matched tires. Doesn't sound like a big deal but i can believe it with how advanced the awd systems are now adays

locust
08-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Looks like the pot whole bent the rim a bit as well.
Fixed the rim at alberta wheels and just ordered a new tire from tire rack with it being shaved.

Thanks everyone for all the help!