PDA

View Full Version : Economic slow down has me exploring jobs down South

bimmere92
08-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Like many here, work is drying up and being a freelancer/consultant... I am exploring opportunities down South. A friend of mine that moved to SF Bay Area a few years ago and offered me a position with his company, decent pay but the costs for living are nuts!

Anyone else exploring?

Perhaps just me, but I've recently taken serious attention to it.

unkicrackie99
08-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Do you need a work visa to work in the US? If so, how long do they last?

riander5
08-05-2015, 11:09 PM
What specifically do you do ?

cosmok
08-06-2015, 05:16 AM
How far south? The job market down here is pretty soft at the moment.

FraserB
08-06-2015, 06:15 AM
My company has a presence in Australia, at the end of my current project I'll be looking at opportunities there.

Big projects in LNG and my experience is fairly applicable over most large scale energy projects.

bimmere92
08-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Yeah, its called a TN VISA.
It's quite easy to get actually (within a couple days) as I have a company thats willing to bring me out there.

I'm a civil-structural engineer.

The position is based in SF, California. The pay is inticing, complete with the USD conversion, but the rent/house prices in the Bay Area are outrageous.... but not liked local prices are not.

Just exploring all options. Work is drying up and want to have a plan B in place.

KO22
08-07-2015, 11:31 AM
^ I thought the TN Visa's take a few months to get? Wow, may explore my options moving south with the current state of the USD/CAD.

How long do the TN Visa's last for? One year before renewal? TIA

bimmere92
08-07-2015, 11:50 AM
TN Visa lasts 3 years.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... USD/CAD is a no brainer, especially if it drops even more like some are projecting!

Not sure where to explore what cities/areas are the up and coming... Cali seems like the funnest and coolest place to live, but economically the real estate is outrageous and I wont save a dime.

SkiBum5.0
08-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by KO22
^ I thought the TN Visa's take a few months to get? Wow, may explore my options moving south with the current state of the USD/CAD.

How long do the TN Visa's last for? One year before renewal? TIA

They are easy to get with a company sponsor - individuals will take much longer

bimmere92
08-07-2015, 12:58 PM
^ This

Nufy
08-08-2015, 09:15 AM
If you have your paperwork in order, you can get one in an hour at the airport.

Thats how I have done all of mine...

holden
08-25-2015, 10:29 PM
How easy is the process to go from a TN visa to an actual US citizen (not including marriage to a US citizen)?

killramos
08-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by bimmere92
Yeah, its called a TN VISA.
It's quite easy to get actually (within a couple days) as I have a company thats willing to bring me out there.

I'm a civil-structural engineer.

The position is based in SF, California. The pay is inticing, complete with the USD conversion, but the rent/house prices in the Bay Area are outrageous.... but not liked local prices are not.

Just exploring all options. Work is drying up and want to have a plan B in place.

Did you write the FE? Or does your position not care about the ability to stamp drawings?

ZenOps
08-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Its my understanding that TN VISA does not count toward application for a green card. However, its much easier to get the TN - and its useful as a stepping stone while you figure out the convoluted US system.

If your ultimate goal is work permanance in the US, you might want H1B H2B.

bimmere92
08-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Did you write the FE? Or does your position not care about the ability to stamp drawings?

I am not required to write the FE for this position, as its more so construction management based (not signing drawings).
That being said, there are some states (Arizona and Nevada) that don't require you to write the FE from what I understand.

As for TN Visa to Permanent Resident, not sure. But from what I know, a TN Visa is good for 3 years.

killramos
08-26-2015, 02:11 PM
^ I think Texas grants equivalency to Apega as well.

I was just curious about it, i hear that full professional licensure is like 60% down there compared to Canada's 95%+

bimmere92
08-26-2015, 02:26 PM
What do you mean? Only 60% of Canadians get licensed in US, vs 95% of Americans get licensed in Canada?

I heard the FE exam is long and detailed, would have to brush up on all the useless elementary formula's and calculations... if I ever choose to write it.

Still considering moving down there... work is slow!

killramos
08-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bimmere92
What do you mean? Only 60% of Canadians get licensed in US, vs 95% of Americans get licensed in Canada?

I heard the FE exam is long and detailed, would have to brush up on all the useless elementary formula's and calculations... if I ever choose to write it.

Still considering moving down there... work is slow!

I mean only 60% of engineers in the US get their full licensed designation.

pheoxs
08-26-2015, 03:07 PM
TN visa can be had at the airport in as little as 15 minutes (though once it took 2-3hrs due to the lineup) so long as you have all the proper paperwork in order. Was cheaper than I expected too haha. Just make sure the offer letter is for a specified term (<3yrs) and not a full-timer permanent position, I've heard they can be sticky about that for some reason. Then just renew everything when the time comes.

Not sure how the FE works, if that matters to them even, I'm in a similar situation and looking at jobs south of the border in the near future. I currently have a TN visa with my employer (travel to the US for projects) but I believe I need re-apply for a new TN visa when I eventually cross the border.

^ I think Texas grants equivalency to Apega as well.

I was just curious about it, i hear that full professional licensure is like 60% down there compared to Canada's 95%+

That is mainly true because in the US they need to write the FE and PE exams to become licensed whereas here we only need the ethics exam which is kind of a joke. For us it's just get it done and then get your PEng, for them it's weeks of studying and prep for their exams and fees to write them, so a lot of people don't pursue it if not needed.

killramos
08-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

That is mainly true because in the US they need to write the FE and PE exams to become licensed whereas here we only need the ethics exam which is kind of a joke. For us it's just get it done and then get your PEng, for them it's weeks of studying and prep for their exams and fees to write them, so a lot of people don't pursue it if not needed.

More based on the fact that we have a national accreditation board.

In the US noone regulates engineering state to state which leads to wide variances in what is taught. I have heard in some cases people graduate with engineering degrees there with 30% less course hours than a Canadian program. Which is why the FE was created, rather than keep track of what is taught in school they just test you on what you know in the end.

6 of one half a dozen of another i guess.

pheoxs
08-26-2015, 03:43 PM

More based on the fact that we have a national accreditation board.

In the US noone regulates engineering state to state which leads to wide variances in what is taught. I have heard in some cases people graduate with engineering degrees there with 30% less course hours than a Canadian program. Which is why the FE was created, rather than keep track of what is taught in school they just test you on what you know in the end.

6 of one half a dozen of another i guess.

I remember hearing that in school actually. I always had assumed it was a nationwide accreditation for them, still seems odd to me that it isn't.

bimmere92
08-28-2015, 08:49 AM
On a side note, does anyone know how long the process is to get licensed to practice engineering in Arizona or Texas? from P.Eng to P.E.

dirtsniffer
08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't quote me but I believe for Texas it's not a long process and you don't need to take the FE exam

bimmere92
08-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Yeah, its supposed to be a breeze in Nevada, Arizona and Texas...

But still curious as to timelines of "a breeze".

All other states can be tedious, as you have to write the FE and go through more hurdles.

dirtsniffer
08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
One thing you can do is get your PE in one of the easier states then transfer it to wherever you want easily.

Sugarphreak
08-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Marsh
09-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
TN visa can be had at the airport in as little as 15 minutes (though once it took 2-3hrs due to the lineup) so long as you have all the proper paperwork in order. Was cheaper than I expected too haha. Just make sure the offer letter is for a specified term (&lt;3yrs) and not a full-timer permanent position, I've heard they can be sticky about that for some reason. Then just renew everything when the time comes.

Not sure how the FE works, if that matters to them even, I'm in a similar situation and looking at jobs south of the border in the near future. I currently have a TN visa with my employer (travel to the US for projects) but I believe I need re-apply for a new TN visa when I eventually cross the border.

Is there a good source online for doing this? I checked the US gov site for TN visa's, but its a bit vague. What kind of paperwork do you need, and who issues it at the airport? Homeland security?

Sorry just looking for more details.

Thanks

bimmere92
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I understand you need your passport and potential employers letter for employment. It's pretty simple I hear... the border officers likely run some background info on you at the airport and you are good to go within a few hours.