PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER Shaw or Telus thread.

ZMan2k2
08-06-2015, 02:03 PM
So, this is the story that I have. I recently cut back on my services with Shaw, because of the recent price increases that they've added to my service. When I called in about it, they offered me a $15/month discount until Feb. 2017. But right now, I have Personal TV, Internet 15, and home phone with them, totaling right around $160 before the discount. With Telus, I can get the channels I want in HD, for $5 less per month after the first year, faster internet at Internet 25 with a better upload, and home phone for the same price. I would save, in the first year, over $450 by going with Telus.

Does this seem like a no-brainer? Shaw won't budge on the $15 discount, I've tried, and said that if I want, I can have Shomi for 3 months at no charge. I don't want Shomi, so that's of no use to me.

I have some questions though, for those on Telus, how are the set top boxes connected, Cat5, coax cable, or another type of connection? Can I use my current router as the incoming internet modem, by setting the settings the same as Telus has on their modem, because I need the USB ports, for network storage and media playback? I think that's it, something more might come up later.

Thanks for the help.

Hero_X
08-06-2015, 02:58 PM
I recently switched to Telus for internet. It took some time to get everything working properly but once it did, it was fine.

Their TV boxes require a connection directly into the internet modem that they give you. If you don't want to do this you can also use wireless box (150$ at bestbuy).

I don'tk now if you can use your own router as a modem....BUT you can bridge the modem and use your own router.

Check with telus if they will offer you Fiber connection or the two-bonded lines. I've heard good things about the fiber connection.

Good luck!

DENZILDON
08-06-2015, 03:09 PM
^^^ I did the same but spikers might be able to give you a better answer since he works for Telus.

schocker
08-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Your bill seems very high, I have BB608120, Personal TV + $10 package, cheapest home phone and it is $160 before GST w/ $15 bundle discount. Did you try pricing it out on their website? Try retentions though as I got a sweet 6 month discount.

ZMan2k2
08-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys. At least I can bridge the modem, so I can use my router and USB connection. I guess the wireless box would be for me, as I feed TV over to my Mother-in-law next door, because she's on a very low fixed income, and can't afford TV herself. As for behind my TV console, I have a switch that I can use, to tie in my XBOne, receiver, TV, and I guess the Telus box, so that should work. I hope spikers jumps in here, as I'd really like his input.

ZMan2k2
08-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Your bill seems very high, I have BB608120, Personal TV + $10 package, cheapest home phone and it is $160 before GST w/ $15 bundle discount. Did you try pricing it out on their website? Try retentions though as I got a sweet 6 month discount.

Nope, that's my bill. It's 160 then subtract the 15 discount, and that's what I pay. I tried retentions, and all they offered was 3 months of Shomi, and the same $15 discount I already have. Wouldn't budge. To say the least, as a 16-year customer, I was not impressed. I may call again, and see if I can get another person, but that's what was offered.

theken
08-06-2015, 03:30 PM
I switched to Telus and have been loving it so far. Paying less than shaw, only problem any time I torrent even through unblock-us vpn (not DNS) I get an email of infraction

supe
08-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2

I have some questions though, for those on Telus, how are the set top boxes connected, Cat5, coax cable, or another type of connection? Can I use my current router as the incoming internet modem, by setting the settings the same as Telus has on their modem, because I need the USB ports, for network storage and media playback? I think that's it, something more might come up later.

I would go with Telus. Set tops can be either coax or ethernet. The telus guy told me ethernet is better if you have it but it didn't make any noticeable difference for me. You use your current router as a router not a modem, and yes you can do that.

ZMan2k2
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Thanks supe. Okay, coax for the MIL, and ethernet for me. Now to convince the "boss", who's had the same email for 16 years, that this is the better option.

gwill
08-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Can you transfer your long time email address onto a friends shaw account? Or is it glued to one specific account?

ZMan2k2
08-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Well, got off the phone with Shaw retentions again, and got a much better person to deal with. I got more channels, Internet 30, and the phone service, and I'll pay $136 per month for 6 months. Now I have 6 more months to consider this, and decide if I want to switch, or when.

eblend
08-06-2015, 10:48 PM
As someone who has been with telus for over 5 years now on their optic service can answer most of your questions as well but it doesn't seem to matter anymore since you sticking with Shaw.

But as someone mentioned, can run Ethernet or HPNA (coax). All your TV boxes have to plugin into Telus modem/router (unless you want to deal with IGMP proxy for multicast and all that on your own gear..). You can set Telus modem into bridge mode and use your own router. Even the old V1000H Actiontec modem/router can do USB storage and has DLNA built in, so whatever they are giving out now probably has all that and more if you wanted to consolidate to using all Telus gear instead of own router.

ipeefreely
08-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Well, got off the phone with Shaw retentions again, and got a much better person to deal with. I got more channels, Internet 30, and the phone service, and I'll pay $136 per month for 6 months. Now I have 6 more months to consider this, and decide if I want to switch, or when.
Sweet! :D Did you do this?

Originally posted by roopi

1. Call customer service and say you would like to cancel (on a certain date a few weeks out) because you are moving over to Telus.
2. They will transfer you to retentions.
I was going to call on Monday as see what I can get because my bill has jump about $60 from about 4 years (?) ago... :banghead:

With Telus it would be $90/month for the first year and then $150 vs $164 after for the same stuff! (3year contract) :nut:

gwill
08-07-2015, 12:00 AM
I got shaw to reduce my bill by $60 a month for 6 months... Then a $15 discount for 2 years. So instead of the $160 I was down to $96 for a while. Now back to $136 or so a month thanks to the latest increase and the main promo ending. They gave me an Internet promo plus a loyalty discount.

They also upgraded me to the new hi speed modem for free, the gave me One of the new pvrs because my old one didn't play all the MPEG 4 hd channels and then I decided to try out the shaw gateway which is also free(except the 2 boxes I have to rent).

My experience with retention was wonky... I got offered something by one guy who went on vacation. When I talked to another guy he couldn't give me the same package for some reason. Said it didn't exist. I just found out now that they changed my internet package around which I'm not too happy about... Altho I'm on the shaw 60 package I don't see a big diff in download speeds from the 100mb package it used to be on.

ZMan2k2
08-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

Sweet! :D Did you do this?

I was going to call on Monday as see what I can get because my bill has jump about $60 from about 4 years (?) ago... :banghead:

With Telus it would be $90/month for the first year and then $150 vs $164 after for the same stuff! (3year contract) :nut:

Kind of. The first time I called in, I was trying to be polite, as it's not the Rep's fault Shaw is screwing it's customers. Second time, I had the telus website open, fired off all that I could get, prices for everything, what Telus' discount would net me in savings, etc. Then said, "What can you do?" They were a little more willing to talk with me, because I had the numbers and all, and gave me a decent deal for 6 months. I'll probably still switch after 6 months, but for now, I'm happy with what I got out of them.

ZMan2k2
08-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by eblend
As someone who has been with telus for over 5 years now on their optic service can answer most of your questions as well but it doesn't seem to matter anymore since you sticking with Shaw.

But as someone mentioned, can run Ethernet or HPNA (coax). All your TV boxes have to plugin into Telus modem/router (unless you want to deal with IGMP proxy for multicast and all that on your own gear..). You can set Telus modem into bridge mode and use your own router. Even the old V1000H Actiontec modem/router can do USB storage and has DLNA built in, so whatever they are giving out now probably has all that and more if you wanted to consolidate to using all Telus gear instead of own router.

No. Your answer still matters. If I switch, I can save $552 in the first year, and pay $150 after, which is less than what I will pay after the 6 month promo is over. So Telus is still on the table, and I have my wife still considering it. She's just stuck on switching email accounts, as she's the one who uses the Shaw account. I use my Gmail. So, please, keep the Telus info coming.

Another question then, does the Telus modem have coax on it, so I can connect my MIL, or is there another box they would install in the basement for that?

ZMan2k2
08-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Here's another couple questions. How many boxes can I have watching HD at the same time with FTTH?
And how many price increases have you seen in the last few years? I know Shaw has increased my price twice already this year, but says they won't again, until at least next summer.

eblend
08-08-2015, 12:35 AM

Another question then, does the Telus modem have coax on it, so I can connect my MIL, or is there another box they would install in the basement for that?

Yes, Telus Modem/Router has a coax connection on it, it's called HPNA, and its basically Ethernet over Coax. Your MIL would still need a Telus set top box, but those are cheap. I always buy mine for $50 if I need any more, but nowadays Telus I think includes the PVR and a couple of boxes most of the time if you sign up for free, if not they often go on sale. I have like 6 TVs at my house and they all have an STB attached to them.

The way Telus works is that you get one PVR unit, and rest are just basic STBs that all talk to the PVR, so anywhere in the home you can access your recordings. This will be the case for your MIL as well, she will be able to see all your recordings and you hers...assuming she using the PVR functionality. You can pause live tv and rewinds and all that on any box in the house.

Another interesting fact for those who care, is that if you use coax to connect your STBs, the Ethernet port on the back of the PVR can be used for additional devices. For example, at my parents place, each TV has a coax connected STB, and into the STB I plugin a ROKU for a wired Ethernet connection to the rest of the network.

Here is the pic of the older unit that I have at my place and at my parents, but they roll out a newer version of this now from what I heard, but same idea

http://assets.suredone.com/1797/media-photos/e50x093014-actiontec-v1000h-wireless-n-vdsl-modem-router-brand-new.jpg

Here's another couple questions. How many boxes can I have watching HD at the same time with FTTH?
And how many price increases have you seen in the last few years? I know Shaw has increased my price twice already this year, but says they won't again, until at least next summer.

I don't know, I heard people say they bumped this up to 5 HD streams now + some number of SD, last I heard or looked at my settings I was at 3HD + 2SD at the same time (that's live TV and recording at the same time). You can watch PVRed shows as much as you want outside of this limit, so if you got people watching live TV or recording lots of shows and you hit the limit, you can still watch PVR content.

Also of interest to some, is that all your telus boxes have Netflix built in, so you can always watch Netflix on them without needing a smart tv or a Roku or whatever.

As for the price increase, I been with Telus Optik for 5 years, as have my parents, and I think there were 2 price increases during that time, but they weren't much, believe last one was like $2 or $5 bump in internet price or something, or $1 per HD package increase. Was never enough or frequent enough for me to care, plus I really like how Optik has been working for me (coming from Shaw and Bell) that as far as I am concerned it's my only option anyways, so gonna stick with them until something drastic changes.

ZMan2k2
08-08-2015, 07:24 AM
^^^Best answer yet. Thanks eblend. You really hit it out of the park with that explanation. Much appreciated.

ipeefreely
08-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Kind of. The first time I called in, I was trying to be polite, as it's not the Rep's fault Shaw is screwing it's customers. Second time, I had the telus website open, fired off all that I could get, prices for everything, what Telus' discount would net me in savings, etc. Then said, "What can you do?" They were a little more willing to talk with me, because I had the numbers and all, and gave me a decent deal for 6 months. I'll probably still switch after 6 months, but for now, I'm happy with what I got out of them.

Cool! Thanks! :D

thetransporter
08-08-2015, 05:22 PM
telus is great internet -

just dont like the ports closed....

the v1000h has a lot features but buggy with telus firmware., its great as a VDSL modem in bridge mode..

if you use the wifi from the v1000h in bridge mode (as a AP) - it will not pass DHCP packets from your dhcp server over the wifi interface .. why I am not sure.........

rage2
08-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
if you use the wifi from the v1000h in bridge mode (as a AP) - it will not pass DHCP packets from your dhcp server over the wifi interface .. why I am not sure.........
If you throw it in bridge mode the device would completely be on the wrong side of the network to talk to your dhcp server on the internal network.

johnlennon
08-08-2015, 07:27 PM
f. As for behind my TV console, I have a switch that I can use, to tie in my XBOne, receiver, TV, and I guess the Telus box, so that should work.

Make sure its a 1Gig switch if you are using a stb

Originally posted by supe

The telus guy told me ethernet is better if you have it but it didn't make any noticeable difference for me

Definitely a difference with Ethernet. Also depends your back end profile, modem and stb model

Originally posted by gwill
Can you transfer your long time email address onto a friends shaw account? Or is it glued to one specific account?

You can use your Shawmail email with Telus services for a monthly fee

Depends where you live in city. As little as 1 and as high as 4.

ZMan2k2
08-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by johnlennon
Make sure its a 1Gig switch if you are using a stb

Definitely a difference with Ethernet. Also depends your back end profile, modem and stb model

You can use your Shawmail email with Telus services for a monthly fee

Depends where you live in city. As little as 1 and as high as 4.

Please expand on the bolded statement. My wife would be very interested.

I also found this thread over on digitalhome.ca. It states you can use your own router, instead of the Actiontec router. I would be willing to run the Cat5 cable, that's not a problem. I'm just wondering if this would work.
DigitalHome.ca thread. (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-telus-iptv-also-known-optik-tv/240329-successfully-replaced-actiontec-t1200h-asus-rt-ac56u.html)

johnlennon
08-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Please expand on the bolded statement. My wife would be very interested.

I also found this thread over on digitalhome.ca. It states you can use your own router, instead of the Actiontec router. I would be willing to run the Cat5 cable, that's not a problem. I'm just wondering if this would work.
DigitalHome.ca thread. (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-telus-iptv-also-known-optik-tv/240329-successfully-replaced-actiontec-t1200h-asus-rt-ac56u.html)

Sure. If you do not have a 1gig switch it is possible to see errors on the stb like studdering/pixelization.

Ethernet or coax will have mimimal difference with a new 7105 330 model set top box but the old 330's are CLEARLY slower with coax.

That link you sent me is a little over my head, I would have to look into it further to have a definite answer. The one thing I am wondering is what is the point of running the middleware through 3rd party equipment? Pm me and I can answer any direct questions . gl

ZMan2k2
08-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by johnlennon

Sure. If you do not have a 1gig switch it is possible to see errors on the stb like studdering/pixelization.

Ethernet or coax will have mimimal difference with a new 7105 330 model set top box but the old 330's are CLEARLY slower with coax.

That link you sent me is a little over my head, I would have to look into it further to have a definite answer. The one thing I am wondering is what is the point of running the middleware through 3rd party equipment? Pm me and I can answer any direct questions . gl

Thanks for the answers, but I meant the bolded point. Keeping a Shaw email, while on Telus services. How does one do that?

NVM, discovered that if I know someone who's on Shaw (My sister), I can call customer service, they talk to her, and I can have my shaw email transferred to her account. She uses 3 emails, so there's plenty of room.

johnlennon
08-08-2015, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the answers, but I meant the bolded point. Keeping a Shaw email, while on Telus services. How does one do that?

NVM, discovered that if I know someone who's on Shaw (My sister), I can call customer service, they talk to her, and I can have my shaw email transferred to her account. She uses 3 emails, so there's plenty of room.

pmd

CanmoreOrLess
08-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, if you have a Telus cable package and a Telus mobile phone package under the same user name, Telus knocks $5-$10 off a month on the bill.

Team_Mclaren
08-09-2015, 12:43 AM
hows internet speed compares to SHAW? My area has Fiber Connection (according to the Telus rep). Thats all i really care about, I have basic cable but dont watch much TV other than live sports.

As it stands it'll save me half my Shaw bill for the first year, then the same with more channels thereafter... :dunno: :dunno: Sounds like such a great deal.

ZMan2k2
08-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Another thing to keep in mind, if you have a Telus cable package and a Telus mobile phone package under the same user name, Telus knocks $5-$10 off a month on the bill.
Don't have a Telus mobile phone, but I'd get the full package otherwise. My wife likes to have a home phone, on top of her cell, don't know why, her reasoning is weird. Anyways, Optik, Internet and home phone. So I get a $15 discount for that.

*edit* Just phoned Telus, and they talked to me about keeping the Shaw email, at least for a couple months, until we get all our contacts migrated over. I don't use the home email anymore, I have a Gmail account, and I just signed my wife up for a Gmail account a couple months ago. He recommended migrating all the contacts to the Gmail account, then switching to Telus. He told me how to connect the Gmail account to Windows Mail, so my wife, who uses the computer email program, would get all her email, I'd just have to take Gmail off her cell phone, because she would get like 20-30 emails a day on her phone, something she doesn't want. Telus has been so helpful in answering my questions, even though I'm not a customer, that I am really ready to make the switch, not just for the $700 over 3 year savings, the extra channels, the extra HD, the better internet, etc., but their customer service is so helpful, and I get through faster than with the Shaw customer service.

danno
08-09-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm in my 4th year with telus optic. I'm pretty happy, a few boxes have died, got upgraded to fibre last year. When you sign up for your second 3 year contract they give you a deal, we are half price for the year. Bill went from 160 to 80 for the whole year. The customer service has been pretty good, other than extra charges that shouldn't have been there, as long as you watch your bill and catch their errors they will refund you.

ZMan2k2
08-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by danno
I'm in my 4th year with telus optic. I'm pretty happy, a few boxes have died, got upgraded to fibre last year. When you sign up for your second 3 year contract they give you a deal, we are half price for the year. Bill went from 160 to 80 for the whole year. The customer service has been pretty good, other than extra charges that shouldn't have been there, as long as you watch your bill and catch their errors they will refund you.

Thanks for that danno. I never considered what would happen after the 3 years are up. But if they offer even more discounts, it sure beats arguing with a Shaw rep, to try and get your bill down to a reasonable price for 6 months, or having them offer their measly $15 loyalty discount.

eblend
08-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
hows internet speed compares to SHAW? My area has Fiber Connection (according to the Telus rep). Thats all i really care about, I have basic cable but dont watch much TV other than live sports.

As it stands it'll save me half my Shaw bill for the first year, then the same with more channels thereafter... :dunno: :dunno: Sounds like such a great deal.

Many threads on this already, some people say it depends, but for me it's been rock solid at my place (on VDSL and now fiber) and at my parents (fiber only). No issues at all. Reason I made the switch was the dropouts from Shaw at random points in the day. This was like 4 to 5 years ago now when wife was going to school and had to do online test.....wasn't too happy when internet died in a middle of an online test.....and she couldn't retake...

Anyways, for me personally, the evenings with Shaw were pretty terrible. 160kb/s max, couldn't even watch youtube videos (this was in evergreen), and upload always sucked, but with Telus hasn't been any problems, and love the extra upload of fiber. I upload lots of pics and videos online so for me it made a big difference (putting up 6.5 gigs online right now from my day at the COP)

Can't really do a speed test now as I am uploading at the moment, but get faster then advertised any time of the day.

eblend
08-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Thanks for that danno. I never considered what would happen after the 3 years are up. But if they offer even more discounts, it sure beats arguing with a Shaw rep, to try and get your bill down to a reasonable price for 6 months, or having them offer their measly $15 loyalty discount.

For me once the 3 years was up I just went on month to month, didn't even think about extending for some reason, oh well.

When I signed up the promo was that you get a PVR and a digital box as free rentals for the 3 years, and at the end of 3 years it just converts to a royalty bonus and it continues to be free. I think things have changed some now and they give away free TVs and such and PVR is already included, but not sure. Haven't had to look at what they offer for a long time.

danno
08-09-2015, 08:21 PM
The way I understand it is if you aren't under a contract they will rent you the boxes at 15$ a month. Under contract they are free.

eblend
08-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by danno
The way I understand it is if you aren't under a contract they will rent you the boxes at 15$ a month. Under contract they are free.

Just did a quick look at current promos, looks like this is it:

"Get a 40" Samsung LED Smart TV when you sign up for Internet & TV for 3 years. Plus get one free PVR and two free digital box rentals."

So that's pretty good I would say, good value. The contract may make people nervous as it did me at first, but I have no regrets. Back when I first signed up it was just a free PVR so the deals just got better.

ZMan2k2
08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Just did a quick look at current promos, looks like this is it:

"Get a 40" Samsung LED Smart TV when you sign up for Internet & TV for 3 years. Plus get one free PVR and two free digital box rentals."

So that's pretty good I would say, good value. The contract may make people nervous as it did me at first, but I have no regrets. Back when I first signed up it was just a free PVR so the deals just got better.

Yeah, I read that one, but the TV is not that great. We have a small TV we'd put in our bedroom, and the MIL gets one, and the PVR goes to the main TV. Besides, I want the savings. Just have to kick the wife's butt, to tell people we have a new email. I signed up for a Gmail account, and am loading all the Shaw emails on it, for reference, and put the Gmail as the main email on the Windows Live Mail program on the computer. Got to get her in gear. :D

thetransporter
08-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

If you throw it in bridge mode the device would completely be on the wrong side of the network to talk to your dhcp server on the internal network.

Im sorry - i was speaking of AP mode/bridged wifi range extenter as having another gateway on the LAN . i had 192.168.1.254 = telus gateway and 192.168.1.253 shaw gateway but devices could not get IP addresses from 253 connected to 254 Wifi interface.. but taking out TELUS firmware fixed that.

ZMan2k2
08-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Well, just called it in. Getting switched to Telus on the 25th. I wanted the 20th, because that's when the Shaw billing cycle ends, so Telus gave me an extra $50 because of it. Try getting that out of Shaw!

ZMan2k2
08-11-2015, 09:27 PM
BTW, the only reason I'm switching to Telus is because of the cute animals in their commercials.:D

*edit* My wife told me to write that. :poosie: