PDA

View Full Version : Who else thought Elizabeth May won the debate?

Toma
08-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Great job on her part.

HiTempguy1
08-06-2015, 08:43 PM
I actually agree. Not that I appreciate her policies, but I do appreciate her consistency and the way she presented herself.

Toma
08-06-2015, 09:18 PM
"Let me be clear"...lol, no wonder Harper wants to skip debates. Harder to lie when you're gonna get called on it to your face lol.

Im an NDP supporter, because they can rid us of Harper. But all 3 did better than him, and May was honest and consistent.

Toma
08-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Well, Harper thinks he won, and announces it with a nice spelling mistake haha
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7953412?utm_hp_ref=canada-politics

Tik-Tok
08-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Well, Harper thinks he won, and announces it with a nice spelling mistake haha
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7953412?utm_hp_ref=canada-politics

nc1KhrdUtLk

KzyCi1BFATA

Xtrema
08-07-2015, 08:27 AM
No winner and loser really but to rank them by how much they exceed my expectation.

1) May
2) Trudeau
3) Harper
4) Mulcair

The only one I find disappointed is Mulcair.

Sugarphreak
08-07-2015, 08:27 AM

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2015, 09:01 AM
So what, she's a meaningless contributor to the process because she'll never win.....wait for it......wait for it...........the Prime Minister's seat! Why a party with 7% support has any bearing in a national debate....makes no sense to me. Why not just have a real free for all with every fringe party there too? Where's the cutoff line, 5%? 3? 1? lol

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
So what, she's a meaningless contributor to the process because she'll never win.....wait for it......wait for it...........the Prime Minister's seat! Why a party with 7% support has any bearing in a national debate....makes no sense to me. Why not just have a real free for all with every fringe party there too? Where's the cutoff line, 5%? 3? 1? lol

Personally I can see a lot of value in having at least one fringe candidate participate. The range of ideas and the willingness to be provocative decreases as you float towards the centre.

Xtrema
08-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Or eventually fringe will merge or takeover a major party.

Like the current Conservative government or the Republican in US with tea party.

SmAcKpOo
08-07-2015, 10:27 AM

The cut off line is a seat in Parliament, which she has. If another fringe party like the Marijuana party wins a seat, absolutely they should be allowed to debate.

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
The cut off line is a seat in Parliament, which she has. If another fringe party like the Marijuana party wins a seat, absolutely they should be allowed to debate.

Fair enough, and you are right, a seat should give you the right to be there. Personally, I still don't care what she has to say as her position on anything is completely ineffective and meaningless. As others have stated, her only value is an alternate way to spoil a ballot.

SmAcKpOo
08-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Her role is pretty simple, and arbitrary in the long run. The party that leans furthest from her ideologically is the one she needs to make look bad. So for instance, if she has similar ideologies as the Liberal party, she should take every opportunity to make them look better as she can better affect policy by working with them.

Why wasn't the Bloc participating in the debate?

Toma
08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm going to start a right wing party.

The way we are now, we have 3 centre/left of centre decent human being parties, and one psycho right wing nut party, so we have major vote splitting among the decent people, and all the degenerates vote one way. So, a second scumbag party would at least lartially split the right wing nut vote....

Hmmmmm.... lol.

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Toma
I'm going to start a right wing party.

The way we are now, we have 3 centre/left of centre decent human being parties, and one psycho right wing nut party, so we have major vote splitting among the decent people, and all the degenerates vote one way. So, a second scumbag party would at least lartially split the right wing nut vote....

Hmmmmm.... lol.

:rofl: It just might work!

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 11:46 AM

They aren't a national party.

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Fair enough, and you are right, a seat should give you the right to be there. Personally, I still don't care what she has to say as her position on anything is completely ineffective and meaningless. As others have stated, her only value is an alternate way to spoil a ballot.

This is quite an ignorant statement. She has done more to advance a national framework on lyme disease than any of the major parties, and her private members' bill made it through the house.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/parliament-backs-green-party-leader-may-s-bill-on-lyme-disease-1.1126601

Elizabeth May’s bill to develop a national framework around Lyme disease was unanimously passed in the House of Commons Wednesday — a rare feat for a private member, let alone the sole representative of a party.

“Extraordinary levels of non-partisan co-operation went into this,” the MP for Saanich Gulf-Islands and leader of the federal Green party said from Ottawa.

May noted the support of the minister of health, Rona Ambrose, and Conservative Sen. Janis Johnson, who will sponsor the bill in the Senate in the fall.

“As I said to my colleagues earlier, ‘We’ve done something good today for people who need our help.’ ”

HiTempguy1
08-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

This is quite an ignorant statement. She has done more to advance a national framework on lyme disease than any of the major parties

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahaha.

I would expect that sort of work to be done by a political science undergrad, not the leader of a party. THAT is your crowning achievement for her? Really? Lyme f*&king disease?

I am honestly trying my hardest to be nice and polite in these talks, but you are straight up crazy man. The absurdity of your statements already is just... absurd :nut:

Seth1968
08-07-2015, 12:43 PM

This is quite an ignorant statement. She has done more to advance a national framework on lyme disease than any of the major parties, and her private members' bill made it through the house.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/parliament-backs-green-party-leader-may-s-bill-on-lyme-disease-1.1126601

I don't even...what?...more like WTF?

Do you have some vested interest in Lyme disease? Or do you bury your head in the sand and cooperate with delusional and fellow hypocrites called May?

Probably both.

Lyme disease :rofl:

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahaha.

I would expect that sort of work to be done by a political science undergrad, not the leader of a party. THAT is your crowning achievement for her? Really? Lyme f*&king disease?

I am honestly trying my hardest to be nice and polite in these talks, but you are straight up crazy man. The absurdity of your statements already is just... absurd :nut:

Uh... what the fuck is wrong with you?

My sister suffers from lyme disease and has had a really shitty time dealing with BC and AB doctors. Why is it a trivial issue for you?

Can you explain where you're even coming from with this post? You are a bizarre little man.

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

I don't even...what?...more like WTF?

Do you have some vested interest in Lyme disease? Or do you bury your head in the sand and cooperate with delusional and fellow hypocrites called May?

Probably both.

Lyme disease :rofl:

As noted above, yes my 'vested interest' is that my sister has it.

What's hilarious about lyme disease, please explain.

mazdavirgin
08-07-2015, 01:17 PM

What's hilarious is it doesn't exist well not the one people claim to have that is impossible to diagnose unless you go see a naturopath quack. It's straight up quackery.

“Chronic” Lyme disease (CLD) is not recognized as a disease in the medical community. Its symptoms are, well, pretty much anything. One description from a post by Harriet Hall:

Lyme is a multi-systemic illness, and may affect every part of the body causing fatigue, stiff neck, headaches, light and sound sensitivity, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), anemia, dizziness, joint and muscle pain, brain fog, tingling, numbness and burning sensations of the extremities, memory and concentration problems, difficulties with sleep (both falling asleep and frequent awakening), chest pain and palpitations and/or psychiatric symptoms like depression and anxiety.

As Dr. Hall correctly notes, “that pretty much covers everyone.” Mark Crislip, SBM’s very own infectious disease guru, uncovered an even broader list of symptoms.

Elizabeth May is a quack who is anti vaccination and wants to run her own 9/11 truth inquiry. :nut:

HiTempguy1
08-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Uh... what the fuck is wrong with you?

My sister suffers from lyme disease and has had a really shitty time dealing with BC and AB doctors. Why is it a trivial issue for you?

Can you explain where you're even coming from with this post? You are a bizarre little man.

First off, my apologies. I did not know, and I hope your sister is doing ok. While I may like to rant on the forums for fun, I did not in any way mean to insult an issue so personal to you.

Second, from the perspective of an outsider to YOUR perspective of that situation, it would be no different than saying May's crowning achievement was to write a bill to save an endangered species. Legislation gets passed all of the time. It was a poor example on your part of her "good" qualities, whatever those may be. I would have posted the exact same response.

Now if you said May helped force change to the TPP (which I don't think any opposition party actually could, but just as an example), then I would agree that was a major achievement on her part. Or that she forced the hand of the gov on pipelines (for or against, I don't care) I'd say that would be an achievement, even if I disagreed with it.

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

What's hilarious is it doesn't exist well not the one people claim to have that is impossible to diagnose unless you go see a naturopath quack. It's straight up quackery.

Wow, nice ninja edit - that helps a bit.

THe U.S. CDC must be a bunch of fucking quacks too, right?

http://canlyme.com/2015/08/04/usa-cdc-vaccines-for-lyme-disease-past-present-and-future/

vzSih6IHwYA

Here's a buzzfeed link as well if that's easier to read for some - http://www.buzzfeed.com/anasaldamando/what-its-like-when-no-one-believes-youre-sick#.fvwmYQpjJ

EM2FTL
08-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

First off, my apologies. I did not know, and I hope your sister is doing ok. While I may like to rant on the forums for fun, I did not in any way mean to insult an issue so personal to you.

Second, from the perspective of an outsider to YOUR perspective of that situation, it would be no different than saying May's crowning achievement was to write a bill to save an endangered species. Legislation gets passed all of the time. It was a poor example on your part of her "good" qualities, whatever those may be. I would have posted the exact same response.

Now if you said May helped force change to the TPP (which I don't think any opposition party actually could, but just as an example), then I would agree that was a major achievement on her part. Or that she forced the hand of the gov on pipelines (for or against, I don't care) I'd say that would be an achievement, even if I disagreed with it.

Thanks for clarifying.

From where I sit (reviewing legislation on a daily basis), it is extremely rare for a private members bill to pass, let alone receive unanimous support, let alone when a fringe party is the one advancing it. To me, that is a huge success for May - granted the issue is a personal one for me.

mazdavirgin
08-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Wow, nice ninja edit - that helps a bit.

THe U.S. CDC must be a bunch of fucking quacks too, right?

http://canlyme.com/2015/08/04/usa-cdc-vaccines-for-lyme-disease-past-present-and-future/

vzSih6IHwYA

Here's a buzzfeed link as well if that's easier to read for some - http://www.buzzfeed.com/anasaldamando/what-its-like-when-no-one-believes-youre-sick#.fvwmYQpjJ

It's not a ninja edit it's simply I have dealt with people like you before. Just because Lyme disease is a thing doesn't mean the chronic one all the nut jobs out there claim to have is the same thing.

PS: Your buzzfeed link complains specifically that the CDC doesn't believe in chronic lyme disease so... :dunno: Your supporting articles seem quite weak there buddy.

If you are self diagnosing yourself or using a naturopath to diagnose your illness you might as well just claim demonic possession.

It's quite clearly document in the scientific community that there's no such thing as year long lyme diseases. That's in people heads.

Seth1968
08-07-2015, 01:31 PM

So I nailed the vested interest part, and it's quite obvious that the hilarity part was in reference to May's lyme disease bill.

Lyme disease is a minuscule part of human disease. Of course, the main stream media will tell you otherwise.

cancer man
08-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Her role is pretty simple, and arbitrary in the long run. The party that leans furthest from her ideologically is the one she needs to make look bad. So for instance, if she has similar ideologies as the Liberal party, she should take every opportunity to make them look better as she can better affect policy by working with them.

They will not lower themselves to speak in the Queens English.
And i'd tap May..I'am voting for her.

Toma
08-08-2015, 10:35 AM
This woman is impressive.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2F%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fcanadian-politics%2Fdemocracy-is-too-important-to-be-left-to-the-politicians-elizabeth-may-has-a-small-party-but-a-big-voice

[quote]SIDNEY, B.C. • In the late 1950s, just as The Mouse That Roared took off, the satirical story of a tiny country that brings a nuclear-armed U.S. to its knees, Elizabeth May was a toddler learning from her peace-activist mother small voices can have powerful results.

Stephanie May joined 17 Nobel laureates, including Linus Pauling and Bertrand Russell, in suing the U.S., Soviet and British governments to stop atmospheric nuclear testing. She ended up on U.S. president Richard Nixon’s “Enemies List.”

Her daughter learned to sit still in the face of inequality or bad government is not an option.

Today, Elizabeth May, the Green Party leader, may be Canada’s best-known version of the mouse that roared, an environmental activist and politician with outsized ambition, unafraid to take on the mighty and the influential, and who considers no issue too big or complicated to tackle.

“What makes me believe that one person can change the world? My mom. Because she did,” May said.

Canadians saw that chutzpah in July when she said prescription drugs should be accessible to all by 2020.

“I aspire to be someone who makes a huge difference in Canada the way (Saskatchewan premier) Tommy Douglas did,” said May, who argued Pharmacare is a necessary but unfinished component of Douglas’s universal health-care program.

She was elected Greens’ leader in 2006, but failed to win a parliamentary seat until 2011, when she defeated veteran Conservative MP and cabinet minister Gary Lunn in Saanich-Gulf Islands.

She was the first Green to become an MP. Former NDP MP Bruce Hyer jumped to the party in 2013.

Because the Greens lack official party status, May only gets one official question a week during question period. But because she uses her Parliamentary desk as her office and is always in the chamber, the Speaker frequently gives her more floor time.

In public opinion polls, the party hovers around five per cent support. But May has not let this stand in her way as she seeks out new ways to exert influence.

“She’s brilliant in that. She did prep work even before she got elected,” said Adriane Carr, a former deputy Green Party leader, now a Vancouver councillor. “She had people researching every single way she could legally have effect as a single member of parliament.”

Her interns attend committees and take notes, information she uses in the House. This was the case with Bill C-38, which the Harper government used to gut the Environmental Assessment Act. By the time it was passed, May had made more than 400 amendments.

In 2012, she finessed a private member’s bill on Lyme disease through Parliament. These bills usually die on the order paper, but the Federal Framework on Lyme disease Act became the Greens’ first legislation to get unanimous support.

“Many people in politics told me I was making a mistake, that I should never show up in parliament because it wasn’t important, and that I should tour the country building the Green Party,” May said.

“I did not think that voters the of Saanich-Gulf Islands did something so brave as to unseat a sitting Conservative cabinet minister… for me to forget my job was to work for them.”

An author, environmentalist and lawyer by trade who started by battling insecticide spraying in Cape Breton, May ran the Sierra Club of Canada for 15 years. In the 1980s, she was an environmental adviser in Brian Mulroney’s Progressive Conservative government, but quit on principle when it issued permits for dams in Saskatchewan without an environmental assessment.

In 2003, just before her mother died, they discussed her future.

“I said I don’t think I want to go back to law, not the conventional practice, I’m certain I don’t want to go into politics, and I can’t just go to another environmental group,” May said.

She took up theology: “I figured my future would be in being a nice little old lady Anglican priest with a nice parish somewhere.”

Although politics won out, but her theological training left its mark. Former Liberal leader Bob Rae, who admires May, told Walrus magazine, “Sometimes she’s a bit too self-righteous, but that’s part of her theological makeup. She can’t help it.”

“She’s a workaholic, and it takes a toll on her personal life,” says Carr. “She works unbelievably hard and it is a real struggle for those around her to force her to take time off.”

May, who is divorced with an adult daughter, notes she is following in the footsteps of many Canadian women leaders who have been unable to sustain marriages because of work.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Fred Chartrand
0511 na may
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Fred Chartrand 0511 na mayTransportation Minister Lisa Raitt starts pulling Green Party leader Elizabeth May from the stage at Ottawa's annual press gallery dinner.
“I am happy, and happily single… but I work darn hard, and I don’t think there is a man on the planet who would put up with it,” said May, who estimates she works 16 hours a day, seven days a week. “You can’t do that and take care of family.”

But she can sometimes go too far in trying to attract attention, leading to embarrassing gaffes. These include her ill-timed support for former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi and her vulgarity-laden attempt at humour at the Parliamentary Press Gallery dinner in May when she turned the air blue.

“I don’t think seven minutes of bad comedy is anything like the track record of four years of working hard,” she said, adding, “I think I was elected to be a parliamentarian and not a comedian, and I am going to stick to that.”

She wrestles to explain why she continues and why she believes the Greens could hold the balance of power after Oct. 19.

“I don’t like politics. It is hard. But democracy is worth fighting for. When they said war is too important to be left to the generals, democracy is too important to be left to the politicians,” she said.

Then she laughed self-deprecatingly. “Actually, I haven’t said that before. That’s quite good… must say it again.”