PDA

View Full Version : Alone - Last man in woods win $500k

Pages : [1] 2

gwill
08-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Anyone watch the show on history channel called Alone? Its about 10 people from Canada and the united states that get dropped off on Vancouver island with 10 items to survive as long as they can. Last man standing wins $500,000.

Early on a bunch of them call it quits almost right away for different reasons. One guy setup his camp on a bear trail and another guy gets stalked by a cougar. The one American misses his gun on day one saying its the longest hes been away from it in many many years.

Pretty entertaining stuff...

Its down to 4 guys now. One of them is more resourceful then Macgyver. He made himself a canoe, a guitar, a crazy shelter... the guy can literally make anything from nothing.

Tik-Tok
08-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Ive caught bits and pieces of it.

Do they know when others have quit? Or will the last guy still be out there MONTHS after the 2nd last guy quits, lol?

spikerS
08-06-2015, 10:28 PM
That would have been pretty awesome to participate in!

what 10 things would I bring?

1) Hatchet
2) Rope saw
3) Large knife
4) Flint and Steel
5) Sleeping bag
6) bug repellent
7) steel pot
8) long length of rope
9) Metal water bottle
10) Shovel

flipstah
08-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Can you pick your 10 items or whatever is in a backpack like in Battle Royale?

NoPulp
08-06-2015, 10:46 PM
This sounds entertaining. No bad I don't watch TV much anymore.

revelations
08-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
This sounds entertaining. No bad I don't watch TV much anymore.

:werd: I may have to put in on my "winter" PC tube watch list.

Also, what time of year was it set in?

gwill
08-06-2015, 11:50 PM
No they don't know when others have quit. They're all waiting for a boat to show up and take them away for being the last one left.

You do get to pick what 10 items you want to bring. They seemed to have varied quite a bit between everyone. History has a list of items that everyone brought on their website. A couple of the last guys remaining had large fishing nets as one of their items.

I assume it's set late fall beginning of winter. It doesn't actually say but the latest episode had snow but because it's bc it would rain a day or two later.

It's pretty funny watching bears come right up to their tents while their awake or sleeping... Or watching a guy cry all night because he hears the wolves howling at night. Apparently you can hear them up to 10 miles away but not everyone knows that...

ekguy
08-07-2015, 12:22 AM
checking it out now. seems like an interesting concept for sure. does any bear grylls their own urine?

Unknown303
08-07-2015, 06:48 AM
This shows pretty sweet. You can watch it right off the history channels website, which also gives you the information about what they could take and which individual items each person took out as well.

flipstah
08-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Oh fuck I have to see this.

civic_stylez
08-07-2015, 08:43 AM
I have been watching this since the start. I was jacked after the trailers started playing a few months before it aired. I definitely thought they would place then in a more habitable area with more supplies but I was shocked/impressed to see how tough it really is for them. The food is non existent and the complete seclusion is making the last 4 guys completely mental. Now that winter is setting in, its going to get really rough. Im impressed with a few of the guys ability to make shelters and tools. Buddy even made a guitar last night... I would have loved to have tried the show but it definitely looks tough as hell.

revelations
08-07-2015, 09:15 AM
If it was me, I would read tons of books by the natives in that area - who lived there the past 10,000 years just fine. They dealt with bears and cougars all the time no doubt.

kenny
08-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Pfft lame CBS did this ages ago, I think it was called Survivor.

:rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
08-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Any way to know for sure this isn't staged or the contestants aren't helped in any way? Shows like this go from being potentially awesome to garbage as soon as you find out they get help. Like Mantracker haha - no wonder he finds them all the time with a 3-man camera crew following him around. Or Bear Grylis hanging out in hotels or getting air-lifted out when things get really bad.

Maybe the History Channel is a bit better for that sort of thing though.

gwill
08-07-2015, 10:18 AM
They all have their own portable cameras they set up so they don't even have camera crews following them. So when the one guy was getting stalked by a cougar all night he called on his satellite phone to get the hell out but it took them many hours to get to them. Meanwhile the cameras he setup shows the cougar right outside his tent for a long while...

Another guy got chased by a bear when he called the sat phone. Because it was at night when they got the call they had to walk many miles from the closest drop off point to find him to get him out.

So far it looks like there is zero assistance. But I'm only basing it off all the guys quitting and crying their eyes out from being so secluded. I'm curious how many days they will make it.... 60 days alone Eating next to no one, talking only to yourself and the animals.... I would be like Tom hanks on castaway. If I wasn't dead already...

JustinL
08-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by gwill
60 days alone Eating next to no one,

I was pretty "meh" on this idea until I read this! If this show is about eating your competitors, then I'm in.

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2015, 10:43 AM
They all have their own portable cameras they set up so they don't even have camera crews following them. So when the one guy was getting stalked by a cougar all night he called on his satellite phone to get the hell out but it took them many hours to get to them. Meanwhile the cameras he setup shows the cougar right outside his tent for a long while...

Another guy got chased by a bear when he called the sat phone. Because it was at night when they got the call they had to walk many miles from the closest drop off point to find him to get him out.

So far it looks like there is zero assistance. But I'm only basing it off all the guys quitting and crying their eyes out from being so secluded. I'm curious how many days they will make it.... 60 days alone Eating next to no one, talking only to yourself and the animals.... I would be like Tom hanks on castaway. If I wasn't dead already...

My one question is how to they keep power to the cameras, or did they send them with a years supply of batteries to make sure they don't run out?

It for sure seems legit, hopefully it remains that way so when I get a chance to watch it all of the appeal is still there. It's a great concept, I am 1000 percent sure that I wouldn't be able to make it over a week.

Mitsu3000gt
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
^^ Solar chargers maybe? But if not, good point. Whose to say the battery guy doesn't bring them food or supplies.

Sounds like it might be legit, time will tell I guess.

Disoblige
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
I probably could do it for a month, as mentally that is easier. But 60 days sounds brutal and whoever wins that $500k totally earns it. Although I'd probably get used to it by a month's time though if I haven't already cracked.

Tik-Tok
08-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
^^ Solar chargers maybe? But if not, good point. Whose to say the battery guy doesn't bring them food or supplies.

Sounds like it might be legit, time will tell I guess.

I imagine for liability reasons, they have a medic/doctor check on them every few days. Some people would probably refuse to quit even if they were dying.

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I imagine for liability reasons, they have a medic/doctor check on them every few days. Some people would probably refuse to quit even if they were dying.

I doubt it, Lawyers and waivers can address all of that prior to commencement. You know what you're getting into, pass a minimum medical standard, sign off on the waiver after reviewing with independent legal council and you're off to the races.

Mitsu3000gt
08-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That makes it pointless then, if there is a safety net. I'm not saying its unimpressive because being out there for that long would suck regardless, but if there is a doctor checking in every few days or something like that, they aren't surviving on their own at all. The guys would probably do stuff they wouldn't normally, knowing the doctor will fix them right up the next day. Sure, quit when you want, but if they are holding you hand at all while you "survive" it defeats the purpose IMO. If any of them are dumb enough to die instead of quit for the sake of a TV show I would be surprised, but the show shouldn't be liable for that.

austic
08-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Started watching it due to this thread. two episodes in and I am impressed. I would like to know about the batteries too. hopefully the address that.

Unknown303
08-07-2015, 01:42 PM
If you see how some of the guys quit a few episodes in you'll have no doubt that they are there on their own. It's crazy some of the shit they go through. And it makes for some interesting TV.

austic
08-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
If you see how some of the guys quit a few episodes in you'll have no doubt that they are there on their own. It's crazy some of the shit they go through. And it makes for some interesting TV.
Ya that bear evac was intense... we will be there in 3 hours... yet the bear is outside his tent. Someone could have been killed for sure there.

gwill
08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
I asked the mrs about the batteries a few shows in. She recalled seeing a huge battery pack dropped off with one of the contestants when they first get left at their spot. I assume they need large amounts of batteries as the one camera they are told to setup outside of their tent to catch wild life walking around them.

I tried checking history channels website but from your phone it sucks... I would guess they have additional information there.

Like others have said when the guys leave the island they are typically scared for their life. I don't doubt it's fake but who knows. At least this show unlike big brother or other reality shows would have very minimal interference at all.

revelations
08-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Pfft lame CBS did this ages ago, I think it was called Survivor.

Wasnt this done in warm tropical climates?

Regarding the show, if I had to choose a spot on Vancouver Island - it would be on the East coast and close to a river (like the Natives did). West coast essentially becomes a storm/rain area from Nov - March.

edit - just started the 1st EP of S1, North West Vancouver Island is a place where even Natives didnt want to live very much.

btimbit
08-07-2015, 08:54 PM
This sounds good I'll have to check it out. Curious how I'd do, I've seen every episode of survivorman at least 3+ times:rofl:

Seth1968
08-08-2015, 12:21 AM
At least this show unlike big brother or other reality shows would have very minimal interference at all.

Ya, just like the lone cave diver:

"He's alone and in great danger now".

Except for those pesky camera dudes.

Kobe
08-08-2015, 12:41 PM
http://www.history.ca/alone/video/full-episodes/and-so-it-begins/video.html?v=464936515735#alone/video/full-episodes

its online too

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Watched an episode of this last night and I have to say it seems legit. It could be slightly staged but probably not too much. The one guy who I thought would possibly win quit first, I would too if I got dropped in a bear's den with cubs haha.

gwill
08-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Some of the contestants get dropped off in pretty bad spots(maybe on purpose?)but why would you setup your camp on a bear trail? Walk a while.. Find some where else to live.... It's not rocket science.

firebane
08-08-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm actually enjoying this show but being a outdoorsman myself these guys are doing a lot of stupid shit all the time and its infuriating.

Of the 4 guys left that I've been watching they are about the best with using their heads so I'm glad the other meat heads are gone.

And if none of you have ever spent any time in the woods isolated its unnerving and can screw with your head so quickly.

Tik-Tok
08-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by firebane

And if none of you have ever spent any time in the woods isolated its unnerving and can screw with your head so quickly.

Nahhh, not at all.

http://pix.avaxnews.com/avaxnews/d1/be/0001bed1_medium.jpeg :rofl:

Unknown303
08-08-2015, 02:37 PM
The last 4 are pretty decent. Watching episode 8 currently.

gwill
08-08-2015, 03:37 PM
I'm actually enjoying this show but being a outdoorsman myself these guys are doing a lot of stupid shit all the time and its infuriating.

Of the 4 guys left that I've been watching they are about the best with using their heads so I'm glad the other meat heads are gone.

I've flip flopped after the latest episode on who I think will win. The one guy utilized the plastic bottles he found in a really unique way... But the other guy is better at building stuff.

Overall I can't say any of the guys that left did anything unique. A few of The guys that are left have been pretty creative.

Unknown303
08-08-2015, 04:02 PM

I've flip flopped after the latest episode on who I think will win. The one guy utilized the plastic bottles he found in a really unique way... But the other guy is better at building stuff.

Overall I can't say any of the guys that left did anything unique. A few of The guys that are left have been pretty creative.

The one guy that's always building stuff seems to take risks without much reward, the older guy just seems to be drifting doing his day to day, conserving energy and being very creative when he has a reason to be and gets really good results from it. The younger kid with the pregnant wife at home is my guess for the next one to crack.

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Some of the contestants get dropped off in pretty bad spots(maybe on purpose?)but why would you setup your camp on a bear trail? Walk a while.. Find some where else to live.... It's not rocket science.

I don't know about all the sites, but some of them were so thick with foliage and trees that you really couldn't go anywhere. Sooner or later you need to set up camp, fire, look for food, etc. Also fresh water sources probably heavily influence where they set up.

Unknown303
08-08-2015, 07:24 PM
I thought two of the remaining guys actually did pretty long treks to find the spot they are setup in now.

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I thought two of the remaining guys actually did pretty long treks to find the spot they are setup in now.

Probably. Looked like some of the sites were way worse than others.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Did one guy call for a medical checkup or did I misunderstand something? I know he quit anyway, but the original call was for a medical checkup I thought. Also when the medics arrived they asked if he was sure he wanted to quit, implying that he could have got help and kept going. If they can call for medical, get patched up, and keep going that takes a lot of the danger out of it. Maybe I misread that though, maybe they can only help them if they also quit.

Also some of these guys seem to be quitting way too early because they get home sick. I realize it would be boring as hell out there unless you were working on stuff, but it hadn't even been a month yet. These are supposed to be "trained survival experts" according to the disclaimer on the show haha. I feel like next season (if there is one) will bring out some more hardcore guys because people will watch the show and think they can do better.

The guys that have built substantial housing, boats, and can catch fish seem to be in a position to stay out there as long as they want. I'm impressed with their success catching large salmon and such just from their nets and float lines.

I haven't read much about the gear, but were they not allowed to take water purification devices like a LifeSaver Bottle or a UV purifier?

Unknown303
08-10-2015, 09:32 AM
The guy with the boat is nuts. I feel like he's the wildcard since he always has grand plans that could end in disaster, but he also made probably the best living quarters and is very resourceful. The old guy has a pretty good Zen approach to everything making me think he'll go for the long haul.

firebane
08-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Did one guy call for a medical checkup or did I misunderstand something? I know he quit anyway, but the original call was for a medical checkup I thought. Also when the medics arrived they asked if he was sure he wanted to quit, implying that he could have got help and kept going. If they can call for medical, get patched up, and keep going that takes a lot of the danger out of it. Maybe I misread that though, maybe they can only help them if they also quit.

Also some of these guys seem to be quitting way too early because they get home sick. I realize it would be boring as hell out there unless you were working on stuff, but it hadn't even been a month yet. These are supposed to be "trained survival experts" according to the disclaimer on the show haha. I feel like next season (if there is one) will bring out some more hardcore guys because people will watch the show and think they can do better.

The guys that have built substantial housing, boats, and can catch fish seem to be in a position to stay out there as long as they want. I'm impressed with their success catching large salmon and such just from their nets and float lines.

I haven't read much about the gear, but were they not allowed to take water purification devices like a LifeSaver Bottle or a UV purifier?

I think your referring to the guy who kept deciding to drink water from a stream and never boiled it. He was getting physically ill because he decided later to walk up the stream and found dead fish and it was in a giant swamp.

When the crew showed up they asked if he was drinking the water and he said yes. They told him it was unsafe.

You don't drink ANY large amounts of water in the wilderness without boiling it first which is part of surviving and why they got nothing to help with that.

austic
08-10-2015, 09:52 AM
will be interesting to see how they hold up once the winter really sets in.

firebane
08-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by austic
will be interesting to see how they hold up once the winter really sets in.

The one thing that has really surprised me is how little trapping these guys do. They all either had paracord or fishing line which makes for some very simple and basic snares.

The winter would make this a easier task cause you could see the trails from the animals but even without snow those animals still exist.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM

I think your referring to the guy who kept deciding to drink water from a stream and never boiled it. He was getting physically ill because he decided later to walk up the stream and found dead fish and it was in a giant swamp.

When the crew showed up they asked if he was drinking the water and he said yes. They told him it was unsafe.

You don't drink ANY large amounts of water in the wilderness without boiling it first which is part of surviving and why they got nothing to help with that.

Yeah that's the guy. When the medics came, they handed him some water, asked if he was OK, etc. Then they asked if he for sure wanted to quit, which I interpreted as an option to stay despite the access to medical staff, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I wonder if the camera crews didn't' take video of these guys' areas at some point (maybe before or after). Some of the shots seem way too artistic to be filmed by guys who barely have any electronics knowledge haha. I'm sure it's all heavily edited, but I'm surprised to see shots where they set up a camera and walk into the sunset perfectly exposed, etc. Maybe they got some videography training beforehand haha.

Of the 4 guys left I think the old guy and the boat guy have the best chance. The guy with the long hair is crazy good at making fires and some other stuff, but he lost his fishing net. Also now that I see how cold it gets there, it's a good thing that guy quit who lost his flint haha - he would be so screwed. The old guy's giant fish traps are pretty sweet, but I don't think he's caught anything yet. I think the young guy is losing it, he eats mostly mice and seems to be the most homesick. I didn't see how, but it looked like he got a big fish though recently.

I also haven't seen anyone use a bow & arrow yet, but in the previews they show it. Did I miss that? There's got to be deers, big birds, etc. around there.

KO22
08-10-2015, 10:42 AM
I want the guy with the boat to win, seriously dude made a friggen boat haha! I would have moved all my crap over to the island across from him to escape the bears/cougars but seems like he has no/less problems with dangerous wildlife now. He said he plans to make an outdoor steam room now? lol I hope to see this, very creative.

The old dude would be a plausible winner, always has good luck catching food to eat, and conserving all the energy he has. The 22 yr old seems like he is about to lose it and give up. The long hair guy I think is going to completely lose his mind (if not done so already). Him just staring at the camera creeps me out haha.

firebane
08-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Yeah that's the guy. When the medics came, they handed him some water, asked if he was OK, etc. Then they asked if he for sure wanted to quit, which I interpreted as an option to stay despite the access to medical staff, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I wonder if the camera crews didn't' take video of these guys' areas at some point (maybe before or after). Some of the shots seem way too artistic to be filmed by guys who barely have any electronics knowledge haha. I'm sure it's all heavily edited, but I'm surprised to see shots where they set up a camera and walk into the sunset perfectly exposed, etc. Maybe they got some videography training beforehand haha.

Of the 4 guys left I think the old guy and the boat guy have the best chance. The guy with the long hair is crazy good at making fires and some other stuff, but he lost his fishing net. Also now that I see how cold it gets there, it's a good thing that guy quit who lost his flint haha - he would be so screwed. The old guy's giant fish traps are pretty sweet, but I don't think he's caught anything yet. I think the young guy is losing it, he eats mostly mice and seems to be the most homesick. I didn't see how, but it looked like he got a big fish though recently.

I also haven't seen anyone use a bow & arrow yet, but in the previews they show it. Did I miss that? There's got to be deers, big birds, etc. around there.

You basically nailed it with the homesick part. I realize this is a massive undertaking of the mind and especially being away from family. But you need to suck it up and realize its 500k on the line and that can go a long ways for your family.

For example Alan has 3 kids and 500k would go great towards a college fund for those kids.

sexualbanana
08-10-2015, 10:58 AM

That makes it pointless then, if there is a safety net. I'm not saying its unimpressive because being out there for that long would suck regardless, but if there is a doctor checking in every few days or something like that, they aren't surviving on their own at all. The guys would probably do stuff they wouldn't normally, knowing the doctor will fix them right up the next day. Sure, quit when you want, but if they are holding you hand at all while you "survive" it defeats the purpose IMO. If any of them are dumb enough to die instead of quit for the sake of a TV show I would be surprised, but the show shouldn't be liable for that.

I don't think it works like that. Even with waivers, the producers of the show still have to be responsible for the well being of the contestants. Admittedly, it's a delicate balancing act given the survival context of this show, but I think the producers would still be legally responsible if any of its contestants were in any kind of medical emergency.

Unknown303
08-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I don't think it works like that. Even with waivers, the producers of the show still have to be responsible for the well being of the contestants. Admittedly, it's a delicate balancing act given the survival context of this show, but I think the producers would still be legally responsible if any of its contestants were in any kind of medical emergency.

If you've ever watched the after the show stuff from Naked and Afraid that's a good indicator of how these reality shows pan out. Some of the contestants end up with serious illness', parasites etc.

The guy that called in assistants after drinking all the water was a goner, I don't know why they even asked if he was going to carry on, Spending all that time just drinking random water. :banghead: Pretty sure his survival experience was non existent.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Could these guys not have picked Lifesaver Bottles as one of their items? I know it does nothing for salt water, but they wouldn't have to worry about anything in the creeks & streams. That would be the first thing on my list.

firebane
08-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Could these guys not have picked Lifesaver Bottles as one of their items? I know it does nothing for salt water, but they wouldn't have to worry about anything in the creeks & streams. That would be the first thing on my list.

As long as you have fire you have all the possible water you need to drink. And considering how much rain/snow fall happens there is no shortage of water.

Its just a lot of stupid decisions these guys make and it looks bad.

sputnik
08-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Exactly. Someone signing a waiver does not give you complete indemnity over their death.

Seth1968
08-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Exactly. Someone signing a waiver does not give you complete indemnity over their death.

Yep, and I suspect there is constant contact between the contestants and the producers. How else are the producers going to know if a contestant wants out or is seriously injured?

lamp_shade_2000
08-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Isn't this why you see them setup game cameras around the camps sites? They also have sat phones and in one episode when there's a bear in the site, the rescue crew. (Or producers) call the contestant to make sure he's ok. And that's when he says he wants out. I figured those game cameras were transmitting to the rescue team somehow.

Either way. I started watching this show after seeing this thread and I must say I like it. Always been a fan of survivor man and this seems similar. Looking forward to the next couple episodes

Dave P
08-10-2015, 01:00 PM
I do wonder if the bears and cougars are still around. First few episodes it was all about them. Haven't seen one in a while. I wonder if the animals become used to them once they have set up camp. Or if they are still having run-ins with them but they are not as close.

Unknown303
08-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Yep, and I suspect there is constant contact between the contestants and the producers. How else are the producers going to know if a contestant wants out or is seriously injured?

Have you watched it? They have an emergency sat phone and an emergency beacon they use if they need to be evacuated. Some of the guys that have quit took hours to location and even involved search parties to find.

Seth1968
08-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Have you watched it? They have an emergency sat phone and an emergency beacon they use if they need to be evacuated. Some of the guys that have quit took hours to location and even involved search parties to find.

What if a contestant wasn't able to use such emergency equipment? For example, a contestant falls, cracks his skull, and goes into a coma?

I find it hard to believe that the producers and their insurance company would allow anything but some sort of constant surveillance.

A waiver means almost nothing in front of a susceptible jury.

Unknown303
08-10-2015, 02:23 PM

What if a contestant wasn't able to use such emergency equipment? For example, a contestant falls, cracks his skull, and goes into a coma?

I find it hard to believe that the producers and their insurance company would allow anything but some sort of constant surveillance.

A waiver means almost nothing in front of a susceptible jury.

Everything I have read on it stresses that there is no intervention until they quit. Even some articles from the competitiors after the fact seem to really point out how they had no interaction.

One snippet from an article;

Quatsino First Nation land on northwestern Vancouver Island was selected as the location because its waterways provided a naturally occurring separation between the contestants, so they probably wouldn’t run into each other. Each contestant had a satellite phone – which they could use to “tap out” when they had had enough – and a GPS locator. A team nearby on the island was on standby, monitoring the contestants’ locations and ready to pick them up if they received a call.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/in-historys-survival-show-alone-jeff-probst-isnt-coming-to-save-you/article25181677/

Pretty much shows that they knew where they were relatively with GPS and had a Sat phone to call for extraction.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm an asshole and a liar

It’s typical in this day of “reality” TV, to doubt things are as they’ve been made to appear. One of the first questions for us had to do with the idea of the contestants filming themselves; how do they charge the batteries and download the footage? History was more than willing to give us the details, stating “Once a week the rescue team carried out a medical examination to ensure the survivalists were mentally and physically fit to continue. Memory cards and batteries were swapped out at this time“.

gwill
08-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Who cares if they swap out the camera batteries and see people for a quick 15 min period... Doesn't change the isolation they are in, the starvation or the lonliness of being left to their thoughts.

A prisoner in solitary confinement will see people more often the the contestants that are left.

I don't need to look for a reason to hate this show I enjoy it for what it is.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Well that's disappointing. Knowing you have weekly medical checkups changes things. You could take way bigger risks knowing that as long as you didn't die, you could just call or wait for your checkup to get fixed up. Knowing you had a medical the next day could totally be the difference between drinking questionable water and not drinking it. Still definitely some risk there, just not as much. That being said, maybe the medicals were just to see if they were OK rather than to actually administer care (like the doctor in a UFC fight for example). That also might explain some of the better footage they have of the guys haha.

Still an interesting show, I like seeing all the stuff the guys build.

Also I was wondering why nobody found berries. The bear scat was full of berries, so you'd think there was some in the area. They were all complaining about lack of sugar, and that would be one solution.

firebane
08-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Well that's disappointing. Knowing you have weekly medical checkups changes things. You could take way bigger risks knowing that as long as you didn't die, you could just call or wait for your checkup to get fixed up. Knowing you had a medical the next day could totally be the difference between drinking questionable water and not drinking it. Still definitely some risk there, just not as much. That also might explain some of the better footage they have of the guys haha.

Also I was wondering why nobody found berries. The bear scat was full of berries, so you'd think there was some in the area. They were all complaining about lack of sugar, and that would be one solution.

Honestly its all these small details that is driving me nuts. I mean the one guy found mushrooms so why would you not continue to hunt for them. Or look for berries? Most people don't even know that you can actually eat witches hair/old mans beard although not necessarily tasty. It just seems like these guys are doing the bare minimum to survive at times and want to sit around and be all mopey.

Look at any of the guys and the only two guys have done anything really remotely smart is the canoe building and Alan building a kitchen away from his camp because of animals.

austic
08-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Well that's disappointing. Knowing you have weekly medical checkups changes things. You could take way bigger risks knowing that as long as you didn't die, you could just call or wait for your checkup to get fixed up. Knowing you had a medical the next day could totally be the difference between drinking questionable water and not drinking it. Still definitely some risk there, just not as much. That being said, maybe the medicals were just to see if they were OK rather than to actually administer care (like the doctor in a UFC fight for example). That also might explain some of the better footage they have of the guys haha.

From what I have read there is a difference between medical check up vs providing care. I think medical just makes sure they are able to continue and can pull them if needed. I would assume at this point the guy don't want to be pulled out by medical.

Compared to similar shows I think they do a great job of maintaining isolation yet providing a decent enough show cinematography wise that people would want to watch.

I think whoever wins will be the person that is least attached to home.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah I think the medicals are probably just to see how they are doing rather than a "OK let's get you all fixed up" sort of thing. That's reasonable.

Also I guess it depends on how bad you want to conserve calories, but they do complain about being bored all the time. Only 2 of the guys are actually building cool stuff, keeping their minds occupied, and planning the next thing they want to build or do. Why not make a small log cabin or a little village of huts? You got nothing but time. I guess that also puts more wear on your tools, increases the chance of injury, and will require a lot more food & water so maybe that's why.

I feel like this is a show where progressive seasons will always be better because people will watch the show and be like "I would do this, and this, and this" or "I can't believe he isn't doing _____" and it will slowly bring out people who are better at survival techniques. I also feel like none of these guys are the pinnacle of survivalists, but the old guy and the guy with the boat are the most impressive. The guy with the long hair is really good with fire and some other small things, but overall probably not the best. The young guy doesn't have a chance with his home sickness and mouse traps.

It would be cool to see some military survivalists, local natives, or people like that as contestants. The fact that most of these guys could barely go a month without losing it suggests there are probably people much better at this out there.

When it's done, do they tell the last guy? Or do they wait until he quits? I'd be so mad if I was out there for a week longer without a reason to be haha.

Anyway my complaints are pretty minor, I do like the show more than I thought I would.

firebane
08-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Yeah I think the medicals are probably just to see how they are doing rather than a "OK let's get you all fixed up" sort of thing. That's reasonable.

Also I guess it depends on how bad you want to conserve calories, but they do complain about being bored all the time. Only 2 of the guys are actually building cool stuff, keeping their minds occupied, and planning the next thing they want to build or do. Why not make a small log cabin or a little village of huts? You got nothing but time. I guess that also puts more wear on your tools, increases the chance of injury, and will require a lot more food & water so maybe that's why.

I feel like this is a show where progressive seasons will always be better because people will watch the show and be like "I would do this, and this, and this" or "I can't believe he isn't doing _____" and it will slowly bring out people who are better at survival techniques. I also feel like none of these guys are the pinnacle of survivalists, but the old guy and the guy with the boat are the most impressive. The guy with the long hair is really good with fire and some other small things, but overall probably not the best. The young guy doesn't have a chance with his home sickness and mouse traps.

It would be cool to see some military survivalists, local natives, or people like that as contestants. The fact that most of these guys could barely go a month without losing it suggests there are probably people much better at this out there.

When it's done, do they tell the last guy? Or do they wait until he quits? I'd be so mad if I was out there for a week longer without a reason to be haha.

Anyway my complaints are pretty minor, I do like the show more than I thought I would.

Two of the guys who dropped out HAD a background in this stuff. The one guy who lost his ferro rod is actually a backwoods trainer and the guy who was drinking the crappy water is ex military.

Type_S1
08-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Are you allowed to hunt your opponents? Set up a mobile camp and try to find an opponent and sabotage his camp? Take supplies, etc? It would require a lot of energy and many days of travel but if you know how to survive in the woods and properly collect berries, mushrooms, plants, etc. to survive it would be genius. You would have your mind set on something (tracking, destroying a competitor) which would help you push on.

Edit: or maybe I'm just an ass hOle who would enjoy messing with people.

gwill
08-10-2015, 05:44 PM
^ haha. That idea makes it an entirely different show but it would be hilarious to see... Of course the second your camping someone else's camp someone would be destroying yours.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2015, 06:07 PM

Two of the guys who dropped out HAD a background in this stuff. The one guy who lost his ferro rod is actually a backwoods trainer and the guy who was drinking the crappy water is ex military.

True but none of them seemed great at what they did. The guy who lost his ferro rod actually had an awesome new location, he might have gone far if he didn't make such a critical error. I dunno, regardless of background, there is no way any of these guys are the pinnacle of survivalists haha.

Type_S1
08-10-2015, 06:08 PM
But the thing is your camp would/should be mobile. You would be the only one doing it this season and win!

malbadon
08-10-2015, 08:40 PM
thanks for getting me into this show. A rare reality show I'm enjoying. It might be the complete lack of the usual stupid voiceover/host.

revelations
08-10-2015, 09:02 PM
One of my friends is a SARTECH in VI, lives part time in a log cabin off of Johnstone straight - he should have been on the show (and won) ..... :rofl:

austic
08-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I think the people were chose as they were not apex survivalists. Think of it this way, if you had 10 guys of that level this show might last for years and be boring as hell.

Unknown303
08-10-2015, 09:46 PM
They would all visit each other in their log cabins wearing bear pelts.

revelations
08-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Personally, I would have liked to see ingenuity from the pros (or maybe next time put an experienced Native bushman with them).

project240
08-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Where do I apply for next season? Haha.

I was telling my daughter about it and her first question was "do they have to hunt and kill the other competitors". Haha. I explained this wasn't the hunger games...

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2015, 10:07 AM
I wonder if there are any rules about teaming up. Some of these guys are only a couple miles apart, and one guy has a boat haha. It's unlikely, but wouldn't be impossible for one guy to find another.

Seth1968
08-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Alone? lol

DEEP WATER (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm)

Spectacular on all levels.

Unless you've seen this doc, I can't begin to discuss how profound it is.

civic_stylez
08-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Alone? lol

DEEP WATER (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm)

Spectacular on all levels.

Unless you've seen this doc, I can't begin to discuss how profound it is.

This looks crazy!

nzwasp
08-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by project240
Where do I apply for next season? Haha.

I was telling my daughter about it and her first question was "do they have to hunt and kill the other competitors". Haha. I explained this wasn't the hunger games...

Its not the hunger games however I wish they would have a gun shot or something when a guy left.

I bet the next season will include women because bear grylls has a show where 10 dudes have to survive alone on an island for 60 days and there was an uproar over why it was only men.

gwill
08-11-2015, 11:30 PM
we should work on a campaign to get a beyond know it all on next season only to see them as the first person leaving.

project240
08-12-2015, 07:01 AM
If only I knew how to fish, haha. Pretty sure I could build myself a kick ass cabin with an axe and saw.... Maybe I could fish with a net and spear

jacky4566
08-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Its not the hunger games however I wish they would have a gun shot or something when a guy left.

I bet the next season will include women because bear grylls has a show where 10 dudes have to survive alone on an island for 60 days and there was an uproar over why it was only men.

I bet only men are dumb enough to put in an application. :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
08-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Stuff the typical Beyonder will bring:
- iPad
- Socket wrench
- Extra pair of flip flops in case the first pair is lost
- Coffee grinder
- Designer wristwatch
- A tape deck with the A-team theme song on loop
- Safety googles

gwill
08-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566

I bet only men are dumb enough to put in an application. :rofl:

There are some bad ass chicks on naked and alone show. Some of them end up doing way better then the beef eating special forces army Rangers.

Personally I'm not sure I'd like the show as much if all the contestants were crazy woodsmen that can survive anywhere. The know it all risk takers with a bit of knowledge make it more entertaining.

There's also the raft TV show where 2 people get dropped off in a raft in the the middle of the ocean and must survive until it reaches shore. It always has one female... That almost seems worst then getting dropped off on Vancouver island as you have way more limitations... Although you won't be out for more then 5-7 days in the ocean.

sexualbanana
08-12-2015, 02:42 PM
we should work on a campaign to get a beyond know it all on next season only to see them as the first person leaving.

Put me in, coach

Seth1968
08-12-2015, 07:57 PM
I don't need to look for a reason to hate this show I enjoy it for what it is.

Ah yes, that proverbial, "If you question certain aspects, then you must be against it".

It's the same when I question aspects of vaccinations. The end result is, "How dare you question us".

You're either with the terrorists or against us. :rofl:

adamc
08-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Saw this thread a few days ago, was intrigued, downloaded the first episode..

Then downloaded the next 7 and binge watched over the course of the last two days.

Fuckin' awesome show, and thankfully devoid of the usual reality TV hallmarks (annoying voiceovers, made up drama, etc.)

Lucas has proven himself extremely adaptable, and I think his various projects (guitar, boat, etc.) have gone a long way to preserve his sanity. Very impressive skills.

Alan is hilarious, and you can tell he's very intelligent after you get past his southern drawl. Easily the most emotionally secure contestant at this point.

Pretty sure it will come down to those two, with Alan winning. Though all the guys that are left deserve props for getting that far. I love me some camping, and consider myself pretty handy in backwoods situations, but I sure as hell wouldn't be lasting more than a week out there alone.

Last episode tonight I think?

jacky4566
08-13-2015, 01:34 PM
It seems like there was more luck of the draw with some of these guys sites. Really shitty sits with more marsh or more chance of wildlife.

Although not boiling your water and getting sick was a really dumb move. Who wont want warm water out in the freezing wet forest.

I wonder if there were told not to stray more than X distance from the drop point?

Still catching up.

nzwasp
08-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Some guys on reddit said it was 10 episodes total. Maybe one of those will be like a wrap up type thing though.

If you are interested in this there is another series about a guy doing alone and naked on an island in the pacific and filmed it all him self and he was out there for 2 months.

and that show is called: Naked and Marooned with Ed Stafford

jacky4566
08-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Someone should do a Celebrity version. How many hours can you camp with Gilbert Gottfried? :rofl:

revelations
08-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Someone should do a Celebrity version. How many hours can you camp with Gilbert Gottfried? :rofl:

OMG stick the Kardashians in there right now, and make them stay a MINIMUM of 3 nights .... (or just forget them all together).

I'd pay upwards of 20$ to see that show to the end !!

jaeden
08-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Also started watching based on this thread. Really interested in the emotional impact on these guys after the first couple weeks. The combination of isolation, uncertainty, and the poor sleep/diet seems to really be an important factor after getting somewhat established.

Also interesting that the two guys leaving on tonight's episode basically just decided they had stayed long enough, rather than being forced to quit for safety, etc.

According to the schedule on the website, next week is the last episode.

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Episode 9 sucked. Everyone just sat around and got emotional for 45 mins, then the 2 remaining guys both claimed they would stay no matter what, but they seem to flip-flop on that idea every episode haha. I know it must suck out there but they way some of them are acting you'd think they were away from home for 10 years. I'm sure your family would rather you stay out another few days and bring home the $500K haha. Worst episode so far IMHO.

nzwasp
08-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Did lucas 10 items include an axe and 9 tarps?

Mys73ri0
08-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Joe Robinet mentioned in this YouTube video that the 10 items each person got to bring along had to be chosen from History Channel’s pre-made list of 40. While he mentions that he is not at liberty to say what the 40 items on the list provided by the History Channel were, he does mention that a water filter/purifier was not one of the items on the list, and thus, they could not select it to take with them on the show.

Joe also mentions that most of the men ended up with similar items as their 10 – and that a number of the men actually chose the exact same 10 items to use. He states that this is because there were many items on that list of 40 provided by History that no person in their right mind would bring along with them.

Mitch Mitchell mentioned the fact that there was also a banned list on top of the list of 40 items provided.

Some other misc facts about History Channel’s list of 40 items:

The 40 items were grouped into categories (hunting/fishing, etc.)
Maximum pot size: 2 quarts *Got an email suggesting this might be the Mauviel M’Cook Stainless Steel 1.9 Quart Saucepan with Lid
Maximum paracord size: 20 m (approx. 66 feet)
Maximum gillnet size: 6 m long / 4 foot deep
Maximum weight of extra emergency rations: 5 lb
(As mentioned) water purifier/filter was not on this list, and thus could not be brought
The waterproof sleeve for sleeping bags counts as a separate item.

Some misc facts about the banned list:

No firearms
No metal wire snares
No foothold steel traps
No conibears
No bankline
No matches, lighters, etc.

All the men got to take at least a few pieces of gear that were not counted toward the 10 item limit. These included (there may be more & if you find more let me know):

Pack
Flare
Bear Spray
Life Jacket
12×12 tarp
5×7 tarp

link for more info:

http://morethanjustsurviving.com/alone-season-1-survival-gear/

jacky4566
08-14-2015, 09:40 PM
So really its more like. Here are your 10 items, good luck!

adamc
08-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Also this, straight from History's site:

http://media.history.ca/uploadedimages/pages/shows/history/alone/alone_infographic.jpg

Maxx Mazda
08-15-2015, 01:54 AM
I really like the show but don't know if I could do it. The actual survival part would be fine I'm sure, but from what I've seen this is 95% mental. After a month and not knowing if there is you and one other, or you and 6 others still, it would wear on me.

gwill
08-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Episode 9 sucked. Everyone just sat around and got emotional for 45 mins, then the 2 remaining guys both claimed they would stay no matter what, but they seem to flip-flop on that idea every episode haha. I know it must suck out there but they way some of them are acting you'd think they were away from home for 10 years. I'm sure your family would rather you stay out another few days and bring home the $500K haha. Worst episode so far IMHO.

I just caught it last night. It was a big cry fest but what can you expect 40 days in? What I found odd was the dread lock guy was barely seen in the last few episodes and then they show him for a few min??

I found 2 of the last remaining guys on Twitter if anyone uses it.

Kobe
08-17-2015, 11:28 AM

I just caught it last night. It was a big cry fest but what can you expect 40 days in? What I found odd was the dread lock guy was barely seen in the last few episodes and then they show him for a few min??

I found 2 of the last remaining guys on Twitter if anyone uses it.

He was most likely just not recording himself, like Alan said this is the first time i've recorded in days becuase nothing has been going on..

Alan has this in the bag IMO (the 40 year old)