PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Alarms?

ExtremeSi
08-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Does anyone on here recommend a motorcycle alarm? I've never had one before, but am considering installing one on my new bike. I always use a disc brake lock, but I'm not naive and I know that if a thief really wants my bike they can simply pick it up and take it.

Just wondering what other riders' thoughts are. I've installed car alarms, so I imagine a bike alarm would be similar except a lot simpler.

turbotrip
08-10-2015, 06:21 PM
When I bought my bike I went out and bought the most expensive alarm I could find. Scorpio with proximity sensors,engine kill switch, battery backup, etc. After 6 years of having to replace drained batteries and constantly jump starting my bike I finally sold it and haven't had to replace a battery since. The only thing it did was scare away some of the drunks who wanted to sit on the bike downtown once or twice, other than that I don't see any benefit of a bike alarm. Disk lock is the waY to go

revelations
08-10-2015, 06:36 PM
In Vancouver I would have gotten an alarm for sure, perhaps even a GPS tracker. Here in YYC, the theft market is a lot less pronounced.

I would consider where you park - if its on the street then an alarm might be a good idea.

ExtremeSi
08-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Ya it's parked in a garage the majority of the time, I was just trying to decide if it was worth my time to add an alarm for when it's on the street. I didn't think about the battery drain problem, good point.

Rocket1k78
08-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
The only thing it did was scare away some of the drunks who wanted to sit on the bike downtown once or twice, other than that I don't see any benefit of a bike alarm. Disk lock is the waY to go

:werd:

Like you said Extremesi, if a thief really wants your bike they can simply pick it up and take it.

The good thing now is the insurance costs for bikes has literally dropped to half of what it used to be so full coverage is affordable.