PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Fishing

SkiBum5.0
08-11-2015, 07:58 AM
I know there are a few people on here who are avid fishermen so I thought I'd ask for their help. I'd like to get into fishing, and have already started getting some gear. What I need help with is:

1. I'm looking for a do everything rod and reel combo - I'm not real keen on fly fishing for the moment, so this will probably be used on lake for pickerel, trout, etc.

2. Any places close by that don't require a boat? How about lakes nearby if I did have a small aluminum boat?

3. What other gear would you consider a must have for the tackle box?

sputnik
08-11-2015, 08:17 AM
There is an Abu Garcia rod/reel combo at Canadian Tire that is regularly $99.99 but goes on sale for $40 from time to time. I recently picked up a couple for the kids.

It is a decent rod and reel for $40 and if you set up the CT alerts on their website you can get notified when it goes on sale.

SkiBum5.0
08-11-2015, 08:24 AM
^thanks I'll add it to my alerts.

NoPulp
08-11-2015, 08:58 AM
I got some good deals at wholesale sports for my family, good selection.

I'm not familiar with lakes around calgary, can't really help you there. Only other thing I'll add is put a pair of needle-nose pliers in your tackle box for Pike if you haven't already, don't put your fingers in there Haha.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
The prices on the combo kits are pretty hard to beat for spincasting gear. BassPro had some nice setups when I was last in there.

SkiBum5.0
08-11-2015, 09:21 AM
^ ha yeah I'm not totally new to fishing, but most of my experience is from Northern Ontario in the early 90's but I do remember Pike. Thanks for the tips

syscal
08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Buddy of mine has one of these and loves it. http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Fly/Spin-Rod-and-Reel-Combo/product/44266/

I'll be picking one of those up for my next rod for sure.

EDIT :: In the store they have different action and they don't come with reels and also come in a smaller case that fits perfectly in a backpack.

Unknown303
08-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I got some good deals at wholesale sports for my family, good selection.

I'm not familiar with lakes around calgary, can't really help you there. Only other thing I'll add is put a pair of needle-nose pliers in your tackle box for Pike if you haven't already, don't put your fingers in there Haha.

Locking forceps are the best for that. I usually get mine from Princess Auto.

http://www.wpiinc.com/clientuploads/directory/products/Kelly_Forceps_4b5df05c231f3.jpg

NoPulp
08-11-2015, 12:59 PM
I prefer a good pair of needle nose.

sputnik
08-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I prefer a good pair of needle nose.

I agree. I prefer a needle nose grip over the scissor grip when removing hooks.

However if I want to keep the weight down (for backcountry trip) I will bring locking forceps.