PDA

View Full Version : Lactose Intolerant - New, Help?

NoPulp
08-13-2015, 05:03 PM
After over a year of feeling horrible, I finally got a good doctor that ran a bunch of tests to figure out the problem. Well today I found out I'm lactose intolerant... huge surprise to me since I've always drank a ton of milk and eaten many dairy products my entire life. What life is worth living without pizza?!?! :( mmmmm pizza :drool: :cry:

Anyways, doctor told me to cut out 100% for at least a year, then I can try some foods. I know that's going to be difficult, but I want to try to eliminate all of it to feel better. I know I can get medication, but I don't want to rely on it and would rather change my diet at least for the first bit especially since I don't think I'll be able to tell if the medication is actually working.

I suspect some of the members on here are lactose intolerant, so I'm seeking some advise...

1. Any good resources I can read? Doctor explained some basic things, but then gave me a crappy brochure. I've googled some things.

2. Any advice on things I should avoid? Perhaps a list of foods that contain lactose that I may not be aware about?

3. Restaurants... Any restaurants that are good to eat at? Chains that are easier to eat at?

I don't eat a ton of fast food, but occasionally there's a time where I have to grab something. Is there anywhere that's easier to find food to eat?

4. I've been going to the gym since I've finished school and work in an office now. I have been having protein shakes, can't take the powered I have anymore though... Anything else I can take? or just don't take anything?

Any help would be appreciated... never really had any dietary concerns so I'm kind of clueless how to live my life now.

HomespunLobster
08-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Muscle Milk for protein shakes supposedly are lactose free.

Are you lactose intolerant or lactose sensitive? Can be misdiagnosed. Known a few people who built themselves back up to drinking milk with probiotic prodcuts to get that bacteria back up in your bowels.

NoPulp
08-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Muscle Milk for protein shakes supposedly are lactose free.

Are you lactose intolerant or lactose sensitive? Can be misdiagnosed. Known a few people who built themselves back up to drinking milk with probiotic prodcuts to get that bacteria back up in your bowels.

I'll look into muscle milk. Thanks

My doctor told me to cut 100% out. I asked him how severe I was and he told me it's either you are or you're not lactose intolerant. No in between, he said I was. I asked him about my test results and it showed that my body didn't break down the lactose at all. They test the sugar levels during the period of the test, correct? Mine didn't change.

roopi
08-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Lots of protein powders that are lactose free. Cut out milk and ice cream completely. Go easy on the cheese for a bit and just do some trial and error. I can't handle milk and ice cream but if I have 4 slices of pizza I'm fine. Never actually tested though.

NoPulp
08-13-2015, 06:10 PM
For me it's not a bathroom issue, so the indications aren't immidiate. Upset stomach, feeling bloated/nauseous and overall feeling horrible. I'm just going to cut it all out, hopefully feel better for an extended period of time and then do some trial and error.

D'z Nutz
08-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Known a few people who built themselves back up to drinking milk with probiotic prodcuts to get that bacteria back up in your bowels.

I didn't even know about this. I should look into this. Any suggestions?

For me, it's only milk that gives me painful cramps and gas. I have no issues with cheese, yogurt, ice cream or anything. Just anything with liquid milk. For that I get lactaid drops to break down the lactose when I buy jugs of milk and I keep chewable tablets around for anytime I go get a milkshake or something on the go.

HomespunLobster
08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I didn't even know about this. I should look into this. Any suggestions?

For me, it's only milk that gives me painful cramps and gas. I have no issues with cheese, yogurt, ice cream or anything. Just anything with liquid milk. For that I get lactaid drops to break down the lactose when I buy jugs of milk and I keep chewable tablets around for anytime I go get a milkshake or something on the go.

I can't quote from experience, just from conversation. Just built up with yogurt and certain cheeses. mainly yogurt. One guy started witha spoonful of yogurt a day and now can just eat anything dairy.
I'm no doctor, I don't say this will work. Some people just can't do dairy. But doesn't hurt to try right? (Well, hurts the budget on the toilet paper bill)

Redlined_8000
08-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
For me it's not a bathroom issue, so the indications aren't immidiate. Upset stomach, feeling bloated/nauseous and overall feeling horrible. I'm just going to cut it all out, hopefully feel better for an extended period of time and then do some trial and error.

Just cut it out completely... Your body will thank you. If you want to indulge get some Lactace digestive enzymes for the occasion you eat some dairy. You will be fine dont worry.

For me I an very lactose intolerant. Even 0 lactose protein powder bothers me. Any cheese, yogurt, milk is a no go for me unless I take some lactace. But overall it has made me much more healthy as a result and forced me to learn about nutrition.

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 06:14 AM
That's how I've been trying to look at it, a good excuse to manage my diet.

I was pretty freaked out about things at first, but it should be easy to manage at home. Though I do have to cut some of my favorite foods out...

My major concern is restaurants and fast food...

403ep3
08-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Life as you know it has ended..:banghead:

jwslam
08-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by roopi
Cut out milk and ice cream completely.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/dairy-free-treats#.purjb2kXE

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Thank you for the link!
I've noticed the frozen yogurt places have a lot of selection for dairy free too. Luckily I've lost my sweet tooth from being so sick since that's one of the tings that upset my stomach the most. Same with alcohol, excited that one day I may be able to have more than one beverage.

flipstah
08-14-2015, 08:07 AM
You can get lactose-free milk nowadays.

benyl
08-14-2015, 08:42 AM
I figured this out in high school which was many moons ago.

Love chocolate milk. Would have the runs about 1 hour later. Took me a while to correlate it.

Anyway, I can't drink milk or eat white cheese like mozzarella (pizza) kills me.

I can have yogurt / frozen yogurt without any issues. I can also tolerate cheddar cheese.

When I eat yoga matt subway sandwiches, I always get cheddar or else I get the runs.

If I want ice cream, I eat one or two lactaid tablets before I enjoy. If I don't have lactaid (which is most of the time) then I don't get to eat ice cream. :cry:

R-Audi
08-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Im not so sure I buy the Lacotse tolerant or not bit... I know some people that get cramps and dia instantly, where I just get slightly bloated and gassy.

For me I mostly try to cut out milk, yogurt and newer cheeses (old harder cheeses like parmesan etc are fine) then have lactose pills when I get a craving for pizza etc. I also find some items are better or worse then others.. like McDonalds ice cream isnt that bad, compared to say Hagen Daas or Village. (Full cream)
For the Lactose free milk, I found lactaid to be the best.. which Starbucks also carries which is nice.

403ep3
08-14-2015, 10:42 AM
I haven't been tested, but find that I get major runs when I drink milk/milkshakes/desserts. There are some things where I am fine and don't bother with taking pills like cheese, yogurt, and the occasional ice cream as well. Milkshakes and regular milk are death.. :nut:

georgemagana
08-14-2015, 10:50 AM
^im super intolerant to lactose so i just carry lactase pills literally everywhere. Have a bottle on both cars, 1 at home and 1 at work, 1 at my friends house and at the my parents. Nothing will be on the way between pizza and me haha.

Starbucks is great like you said. For Yogurt, theres is a lactose feee one. Cant remember the name but that greek yougurt company makes it and it is delicious!

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Again I dont have bathroom issues that all of you are describing.

It's my stomach, like my stomach lining is screwed up and makes me feel ill. I haven't read about any "conditions" like mine, but lactose intolerance defintely showed up in the lab results. So I need to cut it all out for an extended period of time (recommended a year at least) to allow my body to return to normal. I understand there's certain things that may not affect me but I don't know what those are right now. I don't have an immidiate signs like "the runs".

flipstah
08-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Usually, any processed grains have some lactose in them (cheap sugar):

Granola bars, pancake mix thingies, etc. Just gotta start reading the label.

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Yeah went shopping last night and read everything. At home I can manage my diet easily. Eating out is going to be difficult...

Kari_310
08-14-2015, 01:08 PM
You will notice that once you have cut it out of your diet completely you will become a lot more sensitive to any kind of milk products, even baked goods that are usually made with milk and butter. As a result I make boxed desert things at home like cookies, cakes, etc. since you can use your own milk and butter and then freeze them so when I go out and have to sit there while everyone is eating cake I can at least go home and eat something to satisfy the craving.
Marble slab will do lactose free ice cream cakes and you can't taste the difference.

Some pizza places like UNA will allow you to switch out mozzarella for goat or feta cheese. I think panago does too.

And if you are looking for lactose pills, costco has the best deal on them you get a huge bottle of extra-strength pills for under $20

max_boost
08-14-2015, 01:46 PM
When I drink a glass of milk I would get the runs 50% of the time so that was enough for me to switch to lactose free milk but now I don't drink it at all.

I have no problems with cheese or ice cream though, yummy.

Vagabond142
08-14-2015, 02:14 PM
I am primary deficiency lactose intolerant, so I understand your struggles. I've been so for about 3 years now, so let me pass on what I've learned:

1) Rice milk goes on sale at superstore almost every week, 2 for $4 for 750mL cartons. I rarely used milk before, but rice milk is the most neutral flavored of the "something" milks. Almond milk tastes a lot like almonds, coconut milk is really tasty but full of coconut flavor. So, if having cereal, milk in coffee, etc, rice milk. If making pina colada smoothies, coconut milk :D

2) Eating out, I always have a couple of lactaids with me, and pop em before eating just in case. Always make your server aware that you are lactose intolerant, because most if not all restaurants will cater to dietary needs.

3) Starbucks will use lactose free milk, soy milk, etc, upon request

4) Superstore and Safeway (I haven't checked any other stores) both have lactose free or non-dairy items usually in their "natural foods" or "health foods" sections, and not much more than regular stuff. I love lactose free yogurt :D

5) If cheese makes you ill, try Daiya (have only found it in the tofu section at Superstore). It's cheese made from tapioca flour, and apart from being a bit more rubbery on the chew, it tastes just like cheddar, mozza, etc, and melts pretty much like it too, so you can make your own pizzas at home! They also have Daiya cream cheese, and it goes awesomely on bagels. I'm partial to the herb and garlic on whole wheat bagels.

6) If you ever get "lactosed" and don't have any pills handy, chow down on bread or saltines. Very porous, will absorb a lot of the free floating lactose and help settle the stomach. Be ready for some EPIC shits afterwards though XD

Im at work atm, so I'll update this as I remember things

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Kari: I've read some about being able to make my own "boxed deserts" so that'll be nice. Do the lactose free milk and butter seem to cook/bake similarly?

I googled Panago, couldn't find anything online but a vegan website came up and said one in town can use the lactose free "cheese". I'll be checking that out!

Vagabound: thank you! All very helpful.

I really like Japanese and Vietnamese foods so lucky most of that is safe. Going to go out for Japanese tonight and see how that goes.

wintonyk
08-14-2015, 05:34 PM
i am a lacky. Goat cheese works just fine for me though.

If you want your pizza fix Village flatbread co in Killarney can do regular cheese, goat cheese or vegan cheese, whatever tickles your fancy.

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Just went out for Japanese. That was difficult... everything I googled said there was a possibility.... still so hungry. Found out McDonald's has a really good site and many foods I can eat. At least I found fast food I can occasionally have.

zieg
08-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Huh, my doctor told me there can be a middle ground. I'm lactose intolerant but still do produce some lactase enzyme. It took me a while to figure out but it seems as if I store it. I could have a glass of milk right now and be fine, but if I had another one tomorrow I'd be in for a rough time.

Be careful about products that have added lactose as a sweetener. Dairy queen does that, so while I could have an ice cream from marble slab, the same amount from dairy queen would have me on the floor in a hurry.

How were you tested? For me, I had to fast overnight, then go in and drink a syrup, then sit and have blood drawn every half hour to measure the rate at which I was absorbing it.

NoPulp
08-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Similar test. Took blood (a bunch for other tests too) then giving a nasty drink and they took blood after 1hr and after 2hr. I thought my doctor was on crack for even testing me for it...

Sugarphreak
08-14-2015, 07:20 PM

GQBalla
08-15-2015, 01:04 AM
I don't eat a lot of dairy just because, Not lactose or anything

Almond Milk like stated above
There are many "ice cream" alternatives

If you're looking for protein powder, have you tried Whey Isolate?

still derived from Milk but Lactose intolerant users find they have can handle it.

or you can stop taking protein powders and drink a carton of egg whites instead.

Seth1968
08-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
For me, it's only milk that gives me painful cramps and gas. I have no issues with cheese, yogurt, ice cream or anything. Just anything with liquid milk.

Same here.

I just cut it out completely.

The only reason I drank the cow's mammary gland secretions, was because I was erroneously taught that it was good for health :rofl:

NoPulp
08-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Sugarphreak thanks for the help!

Lucky I don't have a sugar tooth anymore but there seems to be lots of options.

Kari_310
08-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Kari: I've read some about being able to make my own "boxed deserts" so that'll be nice. Do the lactose free milk and butter seem to cook/bake similarly?

I googled Panago, couldn't find anything online but a vegan website came up and said one in town can use the lactose free "cheese". I'll be checking that out!

Vagabound: thank you! All very helpful.

I really like Japanese and Vietnamese foods so lucky most of that is safe. Going to go out for Japanese tonight and see how that goes.

I find using almond or coconut milk in my baked goods actually makes them more tasty.

Also - check out Voodoo lounge on 16th ave they can do their whole menu lactose free since they have lactose free cheese - nachos, pizza, etc. it's also a gluten free place but surprisingly a normal place to get some pub food they usually have live bands playing or the games on.

Asian food - thai food is your friend since all their curries use coconut milk and the stirfrys are all milk free as well. I find thai food the easiest to eat with no reaction. Chinese food is probably the hardest since no one knows what's in it and anything deep fried probably has milk in the batter.

NoPulp
08-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Wish I would have known about the lounge this last weekend. I'll check it out next time I'm up.

Yeah I don't think I can do Chinese. Think I'm going out for Japanese again tonight, I think I have a better knowledge of what should be okay there...

Are most restaurants good about telling then about being lactose intolerant? I haven't asked for anything special or informed a server yet... just figured out what would likely be safe. I know I should, I just feel embarrassed/rude...

GTS Jeff
08-17-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't think it's that black and white...I've been partially lactose intolerant for a long time, and sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse.

I find I can build up my tolerance by eating lots of yogurt and kefir. Conversely, if I lay off lactose completely or use lactaid pills, my tolerance decreases. It's worst when I go on vacation and pop the pills like crazy because I'll start needing more and more.

For me, creamy foods, eggnog, and cheesy pizzas are the worst. But by no means am I that asshole who orders from a restricted menu.

Lactose intolerant guide to food:

-Dairy Queen ice cream is fine for some reason.
-Village coconut milk ice cream is as good as the real thing. For reference, I hate sorbets and soy milk ice cream
-hard and aged cheeses are nearly lactose free
-drinking temporarily makes me more lactose intolerant

Jeff TYPE R
08-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Wish I would have known about the lounge this last weekend. I'll check it out next time I'm up.

Yeah I don't think I can do Chinese. Think I'm going out for Japanese again tonight, I think I have a better knowledge of what should be okay there...

Are most restaurants good about telling then about being lactose intolerant? I haven't asked for anything special or informed a server yet... just figured out what would likely be safe. I know I should, I just feel embarrassed/rude... 96% of Chinese people are lactose intolerant to some degree. Chinese food is fine.

NoPulp
08-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
96% of Chinese people are lactose intolerant to some degree. Chinese food is fine.
Do Chinese eat our "Chinese food"?

flipstah
08-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Asians develop lactose intolerance through time. Anything processed (condensed/evaporated milk) seems fine but 2% and you're down for the count.

Lactose-free milk is still milk. It's just missing lactose and tastes oddly sweet.

Almond milk is cheaper by a dollar.

bulaian
08-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Drinking Lactose free milk made me feel worse than regular cow's milk.

If you have a Costco membership, you can buy a 3 pack of 2L Almond Milk for under $9. Safeway, Co-Op etc it will usually run you $4-$5 for a 2L

For cooking most things, I've switched to Coconut oil also, instead of butter

Cos
08-17-2015, 08:57 PM

firebane
08-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

6) If you ever get "lactosed" and don't have any pills handy, chow down on bread or saltines. Very porous, will absorb a lot of the free floating lactose and help settle the stomach. Be ready for some EPIC shits afterwards though XD

Im at work atm, so I'll update this as I remember things

My guys are some of the most sensitive and I've had blood work done and it shows I'm not lactose intolerant but for those times when my stomach absolutely detests me this is what I find works awesome to help settle my stomach.

It seems like the juices/gases in my stomach get out of whack and well crackers seems to absorb it all.

Jeff TYPE R
08-17-2015, 09:23 PM

Do Chinese eat our "Chinese food"? No, they eat human hair soy sauce and mink disguised as lamb.

thrasher22
08-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Kari_310
Marble slab will do lactose free ice cream cakes and you can't taste the difference.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
-Village coconut milk ice cream is as good as the real thing.

I had no idea, you guys just made my week!!

Avatara Pizza on Memorial drive & 34 Street does great lactose free pizza. The whole place is gluten free as well, which is great since my wife is celiac.

The lactose free cheese they sell at community natural and "some" safeways is real cheese and pretty decent, but after a few years of cutting lactose out, I've just kinda lost the taste for cheese in most situations.

For protein powder just look for vegan types, there are quiet a few. I usually get hemp seed or Vega. Vega is more expensive, but has more protein. They have less protein than whey powders, but are packed with vitamins and you'll feel great after instead of bloated.

I'm extremely intolerant and can't touch goat cheese, but have no problem with baked goods. As much as a PIA it is to always be turning down food or bringing it up at restaurants, I feel so much healthier since I cut out dairy 3 years ago.

flipstah
08-18-2015, 08:32 AM
For liquid items, anything really thick is usually done with either cream or cornstarch so that's another thing to watch out for.

zipdoa
08-21-2015, 12:37 PM
start taking probiotics and digestive enzymes with each meal - you can get bulk at costco. Building healthy intestinal flora is critical.