PDA

View Full Version : 96 million plastic balls dumped into LA reservoir.

ZenOps
08-14-2015, 09:56 PM
lqhF2JpZBVs

Wait, whut? Its a good thing?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/

TYMSMNY
08-14-2015, 10:28 PM
pretty sweet. so do they scoop out all the balls afterwards?

"probably won’t release any toxic materials into the water supply"

Probably.... probably.

mazdavirgin
08-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Cool idea but I would be quite concerned about having plastic floating in drinking water. In all likelihood though the amount of water in the reservoir will dilute any leaching down to immeasurable levels so it's likely safe? :dunno:

revelations
08-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Long term? Definitely not safe, but then again its supposed to reduce the amount of treatment required .... so the chemists here might be better able to answer the NET toxicity.

roll_over
08-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Still only half of the black balls that have been inside of lisa lampanelli

Sugarphreak
08-15-2015, 12:19 AM

roll_over
08-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Can I ask the obvious question here.... why are the balls not white?

(White being the most heat reflective colour)

Had the same question... But figured id cut the tension with a joke

Gart
08-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Can I ask the obvious question here.... why are the balls not white?

(White being the most heat reflective colour)

was curious too. This is what google told me:

"...So why are those shade balls in the Los Angeles reservoirs black instead of white? Because their purpose is to be a cheap, durable, safe way of providing shade, but not to keep the reservoirs cool...."
some more info via the link:

http://space.io9.com/why-are-drought-balls-black-instead-of-white-1724040253

Brent.ff
08-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Black also absorbs light, so will limit Algae growth vs reflecting

Sugarphreak
08-15-2015, 12:51 PM

spikerS
08-15-2015, 01:38 PM

Thanks for posting that

I think they would be better off putting the cash towards a desalination plant instead.

This.

The future world's economy is going to be in desalinization plants and water pipelines.

With climate change, the amount of fresh water supplies are dwindling as snowpacks and glaciers are getting smaller and smaller.

These plastic balls are a short sighted goal as they don't address the supply issue, rather trying to slow down the loss of what they already have.

JRSC00LUDE
08-15-2015, 01:53 PM
How can you say that immediate conservation efforts don't help address the immediate issue? They should just let waste run wild till a mythical plant is built in twenty years to help this year's problem? :nut:

spikerS
08-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
How can you say that immediate conservation efforts don't help address the immediate issue? They should just let waste run wild till a mythical plant is built in twenty years to help this year's problem? :nut:

No, but think about it. By stopping the evaporation, they are probably causing more harm than good. Evaporation of water causes rainfall somewhere else. In doing this in times of drought, it could make it worse...

So, IMO, I think this was a short sighted move.

Rocket1k78
08-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

"probably won’t release any toxic materials into the water supply"

Probably.... probably.

This was my first thought too. Hot plastic in the cali sun can not be good

atgilchrist
08-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

No, but think about it. By stopping the evaporation, they are probably causing more harm than good. Evaporation of water causes rainfall somewhere else. In doing this in times of drought, it could make it worse...

So, IMO, I think this was a short sighted move.

Slowing evaporation from the reservoir would have an immeasurably tiny amount of lessened condensation.