PDA

View Full Version : shopping cart roof rack.

Fly Fishin'
08-16-2015, 10:11 PM
So I'm going to cut down a super store shopping cart for a funny roof rack. My plan is to cut the Handel off and weld it to the lower basket (chuck out the upper section). then use the lower frame as support for the basket and something to run wires through for flood lights. Does anyone see a rogue cart by their house? I don't feel like paying the rebuilds for a basket and I'm not risking a criminal record by just taking a broken one off their property.
I called a store today asking and found out they all get rebuilt or stripped for parts at a local shop.

Mista Bob
08-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
So I'm going to cut down a super store shopping cart for a funny roof rack. My plan is to cut the Handel off and weld it to the lower basket (chuck out the upper section). then use the lower frame as support for the basket and something to run wires through for flood lights. Does anyone see a rogue cart by their house? I don't feel like paying the rebuilds for a basket and I'm not risking a criminal record by just taking a broken one off their property.
I called a store today asking and found out they all get rebuilt or stripped for parts at a local shop.

Is this post for real?

dj_rice
08-16-2015, 10:41 PM
If this is for real post, I always always see shopping carts at the parking lots at a LRT station. More so in the ghetto areas, so check out the LRT stations at Pacific Plate Mall, Marlborough, Sunridge.

relyt92
08-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Check the bus stops within a couple blocks of Marlborough mall for a walmart cart. Drive by the bus stops near any superstore cart for a superstore cart.

Darell_n
08-16-2015, 11:01 PM
Why not just steal an actual roof rack instead of stealing a shopping cart? I'm sure you can find these at Walmart too.

Fly Fishin'
08-17-2015, 06:43 AM
If I'm going to pony up for a basket it will be the load warrior but I want to do this for shit and giggles. 6 cuts and a bit of welding and it's done so $5 in gas and a bit of time vs. $300-$400. I don't want a normal cart as I would have to cut the basket down in height then weld it all back up where as the lower basket on the superstore ones are the perfect height, length, and width. They are also nickel plated so that will help with rust (just have to clean the few weld points.) I have read that a lot of people are having rust problems with the yakima and other brands after a short time.

It's going on my jdm Forester as it is the grocery getter. So sounds like I will just have to go for a quick drive to the NE one evening.

ExtraSlow
08-17-2015, 07:47 AM
Pretty sure even "found" shopping carts remain the property of the store, and there are folks who go around returning them for a small bounty.
So, no matter where you get your cart, you seem to be at the same risk of legal problems.

Sugarphreak
08-17-2015, 08:02 AM

mazdavirgin
08-17-2015, 08:17 AM
:dunno: This post reminds me of the old asian people who keep shopping carts on their balconies downtown. They take em down the elevator every morning to go out and pick bottles with the hobos. I guess they are worried someone is going to jack their already stolen shopping cart? :nut:

Fly Fishin'
08-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Good to know Slow, thanks.

Darell_n
08-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Go buy a shopping cart at JNE. They are around $140.

firebane
08-17-2015, 09:16 AM
holy ghetto in so many ways.

FraserB
08-17-2015, 09:19 AM
At least we know that the OP draws the line at theft from an individual versus a corporation.

Darell_n
08-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Maybe he can siphon some gas from a company truck someplace to offset his fuel expense looking for a cart to steal in the NE. Might as well steal some plants from outside a Co-op on the way home.

OneGreasyHobo
08-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Go beat up a homeless dude, you may even score some free cans too! buahah.

I thought everyone on beyond was budget ballers... What is this.

Fly Fishin'
08-17-2015, 11:00 AM
This is more for the comedy of it. And besides rich people didn't get there by spent in all their money. Cheap is good some days, and that was welding gas not car gas lol

OneGreasyHobo
08-17-2015, 11:02 AM
This is more for the comedy of it. And besides rich people didn't get there by spent in all their money. Cheap is good some days, and that was welding gas not car gas lol

Spoken like a true budget baller.

Mista Bob
08-17-2015, 11:10 AM
If I find a $65,000 Bentley off of someones property does that mean I can keep it with no legal repercussions? :nut:

OneGreasyHobo
08-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
If I find a $65,000 Bentley off of someones property does that mean I can keep it with no legal repercussions? :nut:

If you find the Bentley can I keep the rims?!

Darell_n
08-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob

Only if you find it at a Superstore.

Fly Fishin'
08-17-2015, 02:22 PM
If you want to take on the burden of buying old Bentley parts when it brakes I bet the owner won't give a damn lol. We had a 98 Brookland on the lot once listed for $20000 (or somewhere around there) but the new radiator it needed was close to 5k.

To be honest it completely slipped my mind that it would still be there property even off their property. Only legal way would be to buy the parts off the rebuild shop.

OneGreasyHobo
08-17-2015, 03:01 PM
If you want to take on the burden of buying old Bentley parts when it brakes I bet the owner won't give a damn lol. We had a 98 Brookland on the lot once listed for $20000 (or somewhere around there) but the new radiator it needed was close to 5k.

To be honest it completely slipped my mind that it would still be there property even off their property. Only legal way would be to buy the parts off the rebuild shop.

Just patrol the NE, I saw a shopping cart in the middle of crowchild yesterday. Looks like the homeless person just ditched his whip. Still had his foamy in it.