PDA

View Full Version : Paying a ticket from B.C

Kobe
08-18-2015, 12:10 PM
So not asking for info on fighting the ticket and what not, my 1st ticket in 11 years, I got it in Golden, BC for speeding.. blah blah slow down yah.. yah cool, mistakes happen..

Anyways can I pay this at the registries or do I have to mail it out? They do not have a website to pay it on..

there is a $25 discount for paying it in 30days as well..

The ticket also doesn't have a speed limit or my speed on it, will I be losing demerits on this?

On a side note, friend got a ticket being in the back seat and not having his seatbelt on for like $167 when we pulled over.. :rofl: :rofl:

Tik-Tok
08-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Mail.

http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/tickets/provincial/info/pay.htm

mr2mike
08-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Where were they hidden? As you come down the hill into the town? On the concrete median or?

Kobe
08-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Mail.

http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/tickets/provincial/info/pay.htm

Thanks, I do have this address was hoping I could pay at the registries here or some way online?

Edit: I guess I can just call and pay my phone, I didn't realize that before thought I'd have to mail the ticket..

Originally posted by mr2mike
Where were they hidden? As you come down the hill into the town? On the concrete median or?

:rofl: :rofl:

I guess they must be there all the time, we were heading back to Calgary and just got food at the BPs.. heading up the hill leaving Golden, I didn't realize it was a 60 zone...

16hypen3sp
08-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Edit: I guess I can just call and pay my phone, I didn't realize that before thought I'd have to mail the ticket..

Just call. Done.

I don't think anything shows up in AB for it. Not sure if insurance can see it.

EM2FTL
08-18-2015, 02:21 PM
No, there is no reciprocal agreement between AB / BC registries, the demerits don't follow and the ticket won't impact insurance.

Kobe
09-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Sorry 1 more question, my friend keeps flaking out and we agreed we both pay half for any tickets we get in B.C

Anyways he owes me more than the tickets worth anyways right now and I don't feel like paying all of it myself. (I will if i have 2)

My question is, since I was the driver of the car but he is the owner of the vehicle if the ticket is not paid who will they go after?

It's only a $200 ticket but I'm pretty frustrated he keeps ignoring the fact he owes me money for it..

I've tried to google but nothing, if no answer here I'll go head to the registries and ask but the line ups are always sooo big...

Edit: Guess I can go head to a Police station and ask them as well, hopefully someone knows the answer and saves me some time...

lilmira
09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
I assume that you got pulled over, wouldn't the ticket be written to you? It shouldn't be a ticket to the registered owner of the vehicle. Who's name is on the ticket?

Kobe
09-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Both our names are on the ticket.. I'm in the top part of the ticket and his vechicle information with his name and details are on the bottom of it...

lilmira
09-03-2015, 03:06 PM
If I have to guess, it would go against the driver unless the driver can't be identified. I put 5 bucks on it. :)

Your friend got a separate ticket for not wearing a seatbelt right? That shouldn't be issued to the owner neither.

Kobe
09-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
If I have to guess, it would go against the driver unless the driver can't be identified. I put 5 bucks on it. :)

Your friend got a separate ticket for not wearing a seatbelt right? That shouldn't be issued to the owner neither.

Hehe you work at the registries?

Also the ticket is issues to my friend with the seatbelt ticket however the owner of the vechiles information is on the ticket at the bottom as well..

Sooo i went in and had this conversation

Me: Can I pay OOP Speeding tickets here?
Lady: I dont think so but I'll check.. Nope

Me: Question if you were driving my car in British Columbia and got a ticket would would have to me it?
Lady: Ummm I would have to pay it.
Me: So what happens when you don't pay the ticket?
Lady: I would have to pay it when I renew my insurance.

Me: That's correct but my Drivers license is only on the ticket and not my vechicle information.

Lady: I guess your correct the Owner of the vechicle would have to pay when they renew their registration let me ask my manager.

Same thing to the manager but she mentioned " go against the driver unless the driver can't be identified."

So saying I have to renew my license in 4 years and friend with have to renew his registration in 6months how will this work? Haha..

I'm going to call Victoria tomorrow regarding the ticket.

I'm assuming if we do not pay the ticket than whoever of us two gets their ID checked by the Police in B.C next time will have to pay the ticket?

Taken a photo of the ticket can post on here if needed just need 2 blurr out the information...

lilmira
09-03-2015, 03:56 PM
No I don't but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night so that makes me a legitimate expert. ;)

I'll let the officers or registry professional here confirm my theory.

Kobe
09-03-2015, 04:06 PM

No I don't but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night so that makes me a legitimate expert. ;)

I'll let the officers or registry professional here confirm my theory.

I agree with your theory, I'm assuming if either one of us do go renew registation/license in AB there will not nothing from the B.C side correct?

I guess when I go renew my car I will give my drivers license, it could be in the system?

Since it is two different systems though are we just screwed (myself mostly) when I go to BC next time?

Traffic_Cop
09-03-2015, 04:18 PM
If you dont pay it it gets assigned to a collection agency

revelations
09-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL
No, there is no reciprocal agreement between AB / BC registries, the demerits don't follow and the ticket won't impact insurance.

I dont know if this has recently changed but ....

http://www.thepointman.ca/traffic-ticket-tips.php

Canadian provinces have a reciprocal agreement to report convictions to one another. In this country the left hand really knows what the right hand is doing when it comes to traffic law.

Many U.S. states also report convictions back to the province of Alberta.

lilmira
09-03-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't think the speeding ticket will be on your friend's record in the system at all. The seatbelt ticket will be assuming that we are talking about the same person.

It's like when I'm speeding in a company vehicle, if I get pulled over, I get the ticket and it's on my record; if I get caught by photoradar, then my office gets the ticket and my office is on the hook for the fine. Well what the manager will do to me is something else.

Kobe
09-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
If you dont pay it it gets assigned to a collection agency

Thank you

I'm assuming the collection agency will go after me (The driver at the time) Correct?

Guess I'm going 2 pay this and tell my friend to fuck himself if he ever wants anything from me :\

Originally posted by revelations

God that website is ugly, looks like a 5 year old kid created it.

I don't think the speeding ticket will be on your friend's record in the system at all. The seatbelt ticket will be assuming that we are talking about the same person.

It's like when I'm speeding in a company vehicle, if I get pulled over, I get the ticket and it's on my record; if I get caught by photoradar, then my office gets the ticket and my office is on the hook for the fine. Well what the manager will do to me is something else.

The seatbelt ticket is for another friend in the car (There was 3 of us in the car at the time and we all agreed to split speeding tickets 3 ways)

Since my friend was an idiot and didnt put his seatbelt on when we got pulled over my friend (owner of the car) and myself agreed to pay the speeding ticket our selves and let him worry about the seatbelt ticket (He was in the back at the time too)

Yes agreed and I know it was myself taking the risk of points at the time if we got pulled over in Alberta.

Regarding radar and laser I do know the difference (not that it should of made one to us as we both agreed to split the ticket) however since he doesn't want to pay his part of the ticket now and owes me more than my part of the ticket still I'm wondering what I should do? If I was a manager I'd fire the employee for 1. speeding 2. not paying the ticket..

EM2FTL
09-04-2015, 08:32 AM

To the best of my knowledge there is no BC-AB reciprocal agreement.

Feruk
09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Your friend must be a really nice guy to agree to split the ticket, wow. IMO you were driving and are therefore responsible for the entire ticket.

Kobe
09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Your friend must be a really nice guy to agree to split the ticket, wow. IMO you were driving and are therefore responsible for the entire ticket.

We have this agreement always and I was driving since he has more tickets than I can count, mostly photo radar..

I would assume this is fair for a long road trip to say you will split tickets? Who the hell would want to drive if they have to pay the ticket themselves.

I would say you would have to be an asshole to not pay part of the drivers ticket. (not in the city of course, thats his fault) but for a 7hour drive I think it would be pretty fair...

rx7boi
09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

Agreed. I wouldn't ever agree to splitting tickets especially if I can't control the actions of the other person. I have been in a friend's car and he drives like a douchebag; not someone whose car I'd want to be in unless absolutely needed.

If you sped and got a ticket for speeding, it should be on you.

If he didn't wear his seatbelt, hopefully he's not trying to split his own mistake with you.

Originally posted by Kobe

We have this agreement always and I was driving since he has more tickets than I can count, mostly photo radar..

I would assume this is fair for a long-road to say you will split tickets? Who the hell would want to drive if they would be paying the ticket themselves..

So you essentially drove because he can't be trusted to drive without getting another ticket on his record? :rofl:

What's fair is that you are both adults and should accept the burden of whatever choices you make on the road. Sounds like a poster slogan but that's how life is.

Plus, this is your first ticket in 11 years. Why put yourself in a situation when you seem to be a more conscientious driver (or maybe just never been caught) than he is? :rofl:

revelations
09-04-2015, 11:29 AM

To the best of my knowledge there is no BC-AB reciprocal agreement.

I can say with certainty that there was at some point. Its highly unlikely this would have been rescinded but a LEO, or another motorist who was issued a ticket, would have to post up specifically about it to be sure.
There might also be a threshold for these tickets as well - perhaps some of the minor traffic violations are not enforced anymore or as much cross border. :dunno:

****EDIT pulled up an old thread regarding this (thought I read about this once).

YES, you will get an OOP (BC) ticket slapped on your AB abstract which WILL show up as demerits as well (may not match exactly though).

(from a lawyer who deals with this)

On the abstract I looked at on Wednesday, there were two OOP - speeding offences listed from BC, one was assessed 3 demerits, and the other 4.

I think that if the Alberta registrar doesn't receive indication of how much over the limit the person was, to be fair they would likely only assess 2 demerits (because that's the minimum number of demerits for speeding in Alberta). But if they do get the proper information, they have no problem assessing higher demerit values.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332671/oop-speeding-ticket-sask/

Also, as a driver this will now show up on your abstract. Therefore its highly likely that unpaid tickets will affect you when you go renew.

Kobe
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi

Agreed. I wouldn't ever agree to splitting tickets especially if I can't control the actions of the other person.

If you sped and got a ticket for speeding, it should be on you.

If he didn't wear his seatbelt, hopefully he's not trying to split his own mistake with you.

So you essentially drove because he can't be trusted to drive without getting another ticket on his record? :rofl:

No I drove because he got completely wasted the night before and I felt 100% more comfortable driving than him, we also had to take his car as mine the A/C hose is broken. (Thank god we didnt take mine either starter broke 2-3 days after i got back)

And since he was working till midnight we ended up leaving at 12:30 at night to revelstoke as well so I drove their as well..

The friend not wearing his own seatbelt has to pay his own ticket of course...

EM2FTL
09-04-2015, 11:43 AM

I can say with certainty that there was at some point. Its highly unlikely this would have been rescinded but a LEO, or another motorist who was issued a ticket, would have to post up specifically about it to be sure.
There might also be a threshold for these tickets as well - perhaps some of the minor traffic violations are not enforced anymore or as much cross border. :dunno:

****EDIT pulled up an old thread regarding this (thought I read about this once).

YES, you will get an OOP (BC) ticket slapped on your AB abstract which WILL show up as demerits as well (may not match exactly though).

(from a lawyer who deals with this)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332671/oop-speeding-ticket-sask/

That's cool. The thing is, i've gotten my share of tickets in BC and have never had them show up on my abstract here in AB.

The other thing is, can you find this reciprocal agreement anywhere? I can't, but it should be searchable if it exists.

*Edit - another thread on this, seems to be hit and miss. Is dannie around to clarify?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-386816.html

revelations
09-04-2015, 11:46 AM

That's cool. The thing is, i've gotten my share of tickets in BC and have never had them show up on my abstract here in AB.

The other thing is, can you find this reciprocal agreement anywhere? I can't, but it should be searchable if it exists.

Recently ticketed? For serious offenses or minor ones?

Sometimes the system isnt perfect (could be the LEO didnt put it into the system properly, etc. which worked ok for you) but I would be weary of going to BC without checking your status first.

There are dozens of different factors affecting whether your VT gets slapped into the system and sometimes tickets can be quashed (eg. bs tickets, +1 over limit) pretty quick without you doing anything.

EM2FTL
09-04-2015, 11:48 AM

Recently ticketed? For serious offenses or minor ones?

Sometimes the system isnt perfect (could be the LEO didnt put it into the system properly, etc. which worked ok for you) but I would be weary of going to BC without checking your status first.

Just speeding violations, I always pay them so not worried about going over the border.

revelations
09-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Well then you would probably never see it on your AB abstract ?

(another question for the experts/experienced)

EM2FTL
09-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Well then you would probably never see it on your AB abstract ? :thumbsup:

Why would the demerits not transfer? Isn't that what we're talking about here?

Did some googling and found this:

The Canadian Driver Licence Compact:

This agreement amongst the Provinces and Territories was implemented in 1990, all those participating in the agreement agreed to exchange traffic offence information. Under the term of the compact, each participating Province and Territory agreed that infractions committed by the driver, would result in the application of demerit points in the driver’s home Province’s driving record. As well, each participating Province and Territory agreed to transfer the driver’s licence information if that driver was moving to another Province or Territory.

In 2001 the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administration approved changes to the Compact, which had the effect of mandating that each participating Province/Territory to the Compact where the offence had occurred would have to notify the home jurisdiction of the driver’s offence, expecting the home Province/Territory to take action with respect to unpaid fines, suspensions etc. This may include the home Province/Territory having to withhold/suspend the driver’s driving privileges or the denial of vehicle registration. In 2003, the Criminal Code was included, including section 249.1 -this information was to be shared in the event of a conviction.

Doesn't clarify WHICH provs/territories signed on, could be all or could be some of them. I could see AB not wanting to play ball in the 90's though ;)

revelations
09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
nm - cant read

D'z Nutz
09-04-2015, 12:08 PM

I also got a speeding ticket in BC and it never reflected in my insurance. That was like 7 years ago.

I don't know about you guys but I don't know why you wouldn't pay your speeding ticket. Next time you're in the province again, do you really want to run the risk of a cop finding out you have an outstanding traffic violation and hauling your ass away until it's been paid off?

What you're saying makes absolutely no logical sense.

Kobe
09-04-2015, 12:14 PM

(another question for the experts/experienced)

I read somewhere that they dont cross over. The registries won't allow you to pay an OOP ticket since they don't have it in their systems.. I'm going to assume it doesn't cross over..

With that said here is how the ticket looks nice, as you can see BC has some different laws.

1. They do not have to show you the gun used even if you ask for the ticket.
2. They give a $25 discount if you pay in the first 30 days.. (The officer was nice about this and explained it to us)

http://i.imgur.com/7UdWZSb.png

revelations
09-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
What you're saying makes absolutely no logical sense.

I was compfused - I thought if you paid off your tickets in BC they wouldnt (perhaps magic?) appear on your AB abstract (yea right).

I think Bill put it best (masked bandit) in a different thread - there is a 50/50 chance a ticket will make it to the AB system. No rhyme or reason as there are too many variables.

Kobe
09-08-2015, 01:07 PM

Just speeding violations, I always pay them so not worried about going over the border.

I was compfused - I thought if you paid off your tickets in BC they wouldnt (perhaps magic?) appear on your AB abstract (yea right).

I think Bill put it best (masked bandit) in a different thread - there is a 50/50 chance a ticket will make it to the AB system. No rhyme or reason as there are too many variables.

So after paying the ticket today, $25 discount btw for paying in 30 days..

The lady had told me (without me even asking) that their will be no demerits lost on my Alberta license since the ticket will not transfer over.

She had also told me since the ticket was 3 demerits in British Columbia if I am to recieve another speeding ticket in the next two years It would be possible for BC to take my drivers license away. (Not that it will happen just that it is possible)

That's pretty interesting, I'm not sure if it's because my ticket didn't really have a speed limit or anything on it but yah said demerits will not be transfering over...