PDA

View Full Version : Crowchild & Flanders Interchange

firebane
08-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Not sure if I haven't really watched the topics lately but I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Its what they are intending to do at Crowchild @ Flanders Ave and apparently is going to start Labor weekend. If Crowchild didn't have problems it sure will now..

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-projects/Crowchild-Trail-Flanders-Avenue-Interchange.aspx?redirect=/flanders

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/PublishingImages/crowchild-flanders-design.jpg

killramos
08-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Who knew this was ever a problem.

speedcat
08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
They've been digging up the west side intersection for a few weeks now, looks like the bridge is coming down over the long weekend.

firebane
08-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by speedcat
They've been digging up the west side intersection for a few weeks now, looks like the bridge is coming down over the long weekend.

Yeah I was curious what they were doing there.. now I know and its going to be messy.

01RedDX
08-18-2015, 01:34 PM

xnvy
08-18-2015, 02:04 PM
No bike lanes tho...?

Ouch. Going to have to find a new way home and dodge all that traffic.

BavarianBeast
08-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Giffels/Westpro is doing the construction. They recently finished a very similar project in Vancouver. Interesting to see if they can perform on it here.

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2015, 02:26 PM
How is this a priority over the bow bridge clusterfuck and the lights at Kensington just down the road? That part of Crowchild has never been an issue.

triplep
08-19-2015, 07:36 AM
Looks like they are adding a new access point into Currie Barracks as well that didn't exist before.

Given the amount of new residential homes going up in the Currie Barracks, I think they are just trying to increase the flow of traffic in the area.

Sugarphreak
08-19-2015, 09:04 AM

killramos
08-19-2015, 09:22 AM
My wife went to high school at bishop carrol ( directly influenced by this work) and drove to and from 10 + times a week, and she still works at MRU twice a week on average. When i told her about this all she could give was a "WTF? We are spending money on that?"

Can't think of anyone who uses it much more haha.

What this probably was is a BU in Calgary needed to break ground on a project this year to get their bonuses and this was one with most mature plans and easiest implementation. What a joke.

Xtrema
08-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by triplep
Looks like they are adding a new access point into Currie Barracks as well that didn't exist before.

Given the amount of new residential homes going up in the Currie Barracks, I think they are just trying to increase the flow of traffic in the area.

This is the whole point. There is no other reason to drive into Flanders Ave.

Not opposed to traffic circles but I think the 2 exits from Crowchild southbound so close to each other is a stupid idea.

kenny
08-19-2015, 10:04 AM
This will be needed once Currie Barracks is built up. It is likely funded by the developer of the community anyway so everyone needs to chill out about other more important projects.

Every new development results in upgraded infrastructure around it. With all the new businesses in that area + new residences, they need to keep traffic that is exiting crowchild flowing.

colsankey
08-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I live 2 streets off flanders, drive it every day and lots of times at rush hour. That whole section of south crowchild and Glennore is a giant goat fuck both directions every day. But Ive NEVER seen Flanders aa a problem exit to get into the base or to head over to MRU/Bishop Carol.

Im curious as to what kind of traffic volume they are expecting.

kenny
08-19-2015, 02:58 PM
11,000 residents is the estimated population of the area, how many vehicles does that work out to? :dunno:

colsankey
08-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Probably 22,000 😂 but is that current population or expected?

phreezee
08-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Makes sense this was pushed through since the developer is footing $15M of the $35M bill.

btimbit
08-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Cosntruction will be painful but I think the finished product will be great

Maxt
08-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by colsankey
Probably 22,000 😂 but is that current population or expected?
I was told a couple of years ago at an open house there, they were aiming to put over 35k people in that area with high density development. It was described then as putting the population of Airdrie in that zone. I guess the market will dictate how it gets finished. Add that to that the amount of people going to MRU, Bishop Carrol, and Sainte Marguerite Bourgeoys( which is being added on to right now as well), kinda makes one question the West leg LRT routing. There are a few charter schools on the Currie Barracks site which will remain there apparently after redevelopment. There is a huge transportation issue for sure and when Currie is developed , all those people parking illegally and free at the barracks from the various schools are going to have issues.
Whenever I work out there when school is in, I make sure to be out of that general area by 2:30pm or I may as well stay and work until after 6 pm rather than sit in snarled traffic...

J-D
08-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by kenny
11,000 residents is the estimated population of the area, how many vehicles does that work out to? :dunno:

I can't even imagine the shit show that Crowchild will be with that much growth.

rage2
08-20-2015, 09:27 PM
The bigger problem is Marda loop. Everyone goes there because it's so close. It's been really bad since they started building this area, and only going to get worse.

suntan
08-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by kenny
11,000 residents is the estimated population of the area, how many vehicles does that work out to? :dunno: Zero cars, as we all know only scummy suburbanites purchase cars. The luxury cars in the Marda Loop area are non-functioning and are strictly for display purposes.

firebane
08-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2
The bigger problem is Marda loop. Everyone goes there because it's so close. It's been really bad since they started building this area, and only going to get worse.

I fucking HATE Marda Loop. There is so much bloody traffic there and the streets are so narrow and busy I feel like I'm going to have a breakdown driving around there.