08-20-2015, 07:41 AM

killramos
08-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Cause those are all mutually exclusive options :rolleyes:

Sugarphreak
08-20-2015, 07:50 AM

killramos
08-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Half of the questions are about funding.

Another is about the concept

and yet another is if there is enough parking

:rofl:

Sugarphreak
08-20-2015, 07:52 AM

lilmira
08-20-2015, 07:57 AM
I like it and I don't mind paying but it's like simcity or civilization, you'll never have enough money to get the nice things that you want.

pheoxs
08-20-2015, 08:03 AM
After living in Edmonton through their whole arena debacle I don't see any issue with the funding model proposed for Calgary. It is very similar to the model that Edmonton settled on. A ticket tax, a revitalization levy on surrounding businesses that will benefit from it, private investment, and pubic funds for accessory buildings in the complex.

There was a lot of people against Edmonton building a new arena but if any of you have driven through downtown it's astonishing how much that area has already improved and it isn't even completed yet. When the arena opens next year, and when the rest gets finished most of the complainers will wake up and realized how much it improved the city.

There will always be a large amount of people that are against taxpayer money being spent on anything. We already spend tens/hundreds of millions on libraries, transit, bike lanes, museums, art, and other infrastructure to improve this city, this is just an extension of that in my view.

Sugarphreak
08-20-2015, 08:09 AM

max_boost
08-20-2015, 08:13 AM
No parking do not want

pheoxs
08-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I think overall stadiums like this bring money into the city... but I am not in favour of building one with tax payer money unless it initially serves a larger purpose; such as the Olympics, PanAm, Commonwealth, or other major games event. That at least helps to promote the city image and recoup some of the costs. Building one only for the local CFL/NHL team barely does anything for the city.

The one thing I'd like to point out is the NHL team uses the rink 41 games a year (plus a handful of pre-season and IF they make the playoffs) while the CFL teams play 18 games a season.

This leaves 300+ days that the facilities can be used for other events. This means more concerts & shows, other sporting events, fairs, track events, free skate/run days open to the general public, etc.

Xtrema
08-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Creosote is bad and it's creeping into Hillhurst. What's the effect of inaction on this?

If that $300M has to be spent anyway, why not now?

killramos
08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Creosote is bad and it's creeping into Hillhurst. What's the effect of inaction on this?

If that $300M has to be spent anyway, why not now?

Creeping into hillhurst under the river?

Get Notley to do it, sounds like her kind of Halo project. She can bill it as decades of PC's covering up environmental disasters :rofl:

Xtrema
08-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by killramos

Creeping into hillhurst under the river?

Get Notley to do it, sounds like her kind of Halo project. She can bill it as decades of PC's covering up environmental disasters :rofl:

Yup. And the flood accelerate it a bit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/creosote-discovery-concerns-west-hillhurst-homeowners-1.2494446

She already backed away from this one calling it polluter's problem.

speedog
08-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Yup. And the flood accelerate it a bit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/creosote-discovery-concerns-west-hillhurst-homeowners-1.2494446

She already backed away from this one calling it polluter's problem.
I believe she also said that there has been no past precedent set with respect to the province cleaning up a polluted site.

I guess the good thing with respect to the Flames announcement is that it's getting multiple discussions going including addressing the issues with respect to this creosote problem. Hopefully, something good comes out of all of this as opposed to possibly still seeing this land basically sit fallow some 30 years in the future.

Masked Bandit
08-20-2015, 09:03 AM
I don't have a problem with the funding model really. I do wonder though who will pick up the cost overruns, because you can be sure that's going to happen.

The lack of parking is a deal killer for me. When we go to Stamps games we drive and park in the surrounding neighbourhood and walk ~10 minutes. I don't know that this location will allow the same thing. I don't know the West end of downtown all that well so maybe there is already sufficient paid parking in the area? :dunno: Convenient access is a key feature in my mind. If it's a pain in the ass to get in & out of, I simply won't go. It's not like watching sports on a massive TV at home is some kind of hardship.

riander5
08-20-2015, 09:31 AM
In favor, but would like less public funding. Could still stomach some since its more than just "A Flames Arena"

-Biased hockey fan

btimbit
08-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Overall I love it, even the funding model I'm not too upset about. I can deal with the CRL's and whatnot.

Thoughts on a few points though;

-I'd prefer that CSE put the money up front for the 'ticket tax' rather than ask the city for a loan. I'm a fan of this because it's like a user fee, people that don't want their tax money going towards this arena are likely people that wouldn't use it. If you don't go to events, you won't pay it.
-Add a parking structure. Put it next to Sunalta station and double it's use as a park and ride for LRT.
-I'm sure that private businesses will take care of this in the area anyway, but I was disappointed at the lack of surrounding bars and restaurants included in the plans.

I wasn't really on board until I heard that the City would own the land and the buildings. Depending on the facilities usage contract that could be a very good thing for the City.

It all hinges on the creosote cleanup. Worst case scenario this proposal at least gets people talking about it I guess.

Sugarphreak
08-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Type_S1
08-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Cleanup is required so the business shouldn't have to cover all the additional costs there.

Nitro5
08-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Cleanup is required so the business shouldn't have to cover all the additional costs there.

2 options

1) city cleans up and the Flames pay for the land at a fair market value of the clean land.

2) city gives land to Flames with them footing the cost of cleanup. Have stipulations on timelines, etc or the land reverts back to the city.

03ozwhip
08-20-2015, 03:28 PM
I don't give a shit about hockey and the handful of times I go to the stadium makes it moot for me. I don't want my tax dollars going to it.

gogreen
08-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I don't have a problem with the funding model really. I do wonder though who will pick up the cost overruns, because you can be sure that's going to happen.

The lack of parking is a deal killer for me. When we go to Stamps games we drive and park in the surrounding neighbourhood and walk ~10 minutes. I don't know that this location will allow the same thing. I don't know the West end of downtown all that well so maybe there is already sufficient paid parking in the area? :dunno: Convenient access is a key feature in my mind. If it's a pain in the ass to get in & out of, I simply won't go. It's not like watching sports on a massive TV at home is some kind of hardship.

We use the same method for the CFL stadiums we visit. At Mosaic and McMahon we can pay to park and walk about 10 minutes. At Commonwealth we usually walk more like 30 minutes but park for free.

I suppose at this location I can drive to the Brentwood station and ride the LRT but I have no idea how well that will work.

Fly Fishin'
08-20-2015, 05:06 PM
I would rather we pay for the full project and profit off it or none at all. They are a corporation with loads of money and the ability to take out a loan. But I'm also still scratching my head as to why people volunteered to help clean up their property after the flood (volunteer for people not coorporations).

I'm fine with CoC loaning them the money and they can pay it back with interest.

rage2
08-20-2015, 05:45 PM
I've explained it earlier in the thread, but a corporation will do what it can to make the most profit. There are other cities that are willing to subsidize the team with a stadium.

btimbit
08-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I've explained it earlier in the thread, but a corporation will do what it can to make the most profit. There are other cities that are willing to subsidize the team with a stadium.

Seattle will likely realize their NBA fantasies aren't going to come true soon. Missed out on expansion yet still a demand for hockey. That'd be my concern