PDA

View Full Version : Safeway sued for $8.9 million by Michael Jordan.

ZenOps
08-22-2015, 03:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13486052/supermarket-chain-pay-michael-jordan-89-million-use-name

Sadly, when you buy out a company - not only do you get the good but you also get the bad and all the baggage and liabilities that come with it.

Guess the beef is only going to get more expensive.

Sentry
08-22-2015, 04:46 PM
In addition, the ad itself was of little benefit to the company. Since the ad was in a commemorative Sports Illustrated issue, those who bought the magazine were hesitant to tear out the ad. Only two people were found to have redeemed the $2 steak coupon.
Hah

Jeeper1986
08-22-2015, 05:41 PM
wow 10 mill to use a dumb name we make them famous and they fuck us lol

J.M.
08-22-2015, 07:31 PM
lol damn

revelations
08-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Its all going to charity anyways. MJ net worth is >1 billion now apparently.

ZenOps
08-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Still doesn't feel right. I can imagine some inuit is eating kiviak right now because he can't afford the prices at the local Safeway. And some kid in the US is now getting a free pair of shoes in a charity giveaway for US kids.

http://theparanormalguide.tumblr.com/post/106194934128/kiviak-aka-turducken-from-hell-strange

Arguably, in NHL crazy Canada - exactly how much influence did this advertisment have on the few hundred Canadians who even glanced over it? How much are we going to have to pay in higher food costs to cover the litigious US lawsuits.

If he has so much, why bother suing? If its just to prove that he is in the right, sue for $1. US entitlements and litigiousness went overboard a long time ago. They are without doubt impovershing the rest of the world.

msommers
08-22-2015, 09:09 PM

Dayum. So much nickel.

revelations
08-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
If he has so much, why bother suing? If its just to prove that he is in the right, sue for $1. US entitlements and litigiousness went overboard a long time ago. They are without doubt impovershing the rest of the world.

Um, probably because he doesent like having his name attached to a piece of crap whatever from China, wantonly?

NoPulp
08-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Zenops did you read the article?
He very clearly explains his reason.

ipeefreely
08-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Zenops did you read the article?
He very clearly explains his reason.
You must be new here... he never does! :nut:

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2015, 08:34 PM

Um, probably because he doesent like having his name attached to a piece of crap whatever from China, won-tonly?

FTFY

ZenOps
08-23-2015, 08:50 PM
So much baller love.

Did he deserve more than a hundred thousand or so? maybe. Does Safeway deserve to be punished for buying a company that they had zero influence, or even a passing knowledge of the advertisement at the time?

Safeway has gained nothing from the Advertisement, the advert was for Dominicks, which went bankrupt. The argument could be made, that Michael Jordans name did not contribute at all to Dominicks bottom line and in fact - directly caused them to go bankrupt in the backlash.

If I buy a coal mine and find out later that the previous owner was negligent and caused miner deaths during his ownership - do I have to take on that burden going forward?

I'm actually suprised it won. Where Safeway went wrong is admission of guilt. They should never have offered to pay a few hundred thousand, if they never did that - they probably would not have lost.

To Jordan: It should have been enough that the company that originally ran the original ad went bankrupt and was forced to sell. To place the burden on an innocent party is just as bad as blaming the sins of the father on a adopted son. I am ashamed at Jordan (Without a doubt, he is acting like the biggest bully on the block)

"Brand Michael Jordan a bully in winning fight with Dominick's" - Chicago Tribune.

J.M.
08-23-2015, 09:08 PM
lol ok

Feruk
08-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
If I buy a coal mine and find out later that the previous owner was negligent and caused miner deaths during his ownership - do I have to take on that burden going forward?
Yeah, you absolutely do... The previous owner might still face criminal charges, but civil lawsuits would be brought against you. When you buy a company, you buy all the skeletons in their closet, which is why due diligence is so important.