PDA

View Full Version : Black Monday?

killramos
08-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Could this be one of the big ones of our Generation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/world-markets-lose-ground-amid-black-monday-for-shanghai-index/2015/08/24/a1c88a48-0161-404c-a48b-6cee7d04f864_story.html

BEIJING — Stock market jitters spread throughout Asia and the rest of the world, and Wall Street braced for a major plunge, after Chinese stocks recorded their biggest slump in eight years during what China’s state media dubbed “Black Monday.”

The collapse in Chinese stocks was fueled by mounting concerns about an economic slowdown here, but it has fed into a wider sell-off in emerging markets. Asian shares hit a three-year low Monday, and the nervousness appeared likely to spread to Wall Street after last week’s sharp falls there.

“A lot of questions are being asked by investors,” said Chris Weston, chief markets strategist at IG in Melbourne. “This is a confidence game, and when you don’t have confidence, you press the sell button.”

Shanghai’s main share index closed down 8.49 percent, but trading in hundreds of shares was suspended after they lost 10 percent.

The Shanghai Composite Index has fallen by nearly 40 percent since June, after rising more than 140 percent last year. Tokyo’s Nikkei-225 index recorded its biggest drop in more than two years, falling 4.6 percent to a six-month low, while the MSCI index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan sank 5.1 percent to a three-year low.

The benchmark Shanghai Composite Stock Index lost more than 7 percent on Monday. (Rolex Dela Pena/EPA)
Overnight futures trading suggested further losses were in store for the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index in the United States after last week’s 6 percent decline. S&P futures dropped 3.2 percent, with even favored stocks such as Apple and Netflix losing more than 4 percent in early New York trading, Bloomberg News reported.

In early afternoon trading in Europe, Britain’s FTSE 100 index was down more than 5 percent, Germany’s DAX index was losing nearly 5.2 percent, the CAC 40 in Paris was off 4.8 percent, and the Stoxx Europe 600 index fell 4.6 percent. The Dax has now fallen more than 20 percent from its peak in April. Companies in the FTSE 100 were on track to lose roughly 70 billion pounds ($110 billion) in value Monday, the Guardian newspaper reported.

Middle Eastern stocks also took a hit, with markets in Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Egypt and Israel down sharply.

“Markets are panicking,” Takako Masai, head of research at Shinsei Bank in Tokyo, told the Reuters news agency. “Things are starting to look like the Asian financial crisis in the late 1990s. Speculators are selling assets that seem the most vulnerable.”

Over the weekend, China announced it would allow pension funds to buy shares for the first time, but the move failed to restore confidence. The state news agency Xinhua tweeted that it was “Black Monday!” as China’s shares joined the global panic.

Some traders said the authorities’ failure to step in to buy shares Friday — when the market fell 4.2 percent — generated a sense of panic and forced some funds to liquidate positions. Although pension funds have reported net assets of some $550 billion, experts said they might not want to buy aggressively in a falling market.

“The pension fund signal didn’t work, which proves that investors have entirely lost confidence in the market,” said Wu Xianfeng, president of Longteng Asset Management in Shenzhen. “The market has been in a panic since last week.”

Some brokers said the market was disappointed by the central bank’s failure to add liquidity by cutting banks’ reserve ratios on Monday, as many had expected. But others said even this move would now not be enough to restore confidence.

Ken Peng, Asia investment strategist at Citi Private Bank in Hong Kong said the Chinese authorities were probably biding their time.

“They have a good understanding that they are not going to be able to reverse a global sell-off,” he said. “So they are not wasting their bullets at this point.”

Renewed concern about China’s economy emerged after Friday’s news that a key gauge of manufacturing activity, the Caixin/Markit Purchasing Managers’ Index, showed the sector shrinking at the fastest pace since 2009.

The heavy-handed response of China’s authorities to the initial stock market sell-off also dented confidence among global investors about their commitment to free markets and their ability to manage an economic transition underway here.

This month’s surprise move to allow the Chinese currency to move in line with market forces — a move amounting to a surprise devaluation — only served to fan global fears about China’s economic slowdown.

Nor did the move to put the nation’s pension funds to work to shore up the markets meet with universal approval.

“Did you ever ask the opinion of people who paid into the pension fund?” asked one social media user.

“Who said today’s drop is the biggest in eight years, maybe tomorrow’s is,” user Y-MariaH wrote on the Weibo microblogging site. “Now I understand why people jump from high buildings. After investing into market, I’m having that kind of urge.”

Another poster, calling herself kou zi kou kou, wrote: “Stockmarket is like a cheating boyfriend. You forgive him over and over again and believe he would change. However he hurt you deeper over time.”

Weston said that after seven weeks of capital outflows from emerging markets, parallels were being drawn to the 1997 Asian financial crisis. But unlike 18 years ago, most countries in the region now have current account surpluses and significant foreign exchange reserves, he said.

“I think we will see stock markets continue to sell off, but we will get to a point where we do settle down,” he said, adding that the markets were looking for firm action by the authorities in China and the United States to stem the slide.

All i know is, there is nothing good on the horizon.

:(

The only factor that i could see causing a potential recovery is some major further hostility in Korea. 70% of the North's subs out of their docks as of this morning. There is always sabre rattling, but I'm not sure if that has happened in a long time.

corsvette
08-24-2015, 09:36 AM
It's getting pretty scary. I'm not much on conspiracy, but the Wifes been reading up on the "big crash" that's supposed to happen in September, seem like this big piece is starting to fall into place.

Genuinely worried at this point.

M.alex
08-24-2015, 09:57 AM
oh noez ..... stocks go up, stocks go down

killramos
08-24-2015, 10:24 AM
TSX down 205 points already in morning trading.

And this isn't just about stocks and margin accounts you clod, businesses and people will be ruined by this.

bjstare
08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by killramos

And this isn't just about stocks and margin accounts you clod, businesses and people will be ruined by this.

TSX was way lower earlier. At open it was down ~700 points.

And it is kind of about stocks and margin accounts. The only ones that will be ruined are the ones that sold low, or lost big on derivatives. But if you lose your shirt with derivatives, you deserve it. Only gamble with what you can afford to lose. :drama:

Toma
08-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Anyone thats "ruined" deserves it for thinking they are smarter than the house.

nzwasp
08-24-2015, 10:43 AM
WTI is currently sitting at 38.75 at the moment. Brent crude down to around $43

suntan
08-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Buy Mortimer, buy!

JRSC00LUDE
08-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Granted I'm very uneducated on the nuances of the stock market but, crashes happen. Is it great? No. Is it expected? It should be.

A good portion of us lived through $20/barrel oil and 20% interest rates once. It isn't a stretch to have to do it again, is it?

killramos
08-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
A good portion of us lived through $20/barrel oil and 20% interest rates once. It isn't a stretch to have to do it again, is it?

Nope, but it doesn't mean have to welcome it or be happy about it.

JRSC00LUDE
08-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Nope, but it doesn't mean have to welcome it or be happy about it.

:werd: You're certainly correct.

Toma
08-24-2015, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by killramos

Nope, but it doesn't mean have to welcome it or be happy about it. [/QUOTE

More money is made during volatile times. buying high, hoping for higher isn5 the best strategy.

Its a joke, but "buy low, sell high" still has merrit.

killramos
08-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Toma

More money is made during volatile times. buying high, hoping for higher isn5 the best strategy.

Its a joke, but "buy low, sell hugh" still has merrit.

I would take a healthy, steadily growing economy and market over that any day of the week. Not realistic but as steady an economy as possible is something to strive for.

Crashes only have to happen to subside greed.

ZenOps
08-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Its like nekkid bungie jumping with the cord wrapped around your genitals!

Whee!

Cos
08-24-2015, 11:06 AM

M.alex
08-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Granted I'm very uneducated on the nuances of the stock market but, crashes happen. Is it great? No. Is it expected? It should be.

The problem is people forget that and expect markets to go up indefinitely. With all the fake money floating around people have been conditioned markets don't lose, money is virtually free, etc.. etc...

I for one would gladly welcome the return of 20% interest rates.

Toma
08-24-2015, 11:11 AM

I would take a healthy, steadily growing economy and market over that any day of the week. Not realistic but as steady an economy as possible is something to strive for.

Yup. But you support crony capitalsims control of the markets, industries, countries?

Sorry. If You let people that control capital, control society, and this is what you get.

Best coping strategy is diversify, reduce risk, and double down when the shit hits the gutter..... as it always has.

Crony capitalists can never have enough money and power. They cant make the shit fast enough, or take it from the poor.

spikerS
08-24-2015, 11:11 AM

I disagree. Crashes tend to spawn more greed IMO.

Jlude
08-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by suntan
Buy Mortimer, buy!

:rofl: :rofl: Shut your mouth Randolph

As for the market as it is right now, all I can say is FFS. I really don't know what kind of impact this is going to have short term. I can say that ever since I got whacked by the 07 recession, I've been waiting and ready for the next one and I plan to come out of it better than I went in. Was hoping I had a few more years before it happened, but you never can tell.

revelations
08-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Yes, many causes - over leveraged Oriental investors are just one.
Life will go on. Many people and businesses will have a "reset" in terms of their way of operating. Efficient people and corporate systems will prevail in the end.

This is a just a natural order of complex systems, happens in nature as well all the time.

max_boost
08-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Economic war is here folks. Sell yourself to make ends meet. :devil:

Toma
08-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

Rob, I agree!

suntan
08-24-2015, 11:39 AM

Rob, I agree! And this is why everybody knows you're a fucking moron.

Toma
08-24-2015, 11:50 AM
And this is why everybody knows you're a fucking moron.

A system whos foundation rests on infinite growth, in a finite world is doomed to fail.

Healthy interest rates slow growth to managable levels, and mitigate bubbles.

Granted, 20% is high. But 1.5% is a disaster.

But our money masters dont want slow growth. They can't make money fast enough to ever satisfy their lust.

Cos
08-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Toma
08-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Supply and demand? really? in a rigged game?

lol. Never happens. Supply and demand, and free market theory rests on specific assumptions, that can never exist, outside of maybe a garage sale.

Neoclassical economics and supply and demand theory are very shaky imo.

Obviously, since they are clearly not working. Fail to make testable hypothesis, that are supported with predictable and actual results, and we keep.seeong the same booms and busts, and wealth transfer from the bottom to the top (income distibutions of new money, and old)

HiTempguy1
08-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Supply and demand? really? in a rigged game?

lol. Never happens. Supply and demand, and free market theory rests on specific assumptions, that can never exist, outside of maybe a garage sale.

Neoclassical economics and supply and demand theory are very shaky imo.

Obviously, since they are clearly not working. Fail to make testable hypothesis, that are supported with predictable and actual results, and we keep.seeong the same booms and busts, and wealth transfer from the bottom to the top (income distibutions of new money, and old)

Oh man, its pretty bad when I agree with Toma.

But the fact is, hiding behind "theory" vs the reality of the situation is asinine.

So eventually $1 worth of things will cost $2 but everything else will be balanced.

Except for wages, which is a fairly important part of the equation. :dunno:

Cos
08-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Toma
08-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Cos

What do you think the A.S. curve is? Wages impact the cost to produce something and Yf is at 'Full Employment' which is natural employment which occurs when Potential GDP = Actual GDP.

So what the graph is saying is that at point 'E' the cost is Pe. At Point E2 price level equals E2 which means that the overall costs are the same and equilibrium is achieved.

And wages also affect the demand curve, and wages come from the supply side, so how are they independent, as required by supply and demand theory?

The theory implodes onto itself.

Cos
08-24-2015, 01:42 PM

Toma
08-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Cos

They aren't independent. That is why they balance at whatever level eventually since there is only so much that can be produced at a finite level as you mention (correctly) it just doesn't 'snap' there and inflation is easier to have than deflation since, depending on the school you adhere to, the price level is sticky in the downward direction.

You are confusing them with "price".

Cos
08-24-2015, 02:07 PM

sexualbanana
08-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Sell yourself to make ends meet. :devil:

Talk about a shrinking market...

Toma
08-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Cos

https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/econ102jpw/case&fair%20ppts/ch13.ppt

Pay attention.

The demand curve is plotted independent of supply.

It is a simple graph showing the level of purchasing, at a series of prices.

The Supply curve is also plotted independently of demand. It is units of production, plotted at a series of prices.

When they are plotted on the same graph, the intercept point is said to be the "market equilibrium"

The theory, to work with it's 4 direct laws, relies on the corollaries of having rational producers, rational consumers, and independent supply and demand.

Those are the requirements for the theory to work.

We neither have rationality, nor do we have independence.

That is just one reason that it fails.

Cos
08-24-2015, 02:31 PM

ZenOps
08-24-2015, 05:28 PM
I've never seen a more convincing warning sign than this one.

They actually gave people to the end of the day to exit the market if they wished to do so, its quite rare to give people a chance.

I can imagine if this happens again, they will completely freeze the markets like they try to do in China.

ZenOps
08-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Economic war is here folks. Sell yourself to make ends meet. :devil:

Whoa, don't go all in greek just yet.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-24/less-10-years-federal-reserve-has-driven-millions-american-women-prostitution

davidI
08-24-2015, 09:48 PM
The loonie is being obliterated. All of my travel plans just got that much more expensive....

Cos
08-24-2015, 10:16 PM

frizzlefry
08-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Saw a report on the news today about how the trading today was "off", as in not natural. The general suspicion was that it is software doing much of the trading. Programmed to sell at a certain level, buy at a certain level. Fluctuations in the market did not match curve programmed into them and they freaked out. IE the middle class Chinese buy high and hope it goes higher because they don't know what they are doing. This threw the curve programmed into the software off and they dumped stock.

That's what "the guy" on TV said. I don't claim to be an expert :)

heavyD
08-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

LOL. I feel dumber just reading here sometimes. You can make your case without jumping to extremes.

Darell_n
08-25-2015, 07:35 AM
A lot of people made a shit ton of money on 'black' Monday.

ZenOps
08-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Happy days for brokers.. Or to put it more succinctly, the people who own the computers that take a cut of every transaction.

Ve04-BcEP94

There are those that are in the camp that Chinese money has to flow somewhere. But I'm in the camp that the US markets have a long way to fall to catchdown to the Asian markets.

riander5
08-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
A lot of people made a shit ton of money on 'black' Monday.

True - if you had the balls to get in at market open !

Or buy at market close and hold overnight

JustinL
08-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps

There are those that are in the camp that Chinese money has to flow somewhere. But I'm in the camp that the US markets have a long way to fall to catchdown to the Asian markets.

I think it's the other way around. Plot the Dow vs Shanghai. Shanghai had a crazy run up that I don't think is finished bursting. By comparison, the US market looks like a flat line.

ZenOps
08-25-2015, 12:10 PM
I think the Nasdaq is frothier than the Asian markets.

Facebook should probably be more like $5, but its all just opinion. I mean really, twenty years ago it was called Internet Relay Chat, and it didn't make a dime. I hear that Facebook now accepts donations (much like PBS television.)

JustinL
08-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Depending on the timeline, I would agree that an argument could be made for that.

Facebook does actually make pretty good profit, but I get your point about overvaluation.

ZenOps
08-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Todays trading just as strange as yesterdays.

Looked like a nice recovery and then just lost steam by the end of the day.

Toma
08-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

LOL. I feel dumber just reading here sometimes. You can make your case without jumping to extremes.

Easy. At 20% interest, I could double my money every 3.5 years.... SAFELY

Fuck yeah. Who the fuck wouldn't want that?

Toma
08-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by davidI
The loonie is being obliterated. All of my travel plans just got that much more expensive....

This is just back to the status quo, when the US is half ass healthy economically.

The last 8 years were a severe anomily.

When I bought my first dyno, I paid $1.52 for every US $

killramos
08-26-2015, 06:52 AM

Easy. At 20% interest, I could double my money every 3.5 years.... SAFELY

Fuck yeah. Who the fuck wouldn't want that?

Lets see, how about all of your beloved poor, elderly, disabled people you are always referencing who cant make ends meet let alone put money in the bank to collect interest :rolleyes:

Low interest rate loans are basically the only thing allowing low socioeconomic grouped people to move into the middle class.

The only people who could possibly want 20% interest rates are those who are very wealthy and would never take on debt anyways.

Toma
08-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Lets see, how about all of your beloved poor, elderly, disabled people you are always referencing who cant make ends meet let alone put money in the bank to collect interest :rolleyes:

Low interest rate loans are basically the only thing allowing low socioeconomic grouped people to move into the middle class.

The only people who could possibly want 20% interest rates are those who are very wealthy and would never take on debt anyways.

The people I work with, have no credit, or extravagent credit needs. Inflation would fall, people living paycheck to paycheck or on fixed income, like retirees and disability insurance would all benefit.

So, high interest would hurt credit whores, help low/fixed income people and savers.

:clap:

Im prettu sure no one moves up a class by getting a loan. Financing an expensive car might make you feel wealthy, but it doesnt facilitate socioeconomic migration in the positive direction. Debt usually has the opposite affect.

Toma
08-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Interesting historical data.
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/selected_historical_v122530.pdf

suntan
08-26-2015, 10:31 AM

The people I work with, have no credit, or extravagent credit needs. Inflation would fall, people living paycheck to paycheck or on fixed income, like retirees and disability insurance would all benefit.

So, high interest would hurt credit whores, help low/fixed income people and savers.

:clap:

Im prettu sure no one moves up a class by getting a loan. Financing an expensive car might make you feel wealthy, but it doesnt facilitate socioeconomic migration in the positive direction. Debt usually has the opposite affect. Well it's confirmed, this man has no brain.

Toma
08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Well it's confirmed, this man has no brain.

Sounds like a few people need to read a book or two.

Or watch the tv show, Till Debt Do Us Part lol

:poosie:

ZenOps
08-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Dow up 619 points. Whee! Buy sell buy sell, do it sixty times and the computer broker owns it all.

KYgEn_xQQKI